Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

Whooooaaaaa. No wonder Sato's all kinds of wrong in the head.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

Aww poor Shouko, she had good intentions but i guess she wasn't ready for all of that fcked up shit. I hope she makes an appearance again in the plot

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

I still wish that Shouko will save Sato's sanity...if there's anything left to save.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Shouko didn't fail a test. The past two chapters were Sato's deliberate scheme to drive her away, just like all the other threats to her castle. Sato is very good at customizing her plots for each victim:

Sane friend (Shouko): Show her something unbelievably fucked up. Then, when she shows the slightest hesitation at getting involved (you know, the sane reaction), heap guilt upon her to make sure she never tries again.

Stalker (Suu): Give her everything she wants and more. Then, threaten to take it all away unless strict conditions are met--namely, stay away.

Adults (teacher and manager): Adults have a public face they need to protect, so threatening them with exposure is a good way to get them to back off and provide favors (trash disposal and higher pay).

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You know, I got the feeling that the Policeman was reluctant to leave. And that he will come back.

Because the abyss gazed back at him and saw through him.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Shouko didn't fail a test. The past two chapters were Sato's deliberate scheme to drive her away, just like all the other threats to her castle. Sato is very good at customizing her plots for each victim:

Sane friend (Shouko): Show her something unbelievably fucked up. Then, when she shows the slightest hesitation at getting involved (you know, the sane reaction), heap guilt upon her to make sure she never tries again.

Stalker (Suu): Give her everything she wants and more. Then, threaten to take it all away unless strict conditions are met--namely, stay away.

Adults (teacher and manager): Adults have a public face they need to protect, so threatening them with exposure is a good way to get them to back off and provide favors (trash disposal and higher pay).

I feel like there might be a little more depth in the case of Shouko - a possibility that Satou, deep down, felt some hope that she might be accepted, and that she pushed Shouko away partially as a defense to protect herself from one more rejection. I do believe that it was mainly a ploy, she was using Shouko as a pawn in her game, and this was her way of eliminating a piece that was no longer needed. But Satou's flashbacks after she leaves Shouko standing in the street show genuine pain.

Either way, it seems like it will be incredibly effective in getting Shouko to leave her alone. That girl will probably blame herself for this for the rest of her life, and will find approaching Satou again overwhelmingly difficult.

I do wonder though how Satou would've reacted if Shouko hadn't wavered like that.... It's really a question of how completely corrupted her soul is. Will she ever be able to trust anyone again?

last edited at Apr 6, 2017 7:16AM

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

Sato's auntie... she looks so gorgeous~ I like her^-^) and Shouko said that her voice is terribly gentle' holy shit! I kinda want to hear it so much now ><

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Sato's auntie... she looks so gorgeous~ I like her^-^) and Shouko said that her voice is terribly gentle' holy shit! I kinda want to hear it so much now ><

Kinda want to hit her too?

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Was there any character in the history of manga and anime like Satou's aunt?

Like it seemed that she is extremely sharp, extremely manipulative and corruptive. But instead of using for some grand scheme, she is only set it up to satisfy her submissive masochist nature.

And it's spooky as heck. Satou feels like a good lamb standing next to her.

Kaede
joined Nov 20, 2016

No matter how many times I read it, this page does not make sense. I get that it's supposed to be a flashback, but why is the aunt telling Satou of all people this? Surely the manga is not implying Satou is the one who inflicted all those wounds on her? Then again, note that little Satou's little stuffed bear had its head ripped off.

joined Dec 20, 2016

BUT WHO WAS BAG?

joined Dec 26, 2015

Was there any character in the history of manga and anime like Satou's aunt?

Like it seemed that she is extremely sharp, extremely manipulative and corruptive. But instead of using for some grand scheme, she is only set it up to satisfy her submissive masochist nature.

And it's spooky as heck. Satou feels like a good lamb standing next to her.

The closest character in manga and anime history so far would be Akane from Kuzu no Honkai xD

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

No matter how many times I read it, this page does not make sense. I get that it's supposed to be a flashback, but why is the aunt telling Satou of all people this? Surely the manga is not implying Satou is the one who inflicted all those wounds on her? Then again, note that little Satou's little stuffed bear had its head ripped off.

I don't really know what's going on in that flashback either.
The original text on from the flashback lines on 174-176:

「さとうちゃん」
「いいの」
「何をしたって かまわない」
「ね?」
大丈夫
どんな欲望でも 全部飲み込んで あげるから
だって それが
愛だから

One problem is that the lines serve two different functions: They're a continuation of the Aunt's lines in the present, and they're what she said in the flashback. There is some ambiguity in the lines, so they could mean slightly different things in the different scenes.

The main problem is that there's just not much there - two panels.

My assumption is that the child Satou was upset about something and threw a tantrum, destroying her toy. Her aunt responded to Satou the same way she did to whoever beat her up - "go ahead and do it, I'll happily swallow your every desire, because that's the meaning of love."

I'm not sure exactly what function this scene is supposed to serve - is our partial understanding intentional or not. Are we supposed to know exactly what happened? Is it just a snapshot meant to convey an impression of Satou's childhood? Is there more to the scene that will be revealed later? What seems to be most important is just the knowledge that this is the definition of love Satou grew up with, and what she is attempting to rebel against.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I thought it was one of the best page this chapter.

