Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

what is gyaru

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

what is gyaru

Says a few times in the earlier chapters -

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch01#2

__io_euclase_and_rosetta_granblue_fantasy_drawn_by_takishima_asaka__1d4a58edaca73c7fce39685c5353a2f6_crop
joined Dec 30, 2014

In the end, I just want to pay the mangaka for their work. Problem is, they aren't getting the money they deserve with unofficial online translations; even though I legit bought the Japanese manga, they don't get paid when I share the translation. I like that the US license guarantees the mangaka gets paid for the US sales (I'd assume), but until that content is available, I feel like scanlation falls in a gray area, much like song parodies and video game let's plays.

The content we provide brings these awesome works to the English speaking public, exposes them to mangas they might not have otherwise known about, and is extremely handy when no official US licenses exist (or for people who live outside of the US and have no hopes of EVER having a local licensed version). Aren't sites like mangapark and dynasty-scans part of the reason why mangas get popular, and why official US deals are created? I ask because I'm not sure, but I'd suspect manga sites play a role.

Long story short, I purchased my own copy of Volume 2, and I want to share the English version with all of you. Either I'm going to make it for my own consumption, or I can try to share it. I vote for the later. If I'm asked to take it down, I will, but in each of my releases, I'm going to tell people about the official release and encourage them to purchase it. I want the money to go where it belongs, but I also want people to keep reading these fantastic works until they can purchase it themselves. Until then, I'm going to keep scanlating.

Good on you, I appreciate what you do. Don't take it down even if you get asked to.

Kuvl_u-8
joined Nov 1, 2015

I don't know why, but when Hinako fell asleep I thought that Hana was going to kiss her...

because GF ! why did it not happen :(

Haha. I thought the same.

Personally, I was hoping she wouldn't kiss her, exactly because it reminded me too much of GF and didn't want this one to be that similar to her previous work. So I'm happy it didn't go again for the "oh noes, I kissed my friend in her sleep !" route.

i agree actually and would have complainaid if it did take that route. also already vol2 and still no hint of a kiss :(

comeon she invite you alone in her room when her family is (supposely) away and wearing a miniskirt that almost show you her panties, get a clue ! :D

last edited at Jun 26, 2016 10:08AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

also already vol2 and still no hint of a kiss :(

comeon she invite you alone in her room when her family is (supposely) away and wearing a miniskirt that almost show you her panties, get a clue ! :D

If we compare it to girlfriends, the first kiss there was the end of chapter 7 - and chapter 10 till Mari figured out she was in love - so this manga isn't particularly going slower as yet - lets see if we have a kiss - or an Epiphany, by chapter 10 :)

Kuvl_u-8
joined Nov 1, 2015

lol you made me realize that the chapter that was similar to GF is also at the same number :p

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

pg 17, "I bet I'm the only one is school" should be "in school"

LMAO THAT'S GREAT
Same, Hana-chan, same, I'd bet so too :')

What, clearly Hana meant that she's a school.

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Faust posted:

pg 17, "I bet I'm the only one is school" should be "in school"

LMAO THAT'S GREAT
Same, Hana-chan, same, I'd bet so too :')

What, clearly Hana meant that she's a school.

And such a cute little school she is:)

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Malibu and Ropponmatsu, thank you so much for translating chapter 7. You guys are the best.

That being said, After reading a few series from Morinaga, it does start to feel that they all follow the same structure. Thankfully she hasn't gotten to the point where reading one series is like reading all of them but is still kind of distracting.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Malibu and Ropponmatsu, thank you so much for translating chapter 7. You guys are the best.

That being said, After reading a few series from Morinaga, it does start to feel that they all follow the same structure. Thankfully she hasn't gotten to the point where reading one series is like reading all of them but is still kind of distracting.

You think so? Certainly there are some similarities in her works - mainly visual style, setting, and using the same / similar character archetypes - but each series feels pretty different to me.

The closest 2 to girl friends would probably be After school, and kisses sighs - which would since it was the for-runner to girl friends and where those characters originated. After school - beyond the story being not very similar, has a different feel for me for various reasons.

Secret princess felt quite different in tone too - and secret recipe even more so since it was more comedy based.

And I don't think it's possible to write a manga MORE different from her other stuff than Mare is.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Example of REAL Highschool rules in Japan

Looks a lot less relaxed than in manga.

I taught in a similar school - rural, but sought after and our students went to the good universities after graduation. I would say reality is more relaxed than the rules would indicate. Also, I would say the students didn't mind as much as you might think. With everyone constantly stressing over The Test (and in our students' case, they'd had at least one The Test before - to get into our school - and possibly another - to get into a good middle school), it's nice to also have school rules and pride and old-fashionedness. That says you're going to a good school, not just a Test-Passing Factory.

