Forum › Hibike! Euphonium *Spoilers* Discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Perhaps I stuttered. Take a day off, learn to read.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Have only started watching Ep 1, and yes The KumiRei was as straight as rainbow. They only need to have a time skip, have the two moved in and sleep in the same bed, and adopt a daughter together, to top FatexNanoha as the gayest unofficial couple of all time.

And someone censor all of those lewd handholding. Think of the children!!

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I'm surprised no one commented about ep 4 yet, it was fucking amazing, super feelsy and moving
I had already told myself that I didn't hate Yuko as much anymore, that I respected the way she defends her beliefs, as obnoxious as she can be about it. Her words to Mizore was so nice, this episode.
Mizore and Nozomi are totally shippable too, it was so great ❤ (◡‿◡✿)
I had initially thought that perhaps, Mizore's reason for staying in the band was related to the promise she made was Nozomi, in the flashbacks, but it was actually simpler, more direct than that; she plays for Nozomi.
Is it me or, is that sort of romantic? Some real dedication of some kind, there
Natsuki and Yuko's tsundere bickering was nice too

joined May 21, 2015

Anybody watched ep5? It was truly amazing. I absolutely loved it. Their performance got me all excited and anxious at the same time, I kept having the feeling that someone's gonna mess up anytime soon XD But im glad they pulled it off, they were spectacular. I also loved that the secondary characters got a little bit of screentime, special mention to cymbals girl, who was really slaying it haha XD And finally, KumiRei ship continued to sail along with NozomixMizore ship. I loved how Kumiko's thought went back to season1 ep8 top of the mountain scene during Reina's solo :D Cant get enough of their interactions tbh. Oh well, ill just keep on boarding the ship until the end hahaXD

joined Sep 21, 2014

Anybody watched ep5? It was truly amazing. I absolutely loved it. Their performance got me all excited and anxious at the same time, I kept having the feeling that someone's gonna mess up anytime soon XD But im glad they pulled it off, they were spectacular.

YES

I also loved that the secondary characters got a little bit of screentime, special mention to cymbals girl, who was really slaying it haha XD

I took like so many screenshots, her included lmfao

And finally, KumiRei ship continued to sail along with NozomixMizore ship. I loved how Kumiko's thought went back to season1 ep8 top of the mountain scene during Reina's solo :D Cant get enough of their interactions tbh. Oh well, ill just keep on boarding the ship until the end hahaXD

It was wonderful ;u; Kumiko's eyes friggin lit up, flashback to fireworks and Reina's snow white dress ❤
Mizore legit telling Nozomi she was playing for her tho, she's so honest, and pretty romantic tbh. I dunno about you guys but if a girl told me that she was playing her solo for me, I'd probably be really embarrassed and moved
Reina and Kumiko witnessing them tho lmao, they were kinda far, how did they even hear Mizore's quiet voice? Anime logic.
Anyways, it was super interesting that Reina played for anyone at all, if not herself. It was sweet ❤ Kumiko's flashbacks with Reina's solo in the back was super nice
Tbh I didn't even realise the competition was so soon, I was pretty nervous, but I felt that they were gonna be just fine; The title was 'Miracle Harmony' or something, plus it was just ep 5, not even halfway throughout the season, they aren't gonna spend the next 7-8 episode emo-ing about a loss, that's for sure

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

There were some nice moments in this ep, it was at least pleasant seeing all the characters doing their their thing for the school festival, not sure where they're going with the older sister drama, or the Taki drama. I have to say that I found Kumiko holding onto Shuichi's shirt when the lights went out to be irritating and disrespectful to the [Kumiko's] character, and I would even if I wasn't rooting against them getting together.

