Forum › Scanlator Recruiting & Project Discussion

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

I'm just gauging interest here, but would people be interested in something like the first post in this thread, only comprehensive? I'm thinking a classifieds page released once or twice a month that lists all current yuri scanlators and what positions they're looking to fill. Also, would list freelancers looking for work.

I would find that useful!

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I would find that useful!

Good to know! I'm imagining a mailing list with appropriate contacts from each group, asking which positions they need filled being sent out every two to four weeks. Still looking for an appropriate avenue of distribution for the classifieds themselves as I want it to hit as many yuri readers as possible. Should be far more effective than those credit pages at the ends of scanlations. It's also part of a much larger project, but that's not close to launching yet.

I don't think so. Your name doesn't ring a bell.

Nevermind, different person then. Ran into someone a little while ago and sent them toward Lililicious. Unless you're the person who worked on Mechanics? (I think that was the name of it).

last edited at Dec 3, 2016 11:04PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

https://almostkawaii.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/sticky/ Kawaii Scans currently looking for the following positions.

Translator
Proofreader
Editor
Cleaner
Typesetter
Quality checker

So there's a lot of opportunities open.

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

drpepperfan posted:

https://almostkawaii.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/sticky/ Kawaii Scans currently looking for the following positions.

Translator
Proofreader
Editor
Cleaner
Typesetter
Quality checker

So there's a lot of opportunities open.

Indeed. There's lots to do! And we're always looking for more people at KS.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Kouyuri is looking for another typesetter, and possibly another cleaner/redrawer. Familiarity with Photoshop required.

Kouyuri's current projects are Futakaku Kankei by Tachi and the Himitsu, Hitotsu anthology by Nakahara Tsubaki, with Hana and Hina after school, vol.3 by Morinaga Milk on the horizon.

Anyone who's interested, contact us at , and give us some examples of your previous work.

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Yuri☆Kome could use a JP translation helper. I can do a little translation myself and have 2 helpers now.I can do the easy parts (beginning Japanese student) and my sensei helps with some of the complicated bits (not the yuri parts) and my other helper is now SUPER busy. Chapter 3 needs about 10 pages done to get the release posted. The typesetting and a couple of redraws and it's ready to go. This would be a part time job if you are willing to look over a few pages at a time.
I should have added that you would have access to the entire book in Japanese. I would just ask for help on certain pages and "what do you think?" questions.

last edited at Dec 18, 2016 12:57PM

joined Aug 30, 2016

Humm... not sure where to post this, but can you upload mangas on here that I work on? This is where I work xD https://squigglesjptl.wordpress.com/

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Question about Japanes name interpretation. I am toying with another manga to scanlate after YK. I know jumping the gun when YK won't be done for about 18 months at this rate. The manga is Asahinagu and was abandoned years ago after 3 chapters. Meanwhile, the manga is currently at volume 5 or more. Back to the question, one characters given name in the English translation is given as Akiko. When I look up the kanji it is most likely Junko (淳子). How do others handle this type of problem?

joined Jan 11, 2015

Question about Japanes name interpretation. I am toying with another manga to scanlate after YK. I know jumping the gun when YK won't be done for about 18 months at this rate. The manga is Asahinagu and was abandoned years ago after 3 chapters. Meanwhile, the manga is currently at volume 5 or more. Back to the question, one characters given name in the English translation is given as Akiko. When I look up the kanji it is most likely Junko (淳子). How do others handle this type of problem?

Since that name can be read as Junko, Akiko, Atsuko, or Kiyoko, all of which are more or less common names, I'd suggest looking through earlier volumes for furigana.

last edited at Dec 28, 2016 10:35PM

Qndkfwtexmw51%20-%20kopie
joined May 20, 2014

The Zärtlichkeit du Yuri is looking for a second translator (doesn't need to be Native speaker) for our many projects. We have a lot of untouched raws for: Akuma no Riddle, Love Live, Idolmaster, Kantai Collection, Touhou and original works (like Momono Moto's) and would like to tackle these projects. We also have reliable raw providers so you can request some (even rare) mangas/doujinshis from other series as well.
Currently we have one translator, two editors and two proofreaders, but we'd be glad about any reinforcement in any position. Experience is needed for the editor position since I don't have the time to teach from scratch, though for translator you should be motivated and knowledged about Japanese/English of course. As for proofreader, you should be Native speaker.

About our group: we're a fairly open and friendly group, everyone just works on the projects they're interested in and we're always looking for new challenges/yuri books to work on. Despite the lack of a fixed deadline, our working speed is rather fast I'd say. Though there is no pressure at all, everyone is working when they have time and feel like it! We love yuri and wish to spread it around the world!

Please contact me under https://mai88eternalscarlet.wordpress.com/contact/ if you're interested. Skype and/or discord is used for group chat.

joined Mar 11, 2016

I can help in the cleaning section. I don't have a tablet so cant redraw but can use stamp tool.

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

I can help in the cleaning section. I don't have a tablet so cant redraw but can use stamp tool.

