Forum › Yuri Otaku Family discussion

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

Idk how you reached that conclusion since Chantelune wasn't putting any blame on Tamamusi writing, rather was suggesting that dad had a lot different options rather than just stay hidden once his 1 attempt to run away failed. They didn't critic the humor but rather pointed out that dad as a character still had different ways to solve the situation. Ever more since Chantelune wasn't even the person who misunderstood father action and critic him based on that misunderstanding in the first place, but rather were responding to what ergzay said about how father did everything he could to escape.

Tamamusi chose to put the dad in a misunderstanding position rather than any of the situations Chantelune suggested for the purpose of light drama and humor, making Chantelune's suggestions a critique of what Tamamusi did, not the dad character.

It goes like this: The dad is 'stuck' in the closet through unfortunate events and lack of imagination on the character's part. This was a situation and character design choice by Tamamusi. You can criticize the dad and say you don't like his character because of his incompetence, but PaleRider didn't do that, instead misrepresenting his character's motivations. Chantelune's response was a collection of suggestions that fit the dad's bumbler character but weren't used by the writer, which ends up being a critique of Tamamusi's writing style rather than the character himself.

Img_2639
joined Nov 25, 2016

Tamamusi is still the Yuri Goddess in my heart.

6bf226425af0
joined Dec 5, 2016

Now is just wait for this one to show up here too.

Thank you for the link, comrade. God bless you.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Idk how you reached that conclusion since Chantelune wasn't putting any blame on Tamamusi writing, rather was suggesting that dad had a lot different options rather than just stay hidden once his 1 attempt to run away failed. They didn't critic the humor but rather pointed out that dad as a character still had different ways to solve the situation. Ever more since Chantelune wasn't even the person who misunderstood father action and critic him based on that misunderstanding in the first place, but rather were responding to what ergzay said about how father did everything he could to escape.

Tamamusi chose to put the dad in a misunderstanding position rather than any of the situations Chantelune suggested for the purpose of light drama and humor, making Chantelune's suggestions a critique of what Tamamusi did, not the dad character.

It goes like this: The dad is 'stuck' in the closet through unfortunate events and lack of imagination on the character's part. This was a situation and character design choice by Tamamusi. You can criticize the dad and say you don't like his character because of his incompetence, but PaleRider didn't do that, instead misrepresenting his character's motivations. Chantelune's response was a collection of suggestions that fit the dad's bumbler character but weren't used by the writer, which ends up being a critique of Tamamusi's writing style rather than the character himself.

As Nevri pointed out, I was just replying to ergzay who implied that the dad was trapped in there with no options to get out as his attempt to call for help didn't work out. Merely suggested others way he could have escaped that predicamment.

And no, I'm not criticizing the author's choice there. It's their work, they're free to drive the story the way they want and I had fun reading it, just that this part with the dad is not my favorite. That's just my personnal opinion on it, nothing more. In matter of fictions, every character is as smart and perceptive as the author make them and want them to be. Just because I say "that character is dumb because he could have done this and that instead" doesn't mean that I consider the author to be dumb for not choosing other options. Just that the dad had other options than just sitting in there and was so trapped with no way out. Author deciding to go with that one development doesn't mean there were no other options to that situation and I don't see how discussing them is insulting the author there. ^^

And just to be perfectly clear, I never said "author should have", nor implied it. It was "dad could have", knowing full well that this is how the author wanted things to go. My bad if I wasn't clear, but I hoped the various emotes around my reply were indicative enough that I was discussing this on a light tone rather than a dead serious and criticizing one.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
joined Oct 11, 2010

And no, I'm not criticizing the author's choice there. It's their work, they're free to drive the story the way they want and I had fun reading it, just that this part with the dad is not my favorite. That's just my personnal opinion on it, nothing more. In matter of fictions, every character is as smart and perceptive as the author make them and want them to be. Just because I say "that character is dumb because he could have done this and that instead" doesn't mean that I consider the author to be dumb for not choosing other options. Just that the dad had other options than just sitting in there and was so trapped with no way out. Author deciding to go with that one development doesn't mean there were no other options to that situation and I don't see how discussing them is insulting the author there. ^^

But that's a critique... You're pointing out flaws (things you think could be improved) in the narrative. This doesn't mean that Tamamusi's a bad writer overall, it just means that she's not perfect. For instance, there are times when I'm reading Cheerful Amnesia and I find the protagonist to be a bit too cheerful that breaks my immersion. That said, I'd use that series as an example when arguing that Tamamusi is currently the best yuri comedy writer we have because it showcases how good her writing is in general.

And just to be perfectly clear, I never said "author should have", nor implied it. It was "dad could have", knowing full well that this is how the author wanted things to go. My bad if I wasn't clear, but I hoped the various emotes around my reply were indicative enough that I was discussing this on a light tone rather than a dead serious and criticizing one.

Then what was your point in stating alternative scenarios? To me, it looked like you were creating other situations that may have improved the narrative, but I'm honestly confused as to why you would create new situations and immediately state that they have no relevance to the topic. In other words, what were you hoping to add to the conversation about whether the dad character is a morally good character when you wrote, "Many possibilities other than 'let's stay hidden all night in there and risk a misunderstanding if I try to sneak out in the middle of the night and end up waking them up.' ^^; "?

