Forum › Philosophia discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Does anyone else thinks this was sponsored by the tabaco industry?

Does anyone else thinks (sic) this takes place in a country where smoking is still pretty common?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thank you for smoking. :-( ruins the whole series to me.

Perhaps you might find something you like in these fine series:

http://dynasty-scans.com/series

joined Apr 1, 2013

^: you hate smoking so much it ruins the manga to you ? :O
and, just as I said, I'm continuing reading this :)
anw, Right I dont like smoking but if my friend decides to smoke, I won't stop being his friend, however when he smokes I'll be off somewhere else. :3 I'm sure he would understand it too.

Yeah i would stop reading mangas, since "manga" is a friend of mine^^

I dont dislike smoking as a way to portait a part of society, just the amount of using it as a story element was to excessive to really connect with any of the characters.

last edited at Dec 26, 2013 4:23PM

joined Nov 11, 2013

Cigarettes... No, there's more to say.

joined Mar 30, 2012

maybe you can pretend the cigarettes are something else instead, like.. pocky -.- so far it doesn't really matter does it

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

maybe you can pretend the cigarettes are something else instead, like.. pocky -.- so far it doesn't really matter does it

Essentially. It's mainly an excuse to bring the characters together so it's primarily a motif. It could have been pretty much anything that served the same purpose. Cooking like in The Secret Recipe, or performance as in Cirque Arachne. The real story isn't about that, it's the interpersonal relationship between the characters.

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

Seikusa: sorry I missed your real point. Yeah it's just chapter 1 so far so I guess i must wait to see how the story is going to be next. The girls are the MC though. Other elements the author uses are not supposed to overshadow them.
Anw, I suddenly remember reading a oneshot in which the MC smokes because she had unrequited love with her roommate and she had cigarette's bitterness to remind her of that :[, although the roommate told her it's not good for her to smoke like that. I forgot the oneshot name tho.... edit: yeah I found it http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cigarettes_chocolate X"D

last edited at Dec 27, 2013 4:49PM

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

Feckin' dying for a ciggy right now. This usually never happens.

Art11a
joined Feb 3, 2013

while i read it, just before the 'cigarette kiss' page, i have a premonition tht it would happen. is it because i already see it in Black Laggoon. But the 'kiss' is still hot though XD

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

Wow, nice! This seems to be promising~ :3

That's what I was thinking. Looking forward to the rest.

iminkalifornia
Shizuku%20%232
joined Oct 9, 2013

May I have some more?

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

Looks interesting. The relationship started off as normal strangers that only wanted a light, no love-at-first-sight kinda thing which is nice. Then a year later, became friends. The pacing isn't quite slow but not fast either... It's just normal.

How normally relationships begin anyways...

Probably watch out for this one but I'm not sure... I read almost anything in the Reader anyways... A month of not reading caused me more than twenty pages to read...

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

I'm baaaadddd. I want Ai to end up with step-mom >.> Even though it's not going to happen.

joined Jul 27, 2013

looks like stepmom's gonna play a bigger role.
and is it just me or tomo is how you would describe amano irl?

joined Jun 2, 2013

Maybe it's me but I think Tomo-san might have a crush on her step-mom. Don't ask me why, I can't really explain it, it's just this feeling I get from that smidgen of interaction between them.

E8xkjfiweawhwl5
joined Sep 23, 2013

Romance with the stepmother, WHERE? The child is also an enigma

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

... I actually thought that um... the step-mom is senpai's girlfriend lol... and they adopted kid lol.. such imagination of mine is shameless rofl...

Well, that revelation sure was quick... and normal once again. I don't have this tingly feeling when i read this but i'll watch out for this one still...

joined Mar 23, 2013

Maybe it's me but I think Tomo-san might have a crush on her step-mom. Don't ask me why, I can't really explain it, it's just this feeling I get from that smidgen of interaction between them.

It could be, if she does indeed have a crush on her... well the stepmom obviously knows about it... she looks well versed in all things social. What I mean by that, she looks like she probably was the queen in all the "girl" cliques she was ever in. She does give me that feeling. The overly fake smiles, the small talk... Lying about being surprised that tomo had a friend ( she already had 2 cups of coffee ready ).

