Forum › Anime season

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Actual lesbians? What is this? Is this true? I NEED TO KNOW.

Yeah, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku has a canon lesbian couple. Not really a series where you want to get attached to the characters, though

So, is Flip Flappers worth watching for the yuri? I know its aesthetically good from the few images i've saw, but i don't want my heart to be broken by the lack of yuri.

Not confirmed yuri, but it's currently at a point where it doesn't really make sense if you assume the characters are straight

Sounds like the lesbian couple will die, so I don't think i'll pick it back up.

last edited at Dec 2, 2016 11:18AM

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Sincerely doubt the main couple will die in FlipFlappers. Makes actually zero sense with the plot their doing(coming of age story).

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

catching up, and collecting gifs.
honestly, its the only show worth watching this season.

Poco's Udon World ?

It's just one of "those" that are trying to be that "gem of the season". Reminds me a lot of the last season's one, the dad and his daughter one, was fairly mediocre.

Being a big fan of "Rising child SoL" and having watched plenty of them, I can tell that Poco's Udon World has nothing to be ashamed of in comparison to Usagi Drop or Barakamon. It's fluffy, overall well made and soothing, which are enough to make the anime good.

I haven't started watching them yet, but I believe Drifters and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikkaku are enjoyable too.

Watched ep 1, dropped both.
Drifters' art and setting do not appeal to me, dropped instantly.

I try not to start an unfinished anime, because I usually watch them in one go. Since MSIK seems to have real lesbians and similarities with PMMM, I'm pretty hyped.
From what I recall, Drifter's art is pretty neat; to each their own I guess.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Sincerely doubt the main couple will die in FlipFlappers. Makes actually zero sense with the plot their doing(coming of age story).

I'm sure they meant Ikusei, not FliFla.

I'll agree that this season is great, although I started a lot of shows and dropped almost everything that doesn't focus on female characters.
Can't do anything about that. I'm still trying to keep Yuri on Ice, though.

joined Feb 15, 2013

So Flip Flappers. I turned on Ep 8, but it switched into TTGL instead...

Also... that moment when your partner accidentally called out her ex name when she's with you.. (awkward...)

That screen after 1 minute mark... If that was not maiden in love, then i don't know what is... And anyone realise how, ep 7 and 8 was set up to be like a cliche angst yuri manga? The timid girl struggle to accept her feeling, but the moment she finally came to term with it, coming the rival ex

last edited at Dec 2, 2016 7:50PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Man, **Flip Flappers*, I'm scared lol, shit's pretty real
I like how Yayaka, tho we do know that she'd probs join the mcs' side at once point, didn't actually behave/it didn't all happen like I thought it would. She actually still struggled about it, or more like, she very consciously and firmly decides to stay with her own organisation, but can't exactly bring herself to seriously hurt Cocona. If she could, she'd prefer not to, even if she doesn't acknowledge it herself. I thought it was really interesting that the way it happened, wasn't actually her betraying her own group, but more that she wavered, and the twins immediately cast her out, attacked with the intention to take her out with Cocona. Pretty harsh, that scene wasn't as "relaxed" and casual as other stuff, I really thought she'd die for a sec.
Tho we find out that her entire friendship with Cocona was planned from the start, that the organisation roots itself deeper in Yayaka's life, entire existence, deeper than we thought, her friendship with Cocona is pretty real, she actually is jealous and resents Papika for coming into her life. Despite her whole fight with Papika, about Cocona and the amorphous' worth and Papika insisting that Cocona is more important, and Yayaka taking the opposite side, when she saw the twins coming at the time, when she let go of the fragment and shielded Cocona with her own body, whoa. That scene really got to me. Man I hope she's alright.
Papika's memories/association of Cocona with her past partner tho, it's really awkward, makes things tense with Cocona. Cocona's sense of identity is pretty weak as it is, (she's empty apparently, from what the antagonist in Ep 3 said), to confuse Cocona with another girl is pretty bad, hits the nail right on the head. It also worries me, to think that maybe, Papika's attachment to Cocona from the get-go stems from her fondness of a previous partner and isn't entirely "real'. In the last 3 eps, at the end, whenever amorphous are used/.react in some way, it seems like the memory of Mimi comes back, stronger and stronger. It's also worrisome that Papika herself doesn't remember/know what happened to the girl.
It was a good episode, tho I feel like a large part of the conflict, the dialogues and their symbolism of the world likely went over my head

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

So...Wixoss episode 9 got pretty dark and they connected the story with the previous season. If anyone was expecting that...

