Forum › Happy Late Valentine's Day discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's okay to have personal opinion regarding vol 3, but I saw people complaining about it since the very beginning, even about the opening saying "The absence of Monty is obvious" when it we were told that he gave instruction to keep ahead long ago so...I don't get it.
Please, don't discourage potential new fans into the series just because you didn't like the latest chapters, and less if you're most probably going to watch vol 4 too.

Rfrf
joined May 31, 2013

i gave up after four episodes of volume 3, but i still watched it to see more of my favorite character (weiss, even though her character is arguably the most butchered after vol. 1) and just so i can read fanfic here and there if there's nothing else to do. and reading the rwde tag on tumblr, that's always a lot of fun

it got kind of better in the later episodes, and i LOVED the dark turn of the show, but... everyone else didn't? if anything, it made the show worth while in my opinion.

regarding romance, they really should have left that out until WAAAY later on and let the fans do their shipping wars instead of queer-baiting everyone with false hope of yang and blake getting together (i don't even ship these two), then having sun show up... not cool rooster teeth... but what else do you expect when you have two grown guys writing the show about teenage girls. sigh.

seriously, can they just kill off jaune already?

last edited at May 8, 2016 8:37PM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Oooooooooooooh my heeeeart
I don't care how late this was, point is, it's here, and drawn and beautiful
One of the best whiterose stuff I've seen in a long time

Haha still can't believe i just started watching RWBY like 1-2 weeks ago 'cuz of them RubyxWeiss ADOORBZ pairing pics! But the last episode was kinda depressing again.... O_o

CUUUTE way to suffocate your lover! >///<

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

Welp you guys have broken me, I'll finally start rwby

yes welcome to the club fufufu

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

i gave up after four episodes of volume 3, but i still watched it to see more of my favorite character (weiss, even though her character is arguably the most butchered after vol. 1) and just so i can read fanfic here and there if there's nothing else to do. and reading the rwude tag on tumblr, that's always a lot of fun

it got kind of better in the later episodes, and i LOVED the dark turn of the show, but... everyone else didn't? if anything, it made the show worth while in my opinion.

regarding romance, they really should have left that out until WAAAY later on and let the fans do their shipping wars instead of queer-baiting everyone with false hope of yang and blake getting together (i don't even ship these two), then having sun show up... not cool rooster teeth... but what else do you expect when you have two grown guys writing the show about teenage girls. sigh.

seriously, can they just kill off jaune already?

^pssh tell me about it instead of jaune they killed the wrong person so mad T-T why did ...had to die why!!!! don't worry i won't spoil lol

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

yeah son now this is what i'm talking about what a great way to start my vacation

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

It's okay to have personal opinion regarding vol 3, but I saw people complaining about it since the very beginning, even about the opening saying "The absence of Monty is obvious" when it we were told that he gave instruction to keep ahead long ago so...I don't get it.

It's not about the dark turn or Monty left that causes people (or me in particular) to dislike vol.3, it's just that the show got bad.

It's how Ruby has plot armor and how everything is solved with deus ex machina. And they should have waited until the characters and their relationships are properly developed before throwing them on the line for cheap thrill. How could viewers truly worry for Penny or sympathize with Ruby losing her friend properly when all the time they see the two together are just, like, 3 scenes? Unless you are crazy for Penny like me, but that doesn't excuse the poor execution. They really rushed it and it turns sour.

Please, don't discourage potential new fans into the series just because you didn't like the latest chapters, and less if you're most probably going to watch vol 4 too.

I just spoke my opinions, ppl are cool enough to decide on their own. And what I said, sadly, is true about the show.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Just a heads up, Vol 1 was slow but it gets better on Vol 2 :)

And then Vol 3 sets everything on fire.

Damn you Vol. 3 >^<

I love Vol. 3 for that very reason.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

So the promise of two of the main cast being gay (most likely Blake and Yang) is being discarded huh? Figures.

Uh, not really. As of the end of Vol. 3 the fandom has declared Blake and Yang to be 95% canon.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

It's not about the dark turn or Monty left that causes people (or me in particular) to dislike vol.3, it's just that the show got bad.

It's how Ruby has plot armor and how everything is solved with deus ex machina. And they should have waited until the characters and their relationships are properly developed before throwing them on the line for cheap thrill. How could viewers truly worry for Penny or sympathize with Ruby losing her friend properly when all the time they see the two together are just, like, 3 scenes? Unless you are crazy for Penny like me, but that doesn't excuse the poor execution. They really rushed it and it turns sour.

I just spoke my opinions, ppl are cool enough to decide on their own. And what I said, sadly, is true about the show.

Considering what you just said boils down to "I liked Penny, she's dead, I'm mad and don't care anymore" I think its safe to say nothing you just said was true. You can have your opinion but don't go around acting like its absolute fact.

Glasses
joined Feb 21, 2015

So the promise of two of the main cast being gay (most likely Blake and Yang) is being discarded huh? Figures.

Uh, not really. As of the end of Vol. 3 the fandom has declared Blake and Yang to be 95% canon.

