Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

boring megane cunt

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I dunno about that comparison . . . or rather, maybe I agree but draw a contrasting conclusion. Amber Teahouse was mellow and relaxed and often comedic and pretty decidedly nonsexual, but underneath it all, it was solidly about the romance. "The confession" wasn't just something you could minus--the whole thing was always working towards the two of them being so solidly a couple that they had their lives planned together; if marriage had been an option, it would have been pencilled in for some time after the younger half got her pastrymaking certificate.

I do think this is like Amber Teahouse, by which I mean that although I'm enjoying the journey I am firmly expecting the destination--even if there's never a kiss, there will be commitment.

I agree - i was mostly comparing to amber tea house for the atmosphere and pace - and similar setups of 2 ladies who own a shop and the school girls who love them and - hopefully - comes to work there and spend their life together.

Though early on Amber is mostly about just the younger girls love drawing her there like Matsuri - it becomes clear by the middle of it that the tea lady loves her too - and then the rest is about there commitment to each other and the shop - whereas miss sunflower lacks that later aspect.

And I also expect the commitment - and will still hope for the kiss :)

Also - thanks for pointing out the cat thing lol - it made me smile - I am familiar with I am a cat for the same reason - I've heard it mention in at least 10 anime / manga - but this reference to it flew over my head.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 6:27PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

boring megane cunt

What a bizarre thing to say.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

boring megane cunt

What a bizarre thing to say.

Was gonna say - I can't imagine a character less deserving of vitriolic attack.

She also isn't boring at all. Boring = no character, back story, motivation, quirks, etc etc - and miss sunflower has plenty of all of those and more going for her as a character.

last edited at Jan 30, 2017 6:24PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

You are right it IS about miss sunflower opening up and rediscovering life after the original miss sunflowers death bought miss sunflowers life to a stand still. And it IS Matsuri who is the catalyst for it.

You are also right that miss sunflower seems to be coming aware of Matsuri's importance to her in her life. BUT- I never saw yet a hint it was in a romantic way from her side. But more of a get Matsuri to stay with her - work in the bookshop etc because she is really important to her way.

Maybe with that realization will come romantic feelings - I hope they do! Just the author hasn't shown us anything like that yet.

Miss Sunflower doesn't seem to be the type of person who understands love, so i guess that would be her way of showing her "love" for Matsuri and the best way to end this series without actually showing any explicit romantic displays of affection.

Oversimplying here but to me it's more about the journey, personal growth, the time they spend together, developing bonds... The romantic feelings are at the core of it all, but they're also almost incidental in a way

I think its a good way of simplifying it. But, what i'm trying to say is that Miss Sunflower's romantic feeling might be different than Matsuri's or anyone else and that we would get an ending where her love for Matsuri would be implied in a way that only Matsuri understands.

This would probably be one of the better outcomes for the manga, with the right amount of fluffy sap and still keeping with the themes of the series.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

I find it funny that people are asking Miss Sunflower if she's meeting with Matsuri like it's the most natural thing.

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

Miss sun flower detour is so relaxing

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

I swear this manga has been out since the dynasty site's format was before how it is currently. I was like likely 13 now 18. Man mangas can really drag. I remember when the format was just a bunch of mangas with their chapters and a bunch of scrambled one shots at the bottom. I probably read 98% of it all too. Like the whole time I was 13/14 I was just reading on my side on my couch or bed. Never looked back after that. (Meaning never fell in love with any other genre other than yuri) Nothing can beat yuri for me. It's a need for me.

yups drag indeed -,-
well , at least we got this chap in the end,
its better than nothin, Id rather waiting for years but knowing it would come out than waiting in uncertainty

for ex 'under one roof manga or exciting feeling/fluttering feeling, kindred spirit on the roof manga, etc. I waslike waiting forever for those

yups, youre absolutely right nothin can beat yuri genre, no Yuri no Life XD

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Biology will agree someday. I believe.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

drpepperfan posted:

Kawaii mentioned that after the last release: "Oh, before I forget, we decided to change Miss Sunflower’s name to Himawari-san from the next chapter onward. Using Miss Sunflower was decided by the first translator of this series and we kept it this way so far, but the group has changed greatly over the time, and we think that keeping the name more to the original fits better."

Personally I think it was a bad choice. It's really jarring to suddenly change things after 30 chapters like that and Himawari-san just sounds so much more generic than Miss Sunflower which is really distinctive and feels very fitting for the story.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Matsuri acted a little nervous like being with Fuuko was cheating on Miss Sunflower, I thought. But anyway, they need to start officially dating, and since Matsuri's done all the work so far, it's got to come from Miss Sunflower's side. I was a little worried about the HS sempai, who seems very pretty, but she's mostly there to tell Miss Sunflower that Matsuri's influence has caused her to look happier, I think.

