Forum › Posts by Contessa

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Wow.

I can appreciate something like Murcielago because Kuroko being a pedophile is just par for the course-the whole basis of the manga is that she's Actually The Worst, and the humor is derived from how depraved she is.

I can appreciate something like Yuzumori-san since that addressed the age gap to a degree and doesn't make excuses. The last chapter more or less says "Hey yeah this worked out and is romanticized but for real don't do this irl because that's really fucked up and this is fiction".

I can appreciate something like Tsubakuma because it plays soft and loose with it. Is she actually sexually into the loli, or is she just in cuteness overload or have her motherly instincts like in overdrive. Even then, it's questionable as hell, but the humor is derived from things besides "haha look at her being horny" or anything.

This, however, is literally pedophilia. She's literally gloating about how she's an elementary school teacher and could do whatever she wanted to these kids, and we're supposed to laugh? What the actual fuck, my dudes.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I think this manga's goal is to make neets who would read it, feel guilty, or ashamed. And for the others to pity them.

Feel guilty toward their family, their friends, their past selves and even society as a whole.

The tone is comedy, but the subtext is that, at the moment, she's worthless.

Literally the opposite, I'm pretty sure. I'm going to preface and say I've been in Neeko's shoes for most of my adult life(hell I'm barely a year older than her), it's scary how much that this manga has reflected literal events that have happened in my life. My read has been similar to two other fantastic works about social anxiety--Welcome to the NHK and (early-mid)Watamote--it's almost autobiographical in a sense. Yeah, they're comedies, and yes they're not afraid to poke at their protagonist, but it comes from a place of knowing and understanding. Last chapter, with Neeko's self-destructive nostalgia fit for example, is an aspect that even works focusing on neets rarely address, it's something I've done before. This last chapter, if you're taking it from the family's view I don't really know what to say. It's another thing that's happened personally to me--trying to take a step to better yourself in some way, then having your family come, misinterpret that initiative, and pressure you into doing things you're not ready to do until you just break down and end up pissing away whatever initiative you had. The various bouts of vapid indulgent selfishness, only to beat herself up for them after? Yeah that's legit too.

Now, why is Neeko perceived in such a negative way? Because we see things through her perspective, and she has close to no self-esteem. She feels guilty about being a burden to her family, about being developmentally behind her peers, about failing her past self(which speaking of in that flashback? Neeko's aspirations being completely vague even back then? That's the real shit right there). It reflects in the narration and the her actions. The subtext isn't really that she's worthless, its that she thinks she's worthless when that's not really the case.

I really like this work in a lot of ways because it's one of the very few times I've really seen ~my~ experiences put to a page. I don't really think it's been a comedy much either, there are certainly comedic moments and by and large it's more light-hearted than something like My Lesbian Experience, but that's not a bad thing either.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

It's incredibly annoying that almost all of these "gender bender" manga willfully ignores that actual trans people exists, and if they remember, they ignore that hormone therapy is a thing that exists. Otherwise, cute

It's interesting, I've read more or less all of Ryuta Amazume's translated stuff and I'm pretty sure they're aware of trans people and dysphoria to some degree. Specifically, they has a two-shot story "Kawase, Me, and..." that (speaking personally) hit on that perfect fever mix of puberty dysphoria in a way no other work had. Their other manga "Bra Girls/Swing Girls"(name depends on translation) is even more explicit and has a lot of trans-related diy tips you've probably seen if you browsed the net before.

Their works are definitely intended as erotica, and they do have a lot of issues, but I chalk it up to the fact I suspect this most of this was written years ago and their knowledge might have improved over time.

Contessa
Anime season 04 May 02:25
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Yeah, its way too late baring the most miracle of miracles for most of the mid-00s yuri classics. Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto's adaptations killed any chance of them being adapted back in 2009.

Yuri is in the public eye right now, and I do think we'll see some adaptations probably soon of Bloom Into You/Kiss & White Lily/Kase-san even if Citrus/NTR shit the bed(which they will, but not that bad I suspect). Otherwise, the only other yuri I could see getting adapted at the moment(which involves having enough content to adapt as well) is Murcielago--which I'd be all for if they aired it on ATX or something. This is discounting any of the myriad other yuri manga that no one really knows about in the west due to the language barrier, of course.

