Forum › Bokura no Hentai discussion

Amanda%20baptista%20avy
joined Mar 13, 2016

Brutal. I shuddered outright.

Depressing as fuck is the right tag for that last chapter.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

I hope another doujin gets released after this one because yeah. Leaving on that note is awful. I know it's a fairly realistic development but Tamura deserves better than this :(

My Neighbor Momiji
Cc14807591971a476eef84c6a8b71c6e
joined Jan 12, 2016

Well. There goes my mood for the day. Yea I really hope something else gets made. Anything better than this.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, Marika has become even more beautiful.

That's what I'll remember about this chapter.

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

"Gut, meet Fist. He's gonna be punching the shit out of you today."

wtf :(

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

This was so depressing that you put that tag twice. Makes sense

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

It's depressing as fuck, but there's also a couple of depressing ass fucks that happen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I didnt thought it was that depressing. He's finally facing things up and by living on his own he's free to ask for help to his friends or profesionally.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

I didnt thought it was that depressing. He's finally facing things up and by living on his own he's free to ask for help to his friends or profesionally.

By facing things on his own you mean spiraling further into destructive habits that reinforce his internatlization of how he was raped and coerced into sex while dressed as a woman by multiple different men? He tried opening up and his mom refused to acknowledge it. How do you think that's going to make him feel about getting help professionally when the one who should love him unconditionally "didn't want to be troubled by it."

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

wow :(

that was really depressing. I was expecting it but I wasn't expecting it on that level

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think author just wanted to show that not everyone can have a happy ending. That's how life is.

In the end, Tamura's problems weren't solved and his own mother didn't want to hear about them. Maybe if Ryousuke had returned his feelings, things could have been different.

By the way, What does Ryousuke want to face his parents with? I didn't get what he was talking about.

Ss%20(2016-08-15%20at%2001.20.40)
joined Jun 23, 2013

By the way, What does Ryousuke want to face his parents with? I didn't get what he was talking about.

maybe the fact that he still crossdress I guess ?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

TOzz posted:

maybe the fact that he still crossdress I guess ?

As far as the end of the manga is concerned, I thought he had stopped.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

" depressing ass fuck "

I just can't

Drinks%20cup
joined Feb 9, 2016

did someone really tag this with "depressing as fuck" and "depressing ASS fuck" lmao.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Well that was an unnecessary depressing add to the story ovo

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I'm really glad i read this though. Nornally I would've never picked this up purely because of the tags. But since i had nothing better to do...
And i have to say, I'm really glad i read this manga. It opened up my view a bit more about transgender people. And it was just a nice read tol, though really heavy and fucked up at times haha
I still don't get why Marika suddenly felt awkward about her dressing as a girl, as herself, and was worried if dressing like that was okay...

last edited at Jun 18, 2016 6:11PM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I decided to read the stuff under the transgender tag just out of a whim, and this was probably the most surprising of them all. It really turned out well in the end... It was a really moving story with all of them.

As for the afterstory, I don't think that Palow is as doomed as all that, he's got problems but I kinda think that he could have a real relationship if he met the right guy (hopefully before he gets a bunch of STDs). But his sexual tendencies are probably always going to be... unusual, and he's probably always going to have a big sex drive. That things haven't turned out for him YET is not EVER. I know lots of people who had various problems in their lives, that managed to find a way through later on (and "normal" people who ended up having serious problems). And lots of people have kinky sex.

Even with everything, I think Palow is MUCH more well-adjusted compared to what he was like at the beginning of the story. Really, he seems to be having fun.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

It's depressing as fuck, but there's also a couple of depressing ass fucks that happen.

"Depressing ass fuck" is the greatest tag of all time.

Miki
joined Jun 26, 2016

Hello people. I've been reading this series for quite some while and I wanted to post a review of it here. I am curious to know whether people agree or not with it.

The following review will contain some very important spoilers. For disclosure purposes I should mention I am myself a transgender woman and that many things I will critique about the series have to do with identity issues.

When I first started reading "Bokura no Hentai" I found myself intrigued. A manga that deals respectfully with transgender and crossdressing characters, without mixing up the two categories? A story that doesn't focus on fanservice but on the actual, real-life problems queer youth faces? Count me in!

"Bokura no Hentai", for the most part, delivers amazingly well on its premise. The characters are very interesting and humane, each one of them with their own life issues. Even more importantly, the trio of protagonists (Marika, who is the trans girl of the group, Tamura, who is crossdressing for his lover, and Ryousuke who does so for his dead sister) are not the exclusive focus of the story. Secondary characters like Akane and Tomochi also get some of the spot light and the mangaka manages to handle their cases very well.

There is a great deal of diversity among the protagonists and their experiences, so the story doesn't get monotonous. Moreover, the "plot" gives plenty of room for character development. Honestly, one of the most enjoyable parts of "Bokura no Hentai" is watching the characters I've come to love grow and learn from their experiences. It made me feel as if I went to school with them, listened to their worries and shared their concerns. It made me care about them a whole lot.

The art is great, minimalistic yet not simplistic. I especially loved the colored introductions in each volume. I believe that they give a warmer feeling to the story and they work great as a way to further humanize the characters.

So far I've described 99% of what "Bokura no Hentai" is. Honestly, I wish I could stop here. I wish I could just give it a big shining 10/10 and tell you it has earned its place among the masterpieces of our time.