As far as I know, our students mostly didn't go straight home, since they actually had quite a commute. If you had totally banned "hanging out after school" it would have been like banning having friends. It's not like urban areas where you have endless trains. Our students were polite, well-dressed, and obedient, but if they needed a part-time job, they wouldn't have gotten into any trouble. You all know we had school on Saturdays, right? But actually, that's the best day of the school week - about a half day and that's when the students get a lot of socializing in.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The tone of those series is obviously different but they follow the same plot beats: perky blonde girl shakes the world of the more serious brunette, blonde develops strong feelings for the brunette while brunette struggles to understand these new feelings blondie is stirring in her, conflict and misunderstanding happens, things work out in the end and they become a lovely couple.

Girlfriends is different on its structure since it dealt more directly with the implications and consequences of coming out on top the usual romance tropes. I guess that is what I find distracting, Morinaga's works of late are just different takes on the same romance tropes, lacking that layer that made Girlfriends so special.

Mare is the anomaly on Morinaga's output but also is one of her earliest works.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I guess they do follow very similar 'plot beats' - though in half her stuff it's the small Mari like girl who has feelings first not the blond :) I guess Since I really enjoy the general high school girls falling in love setting I don't notice / mind those similarities :)

On another note - to the translators or anyone who's seem the raws, what do Hana and Hinata's names mean (the Kanji) ? I guess Hana uses the flower Kanji? Authors often like to use related names for couples so I was curious.

last edited at Jun 27, 2016 12:55PM

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

That mysterious frigging aching in her chest, god... Japan is in severe need of posters all over the schools saying: chest throbbing or ache? consult your doctor or admit you're in love!

last edited at Jun 27, 2016 2:01PM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

You're welcome! It's fun to share something with the community, and it feels wonderful when our work is appretiated! =]

On another note - to the translators or anyone who's seem the raws, what do Hana and Hinata's names mean (the Kanji) ? I guess Hana uses the flower Kanji? Authors often like to use related names for couples so I was curious.

As you suspected, Hana indeed uses 花 (flower). Hinako just uses katakana, but "hina" means "chick", and "-ko" is the usual feminine name ending you see everywhere. So, there isn't really any relation/similarities in this case, though I agree that is often the case.

last edited at Jun 27, 2016 2:35PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

As you suspected, Hana indeed uses 花 (flower). Hinako just uses katakana, but "hina" means "chick", and "-ko" is the usual feminine name ending you see everywhere.

Thanks for the info :) I'm suprised Hinako is in Katakana - I thought they only did that with foreign names, or modern names where there was no suitable Kanji? I'm sure I've seen Hinako multiple times and thought it was a common traditional name - it sounds like a meiji era empress or something?

last edited at Jun 27, 2016 5:47PM

joined Jan 11, 2015

It actually depends a lot. It's very common with names in both katakana and hiragana, sometimes in combination with a kanji. E.g. a name like Hanako can be written as はな子.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Example of REAL Highschool rules in Japan

Looks a lot less relaxed than in manga.

I taught in a similar school - rural, but sought after and our students went to the good universities after graduation. I would say reality is more relaxed than the rules would indicate. Also, I would say the students didn't mind as much as you might think. With everyone constantly stressing over The Test (and in our students' case, they'd had at least one The Test before - to get into our school - and possibly another - to get into a good middle school), it's nice to also have school rules and pride and old-fashionedness. That says you're going to a good school, not just a Test-Passing Factory.

As far as I know, our students mostly didn't go straight home, since they actually had quite a commute. If you had totally banned "hanging out after school" it would have been like banning having friends. It's not like urban areas where you have endless trains. Our students were polite, well-dressed, and obedient, but if they needed a part-time job, they wouldn't have gotten into any trouble. You all know we had school on Saturdays, right? But actually, that's the best day of the school week - about a half day and that's when the students get a lot of socializing in.

Here are a few of the surprising rules that my students must follow at my school.

Is a school being strict about their uniform, if they have one, really that surprising?

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I assume they mean the other stuff in there like they can't wear a watch, have sleep overs at friends, go to karaoke or an arcade without parents, can't wear a brightly coloured coat in winter, etc.

last edited at Jun 28, 2016 10:25PM

uzumakixhinata
joined Nov 7, 2013

This chap is so darn cute

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

She really reminds me of Mari chan from Girlfriends

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

She really reminds me of Mari chan from Girlfriends

ikr. After she woke up, her hair wasn't as curled and actually got a bit feelsy, like, aw, Mari ;A; my baby

joined Jun 29, 2016
Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

I supplied a link to the Chapter 7-12 Raws in an earlier post in this thread, check them out :) they're pretty high res.

Edit: here's that link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5EVjtosupv0STU1Z3VmRkEySkk&usp=sharing

last edited at Jun 29, 2016 4:39PM

joined Jan 11, 2015

New link to of ch8 - ch12 Raws. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4NUpdXQeTDnSS1PR0FBQmJqcWc

We are working on the translations, so consider waiting for them to avoid spoilers, unless you can read Japanese.

last edited at Jul 1, 2016 1:53PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.