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Everything's a critique if you want to go that way. But a critique isn't necessary saying "this is bad !". Anyway, it's mostly talking about this piece of work, nothing less, nothing more. Author wrote it, I respect their choice, doesn't mean we can't discuss them and if we do, doesn't mean we're thinking the author's no good.

As for this one case, I'm just pointing out that the father had other options when some people seems to imply he could do nothing but stay there "trapped" after calling for help failed. I disagree with that statement and explain why with arguments and examples. Doesn't mean I want to change the outcome.

And yes, the dad staying there doesn't sit too well with me because he could have done some other things. Doesn't mean I resent the author for it, just my perception of the situation.

joined Oct 11, 2010

So, I think we're mostly on the same page, then, right? We both have specific problems with specific events of Tamamusi's, but we would both say she is, at the very least, a good writer and that we both like the overall presentation of Yuri Otaku Family, yes?

But here I'm still confused: in a conversation about the moral compass of the dad, why did you bring up alternative situations to put the character in? It could be a fun experiment to see if we could figure out a funnier scenario for the dad to be in than the one Tamamusi used, but it was irrelevant to the topic at hand, so why mention it in the first place?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Shynaku do you always take manga you scanlate so seriously? You act as if it was the perfect work and anything said against it is personal attack on you for translating it.

But here I'm still confused: in a conversation about the moral compass of the dad, why did you bring up alternative situations to put the character in?

Because Chantelune isn't arguing about moral compass of the dad. It is forum. 99% people comment here without even reading last comment. Sure PaleRider started a conversation about how they dislike dad, but that doesn't mean that is the only thing that can be said in this thread until this topic is over. And in that conversation ergzay said something that Chantelune felt like commenting on without going into whole "dad is bad" talk. Is that is really so hard to understand? It really feels like you just look out for someone to confront and vent on. And the most annoying this is that you attack Chantelune for not discussing the "original point" while you ignored PaleRider respond to you which clearly stats that they disagree with you and don't really care about your opinion. It really is as if you didn't care who it is as long as you can argue with them.

joined Oct 11, 2010

Shynaku do you always take manga you scanlate so seriously? You act as if it was the perfect work and anything said against it is personal attack on you for translating it.

No. Look at the posts on the previous things I've done and you'll see that I don't make it a habit of defending the quality of the original work. I originally spoke up because PaleRider directly misrepresented what happened in the story. "It's okay if you don't find that type of humor funny, but address it properly without relying on misrepresenting character motivations." Please don't misrepresent people.

But here I'm still confused: in a conversation about the moral compass of the dad, why did you bring up alternative situations to put the character in?

Because Chantelune isn't arguing about moral compass of the dad. It is forum. 99% people comment here without even reading last comment. Sure PaleRider started a conversation about how they dislike dad, but that doesn't mean that is the only thing that can be said in this thread until this topic is over. And in that conversation ergzay said something that Chantelune felt like commenting on without going into whole "dad is bad" talk. Is that is really so hard to understand? It really feels like you just look out for someone to confront and vent on. And the most annoying this is that you attack Chantelune for not discussing the "original point" while you ignored PaleRider respond to you which clearly stats that they disagree with you and don't really care about your opinion. It really is as if you didn't care who it is as long as you can argue with them.

I have nothing to add in response to PaleRider that ergzay hasn't already said, so there's no point in my voicing it. ergzay didn't say exactly what I would have, but unless PaleRider makes another response, there's nothing more to say. And I don't get the impression that Chantelune's the type to make a comment without reading what they're responding to. I have nothing more to say to you at this time because you're turning the topic toward me and claims of my narcissism when what I really want to do is discuss why Chantelune said what they said, a discussion best served with the person who said it.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

last edited at Feb 18, 2017 1:17PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

^ +1

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

All right folks, enough is enough. This bone didn't have much meat on it to start with, and y'all have gnawed it down to a toothpick. Past time to walk away and never speak of it again.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I guess yuri fan boys and girls can be kind of creepy.

Ooooh. I... I'll see myself out. :sadface:

e: off to buy Cheerful Amnesia. <o

last edited at Feb 18, 2017 4:07PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Tamamusi did it again. The passed out mom is my fav lol

joined Feb 1, 2013

Tamamusi is sooo weird... And that's why I love her work.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

yo this made my day lmao

Hahaha this family's soo COOOOOL!! >~<
I'd be freaking out just as them in a very good way! Love this family <3

but at the point where mother wanted to bring in tea or stuff i kinda got scared from her face... HORROR! XD

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

So cuuuuuuuuute!

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

One of the best family ever... Ahahaha!

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

Tamamusi has never disappointed so far.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Tamamusi has never disappointed so far.

And she always Impresses.

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

11/10 really funny

YuriGuardian24
Img_0031
joined Mar 7, 2017

Omg this is hilarious

Top%20tier
joined May 13, 2015

hahah they're so weird , I love the author

To reply you must either login or sign up.