Forum › Yuri Danshi discussion

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Yeah, I agree 100% with this dude. Cross-dressing guys falling in love with girls should not be called Yuri at all, And whomever does call it Yuri needs to have sense slapped into them.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Aside from the gag about Wildrose mostly I just read this chapter wanting to strangle the guy D:

Same. In the previous chapters he was a little annoying and creepy, but not so much that I couldn't find the stories amusing. But sexually assaulting a transvestite boy isn't something I can bring myself to laugh at. The protagonist gets his cliched, slapstick beating at the hands of a bunch of girls as a form of retribution, but I'm tired of that particular trope and it doesn't really make me feel any better. He does learn a relevant and worthwhile lesson in entitlement, but promptly forgets it before the end of the chapter.

I'm definitely agreeing with a lot of the criticisms leveled at this series earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I agree 100% with this dude. Cross-dressing guys falling in love with girls should not be called Yuri at all, And whomever does call it Yuri needs to have sense slapped into them.

Right. Except in this particular situation, nobody was calling it yuri except the protagonist, so it was just him invasively creeping in on a completely unfamiliar couple's relationship and setting himself up for disappointment. That was the "joke."

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 4:53PM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

I pretty much hate how he basically tries to say that the only girls who can be yuri are those who were born women. I know plenty of trans women lesbians and they're totally yuri.

joined Apr 28, 2016

I pretty much hate how he basically tries to say that the only girls who can be yuri are those who were born women. I know plenty of trans women lesbians and they're totally yuri.

I'd argue that there's no direct indication that Hiromi is transgender, we only know that he's a transvestite. His girlfriend refers to him as "he" and "my boyfriend" and he doesn't seem to object. We also don't know whether he's crossdressing because he wants to and feels its part of his sexual/gender identity in some way, or if he's doing it for pragmatic/circumstantial reasons (e.g. he just wants to be with his girlfriend). No concrete confirmation or denial, however.

He and his girlfriend aren't terribly fleshed out and I don't get the feeling the series will revisit them at any point. So a lot of this will probably remain speculation.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 4:52PM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Nidienne posted:

I'd argue that there's no direct indication that Hiromi is transgender, we only know that he's a transvestite. His girlfriend refers to him as "he" and "my boyfriend" and he doesn't seem to object. Not a concrete confirmation or denial, however.

Yeah but he didn't even ask, he just automatically went 'boy in girl clothes' fury mode and decided to hunt them down and rip off their clothes. We'd have no chance to assess trans status or not, he just attacked.

joined Apr 28, 2016

Oh, right. The protagonist is being a giant creeper asshole in this chapter. No argument there.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 4:54PM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lol I had forgotten about this one ^_^
Best line -

wild rose!?? O.O hehe

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 4:59PM

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

And chapter 3, ladies and gentlemen, is what's gonna happen if these anti-transgender bathroom laws get put in place... rabid male yuri fans tearing the clothes off traps :P

joined Jun 11, 2016

I hate the fact that he acts like its a sin for guys to like Yuri. I mean, since when did it matter what the gender of people who like yuri are ?

We also don't know whether he's crossdressing because he wants to and feels its part of his sexual/gender identity in some way, or if he's doing it for pragmatic/circumstantial reasons (e.g. he just wants to be with his girlfriend). No concrete confirmation or denial, however.

He's crossdressing because his girlfriend is attending a all-girls school and he doesn't want to be the only boy there, So he dresses up like a girl so he can fit in.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:03PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

And chapter 3, ladies and gentlemen, is what's gonna happen if these anti-transgender bathroom laws get put in place... rabid male yuri fans tearing the clothes off traps :P

I highly doubt that that would be the outcome.

joined Jan 8, 2014

This whole manga is Yuri Hime mocking its own male readership.

Why would Yuri Hime mock its male demographic ? What the hell would that accomplish ?

Oh, cmon the protagonist said it at the start, "it doesn't say "no boys allowed" anymore" I actually think this is Yuri Hime saying thanks for your support to any true male yuri fans, like this protagonist(cause it's highlighting all the things yuri fans love, including the cliche "scenes") but then making it acceptable and completely hilarious to see someone who can never experience yuri, struggle to have it in their life...lol, trust me in real life this guy would be total creeper staring and what not, but his inner monologues alone are why I like this, cause on boring days ill put on my rose colored yuri glasses now and then for fun
(Yeah I'm a fan girl)

Thiaguinho-sama
Ratana%20avatar%203.3%20dynasty
joined May 11, 2012

gwennie-chan

Yeah but he didn't even ask, he just automatically went 'boy in girl clothes' fury mode and decided to hunt them down and rip off their clothes. We'd have no chance to assess trans status or not, he just attacked.

Okay no offense, but how this chapter has anything to do with trans? Like, seriously? Didn't the chapter made pretty clear that it's a straight boy crossdressing to be with his girlfriend in an all-girls school? He didn't attack the boy because he's crossdressing, but because he thought the boy was lying to the girl by pretending to be a girl.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yeah, there absolutely has to be a yuri tag on this. If your argument is that there's no yuri in it, I would point you to the pictures of girls kissing and holding hands that are contained in every chapter.

So subtext maybe then? Maybe there should be a new "yuri delusion" tag or "imaginery yuri" added specially for such kind of series, yeah that sounds good, at least there should be a warning for cross-dressing content and with that "het" making out content in chapter 3.

