Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I just realized, I've assumed that Shio has been officially designated as a "Missing Person", but from what we've seen, the only person putting up fliers and looking for Shio is Asahi (her brother, probably). In the pre-serialization oneshot, she was on the police missing persons' website, but the actual series has so many discrepancies with the original work that it's probably best to treat them as separate stories.

That seems to indicate then that her parents haven't reported her missing, either because they don't care about her, or because they're dead. In chapters 5 and 6, Asahi's flashbacks show him handing Shio to a woman (probably their mother), who takes her and flees from the house (name on the door says Kobe). Before she leaves, she promises to return for him. He then returns inside to confront "a demon". Shio's flashbacks show her living along with her mother, who insists that she never leave the house, and is always either faceless or angry in her memory.

Thus we can sort of reconstruct events to say that Shio's father was a violent man. Shio's mother took her and left, but Asahi stayed behind as a sacrifice (it's clear he knows he's going to be beaten if he stays, but he's more worried about Shio). Later on, Shio's mother's mental state degenerated, probably due to fear and worry that her husband would come after her. In this scenario, there is a plausible case to be made that her mother is dead, due to domestic abuse, and her father is dead as well, or locked up, or simply doesn't care to look for her. Asahi is clearly living on the streets, and his pathological distrust of adults indicates that he either couldn't get the police to help, or that he didn't even try asking for their help.

The person who Satou chopped up and disposed of is probably her aunt. For one thing, Shouko knows where Satou lives, and thinks of it as the place where she lives with her aunt - Shouko knew Satou before Satou acquired Shio, so it would make sense that the place she thinks of as Satou's home is the place where she lived with her aunt. In chapter 2, there is a scene where the narrator says, "This happiness-filled castle built for two is all thanks to one person's sacrifice" and the scene cuts to the garbage bags in the bloody room. Satou's flashbacks and hallucinations of her aunt tend to be of a woman with bandages covering her face and neck, which shows that she suffered violence from someone. It would be far more difficult to murder someone and move into their apartment than it would be to murder someone you live with and continue to live there. In the first case, the landlord and neighbors might be suspicious, acquaintances of the former resident would be suspicious, and if the person were reported as missing, the police would show up and be very curious why a stranger was living in the home of a missing person. If you already lived there and were known as a relative of the missing person, it would be easier to avoid suspicion and talk your way out of any problems. The main problem with this assessment is that mail from Satou's workplace is returned, which would seems to indicate that her registered address has changed at some point.

So I believe that some incident occurred that involved Shio running away from her mother, Shio's father killing her mother, Satou killing her aunt, and Satou kidnapping/rescuing Shio. The initial connection between Satou and Shio is the main mystery in this scenario. It could have been random chance, that Satou happened upon Shio when they were both in desperate and confused states and they clung to each other. It could be that Satou or Satou's aunt had some relationship with Shio's father or mother, in which case this whole mess would be a convoluted chain of domestic violence.

Of course, this is all speculation on the partial evidence available. The author could easily introduce new characters or complications that would render this all meaningless. Some or all of the hints so far could be mere distractions meant to mislead us. But I think the prominent role of psychotically obsessive love is consistent with a setup involving interconnected chains of domestic abuse.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 7:11AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

You know what... This manga made me so curious about Sato, Shio, and all the characters... Just can't wait to read volume 4! I hope it will explain all things.

Symbol%20small002
joined Aug 26, 2015

Quick question: Anyone else feel like they are slowly going stark-raving-mad reading this, and liking it?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I wonder what it'll entail. I wonder what a collab specifically is actually. Will the characters meet? Interact? Is it canon? Very different themes in both series too, it's not like we'll get Nanami and Sato chilling and grabbing a cup of tea together and discuss how they figuratively or literally keep someone captive as their beloved

joined Nov 2, 2015

Chapter 8-11 is volume 3, someone please fix.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Oh, no Satou is baiting lolicon-kun. Now I am really worried for his safety...