Obviously it was someone else who did those wounds to the aunt in the first panel. But to "train" the young Satou into participating in her twisted love, not only she demonstrated it to Satou (on how to do it), but also flipped Satou's switch (destroy her teddy bear) so Satou will have to vent anger on her

Basically the way Satou's aunt provoked violences from the policeman reminded Satou how she was also lured in the same way

It perfectly explained Satou's tendency to flip out into violence. She was trained that way

last edited at Apr 6, 2017 1:06PM

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

Kinda want to hit her too?

In more ways than one :)

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ooook the aunt is so much better than what I thought she'd be, a true masochist!!!
No wonder Satou is a bit bad in the head, dammit, I love, love this manga.

WAIT A MOMENT, I just looked closely at the Aunt's apartment secret room... is she like a prostitute or some kind of .. maybe is she in a sex club or something... could she be on drugs too? What is going on? why is she so fucked up!? I wanna meet her parents now!

last edited at Apr 6, 2017 9:34PM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

I used to think "this is a bad manga, but I still like it." After this chapter..I just don't know anymore. It might actually be more well written than I give it credit. Or I might be reading too much into it.

This looks like some kind of subversion of the yandere trope. Usually we have a plot with a innocent girl, in innocent moments that turns out to be a psychopath. Here we have a girl we believe is a psychopath, but that the more we learned about it, the more we realize how wrong we are. We though she killed her aunt, turns out her aunt is alive. We thought she wanted to off her friend, turns out she really just wanted to be her friend. Not to be rejected.

The point where she asks Shio what a friend is and both say they don't know it is pretty telling. Those are two lonely girls that were rejected by people around them. Sato in particular was rejected because she was "weird". Can we blame the kids who made her that lonely? We can't. We were sure she was a murder and crazy. We were sure she killed her aunt, and that turned out to be wrong. We were sure she would try to kill Shouko, but at the end she truly just wanted to be her friend. Sato is surrounded by awful people. Shouko is one of the few decent people around her, and Sato always treated her fair. But we made the same assumption the kids on her childhood did.

Again, I might be wrong. Who knows. But if I'm not, that's a pretty interesting approach to the genre. I'm curious about how the next chapters will go.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

+ shame, terrible shame in not being able to live up to her own expectations of her friendship ideals and support Sato
I was thinking about the guilt, but guilt could also prompt her to act and make up for it, but along with heavy shame, she might just hang her head so low she doesn't dare look back up.
Sato is very quick-witted, it's still very cool to see time after time

last edited at Apr 7, 2017 5:15AM

Clover0Project
Xxx
joined Nov 25, 2016

Oh my god, Sato's aunt is...creepily amazing, even more than expected. I think she acts as prostitute or something at times to satisfy her masochist tendencies...even so frontal. She's so sick.
This manga never fails to surprise me with more fucked up characters, really.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Oh my god, Sato's aunt is...creepily amazing, even more than expected. I think she acts as prostitute or something at times to satisfy her masochist tendencies...even so frontal. She's so sick.
This manga never fails to surprise me with more fucked up characters, really.

Yes, I thought the same, some sort of prostitute or maybe in a weird sex club/group.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I used to think "this is a bad manga, but I still like it." After this chapter..I just don't know anymore. It might actually be more well written than I give it credit. Or I might be reading too much into it.

This looks like some kind of subversion of the yandere trope. Usually we have a plot with a innocent girl, in innocent moments that turns out to be a psychopath. Here we have a girl we believe is a psychopath, but that the more we learned about it, the more we realize how wrong we are. We though she killed her aunt, turns out her aunt is alive. We thought she wanted to off her friend, turns out she really just wanted to be her friend. Not to be rejected.

The point where she asks Shio what a friend is and both say they don't know it is pretty telling. Those are two lonely girls that were rejected by people around them. Sato in particular was rejected because she was "weird". Can we blame the kids who made her that lonely? We can't. We were sure she was a murder and crazy. We were sure she killed her aunt, and that turned out to be wrong. We were sure she would try to kill Shouko, but at the end she truly just wanted to be her friend. Sato is surrounded by awful people. Shouko is one of the few decent people around her, and Sato always treated her fair. But we made the same assumption the kids on her childhood did.

Again, I might be wrong. Who knows. But if I'm not, that's a pretty interesting approach to the genre. I'm curious about how the next chapters will go.

Great analysis.

I means if the ending can show that Satou really is free of guilt of the blood-stains on her body (In chapter 1) and on the wall. Then, man, what a great writing and set-up this manga had.

I means the one where every1 believed to be a psychopath may be misunderstood all along? Damn

last edited at Apr 7, 2017 2:59PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Secret ending reveal: Shio's the murderer.

SniperPumpkin
joined Dec 26, 2015

Shiro's the mastermind she is just acting all cute while in real she is the devil her self.

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

BUT WHO WAS BAG?

Probly some inquisitive ex bf that got to close or maby the shio's mom. An idea that came to mind is sato stole the apartment from whoever lived there and thats whos in the bag. Honstly there are so many things t could be and almost no information hell it might not even be a human body.

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

Shiro's the mastermind she is just acting all cute while in real she is the devil her self.

And Sato being the agressive yandere is a ploy to protect everyone around her. Its not gona happen but if it did that would be so amazeing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.