last edited at Nov 10, 2016 1:47AM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Props to Reina for majorly reverse wingman-ing Kumiko, scared the shit out of him too (I liked that only he fell)
At first I was like "aw yiss this gonna be good" as she ventured into that class alone, but then I immediately realised "oh no, she's alone, Reina ISN'T there, Shuichi's gonna magically pop up isn't he"
I probs would dislike Shuichi less if he didn't only get scenes/matter when it concerned his feelings about Kumiko, man, can't he get a lines without it involving Kumiko?
Since he didn't get to finish his sentence, I'm pretty sure it'll come back again, and Reina won't be there to cut the bitch off a third time. Ugh, I'm dreading it so much
On one hand, I'm not against how little he matters, but on the other, if this is the guy Kumiko's gonna be endgame with, it would have been way more realistic if he EXISTED more than this since the very beginning (all he did in the first half of season 1 was "hey wanna know about gossip") and Kumiko didn't legit receive and give out confessions of love and vow absolute loyalty to another girl
Also damn, Kumiko's got serious skills when it comes to finding out about gossip
She goes out for a walk during a fuckiNG TYPHOON to escape drama and just encounters the one other person out during a goddamn typhoon for more drama
"O-Oh, I like the rain" smh

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I probs would dislike Shuichi less if he didn't only get scenes/matter when it concerned his feelings about Kumiko, man, can't he get a lines without it involving Kumiko?

Kind of the reverse Bechdel-Wallace test, isn't it? For a long time, women's roles in film were pretty much how Shuichi is described here, only showing up to talk about the love interest, and hiding in the background somewhere the rest of the time.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Kind of the reverse Bechdel-Wallace test, isn't it? For a long time, women's roles in film were pretty much how Shuichi is described here, only showing up to talk about the love interest, and hiding in the background somewhere the rest of the time.

Exactly.
Except that it's motivated by salt from queerbaiting, as if I've come to specifically hold it against this character. He brings nothing to the plot really, all he legit did in season 2 is get 3 short speaking scenes where he blushes over Kumiko. His character is legit the 'male love interest', except that he matters so little that their relationship is just fucking uninteresting
If he's gonna matter, I really rather he did, rather than having these half-assed yet super-significant-in-a-later-time scenes

joined Oct 5, 2016

I did enjoy Shuuichi in season 1, because he largely functioned as a prop to demonstrate how uninterested in boys Kumiko was, in contrast to how totally into Reina she was.

The first episode of this season was so damn gay I was sure they were actually going full bore with it, but since then I've been getting increasingly frustrated with KyoAni.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

On episode 9: Asuka x Kaori is sailing. :')

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

It did seem that way! And it had a bit of Kumiko x Reina too!

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

KumiRei was pretty gay...and then there is Taki again. Since they erased almost all Shuiichi parts, they should just remove the Reina-Taki ones too. They could keep Taki's back story, but damn this yuri -het exchange from one minute to another is just bad. They are trying too hard to prove this is just a phase.

joined Oct 5, 2016

KumiRei was pretty gay...and then there is Taki again. Since they erased almost all Shuiichi parts, they should just remove the Reina-Taki ones too. They could keep Taki's back story, but damn this yuri -het exchange from one minute to another is just bad. They are trying too hard to prove this is just a phase.

It is seriously annoying me. Season 1 felt so fantastically genuine between Kumiko and Reina, now they've totally retreated from that into just the occasional vague yuri cliche.

It's especially aggravating when you then go check out Yuri on Ice which is just unapologetically gay. It's actually a lot like S1 of Hibike, a story about a person's personal growth, with a side helping of great gay romance. The difference being that in the end KyoAni only cares about marketing their cute girls, while Yamamoto Saya is interested in actually making meaningful art.

Shoot, at this point I have more hope for Flip Flappers than I do for Hibike Euphonium.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Wouldn't the Taki romance be considered a phase too? I mean, he's older than her and he's a grieving widow

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

At least we have Izetta and Flip Flappers this season (although I don't watch the latter).

Wouldn't the Taki romance be considered a phase too? I mean, he's older than her and he's a grieving widow

It's a type of phase too, in the sense that he is someone Reina admires as a musician and she could be infatuted with him because she wants to be as good as him. Also the fact that she has no chance for him.
But Reina's reactions to Taki are different and more blatantly romantic than with Kumiko. This, plus he is a man, so it is viewed as more serious.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

It's a type of phase too, in the sense that he is someone Reina admires as a musician and she could be infatuted with him because she wants to be as good as him. Also the fact that she has no chance for him.
But Reina's reactions to Taki are different and more blatantly romantic than with Kumiko. This, plus he is a man, so it is viewed as more serious.