I do think that the non-romance yuri has much more of a chance though. Pretty much every action anime has some lesbian side-character of course, but there's a fairly healthy subgenre of 'incidental' yuri--last year alone we had Izetta, Flip Flappers, and Pandora in the Crimson Shelll, last season we had Urara Meirochou and Maid Dragon. All of these shows actually had a fairly core yuri relationship(to varying 'hardness' of course). The only thing holding it back as of now is the defiance to brazenly confirm the relationship--of the five I listed only Pandora verged on explicit, although the metaphor behind Flip Flappers also makes it very clear the show is primarily apart Cocona coming to terms with her sexual identity. Then again, we can see even with Yuri on Ice that they play fast and loose with the canonicity even as it gets more and more absurd("friendship rings" anyone) so this isn't something holding back just F/F stuff.

I think if a mainstream big-name show actually doubled down and unabashed 100% doubled down on even just one main ship, the 'its just subtext' thing would start to break. That's the biggest hope for Symphogear AXZ(or S5), HibiMiku is arguably above Nanoha-levels of canon, and I think Symphogear has just enough edge and creator oversight compared to most of the other highest-tier shows that it could happen.

Contessa
Liberty discussion 01 Mar 15:00
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

It figures the seiyuu for Tomoko is into yuri.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I hope this doesn't go the "Poly person is proved wrong and magically becomes monogamous upon meeting the 'right' person" route because that's just insulting.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but outside of fiction, polyamorous relationships are never long-lived and are always doomed to fail. They are inherently unhealthy. Monogamous relationships are complicated enough already. The more individuals with different ways-of-thinking and motivations you throw into the mix, the more complicated and unstable the dynamic becomes. It's all in the math.

(citation needed)

Contessa
Anime season 29 Dec 14:43
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I'm so so so happy about Flip Flappers. I'm willing to forgive the lack of a kiss because this show more than most others was just so real with their relationship. The fact that they legit said unambiguously that they love each other makes it for me. I just...I'm so happy right now...

Contessa
Anime season 02 Dec 15:34
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Sincerely doubt the main couple will die in FlipFlappers. Makes actually zero sense with the plot their doing(coming of age story).

Contessa
Anime season 02 Dec 02:05
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

^ don't forget Sangatsu no Lion, Fune wo Amu, Occultic;Nine, Magical Girl Murder Simulator(this one has actual Lesbians!), Wixoss kinda, Yuri on Ice...

I know most of those don't have lady gays but honestly this season is one of the most stacked seasons in a very long time(since WInter 2014 or Fall 2012 at least). Yuri on Ice+Flip Flap alone put it above the rest of this year easily(speaking personally the only two shows I really fell in love with in the first 2 seasons were Pandora and ConRevo).

Contessa
It's Okay discussion 28 Nov 19:37
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Holy shit this is real good. If you removed Yuri raping Emoji part of this, I could easily see this being a canon chapter of Watamote, which is about the highest praise I could give.

For those out of the know, Watamote in recent times has kinda turned into a yuri comedy/bildunsroman in the past year or so and it's been easily elevated the cringe comedy into something almost poignant. Speaking from my gay soul, Tomoko's character growth and actions so closely mirror my own coming to terms with my orientation. It's easily in my top 4-5 currently publishing yuri series.

Contessa
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I'm mildly impressed but worried by this so far. It's hinted at having a somewhat "real" story and delving into queerness a bit, especially with the brother character. It's subtle but compared to the way most works address a crossdresser, Subaru seems to have a bit more going on than 'lol siscon lol pretty clothes', I could see this going in an awkward 'the-mangaka-doesnt-understand-but-tries' trans-ish direction more than most otokonoko manga at the moment.

Best case scenario, this plays out with poly end for the main 3, trans/het end for the other two. Worst case is, well, what everyone here is already expecting. I can't say I have a lot of hope either, but speculatively I'm giving it a chance atm. Especially since the mangaka has literally no apparent record besides this one to compare to.

Contessa
Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I think Mira excels more at longer stories than short stuff. Her short works very often feel like they had a slightly more involved story planned that gets truncated at the expense of the work. When she does do the longer stuff though, she's probably my favorite hentai mangaka.