Wow really? Yang is my fav character(mostly cuz its barbXD) so thats cool. Makes me hope for Weiss and Ruby :'D can't help but see some hints during volume 3.

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

Considering what you just said boils down to "I liked Penny, she's dead, I'm mad and don't care anymore" I think its safe to say nothing you just said was true. You can have your opinion but don't go around acting like its absolute fact.

Nah, don't go guessing things just because I have Penny as my avatar and joked about it. Since you gave me motivation to talk some more about the show. Here you are.

It's a fact that Ruby didn't know how Neo's umbrella works. She just pushed a random button and it sent Neo flying, it could be the button that activates Neo's umbrella to shoot or stab her right in the face. Ruby got out of it because, well, luck (and plot armor).

It's a fact that there is no explanation to why Ruby knew the ship which Neo and Roman was in. She just went to that exact ship deliberately. And it was a jackpot, because luck \ (^o^) /

It's a fact that Ruby killed off a mighty Grimm with a kick strong enough to change its flying direction, when she was on air, with no stable stance.

It's a fact that Jame's military system is super easy to hack into, despite him trusting it so much.

It's a fact that Adam didn't slice Yang in half even though he could do so easily.

It's a fact that Adam's motivation went from revolution to torture Blake. What was he doing there with her when he should be out leading the White Fang?

It's a fact that Yang getting disarm didn't serve as her character development, or Blake's, but just so we can have lots and lots of puns.

It's a fact that Mercury showed himself in front of Ruby for no reason. Cinder doesn't even seem to care about Ruby, why did he do that is unexplained, it just happened.

None of the main characters get anywhere in vol.3. Yang still got her anger problem, Blake just got more mental torture and Weiss's problem is unresolved, Ruby don't even have a flaw. And the cliffhangers get really bad resolve in the form of deus ex mechina.

It's weird how you accused me of shitting on the show for petty reason like that. Since I no longer have any feels for RWBY and its characters. The execution got rushed, everything was convenient for the protag and it was trying to hard to dig out the feel from fans, even though it means risking logic and pacing.

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 1:51PM

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

It would be better if Weiss was shorter than her, but I love Kuma's style so no complaint.

joined Mar 25, 2013

The 'fandom' has declared 'canon'? Uh, okay.. You know what 'canon' means right? Has it happened in the show? I haven't watched it. If it has happened, then I apologize, but if not, the fandom can't declare anything that is not true 'canon'.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

Nah, don't go guessing things just because I have Penny as my avatar and joked about it. Since you gave me motivation to talk some more about the show. Here you are.

Well and you said you were absolutely crazy about Penny. Don't forget that.

It's a fact that Ruby didn't know how Neo's umbrella works. She just pushed a random button and it sent Neo flying, it could be the button that activates Neo's umbrella to shoot or stab her right in the face. Ruby got out of it because, well, luck (and plot armor).

...Its an umbrella. It isn't hard to figure out.

It's a fact that there is no explanation to why Ruby knew the ship which Neo and Roman was in. She just went to that exact ship deliberately. And it was a jackpot, because luck \ (^o^) /

There was literally one one military ship left cause Roman and Neo had destroyed all the others.

It's a fact that Ruby killed off a mighty Grimm with a kick strong enough to change its flying direction, when she was on air, with no stable stance.

Wait, so out of all the crazy shit on this show, thats what bugs you. Alright now I know your just nitpicking.

It's a fact that Jame's military system is super easy to hack into, despite him trusting it so much.

That's cause they didn't hack anything, they just boarded his ship and connected to an open terminal. I actually can't really blame you for this one cause thinking that taking over a computer requires "L33t Hakzor skillz" instead of just "find a PC that someone forgot to secure properly" is probably one the most common misconceptions about computing.

It's a fact that Adam didn't slice Yang in half even though he could do so easily.

He explicitly states he wants to torture her. Can't torture a dead girl.

It's a fact that Adam's motivation went from revolution to torture Blake. What was he doing there with her when he should be out leading the White Fang?

He was established from the moment he was introduced to be a fanatic and extremist. People like that don't let go easily. You leave or betray them, even for good reasons and they'll move hell and high water to come get you and hurt you.

It's a fact that Yang getting disarm didn't serve as her character development, or Blake's, but just so we can have lots and lots of puns.

It fits her character perfectly. She's a deconstruction of "manly aggressive" anime characters who charge in and attack people head on. What happened to her is simply what realistically would happen to someone who resolves every problem with "punching things". Sooner or later, you run into someone who you can't deal with by punching them, as seen when she gets framed by Cinder, Emerald and Mercury or when Adam mutilates her.
And what puns? The show never treats her wounds as anything less than serious. The puns I've heard have come from the fandom.

It's a fact that Mercury showed himself in front of Ruby for no reason. Cinder doesn't even seem to care about Ruby, why did he do that is unexplained, it just happened.

...Cause he's an narcissistic ASSHOLE. Well, that and with Cinder's plan already in motion, its not like Ruby could stop it.