It was also kinda fun.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Saw MGirl Raising, I'm so mad gdi I can't believe Hardgore Alice got wiped out like that, that Snow White took it out on her the last time they talked :'((( At least they got to talk before she died, Koyuki being the only one she looked up to. Totally called her identity. But gdi, could it have been possible for Koyuki to give her the phone and let her transform? Would that have saved her? Gdi Swim Swim, why so fucking savage.
Oh, and Cranberry seeing through Minael's ruse and literally tearing her heart out was savage af, it was kind of... amazing... Man, I'm scared about it but I can totally see Tama dying next ep. Swim Swim using her as bait for Cranberry. Also seems like this whole game was just supposed to be a magical girl exam/selection process, that Cranberry made into a bloody mess cus personal motivations. That it was in fact NOT supposed to be this way, but she's in charge and getting away with it.

Man, watching each episode and having to decide who you'd rather see live, and then changing that list the next week cus people can't stop fucking dying/killing. As long as Ripple lives AT LEAST, PLEASE. I almost don't even care about Koyuki at this point, there's just nothing happening to her, she was always saved, or just never in that much danger. I'm not even worried about her anymore, she'll probably be just fine, AS EVERYONE ELSE YOU WANT TO SEE LIVE, DIE. GDI

I'm scared for Izetta too. Gdi, everything I'm watching this season has "plot", and now we're at the eps where shit gets real and tense and I'm scared for everything, basically. Except Keijo, Keijo is still fucking hilarious, even if it has "plot". Watching Keijo after stressful events from other anime really helps balance my mood.
My absolute favourite thing in the last ep, is when other characters actually reacted to the weird shit someone else said/did, that they're actually aware that it was fucking weird and commented on it, not letting it pass by like it was just usual, typical stuff

It's so weird that Naruse/whatsherface was really freaked out by Mio in the last episode, but it turns out that she says the grossest shit too? ಠ__ಠ

last edited at Dec 3, 2016 7:32PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH SHURI PING PONG !!!! (Aka Takyu Musume) was greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!
They gave us an episode so gooooood I thought it was the last, all the emotions, the shots, poses and.... YUUURI !! omg there's so much hardcore subtext all around, and I almost cried with the end of the match. geez... I don't care if flipflap or izetta doesn't deliver a good ending, takyu this week gave me enough x)! and is not even the last chapter!

Gundam was very good too... after the drama of political conflict, economic associations and the war that was never meant to be, they give us a plot twist that will change everything!! WITH GUNDAMS! like how is supposed to be X)!

joined Sep 21, 2014

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH SHURI PING PONG !!!! (Aka Takyu Musume) was greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!

Just saw it myself, it was indeed fucking good and gay af
Loved it again this week. While most other anime are stressing me out, Takkyuu Musume is just awesome, fun, exciting and moving. And no one dies TTvTT

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It was fun and mad gay, but it was also the climax, and now I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the rest of it

Gundam was very good too... after the drama of political conflict, economic associations and the war that was never meant to be, they give us a plot twist that will change everything!! WITH GUNDAMS! like how is supposed to be X)!

I think people are over-estimating how big a deal this is. The politics and economics are still set up to be as important as they ever were, and the preview isn't exactly one of carnage. It's just a new complication. As well as making the setting make a lot more sense

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I haven't watched Iron Blooded Orphans in like 6 weeks. The second season hasn't really reinvigorated any of my interest after that awful ending of the first season. (Not killing certain characters was very dumb, because of how it was shown). Atra and Kudelia aren't enough to carry the show for me (though Atra is my favorite character in the show).

I am Universal Century trash though so that may be why. Thunderbolt 2 will be fun. I do wish they would do Hathaway's Flash already.

I do want to see Char and McGillis interact. I think that would be a good fun thing to do in a Super Robot Wars game. Hell, since they seem to always throw in Unicorn too, then adding Full Frontal to the mix will be the usual fun. And add Haman there for more spice. (Garma and GaliGali interacting would be fun too, but they never do OYW anymore in SRW).

last edited at Dec 6, 2016 12:41AM

joined Mar 11, 2016

Ping Pong: It was a total let down that Kururi/Zakuro lost; I don't buy it, especially Zakuro's loss when Agari only strengthen her forehand in her training but magically got good in her backhand and won? No.

Other than these two games, these last two episodes are a total win. The latest (ep 10) being the best with its yuri/subtext awesomeness; even better than FliFla I'd say.

joined Sep 21, 2014

but magically got good in her backhand and won? No.

When Agari faced Koyori again (ep3), they said that she's always been great at her backhand, it's what she's always trained because from experience, she scored more points with the backhand than her forehand, even if she preferred to play with the latter. After her match with Koyori, she was reminded of how much she loved playing with her forehand, and then started practicing it again (with Munemune). We see the results of that when she faced Kiruka and won with it.
So when she faced Zakuro, it's just that she brought out her backhand again, and started smashing with both, rather than just one or the other. She didn't magically get better, she's had that smash it since the beginning of the series.

last edited at Dec 7, 2016 3:47PM

joined Mar 11, 2016

She didn't magically get better, she's had that smash since the beginning of the series.