More importantly, there's something REALLY sinister in this chapter...
The looks that we're exchanged between Tomo and her stemom in the middle of page 11... Tomo looks very wary, and the stepmom's smile plus eyes ( this may just the mangaka screwing them up... but something is looks very off here ).

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but...

Romance with the stepmother, WHERE? The child is also an enigma

Lesbian affair with your step-mother... man that's quite the forbidden fruit, delicious.

I don't know why the child would be an "enigma" he's just the little brother.

wow, this character depth thing is getting on my nerves, i really hope that they can reach some common ground on how they feel about each other in the next chapter.

joined Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, that look that was exchanged between the step-mom and Tomo-san was interesting. Also, on page 16 when Tomo accidentally hugged Ai-chan, she said "Huh, my mistake." I think it means that she had wanted to hug someone close to her subconsciously, and to me the most likely person would have been the step-mom since she was surprised Ai-chan was there. This could have all been my speculation, and that I'm reading into it too much.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Essentially. It's mainly an excuse to bring the characters together so it's primarily a motif. It could have been pretty much anything that served the same purpose. Cooking like in The Secret Recipe, or performance as in Cirque Arachne. The real story isn't about that, it's the interpersonal relationship between the characters.

Yep. Cigarettes and smoking are the main theme of this story... and it would actually be quite odd if they took it away in the following chapters. But it's okay, I understand where you are all coming from. :) I do wish it revolved more around books. I'm curious as to what kind of books Tomo reads.

Yeah, that look that was exchanged between the step-mom and Tomo-san was interesting. Also, on page 16 when Tomo accidentally hugged Ai-chan, she said "Huh, my mistake." I think it means that she had wanted to hug someone close to her subconsciously, and to me the most likely person would have been the step-mom since she was surprised Ai-chan was there. This could have all been my speculation, and that I'm reading into it too much.

As for this... I feel like there's something going between Tomo and her step-mother too, but I hesitate to say it's an "incestuous" affair. Though that would quite bold of Amano, since s/he (could someone confirm Amano's gender for me?) mostly writes lighthearted fun doujins.

Philosophia reminds me of http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cigarettes_chocolate

last edited at Feb 3, 2014 2:35AM

joined Jul 27, 2013

Though that would quite bold of Amano, since s/he (could someone confirm Amano's gender for me?) mostly writes lighthearted fun doujins.

Amano's a she. I met her once. And if you'd ask me how does she look like, she kinda resembles tomo. Petite, hair just about her shoulders, wears glasses. That's all i can remember. Is should've taken a picture.

Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

I met her once.

Coiled green chains of jealousy surround me.

Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

Oh, Tomo mentioned the oral stage which she reasons for binge smoking -

"According to Freud, the earliest stage of life, the oral stage , lasts for the first 18 months following birth. In the oral stage, libidinal impulses are best satisfied through stimulation of the mouth area, usually through feeding or sucking. At this stage, the child is entirely dependent on caregivers for gratification, and the central issues of this stage are issues of one’s dependence and the reliability of others. If the child’s caregiver, typically the mother, is not adequately available to the child, he or she can develop deep mistrust and fear of abandonment. Children fi xated at the oral stage develop an “oral personality,” characterized by excessive dependence on others but mistrust of others’ love. A number of habits focused on the mouth area— for example, smoking or excessive drinking and eating—are said to reflect an oral character." (Nolen-Hoeksema, 2010).

And talking about Freud's Oedipus Complex, that could really support the speculation that she likes her stepmom.

Anyways, Tomo should have watched this instead, she could've not been hospitalized. xD

last edited at Feb 3, 2014 4:49AM

Picartoprofile2
joined Mar 9, 2013

I also got that feeling.. I really wish I am wrong though haha.. though the exchange between them was quite visible.. anyway.. thanks for the chapter Yuri Project! XD

Elmo
joined Jan 23, 2014

Well, there could be a lot of possibilities, but like Ai I find Tomo more and more of a mystery. I was almost happy she pulled Ai into a hug but it does seem like it means something else, like all of you have said.

To reply you must either login or sign up.