Would you be interested in working for Lililicious?

Lazy_Lily_SHiN Uploader
Aoi-face-template-copy
Lazy Lily
joined Feb 28, 2015

URGENT: Looking for an editor for Sakura Trick manga.

REQUIREMENTS:

• A fan/follower of Sakura Trick
  • Good at English
  • Has experience working in a scanlation environment
  • There's a possibility you'll be assigned to proofread Aikatsu! doujinshi (lewd and non-lewd)

If you're interested, contact via email at shin.gx.fansubs@gmail.com or /msg SHiN at Rizon.

Dnasty
joined May 14, 2013

Looking for a typesetter/editor for Heart of the Girl (Oku Tamamusi) (You can find more information here)

• A fan of yuri/tamamusi
  • Knowledgeable in English
  • Has experience typesetting/editing/redrawing. If no experience, at least willing to learn, and is a hardworker.
  • Has plenty of patience.

More info: Heart of the Girl is only 2 Volumes long, but it's a 4-koma so it would take a lot of patience to typeset it. We are set to release 2-3 Chapters a month (until we finish it) once we've found a typesetter.

If you're interested, please send me an email at satsunyan@seiyuuri.com or you can also DM/Tweet us @seiyuuri. Our tumblr is dead, please don't try there wworz

joined Mar 11, 2016

Would you be interested in working for Lililicious?

I'll be glad to help. ^_^

last edited at Jan 4, 2017 8:48AM

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

I'll be glad to help. ^_^

Great, thanks! I've emailed you, so you can edit your post to remove your address if you don't want it out there.

joined Jan 5, 2017

Hello there, i wonder if anyone interested at "Amaenaideyo" manga.
Seeking help only for translating script from vol 2 to vol 7, since out there only vol 1.
I got the raw scan. Thank you.

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Since that name can be read as Junko, Akiko, Atsuko, or Kiyoko, all of which are more or less common names, I'd suggest looking through earlier volumes for furigana.

Unfortunately, this manga seldom uses furigana for anything but the introduction of the major characters. None of the 3rd year members of the naginata team. I got in touch with the Russian typesetter and it turns out that the first scanlation group got the name of the high school wrong, too. The group contacted the mangaka and asked her themselves. I had doubted that the players name was Akiko as the next competitors name uses the most common kanji for Akiko. Also, the Russians used Junko for the first and Akiko for the second.

joined Jan 11, 2015

Unfortunately, this manga seldom uses furigana for anything but the introduction of the major characters. None of the 3rd year members of the naginata team. I got in touch with the Russian typesetter and it turns out that the first scanlation group got the name of the high school wrong, too. The group contacted the mangaka and asked her themselves. I had doubted that the players name was Akiko as the next competitors name uses the most common kanji for Akiko. Also, the Russians used Junko for the first and Akiko for the second.

Junko is the most common reading, as you mentioned, so when lacking furigana, that is probably your best choice. :/

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

I was downloading a font today that was free for noncommercial use only. If someone uses one of those fonts, say copying one of the works on this nonprofit website, and then mangafox copies that work to their for profit website is that a violation of the licence?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

1992marigold posted:

I was downloading a font today that was free for noncommercial use only. If someone uses one of those fonts, say copying one of the works on this nonprofit website, and then mangafox copies that work to their for profit website is that a violation of the licence?

As far as I'm aware any liability would be on Mangafox's part since they don't get permission before taking things.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

So I'm still kind of new at this, having only been seriously reading manga and doujins since this past July. And there's still a lot about the process of translating them to English that is opaque to me. In an effort to clear away the cobwebs of my ignorance, I have a few questions, and this looked like the best place to ask.

-Do the scanlators work from the actual printed books when they come out? Or do they work from a digital copy? Or do they use some other source? I imagine it varies, but I see the term "raws" all over. Where do the raws come from?

-How long does it take to scanlate a comic? Obviously the page count has something to do with it, and I imagine that some scanlator teams are faster than others. But as a pages translated per day, sort of thing, what is "normal"? If the scanlators begin work on a new project, are we looking at a couple of days before it's ready? Couple of weeks? Couple of months?

-How much of a pain in the ass is it to translate the SFX and onomatopoeia? Seems like the speech bubbles would be reasonably straightforward, if a little constrained on space. But I imagine you'd need full-blown artist skills to erase the Japanese SFX and replace them with English SFX. Every time I see a manga with English SFX, I'm always impressed.

That's all I can think of for now. Might have more questions later.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

-Do the scanlators work from the actual printed books when they come out? Or do they work from a digital copy? Or do they use some other source? I imagine it varies, but I see the term "raws" all over. Where do the raws come from?

