Forum › Between Philia and Eros discussion

Tmp_11996-nanofate-3-11937795520
joined Dec 6, 2013

enjoys the drama

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

To all of the people who says that sleeping with whoever you want is being a slut, get your heads checked. I would consider myself a bitch/slut if I broke someone's heart, hurt someone I was in a proper relationship with because I cheated on them. But if you're NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP (or if you're in an open relationship) then you can do as you please, who are others to meddle in your sexuality? Are men who sleep with some woman they met in a bar sluts too then? No, they are treated as they should, as healthy people who have sexual frustration and live their sexuality. Seriously I'm so sick of the way some poeple think, we're in the 21st century for God's sake.

The worst part is that the same womans who fight for being treated equally are the first to call another slut and discriminate other women for their physique. "She dresses like that because she's such a slut"; "She hangs out with guys because she's such a slut"

Edit: censored the insults cause I don't want a mod to have to do it, thought I don't see mods censoring the "slut" (which is also a really bad insult).

Edit x2: I'm sorry, I only read the first post that were arguing about how much of a slut she was, but now I realize that there're also post from people who share the same opinion as me. I don't intend to drag the discussion further if there're no more shitposts after this.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 2:51PM

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

wat

phantheky2000
joined Oct 12, 2015

To all of the people who says that sleeping with whoever you want is being a slut, get your heads checked. I would consider myself a bitch/slut if I broke someone's heart, hurt someone I was in a proper relationship with because I cheated on them. But if you're NOT IN A FUCKING RELATIONSHIP (or if you're in an open relationship) then you can do as you please, who are others to meddle in your sexuality? Are men who sleep with some woman they met in a bar sluts too then? No, they are treated as they should, as healthy people who have sexual frustration and live their sexuality. Seriously I'm so sick of the way some poeple think, we're in the 21st century for God's sake.

The worst part is that the same womans who fight for being treated equally are the first to call another slut and discriminate other women for their physique. "She dresses like that because she's such a slut"; "She hangs out with guys because she's such a slut" fucking idiots.

Some people just like calling other people slut or bitch, maybe that make they think that they are better than them but they are the real bitch

joined Feb 18, 2015

The end of this chapter certainly leaves one with a feeling of trepidation...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think the question here isn't what the readers think of alleged promiscuity (or even actual) so much as what the writer wants to communicate to the audience using that. What do they think of promiscuity? What do they believe their audience thinks of it? That's the real question.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

I think the question here isn't what the readers think of alleged promiscuity (or even actual) so much as what the writer wants to communicate to the audience using that. What do they think of promiscuity? What do they believe their audience thinks of it? That's the real question.

I honestly think they didn't think at all about it because almost all popular characters in manga are automatically considered a player who sleeps around and is not serious about their relationship w/e there are rumors or not and w/e it is true or not. Calling a character slut based on few evidence is such cliche in manga I don't even pay attention when it is used, since most of the time it turns out to not be true and if it is, then manga makes it clear pretty fast. So it is so funny that it is the only thing most of people here can think about reading that chapter. Manga characters are just jelly by default and likes to badmouth people who are more popular than them. Good image and making sure there are no bad rumors about you is usually a important part of stories, cos people gossip all the time and especially Japanese pay a lot attention to it because of their culture.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 2:58PM

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

I'd say that Nikaidou just feels empty inside and is looking for someone to fill the void. There's been no indication she's actually sleeping with any of her dates, but we do know she's a serial dater and if she'd rather try out dating the girl she just found out had a crush on her rather than be single for a whole 24 hour period then perhaps something is wrong emotionally.

What the "something wrong" is could be anyone's guess. Lesbian at heart and doesn't know it? Sexual abuse at home? General emptiness? Parents don't love her/never home? Not a clue. Need more chapters.

EDIT: Also, having serial boyfriends is not necessarily "promiscuity". Nikaidou could be dumping them all before sex, or be getting bored of them after having sex a few times. We just don't know yet.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 3:11PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hence "alleged".

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Hence "alleged".

Changing boyfriends often isn't alleged though. It is confirmed. Even Nikaidou confirms it. Kurumi's friend outright says there must be something wrong with Nikaidou's character, and that is probably the flag the author means for us to see.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Tiger posted:

Hence "alleged".