Satou does not look like someone who willlingly share her loli through

Screenshot_35
joined Nov 22, 2016

I'm worried of what'll happen with Taiyou-kun xd
I hope for Sato don't kill he
But if Taiyou hurt Shio or anything, Sato'll be free to do whatever she want

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Well that was a short chapter.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

You know, even though I see the flaws in the manga, Satou is the kind of character that I love and is pretty rare, even more in yuri works.
I hope she gets her twisted happy end.

last edited at Nov 27, 2016 1:44PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Wtv posted:

O hope she gets her twisted happy end.

Or even just a legitimately happy end. Despite how fucked up she is she still manages to feel a lot less fucked up than most of the other characters so it's kinda hard not to root for her. And even if she's fucked up, while we still only have bits and pieces of Shio's back story it still seems like the current situation is overall an improvement for the both of them. Though still not a healthy situation it's at least a start.

Img_0469
joined Sep 9, 2016

She's gonna kill him. It's obvious

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

This is so creepy and fucked up yet I find myself keep reading it...I will say that this series is not bad

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I'm expecting her to kill him tbh, which I wouldn't mind. He tried taking Shio-chan home once, practically drooled all over her. He worries me, I don't like him. It's annoying that he accuses Sato of abducting the girl, that it's something "unforgivable" but that's totally what he tried to do, barely weeks ago. *rolls eyes*.

Edit: What's up with the chapter organisation? Chapter 8 marks the start of V3, and V4 starts with chapter 12.

last edited at Nov 27, 2016 6:19PM

Rnbl
joined Sep 2, 2013

Handing your stalker a possible severed head is a pretty effective way of unnerving them tbh, i wonder if he ever looked inside?

joined Dec 7, 2013

risingstar3110: Satou does not look like someone who willlingly share her loli through

I think this line basically sums up the whole series.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Despite how fucked up she is she still manages to feel a lot less fucked up than most of the other characters so it's kinda hard not to root for her.

This is basically it. Not really hard to root for her when everyone else has the potential to don the crazy eyes.

joined Sep 18, 2016

Satou has become my favorite yandere, she's so different from the others. She resolves things (most of them) with logic and in a pacific way; she seems to have good sense (she does wrong things but understands it, she isn't delusional) and is so unpredictable. How many times we thought that she was gonna kill somebody and she does something totally different (like the teacher or the girl who wanted to become like her)? But what makes me really like Satou is that despite that I find her much more creepier than the crazy psychotics yanderes, maybe is because she's so realistic.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

SuffererFangirl posted:

Satou has become my favorite yandere, she's so different from the others. She resolves things (most of them) with logic and in a pacific way; she seems to have good sense (she does wrong things but understands it, she isn't delusional) and is so unpredictable. How many times we thought that she was gonna kill somebody and she does something totally different (like the teacher or the girl who wanted to become like her)? But what makes me really like Satou is that despite that I find her much more creepier than the crazy psychotics yanderes, maybe is because she's so realistic.

Being more pacifist about how she handles things is actually a very logical way to deal with problems. Murdering everyone who gets in your way is going to get you caught eventually. Someone is going to notice them missing even if you manage to dispose of the body properly and eventually you're going to get tied to all these disappearances. On the other hand subtly manipulating or blackmailing people is much easier to get away with.

joined Oct 10, 2016

AAAA OMG 4TH VOLUME IS GETTING READY!!!
Sorry but I am so overwhelmed about this manga!

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Well, this chapter just feels like it ended rather abruptly, maybe just because it didn't have any 'to be continued' at the end. Still, really enjoying this series as more chapters come out.

Doctoraaaaaa
joined Apr 14, 2015

I wonder how this will end for sato

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

Aand the plot thickens, with another possibly yandere/pervert thrown into the mix. I wonder where her character development will go

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Wait so that hoodie guy was actually that little girl's brother? Damn.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

UlquiorraSchiffer1 posted:

Wait so that hoodie guy was actually that little girl's brother? Damn.

Hasn't that been known for quite awhile now?

To reply you must either login or sign up.