SPOILERS

But, unfortunately, there's chapter 40. The chapter where Marika is having second thoughts about her identity. The chapter where she misgenders herself so that a group of irrelevant, anonymous cosplaying male students won't feel bad for not being as cute as she is. The chapter where essentially none of her friends tries to confront her about this attitude, in a way telling the readers that they too thought of her as a cute guy who crosses or, as the series tells us, a boy with a perversion. The chapter where she enters a crossdressing contest, even though from the first chapter of "Bokura no Hentai" she clearly, unapologetically states that she is not a crossdresser but a woman. The chapter where the mangaka managed, in just a few panels, to completely ruin every good thing had been done since the beginning of the story.

There are plenty of reasonable approaches one could take to justify this chapter. One could say Marika is still a teen, one who faced plenty of bullying that forced her in the closet. Perhaps the mangaka wanted to show us another issue transgender people face in our everyday lives (and doubt is undeniably one of them). Perhaps her friends didn't want to push her out of her doubts, perhaps they felt it was not their place to do so.

You know what? None of these excuses stands to scrutiny. First of all, the doubt/misgendering part came out of nowhere and felt completely out of character. Speaking strictly on technical writing grounds, it was the dumbest thing the mangaka could do at this point of the story. It'd be like having Tom Hanks in Philadelphia say something along the lines of "hey, am I really gay after all?" just a few minutes before the movie's ending. Yeah, it is that dumb.

Secondly, we never see Marika get over her self-doubt. Instead, we just get a "who cares?" attitude from the rest of the crowd, which I find outrageous for a story that did its best to convince us that this is an accepting, loving environment for Marika. What am I to make of this? That the ultra-supporting people who surrounded her simply thought of her as delusional? That for them cosplaying and being trans belong in the perversion category? Again, this is not what "Bokura no Hentai" showed us up until chapter 40. It's like the writer forgot about her own work and decided to do a fantasy (more like nightmare) version of this story.

Last, but not least, and this a completely subjective thought, it was not a necessity for "Bokura no Hentai" to deal with the issue of doubt. I am not the sort of reader that demands social justice to be the centerpiece of a given story. I can deal with very triggering and disturbing material. For example, I wouldn't care that much if this was a fantasy story where a character is trans but simply decides that it's all just a perversion or that they like to be bullied, etc. I may still dislike it but it'd be more forgivable.

"Bokura no Hentai", however, presents itself as a story that cares about such things, about the pains of real life human beings. And as such, it'd be dishonest on my part to ignore how much it failed to deliver here. Transgender people face doubt on every front of our daily lives. There's plenty of room to talk about that. But Marika's life was a best case scenario situation, quite possibly the most well present of its kind I've come across in any form of storytelling. It's one of the few times we got to see an optimistic view of a transgender life, where acceptance by one's self and the world rule the day. It's exactly because "Bokura no Hentai" gave me hope and joy that I cannot forgive this slip. Perhaps I'd be more indifferent to this part if I were not transgender myself, but honestly, I find this chapter to be indefensible.

SPOILERS END HERE

Despite the miserable failure that chapter 40 is, Bokura no Hentai remains an amazing manga, one of the best to deal with gender issues. If one ignores that one chapter, it's almost a masterpiece. It's just sad to look at it when I know that it was just one step away from perfection. Do I recommend reading it? Yes, I do. Just try not to get overexcited until you complete it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Neko Chi posted:

Hello people. I've been reading this series for quite some while and I wanted to post a review of it here. I am curious to know whether people agree or not with it.
<.>
But, unfortunately, there's chapter 40.

Nah, everyone agrees with it.

Miki
joined Jun 26, 2016

Neko Chi posted:

<.>
But, unfortunately, there's chapter 40.

Nah, everyone agrees with it.

Yeah, I saw the previous comments but I wanted to see if there were more people like transbikes that don't find it as offensive as you and I do.

Miki
joined Jun 26, 2016

Also (and sorry for the double post) I noticed something else. Read the last panel on the extra chapter, page 13 (11 on print)

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bokura_no_hentai_boku_tabun_hentai#13

Is it my idea or does the dialogue go like:

Marika: It's not like that.
Tamura: Oh? Deprecating yourself is actually annoying.
Ryousuke: What he means is that deliberately pointing that out isn't right.

If I've gotten the dialogue right. is Ryousuke referring to Marika by using "he"? Is this a translation error or should I feel ever more outraged about this title?

last edited at Jun 26, 2016 3:45PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Neko Chi posted:

Also (and sorry for the double post) I noticed something else. Read the last panel on the extra chapter, page 13 (11 on print)

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bokura_no_hentai_boku_tabun_hentai#13

Is it my idea or does the dialogue go like:

Marika: It's not like that.
Tamura: Oh? Deprecating yourself is actually annoying.
Ryousuke: What he means is that deliberately pointing that out isn't right.

If I've gotten the dialogue right. is Ryousuke referring to Marika by using "he"? Is this a translation error or should I feel ever more outraged about this title?

Would need to see raws, but could be just a typo. At first I assumed Ryousuke is explaining what Tamura meant, but now I realized it wouldn't make sense.

Miki
joined Jun 26, 2016

Is there any way to contact the scanlation team to make sure?

To reply you must either login or sign up.