Clipboard00
joined Oct 30, 2015

So slice of life...

So sweet.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

what do you mean by that ? biology ?

i dont think biology input is necessary here

last edited at Feb 1, 2017 1:54AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It would be great if two elderly lesbians came into the bookstore and told Matsuri and Miss Sunflower about their long life and partnership together.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

sheska posted:

what do you mean by that ? biology ?

i dont think biology input is necessary here

Just a lame joke about procreation, or lack thereof. Nevermind, I'll see myself out

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

It would be great if two elderly lesbians came into the bookstore and told Matsuri and Miss Sunflower about their long life and partnership together.

Yup it would :) That happens in Amber tea-house doesn't it - that what made you think of it?

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/chatting_at_the_amber_teahouse_ch05#7

YeShallBeAsGods
Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

Is there a new translator? It seems odd to switch to 'Himawari san' now after 30 chapters of 'miss sunflower'.

Kawaii mentioned that after the last release: "Oh, before I forget, we decided to change Miss Sunflower’s name to Himawari-san from the next chapter onward. Using Miss Sunflower was decided by the first translator of this series and we kept it this way so far, but the group has changed greatly over the time, and we think that keeping the name more to the original fits better."

D:

Personally I think it was a bad choice. It's really jarring to suddenly change things after 30 chapters like that and Himawari-san just sounds so much more generic than Miss Sunflower which is really distinctive and feels very fitting for the story.

Seconded. Hurts a surprising amount for a series I've been following for so long. Really hard to read each time they say her name because I'm thinking "Miss Sunflower" every single time. And the, like, emotional weight is completely gone in the new name. Almost the feel of a new character. Bad feelings in the stomach while reading, is what I'm getting at. Not sure if everyone else had quite the visceral reaction.

But, well, books and bookworms and the slice of life aspect made the story personal. I feel like we lost a little bit of Miss Sunflower :(

last edited at Feb 4, 2017 1:37AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Seconded. Hurts a surprising amount for a series I've been following for so long. Really hard to read each time they say her name because I'm thinking "Miss Sunflower" every single time. And the, like, emotional weight is completely gone in the new name. Almost the feel of a new character. Bad feelings in the stomach while reading, is what I'm getting at. Not sure if everyone else had quite the visceral reaction.

But, well, books and bookworms and the slice of life aspect made the story personal. I feel like we lost a little bit of Miss Sunflower :(

I'd proffer it stay as Miss sunflower but I have to respect the decision of those putting in the hard work. I raised it on kawii scans and was told it was partly down to 'Miss sunflower' seeming too formal - which I can't really say ever struck me before - and the fact that in upcoming vol 5 her name becomes a more important plot point - and maybe you'd have to raise 'Himawari-san' at that point because it wouldn't work as Miss sunflower for some reason?

One thing to keep in mind is Matsuri has actually been calling her Himawari-san all along - (in Japanese) which I knew - and normally you wouldn't translate a character name - i.e Cardcaptor cherry blossom.

Even still I proffer the uniqueness and sound of 'Miss sunflower' - and have known her as that for SO long - (like 7+ years?) it's hard to change at this point.

last edited at Mar 5, 2017 8:37PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

elevown posted:

Even still I proffer the uniqueness and sound of 'Miss sunflower' - and have known her as that for for SO long - (like 7+ years?) it's hard to change at this point.

This is probably the biggest issue. If it had started out as Himawari-san then you wouldn't be hearing complaints. But changing it after so long is going to be jarring or even confusing and will feel quite arbitrary. It should've stayed as Miss Sunflower for consistency's sake.

YeShallBeAsGods
Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

elevown posted:

Even still I proffer the uniqueness and sound of 'Miss sunflower' - and have known her as that for for SO long - (like 7+ years?) it's hard to change at this point.

This is probably the biggest issue. If it had started out as Himawari-san then you wouldn't be hearing complaints. But changing it after so long is going to be jarring or even confusing and will feel quite arbitrary. It should've stayed as Miss Sunflower for consistency's sake.

Yeah, that's my issue too. It's been so long and is such a defining trait of her character. To me, it's wrapped up in who she is. It feels like the Miss Sunflower on the page doesn't match the one in my mind anymore is where the discontinuity is coming from is what I'm saying.

Untitlsed
joined Jul 20, 2013

i just adores the way the author draw it, it look so beautifully elegant and putted deep feeling into it

joined Feb 23, 2016

Is it just me or has Miss.Sunflower finally got it?? That's she likes her~

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

This series never fails to warm my heart.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

No, not just you, I felt that way too. And not just that . . . it's like she finally felt like she could step forward and live in the present, let go of the past a little.
Beautiful chapter.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Seems like she still didn't. The virginity is too strong in Miss Himawari.

To reply you must either login or sign up.