Well, raws is just the original/untranslated work (in its original language). You're asking where the raws come from, but well...? You can either buy a digital copy of it, or get a physical copy of it and scan it. Idk if 'destroying' the book is necessary, but some people do. I'm not familiar with how the scanning is/can be done.
Oh, and there are some websites that host raws (you can't find raws for any series ofc), so if what you're looking for is already uploaded, you won't have to buy/scan it yourself

-How long does it take to scanlate a comic? Obviously the page count has something to do with it, and I imagine that some scanlator teams are faster than others. But as a pages translated per day, sort of thing, what is "normal"? If the scanlators begin work on a new project, are we looking at a couple of days before it's ready? Couple of weeks? Couple of months?

Depends of how many people there are, how much free time the people in the team have, and perhaps even the level of quality they're aiming for? (quality of the translation, the wording, the editing) Some people/groups are pretty efficient, I've seen chapters of 15-25 pages released within a week the chapter was first published. But if you were to ask about what the usual pace for a team is, ouf, it just varies. Some ppl/groups take a couple of weeks, some take around a month, some take a couple of months? It really depends on their own free time and motivation, I'd say.
Some probably aim for a certain release schedule too, some just go with whenever they have time.
I don't know how long translating takes. Do you know a language other than english? Maybe you can like, try it out and picture it for yourself. Unless the work you're working on has a shitload of text, or have things that are hard to reformulate for you, the most annoying part really must be the redrawing, unless the group decides to just place the eng sfx next to the jp ones

-How much of a pain in the ass is it to translate the SFX and onomatopoeia?

If you don't know how to word it (plus I've heard that the is a lot more japanese onomatopoeia than english ones), it could be annoying, but it's especially annoying if you're a group who choose to clean the sfx, because it means someone has to redraw the details/lines that have been erased =_= After you put the english sfx tho, you can get away with not having to redraw what the letters cover >_> Photoshop skills pls

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 1:51AM

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Digital copies are way easier to work with. Scanned pages require 1. Rotating the image. 2. Cropping. 3. Adjusting levels to remove paper grain and make the image look as close to the original page as possible. 4. Additional removal of paper grain (manual cleanup process with the PS dodge tool).
However, you can scan pages at as high of a resolution as you want, so paper copies typically warrant higher res scans, but are at risk of not looking as nice as digital copies.

I don't do translations, but our translator seems to sit down and translate an entire chapter (20-30 pages) in 4-6 hours. Feel free to correct me there, Roppon :) As I understand it, the hardest part is trying to fit Japanese phrasing into English. Apparently some phrases just don't translate well at all, and requires quite a bit of thought to make the text "make sense".

The longest part of scanlating is probably either cleaning/redrawing or typesetting, if you try to pick matching fonts and do decent redraws. We do our work in phases, where we clean and redraw, then translate, then typeset, and then QC. We don't go page by page either, we clean everything, then translate everything, etc...

I'd say a chapter for us takes about a month if we're not rushing... though, that assumes that we have multiple chapters we're working on, so we're not just working on one thing.

I agree with Faust, you should try it for yourself and see what the process is like! I think it's pretty fun...

-How much of a pain in the ass is it to translate the SFX and onomatopoeia? Seems like the speech bubbles would be reasonably straightforward, if a little constrained on space. But I imagine you'd need full-blown artist skills to erase the Japanese SFX and replace them with English SFX. Every time I see a manga with English SFX, I'm always impressed.

Apparently it's pretty damn hard, though it seems like the translator can usually give you an idea of what sound is trying to be conveyed without actually giving you an onomatopoeia (ex: tears, standing up, turning around). Yeah, finding space for speech bubbles can be tricky, especially when the Japanese text is much shorter than the English text. You have to be careful too to not use really small fonts :P

I don't have shit for drawing skills, but I think I do alright on redraws by using the tools PS has. Here's a video I recorded of me cleaning/redrawing Futakaku Kankei, where you can see how I do some redraws:
https://youtu.be/Yrn0Qndtqmc

Here's one I did on typesetting too:
https://youtu.be/AyWMyG1FHYw

It'd be cool if other scanlating groups could comment here about how they do their work, as I'm quite curious as well.

joined Jan 11, 2015

To go with Malibu's words about raws, here are some examples of physical scans before being cleaned. Without taking the book apart (finished product). Generally results in blur and/or cut off pages because of the crease in the middle. Pages taken out of the actual book (Finished product). Noticeably higher quality, but still requires quite a bit of work.

As for translation, 5-6 hours is probably my average for a 25 page chapter. Some take less or more, depending on the amount of text, and eventual hiccups concerning the actual translation. As I'm sure you know, Japanese and English are very different, both in structure and in ways of expressing certain things. A translator often has to decide between proper English, or trying to keep as many of the original connotations as possible. Sometimes, the word/expression doesn't have an English equivalent, and sometimes something that sounds fine in Japanese sounds extremely dorky English. This is especially true with SFX/onomatopoeia, as many things that don't make a sound have SFX in manga, e.g. どや (doya), meaning "looking pleased with oneself", which doesn't make for a very good SFX in English.

As for redrawing/cleaning, it is indeed a very time consuming process. Here is an example of the original image, the fully cleaned version, and the final result.

Hope our posts help. =]

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 7:15PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.