Changing boyfriends often isn't alleged though.

Being a slut (having sex with all her boyfriends) is. It is also possible, and I think it is the case, she dates a lot because she seeks love, but she is the one getting dumped and there is a chance one of reasons is exactly her not wanting to sleep with them just like that.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Drama ahead! brace yourself for impact!!!

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

This isn't going to end well, is it?

Max_stirner
joined Feb 2, 2013

This isn't going to end well, is it?

^

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Well, now I think Nika's home life isn't too great

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

I was skeptical about reading this based Utoptia's comment in general discussion.

And after reading the comment section, I think I should not touch this one.

Definitely gonna skip it.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

It's like Syrupy Love without sex. (Yet.)

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

was this re released? i feel like I read these 2 chapters befor XD

Ava2
joined Jun 11, 2014

She seems like one of those broken kinda of characters that doesn't have any real attachment to a person and can just switch from lover to lover. Might be going out with Hoshigawa out of pity, which is why she took the bow off similar to when she was crying at the shop. Hoshigawa will hopefully win her over later by sticking with her despite her flaws and not judging her off of a past incident, then bam yuri blossom.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Nikaido reminds me in a small way of Suzumiya Haruhi. I think their love has every sign of succeeding. They aren't sisters, and neither one is in grade school.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 7:00PM

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

I don't see what could go wrong?!

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

To all of the people who says that sleeping with whoever you want is being a slut, get your heads checked. I would consider myself a bitch/slut if I broke someone's heart, hurt someone I was in a proper relationship with because I cheated on them. But if you're NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP (or if you're in an open relationship) then you can do as you please, who are others to meddle in your sexuality? Are men who sleep with some woman they met in a bar sluts too then? No, they are treated as they should, as healthy people who have sexual frustration and live their sexuality. Seriously I'm so sick of the way some poeple think, we're in the 21st century for God's sake.

The worst part is that the same womans who fight for being treated equally are the first to call another slut and discriminate other women for their physique. "She dresses like that because she's such a slut"; "She hangs out with guys because she's such a slut"

Edit: censored the insults cause I don't want a mod to have to do it, thought I don't see mods censoring the "slut" (which is also a really bad insult).

Edit x2: I'm sorry, I only read the first post that were arguing about how much of a slut she was, but now I realize that there're also post from people who share the same opinion as me. I don't intend to drag the discussion further if there're no more shitposts after this.

"men who sleep with some woman they met in a bar sluts t".

In my opinion, I would think yes, regardless of gender.

JadeVanadium
joined Feb 2, 2017

For some reason I wasted nearly two hours this morning trying to come up with a way to diffuse the debate that wouldn't agitate anyone, or take three paragraphs, couldn't do it. Good job.

If I were to take a guess at it, I'd hold the author to a higher standard of realism. I'd say the gossip is intended to be exactly like real gossip: It represents the desires of the people who spread it more than the reality of who it's about. Girls in school see this girl who's popular with boys, get jealous, spread nasty rumors, like clockwork. She does have a lot of trouble forming strong mutual bonds with her boyfriends, though, for whatever reasons. Like MC's friend said, it would make you want to think there's something wrong with her character, but I think that's a short sighted way to look at it. Rather than her not having lasting relations with boyfriends, I'm more concerned with her not having lasting relations with regular friends, due to their jealousy, which really isn't her fault. She probably doesn't have anyone to talk with, or to give her good advice. Anyone who does give her good advice would probably call her a bitch or a slut while doing so, how would she be able to listen to the advice of someone who hates her? In the end, people really are just a product of their environment.

So my guess about what the author intends is for MC to take the place of someone who can give her real advice, from a place of legitimate caring. Seeing Nika cry, it's telling us that MC is the only one who can see her as an actual person. That's the direction I'm looking forward to.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 9:47PM

AWalkingPizza
Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

As always, I tend to suspect of this kind of character's intentions. However, with such a masterful title as "Between Philia and Eros", consider me sucked in

ikr >~< it just lured me in as well oh welp i feel like its getting interesting sorta now

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Saw that coming.
Whatever it's going to be good end or bad end,I just hope that it's not going to pissed me off.

To reply you must either login or sign up.