Meta-yuri? Though this is technically doubly-meta, because it's not a story about relationships between girls, but a satire of a certain type of fans of fictional depictions of relationships between girls.

joined Aug 4, 2014

Why on God's earth would you remove the yuri tag? The manga makes several overt references to yuri manga, yuri references are interspersed throughout the manga, and it directly deals with and satirizes yuri.

I'm glad it was picked up though Chapter 3 was kind of weak.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Re: TL note #1, the text on that tent is backwards because it's supposed to be visible from the outside of the tent, but the printing I guess was dark enough that you could see it from the other side, causing it to look reversed. The effect is intentional.

joined Jun 11, 2016

(Yeah I'm a fan girl)

Dynasty Reader is a Hive full of Fangirls & Fanboys. With Nez being the Queen and drpepperfan being second in command ( Thats my interpretation ).

Thiaguinho-sama
joined May 11, 2012

gwennie-chan

I'm pretty sure he never said anything even close to that... : x

Sora
joined Oct 16, 2016

Re: TL note #1, the text on that tent is backwards because it's supposed to be visible from the outside of the tent, but the printing I guess was dark enough that you could see it from the other side, causing it to look reversed. The effect is intentional.

Ahhh, thank you, thank you. I couldn't properly grasp the architecture of the tent before.
I thought the side with the text on it was in the foreground, which would not only mean the text was meant to be viewed from the inside (kind of odd), but also that the structure of the tent is all kinds of strange.
I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out what I was looking at, until eventually I just gave up.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure he never said anything even close to that... : x

Just my opinion, but I thought Keisuke seemed to be at odds with the forum-troll response to Kashimashi, which would imply that he doesn't have a problem with transgender yuri.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:23PM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

gwennie-chan

Okay no offense, but how this chapter has anything to do with trans? Like, seriously? Didn't the chapter made pretty clear that it's a straight boy crossdressing to be with his girlfriend in an all-girls school? He didn't attack the boy because he's crossdressing, but because he thought the boy was lying to the girl by pretending to be a girl.

Yes, he assumed that without any of that context that was provided later. The point they were making was that with the information the MC had at his disposal "trans girl" was just as much of a possible explanation (and realistically speaking the more likely one) as "cross dressing straight guy" and he didn't even stop to consider that possibility.

Thiaguinho-sama
joined May 11, 2012

tltl

Just my opinion, but I thought Keisuke seemed to be at odds with the forum-troll response to Kashimashi, which would imply that he doesn't have a problem with transgender yuri.

Yeah, from what I understand he had problem with Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru but was okay with Kashimashi, so I don't really see how he said anything that was against trans.

majere

Yes, he assumed that without any of that context that was provided later. The point they were making was that with the information the MC had at his disposal "trans girl" was just as much of a possible explanation (and realistically speaking the more likely one) as "cross dressing straight guy" and he didn't even stop to consider that possibility.

I think it can be argued if "trans girl" would be realistically more likely, in real life I completely agree with that, but in manga? I highly doubt it, also, both in real life and the character, wouldn't a trans use the female bathroom instead? And about he not considering that possibility, don't forget that he was not thinking properly because of his delusions, and the supposed girl not only entered the male bathroom, but was literally urinating right besides him, so I find it kind of unlikely that he would think that maybe it was a trans...

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:53PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

why do I relate to this guy so much even thought I'm not a male..it's so funny xD ahahah
no what, are you serious? why there isn't any yuri in a manga that has the word yuri everywhere?!

He represents more than a guy who likes yuri, hes more like.. an exaggerated version of a someone in the fandom and not just the guys.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:44PM

joined Aug 23, 2013

Oh. I read about this series earlier. I'm really interested.

Oh wow. This shit is funny. Not to mention it is creepy how many times I can relate to the MC. I never thought I was so creepy from the outside. This is basically a mirrored fujoshi. But what would be the the term for it? Fudanshi?

I liked Kashimashi. Well I suppose I like het romances too, so it was no wonder. I liked the ending too. I mean the manga's ending. The anime was a travesty, even though they employed some of my favourite voice actresses for the main roles.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:51PM

Thiaguinho-sama
joined May 11, 2012

Oh yeah, I don't believe anyone mentioned, but the spin off Yuri Danshi-kun is being translated, it's almost done actually, only two volumes, I hope it'll be uploaded here too.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 5:55PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

gwennie-chan

Which is kind of why "trap" is such an awful term. Here's a guy who basically treated a crossdresser as doing it deliberately to deceive, and needed to be punished for that offence. Could easily have been a trans character, but in this case it wasn't. Doesn't really make it better, since crossdressers as a rule aren't out to trick anyone either, and explicitly isn't in this case.

Thiaguinho-sama
joined May 11, 2012

Nezchan

Which is kind of why "trap" is such an awful term. Here's a guy who basically treated a crossdresser as doing it deliberately to deceive, and needed to be punished for that offence. Could easily have been a trans character, but in this case it wasn't. Doesn't really make it better, since crossdressers as a rule aren't out to trick anyone either, and explicitly isn't in this case.

Yeah, from what I know trap is mostly used by western otakus or by people who learned the concept from western otakus, apparently the real term for those characters and people according to sites like Danbooru and Wikipedia would be Otokonoko/Otoko no Ko, or Otoko no Musume, which would mean "male daughter", while for reverse traps, crossdressing girls, according to Danbooru Pixiv uses the term Dansou ("Disguising oneself as a man") or Dansou no Reijin ("A beautiful woman disguised as a man"), those terms are even used in mangas too, but most people, especially in the west, are accostumed to say trap, no idea if in japan they use trap as much as we do, or if they even use it at all to be honest.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 6:13PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.