Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

joined Oct 12, 2013

I actually think this is like a much more tightly written Girlfriends. I reread it recently and there’s a lot of exposition dumping. She’s learned to have a more subtle touch and show instead of tell. But yeah, hopefully we can skip the obligatory boyfriend arc this time around. Honestly, I think this might be my favourite of her manga.

Noface
joined Jun 23, 2016

This time it is more likely that we will get an Ex-Girlfriend arc (at least I hope so).

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 9, pg 2, "when you find a place this," ("like this"?)
pg 22, "the two of you could could have changed," (has "could" twice).

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 7:20AM

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

give me mooooooore

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Wait, what? Half a year? Was that a time skip or a TL error? I guess Hina actually said half a month, right?

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

Don't do it Hina nooooo

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

The next chapter, both of them get boyfriends, get pregnant, and have shotgun weddings. They never talk to each other again. The End

True story.

Actually, the drama doesn't really hamfisted at all, in my opinion. It might seem that way when you can't read all chapters back to back though.

@takachi
She means since she started working there, i.e. since chapter one.

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 10:30AM

joined Mar 28, 2014

@takachi

I don't get it T__T Hina says, "I haven't even been working here for half a year." Or did she want to say that she didn't feel as if she was working over the last half a year because it was too much fun with Hana?

Noface
joined Jun 23, 2016

haven`t --> have; cause she wants to quit the job.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

@takachi

I don't get it T__T Hina says, "I haven't even been working here for half a year." Or did she want to say that she didn't feel as if she was working over the last half a year because it was too much fun with Hana?

What's there to get? She just feels bad that she's quitting without having worked there for a long enough amount of time (6 months)
It means that in total, the amount of time she worked there is less than 6 months.
Obviously she's been working there for more than "half a month" man, lmao
The story started roughly around March I'd say, Hina haven't entered HS yet and the weather still being cold enough for Hana to wear the tanuki cosplay and feel at ease/warm.
Now they're thinking about their upcoming summer break, so probs around July, so I'm guessing that ever since Hina started working, approximately 3-4 months.
She does say less than half a year, not that 6 months have passed, that'd be way after summer break at that point

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 11:44AM

Thumbs
joined Apr 16, 2012

what a end. and a mis translation? dont get it @ al. wanna read more!

11230116_838371316217854_6532158904643790729_n
joined May 19, 2015

Does someone know if this is still ongoing in japan or if the serie is over already ?

joined Jan 11, 2015

what a end. and a mis translation? dont get it @ al. wanna read more!

What mistranslation? You're making me nervous! D:

Does someone know if this is still ongoing in japan or if the serie is over already ?

It's still ongoing.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

merinaga makes the type of manga that I binge read, so waiting for each chapter is killing me D:

joined Jan 11, 2015

merinaga makes the type of manga that I binge read, so waiting for each chapter is killing me D:

I'm sowwy~~~! T^T

joined Mar 28, 2014

@takachi

What's there to get? She just feels bad that she's quitting without having worked there for a long enough amount of time (6 months)
It means that in total, the amount of time she worked there is less than 6 months.
The story started roughly around March I'd say, Hina haven't entered HS yet and the weather still being cold enough for Hana to wear the tanuki cosplay and feel at ease/warm.
Now they're thinking about their upcoming summer break, so probs around July, so I'm guessing that ever since Hina started working, approximately 3-4 months.
She does say less than half a year, not that 6 months have passed, that'd be way after summer break at that point

I see. Could be my Engrish, but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year". The latter makes me read it as "In the last six months I have been skipping work" or something like that. So together with a sudden scene and Hina's clothes change, I was totally WTFed: did Hina make a 6-month break from work after the summer break and then decided to quit completely, and it's a sudden time skip presented to the readers? It didn't make sense to me at all, but I was totally oblivious to the other way of reading the same phrase. Or may be I read too many mangas with time skips.

joined Oct 12, 2013

@takachi

I see. Could be my Engrish, but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year". The latter makes me read it as "In the last six months I have been skipping work" or something like that. So together with a sudden scene and Hina's clothes change, I was totally WTFed: did Hina make a 6-month break from work after the summer break and then decided to quit completely, and it's a sudden time skip presented to the readers? It didn't make sense to me at all, but I was totally oblivious to the other way of reading the same phrase. Or may be I read too many mangas with time skips.

I think it's just your Engrish, it made perfect sense to me.

S
joined Dec 9, 2015

I can't stop seeing Mari in Hana....

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

takachi

I see. Could be my Engrish, but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year". The latter makes me read it as "In the last six months I have been skipping work" or something like that.

It's totally your Engrish. "...less than even half a year" is terrible English and doesn't flow well. The word "even" totally throws things off and doesn't work there. The phrase "I haven't even been working here for half a year" is readable to an English speaker referring to how she's letting the manager down by leaving after such a short time.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

@takachi

I see. Could be my Engrish, but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year".

Nezchan is right. (spoilering a long, pedantic dissection of the grammar and usage involved. Could be useful as a lesson but ignore it otherwise)

Your first phrasing is not only not as good, it's bad grammar--and not the kind of "bad grammar that everyone uses and understands" either, but the sort of bad grammar that causes confusion. Whereas the second phrasing is correct and also to me, and I think to most native English speakers, quite clear and normal usage. "I haven't (even) been working here half a year" == "I have been working here less than half a year" with the implication that "half a year" is, how to put it, the next significant time division that would have been reached (so for instance, you wouldn't say that after ten days; you'd say "I haven't . . . two weeks"). The "even" part implies that, considering some other thing under discussion, this is a (surprisingly or inappropriately) short time. This could be either good or bad, e.g. "X got promoted for being so awesome, and she hasn't even been working here for half a year!" or "Ei-chan made the final four at the Whatever Cup, and he hasn't even been playing tennis for two years!"

