Forum › Our Journey to Lesbian Motherhood discussion

joined Aug 4, 2014

When I listen to people who claim they are normal compared to those [insert your favourite homophobic slur]... Yeah, stay out of normal, kids. Vote abnormal for the new normal.

Cate
joined May 15, 2015

wow Ch3 got super real. it was great and important though. The concept of family shouldn't be bogged down by societal conventions

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

I have a 'normal' family and they mistreated me.

Ouch, this chap just got real.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

How could a parent hurt their child when they come out to them? I can never understand such cruelty.

Tell me about it. I mean, coming out as gay or trans is no easy thing. My kid ended up in counseling for a while, just trying to figure themselves out, never mind how to explain it to others. But now they feel guilty complaining about any little difficulties they face just because they've met so many people--through the counselors' group sessions and other organizations they've gotten involved in--who are in so much worse situations... homeless, disowned, beaten, abused in the name of religion...the list goes on. Breaks my heart sometimes.

Of course, explaining the surgery to the grandparents was no easy task, either. ;-)

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

As a child of two mothers myself, I will say that none of the worries they had in this chapter applied to me. In fact my parents are so good at parenting, that it would have been selfish of them NOT to have kids.

last edited at Mar 27, 2017 10:28PM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

There is a decent amount of research suggesting that lesbian moms are some of the best parents out there. There are a few reasons suggested for that such as

1. They can't accident their way into children, so any children they do have they want.
  2. Basically everything discussed over the course of this chapter
  3. More general research that points out that women tend to be more empathetic overall than men (a lot of this comes down to the way that women and men are socialized to express emotion)
Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
  1. More general research that points out that women tend to be more empathetic overall than men (a lot of this comes down to the way that women and men are socialized to express emotion)

That point has almost everything to do with socialization and the cultural idea that women are "meant" to perform domestic labour while men do the important and profitable stuff. It is possible that said socialization does have an effect on the results, but it's almost certainly not innate.

My gut feeling is that there should be another point for lesbian, and gay for that matter, parents feeling more under the gun to "do it right" because they get made into de facto representatives of all same-sex parenting for the people around them.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

These are, indeed, both extremely important points :)
(To clarify, I don't mean to imply womens' empathy is innate, so much as emotional expression only gets so far into it, since there's a much bigger question of emotional labor I wanted to skip by on just because it's actually quite a complicated subject when getting into it)

last edited at Mar 27, 2017 11:55PM

joined May 24, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/our_journey_to_lesbian_motherhood_ch03#5

and thus the wonderful gift that cristianity gave to Japan has NEVER been forgiven

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

and thus the wonderful gift that cristianity gave to Japan has NEVER been forgiven

Still, only about 1% of the population there is actually Christian.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

You also don't want to know what Imperial Japan did to Christian missionaries.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

drhelsing posted:

I read it as the author, at least, thinking that the christian god was selfish in burdening his son with being "different". Which led to his betrayal, torture, death, etc... (but eventually to a spread of his worship-by-proxy beyond the Jewish people).

Somehow, I can agree with that way of thinking.

joined Mar 15, 2017

When I listen to people who claim they are normal compared to those [insert your favourite homophobic slur]... Yeah, stay out of normal, kids. Vote abnormal for the new normal.

well, as long as heterosexuality dominated the world, homosexuality will always be considered abnormal. its just how it goes.
you gotta admit that homosexuality is some kind of irregularity in the life cycle.

joined Jan 4, 2014

To be fair, only after they had tried to use converted houses to overthrow the emperor and government. Japan was very nonchalant about the whole missionary thing until then. After that they hanged the lords, gave the missionaries a few weeks to get off the island, and told the Portuguese to take a flying leap after they said their trading ships always come with missionaries. The Dutch traders then got the contracts. That some missionaries continued to insist on having to preach to the heathens was met with corresponding opposition.

Zaolu-newlandscapes-500x500
joined Jul 23, 2013

I knew the name of one of the authors rang a bell:

https://youtu.be/CKCgDAV16b4

I was thinking the same thing! Pleasantly surprised to see their story in manga form

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It got kind of bad. They saw them as foreign spies out to subvert Japan's way of life and render it subservient to European countries. Which, well, they were. Important factor in the success of colonial conquest in place after place. As they say here in Canada, "When the British came, we had the land and they had the bibles. Now they have the land and we have the bibles."

last edited at Apr 1, 2017 7:58PM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

well, as long as heterosexuality dominated the world, homosexuality will always be considered abnormal. its just how it goes.
you gotta admit that homosexuality is some kind of irregularity in the life cycle.

You can't really apply the word "normal" and "natural" for most of society's concept. Human society is constructed and unnatural. In fact, homossexuality is more natural than a lot of things we see as "normal", since it exists even on some animal species.
You're just seeing sex as only a mean for reproduction when, in fact, it's more than that, even outside human's life.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Abnormality is a ridiculous concept here anyway, as things like homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality are easily within expected human variation. As are other concepts treated as abnormal in the value judgement sense such as transgenderism. Certainly in terms of biology and sociology, none of these are even odd, let alone abnormal.

joined May 24, 2014

I did see Silence, and the worst part that at the end he DID realized that his mission was a doomed one

Well anyway

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/our_journey_to_lesbian_motherhood_ch04#7

Hospital? what nonsense! A good ol' turkey syringe will do! it DID work in don't breath after all!

last edited at Apr 1, 2017 11:32PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, that is a crappy rule they have! Take a huge number of people who actually would use donated sperm and prohibit hospitals from assisting them with insemination! Brilliant! (Not just Lesbians, but also single women and, very technically, anyone who is serving as a surrogate.)

joined Oct 10, 2016

I believe this is an adequate explanation of "moe."
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kiniro_mosaic_ch01_1#25

KINMOZA ON DYNASTY SCANS?! HOORAY! NO MORE LOOKING FOR MANGA ON POLISH STORES! but THEN! NOOOOOOOO WHY IS IT DROPPED?! I WANTED TO WATCH AN ANIME!

And...

AYAYA!

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

Well, that is a crappy rule they have! Take a huge number of people who actually would use donated sperm and prohibit hospitals from assisting them with insemination! Brilliant! (Not just Lesbians, but also single women and, very technically, anyone who is serving as a surrogate.)

Yes, and I doubt Japan is unique in doing that. I haven't researched the situation in other countries, but in the US, the question is whether your health insurance will cover it, because ART (assistive reproductive technology) can get expensive. If the insurance covers it at all, some restrict it to couples who would be able to get pregnant together if not for fertility problems.

joined May 24, 2014

Meh, I still think that they should go for the turkey srynge

joined Oct 17, 2015

I think that generally by "not normal," it is more like "something nobody has ever thought about." It is not so much that it because it is a minority as so much that it is a novelty, as families by same-sex couples have never even been thought still by most people. Currently in Japan homosexuality is usually thought of as another kind of sexual fetish like scat or whatever (especially when thinking of gay men, the stereotype being that gay men are always just seeking out sex with more people instead of wanting long-term partners), so the thought of same-sex couples actually starting families has not even been thought of by most in Japan.

last edited at Apr 5, 2017 3:52AM

joined Aug 11, 2014

Meh, I still think that they should go for the turkey srynge

I mean, you were close

To reply you must either login or sign up.