Yeah, you're right. Even though its an unrequited love from Reina and it would lead to nothing, its still treated like something more serious than just an extremely close friendship.

It really is a shame that this is going to end in heartbreak for all of the yuri fans. I wish KyoAni would just deviate from the source material and gave us the ending that makes the most sense in this series, which is ReinaxTaki, err, i mean ReinaxKumiko.

Export202302260649425010
joined Jul 6, 2016

Guys, have you seen this?

It’s a Confession of Love, After All - H!E Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjqReygAnU&list=PLikcEVmQskJDB7KaR_2EM8G7zr6DBajTo

Damn, best day of my whole life

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

^^
I'm pretty sure every yuri fan wants the confession of love between them. Listening to that YouTube video make me cry inside of happiness. But watching episode 9 is reality as Kyotoani make Reina gay 1 second with holding Kumiko hands and leaning close to kumiko face. Then she becomes straight the next second with taki-sensei. I love kumiko's reaction to seeing Reina act like a bitch in front of taki-sensei.

Kumiko's looks at Reina like girl you were gay with me 2 seconds ago and now you want taki-sensie's Dick. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

last edited at Dec 3, 2016 6:32AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Guys, have you seen this?

It’s a Confession of Love, After All - H!E Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjqReygAnU&list=PLikcEVmQskJDB7KaR_2EM8G7zr6DBajTo

Damn, best day of my whole life

Omg the last one in School...In the beggining it sounds like Reina is pregnant with Kumiko's baby xD
KyoAni is evil.

Export202302260649425010
joined Jul 6, 2016

I wonder whether it is official conversation written for cd or just some kind of interview with roleplay session reading fans mail or something. Cause the last one, when they break the character, there's a male sound as if it's the announcer of radio or something like that.

joined Oct 5, 2016

IIRC they have a radio show where they'll do listener-submitted scenes

I mean, it still kinda means something that they're choosing to do those sketches, and that the Japanese fanbase is obviously not buying the "oh they're just close friends" handwave either. But it's not canon in any way.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Kumiko's looks at Reina like girl you were gay with me 2 seconds ago and now you want taki-sensie's Dick. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

I know what you mean but
Bisexuality?
When you see a someone really into a girl and then a guy, this "shit" is called "they're PROBABLY bisexual"?
Not that we can legit say that Reina treats Kumiko like a love interest TTvTT gdi kyoani

Really? What scene/bit are you talking about?
Plus, didn't Asuka make... a really scary face? Which from what I understood, was Asuka being tilted

last edited at Dec 3, 2016 3:30PM

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

Really? What scene/bit are you talking about?
Plus, didn't Asuka make... a really scary face? Which from what I understood, was Asuka being tilted

Oh yeah, that was really intriguing scene. At first I didn't quite understand it myself but after seeing some comments on reddit there was two theories that explained it better imo, the first one I also considered it after watching the episode, it's that the scene kind of reflects their relationship, how Kaori (and everyone else) puts Asuka in a pedestal, how Kaori worships Asuka and basically neglects to see the "real" Asuka. Which explains why Asuka gets comfortable with Kumiko. See how Reina says earlier in the episode that Kumiko sees through people, Kumiko can also see through Asuka. And the second one: "This shot was more to do with the reveal that she dislikes her mother later. It's extreme to make you question what exactly is bothering her. When it is revealed that it is the hovering of her mom it makes complete sense that she is disgusted by that kind of behaviour."
I'll read the one you linked.
But answering your first question, I was particularly talking about Asuka mentioning Kaori quite a few times, the glasses Kaori got her, the part about biting Kaori because her blood must be tasty etc. As an Asuka x Kaori enthusiast I'm happy with the crumbs.

last edited at Dec 3, 2016 4:09PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

the part about biting Kaori because her blood must be tasty

Aaahhh yes, that part. I had forgotten aha

To reply you must either login or sign up.