English usage, frankly, is weird--it seemed so natural and inevitable to me until I started dissecting it and realized half of that stuff isn't really implied by anything grammatical. It's just the way that phrasing works.

(On that first phrasing--the things wrong. 1: "I've started working" isn't necessarily wrong, but if you're going to attach a time to it, it probably is. So for instance, it would be "I started working yesterday" not "I've started working yesterday". 2: If you have a sentence where you did X in the past and you're talking about the amount of time that has passed rather than talking about a specific time in the past, you probably need to add "ago". So you'd say "I started work last week", but you'd say "I started work one week ago". So your sentence needed an "ago" at the end to make sense. 3. Like Nezchan says, "even" just doesn't fit there. You might say "less than" by itself, or you might say "**not** even" (without any "less than"), but you wouldn't combine them and you wouldn't have "even" by itself. So. Closest construction to your first that would be correct grammar would be "I started working here less than half a year ago." or "I started working here not even half a year ago." Even then, it wouldn't express the sentiments we're looking for as well as the phrasing the scanlators went with.)

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 10:00PM by Nezchan

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I see. Could be my Engrish,

Yes.

but I'd sure prefer it phrased as "I've started working here less than even half a year" as opposed to "I haven't even been working here for half a year".

Yeah, no.

Anyways, Ropponmatsu wouldn't have done something as ridiculous as mistaking "month" for "year". Half a month makes no sense, Hina's definitely worked there for more than two weeks.

last edited at Aug 10, 2016 2:16PM

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

To anyone who wants to nitpick, it's cool if something is a glaring issue, otherwise, remember: Scanlators do this for free. Paying our own money for the material. Doing it on our own time.

joined Mar 28, 2014

The rant on ambiguity.
Yeah, guys, thanks a lot for the grammar lesson. Point is, you haven't even understood me. Point is, in the current phrase there's ambiguity. It partly comes from the placement of the adverb "even". More on that here, and here, for example. So in the written dialogue, I'd change the phrase to "I haven't been working here for even half a year" to set the focus on the duration rather than on what Hina hasn't been doing.

And partly it comes from the IMHO unnecessary use of perfect continuous. Both, the latter and perfect simple can obviously be used to describe an action that has started in the past and continues now. Perfect continuous however gives more focus on the process of the action itself rather than on the overall action duration.

For example, compare "I've been working here on project A for seven years." to "I've worked here on project B for seven years". The first one tells you that over the last 7 years I've been doing work, various tasks for project A. It really highlights and focuses on the action itself, on what it consists of in the scope of the given time duration, which lasts immediately from now on to some time in the past. The second one tells you that I've worked here on project B for seven years indeed, and I perhaps still, but not necessarily, work here. What's interesting is what I'm gonna do from now on, thanks to me doing this work till now. Besides, what's interesting is the duration of seven years itself, not much the related process attached to the now time. In fact, I might have worked for 3 years on project C afterwards, and on project D in parallel, but for sure I didn't spend more than 7 years working on project B.

I'm not sure if I express the differences correctly, and I don't really know how to do it better, but there's clearly quite a difference between the two tenses. Therefore, I think that "I haven't yet worked here for half a year, and I'll feel bad for the manager... but I'm going to quit" works a lot better. At the very least, this certainly resolves the ambiguity about the duration aspect and the now time. The possible time skip hypothesis simply cannot survive in this case, at all. It's not that today is March 2017, and Hina hasn't been working for her manager for the last 6 months for god only knows what reason, and you have to WTF how things come to this weird time skip, which doesn't make sense at all. It's that Hina has worked for her manager some time in the past for the overall duration of less than 6 months. It doesn't even matter that they are the very last 6 months. What matters is that those less than 6 months are not a long enough duration to get used to a workplace and colleagues, but Hina still feels attached to her manager and thus feels sorry to suddenly quit the job in August 2016. This ambiguity by the way is also not present in the original Japanese version thanks to 未だ and のに.

Oh, and thanks, you guys motivated me to find the manga on book walker and read the rest of the Volume 2 in Japanese.

PS
I'm sorry for jumping to wrong conclusions though and hurting the TL's feelings. I sure could've presented my original concern in less arrogant, more respectful and friendly manner. I'll try to keep it in mind in the future.

last edited at Aug 10, 2016 8:56PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The rant on ambiguity.
Yeah, guys, thanks a lot for the grammar lesson. Point is, you haven't even understood me. Point is, in the current phrase there's ambiguity. It partly comes from the placement of the adverb "even". More on that here, and here, for example. So in the written dialogue, I'd change the phrase to "I haven't been working here for even half a year" to set the focus on the duration rather than on what Hina hasn't been doing.

No, to a native English speaker there isn't ambiguity. It's abundantly clear from the sentence and from the context that she's referring to quitting after a short period and thus letting her boss down.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Chill, dude. Could it be phrased differently? Certainly, but as a native speaker what was used is definitely what sounds most natural to me. There can be a disconnect between what makes sense easily when you say it out loud with tone and emphasis though and how something reads on a page.

To reply you must either login or sign up.