I know. But I don't think that alone was enough to beat Zakuro - a national level player. Agari only made it to regional level with her backhand; therefore strengthened her forehand for nationals but Zakuro was able to counter it.
So what I am saying is that Agari cannot possibly beat Zakuro with her backhand. I also don't think switching between backhand and forehand was enough to put Zakuro off of her game. More, Agari ignored her backhand technique for a good while and only focused on her forehand; so her backhand should not be as great as it used to be. But she magically won (from someone who has made it to the nationals) using her (not-perfect) backhand? No.
If not for the yuri I might not have bothered with this anime. :\

I dropped Saki for the same reason. I already knew the matches outcome so why bother? Everyone know Saki cannot lose, Nodoka cannot lose, their school cannot dropout of the game because the plot is centered around them. Same goes for Teru and her team/school. It takes away the enjoyment when you already know who's gonna win/qualify.

In Hibiki too; if they had lost, the anime would have ended cause there would have been no story/plot to continue. You can't say they should have won/qualify based on their performance. You have to listen to others too to know who was better.

last edited at Dec 8, 2016 9:41AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

The point of all these shows aren't really the competition, but the characters drama. And seriously, that apply for everything. Every action series you can predict who will die or defeat the other from miles away. There's very few series really unpredictable out there.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Wtv posted:

The point of all these shows aren't really the competition, but the characters drama. And seriously, that apply for everything. Every action series you can predict who will die or defeat the other from miles away. There's very few series really unpredictable out there.

I guess you can't watch sport related anime... There are very few exceptions, maybe Baby Steps or Major.

I'm curious about Akari's weak point... If she doesn't have any, then that would be a problem, we know she is really good already maybe national level too, but she is just weird... Maybe there's a dark past ?

joined Jan 21, 2015

For tournament-style sports anime, since the result is so predictable the fun isn't about who will win but how they will get there, IMO. For example, when watching/reading Saki we already know that Kiyosumi has to reach the national tournament's finals, and we know that Saki will always win her games. The fun part is watching how her teammates and their opponents will fare. And all the yuri flashbacks, can't forget about those.

But I agree that Koyori shouldn't have won. Kururi was hyped as this fearsome opponent and still got beaten the first time we saw her play, it was kind of anticlimatic. I still love the show, but I'm sad that it will be little more than advertisement for the manga. 12-13 eps isn't enough for a sports anime.

I also just watched the new Flip Flappers and I have so many questions.

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

I feel that Flip Flappers won't make complete sense until after it's over. I want this week over already so I can watch the next episode!

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Hibike Euphonium episode 10 was really good episode. It had great character development. When Kumiko's sister tells Kumiko not to live life with regrets my gay heat thought she was mentioning the fact that Kumiko needs to go after Reina and not conform to her parents/societies ideals. I know she was not mentioning that but my imagination, has made hibike into a coming out of the closet story LOL.

At The end of the episode the look Reina gave Kumiko was intense, Kumiko stop smiling at Asuka-senpai and pay attention to your future wifey. It’s obvious they are going to make a big deal out of Kumiko knowing about Taki-sensei's wife and her not telling Reina. Which is not a really a big deal as Kumiko couldn’t tell anyone and it was not her secret to tell. She should tell Reina that but Reina is going to have a hissy fit.

last edited at Dec 8, 2016 1:29PM

joined Mar 11, 2016

@Wtv
I disagree. In some action series you can predict who will die and that too at/near the end; not all. example: you/we don't know who is gonna survive in Ikusei aside from the mc. Action anime retain their sense of mystery and keep you hooked; unlike sports anime where you know the course of events? and the end game.

Character's drama work for those who have taken a liking to them imo. I happened to like the girls in the losing schools and once their arc finished I stopped watching.

@TB
If it is a hard earned victory I don't complain (like in Hibiki). what pisses me off in sports anime is when they won effortlessly just because of their mc status.
I did watch yuri oriented ep of my fav saki characters/pairs. :> Except one - Teru x Sumire; if you know their episode let me know.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I feel that Flip Flappers won't make complete sense until after it's over. I want this week over already so I can watch the next episode!

I'm both really excited and apprehensive for the last two episodes and the explanations for... well, everything. I really hope they don't drop the ball right at the end.

I did watch yuri oriented ep of my fav saki characters/pairs. :> Except one - Teru x Sumire; if you know their episode let me know.

Teru and Sumire haven't had their big flashback yet, but I think we're about to see it in the manga.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Keijo was fantasstic once again. Aoba is like a Stand user (from JoJo) with her Gates of Bootylon.

last edited at Dec 9, 2016 3:21AM

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

I'm both really excited and apprehensive for the last two episodes

As far as I know, we have three more episodes yet.

joined Mar 11, 2016

Stella no Mahou's this week's ep had some genuine subtext. One of the character's parent actually gave ok for a yuri relationship. x)

To reply you must either login or sign up.