None of the main characters get anywhere in vol.3. Yang still got her anger problem, Blake just got more mental torture and Weiss's problem is unresolved, Ruby don't even have a flaw. And the cliffhangers get really bad resolve in the form of deus ex mechina

Yang went from a proud, happy aggressive girl to basically a shell shocked war vet with PTSD, Weiss has continuously gotten less bitchy as the show has gone on to the point were she was willing to sacrifice herself to save Velvet. We also got to see her interact with her sister and after a fair bit of effort she finally managed to summon. Blake is still being all "Blakey", yes but now we now more about her past and also that she really does care about Yang. Like, a lot. And Ruby does have a flaw. She thinks she can save everyone. I'm just going to ignore your cliffhanger comment, as by definition cliffhangers don't resolve anything, so therefore your comment on "cliffhangers, bad resolve and deus ex machina" is irrelevant.

It's weird how you accused me of shitting on the show for petty reason like that. Since I no longer have any feels for RWBY and its characters. The execution got rushed, everything was convenient for the protag and it was trying to hard to dig out the feel from fans, even though it means risking logic and pacing.

You are shitting on this show for petty reasons, half the shit on this list is just pointless nitpicking.
Look RWBY is far from perfect but doesn't mean you get to go around being dick about. Don't spread your opinion like its absolute fact and don't try discourage people who take an interest in the show simply because somewhere along the lines you decided you didn't like it anymore.
Maybe you didn't like it when Penny dies or maybe you really are as nitpicky and irrational as this list or yours suggests. I really don't care either way. Just stop being such a dick about it. Just say you disagree with where the show is going and leave it at that.

And I know you disagree with the way the show is going but others may not and they may not be finished watching the show so spoiler tag you shit.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

The 'fandom' has declared 'canon'? Uh, okay.. You know what 'canon' means right? Has it happened in the show? I haven't watched it. If it has happened, then I apologize, but if not, the fandom can't declare anything that is not true 'canon'.

I know, I just mean there is a lot of subtext as of the last two episodes, enough that the fandom considers the pairing borderline canon.

last edited at Feb 21, 2016 4:40PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

I know, I just mean there is a lot of subtext as of the last two episodes, enough that the fandom considers the pairing borderline canon.

That's fine and all, but subtext is not the same as them actually showing them be together. Kind of like Korra, the end was subtext, but the creators made it canon after they confirmed it was to be viewed as the end is them getting together. Wasn't there also a love interest for Blake as well?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

All I can say at this point is that almost everyone involved has pretty much killed my curiosity about this series. Or at least it's way down the viewing list. Maybe eventually.

S
joined Dec 9, 2015

With season 3 just finishing, its a great time to start rwby sobs

I want more. But Weiss in the show is usually more flustered by Ruby, I can't see her in composure during these situations.

And I only read the last couple of posts while laughing a bit. My opinion that matters little is:

If you haven't seen it and want to: Its a fun, original, and very action-y show. The animation/pacing might be a bit iffy here and there but there's a story with a rich backstory. The backstory is harder to tell as compared to like, a book but they put most of it on optional episodes to maybe prevent taking up time in the main story. By backstory I mean they're creating a whole new world. Its not any current country or even Earth as we know it. And the main story gets serious overtime...in for the long haul.The characters are likable/annoying (maybe) depending on the viewer but the voice actors/actress are lively and the music is great. Like every series though, the fandom can get crazy with how certain things are and anti...anti-fans? will probably firstly say "its not anime" or its an "anime wannabe" or w/e. If you've like...probably not even 8 hours to watch 3 seasons + backstory/history/trailers then you're all caught up.

It can't be stressed enough:
- All the characters grow as events occur but its a bit harder to show in 5-15min episodes though so bear with it. It
- I think it could be sped up if RT was a big company that could create it quickly in-house or get it produced elsewhere but it isn't? So it takes time.
- Each episode is 5-15min long not including OP/ED. It doesn't get the anime treatment of 25min nor a live action of 30-50min.
- Monty Oum, the creator/visionary died but he had outlines for several future seasons (or so I heard) so most things happen on purpose.
- Its not 2d animation. Its like.. 2.5 or 3d or w/e.
- Its 5-15min an episode.
- Its an adventure! And I'll paraphrase Rick and Morty here...adventures have conflict! It can be simple and fun but most of the time, it isn't simple.
- Maybe its not your "thing" at the moment but hopefully you'll give it another chance in the future.

If you have seen it up to the end of season 3: Good for you! Well, if you disliked it then okay. If you're upset about something then Go find like minded people and complain about it there and/or stop watching it. Don't ruin the show for others. This isn't a cartoon (by my definition). It isn't cute happy go-lucky all the time. I mean, I didn't expect this much conflict so...early on (its hard to gauge since each season is short length wise but takes a year to make) but I like the series as a whole (My favorite character died. Like shot in the heart and de-materialized died. Not cut up and can be rebuilt died. Not disappear died. D-E-A-D. So fanbased-theory hope aside...).

last edited at Feb 21, 2016 11:17PM

Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

I see no chance for this ship to be canon. YET I'M HERE!! STILL SHIPPING IT SO HARD.

For every single person who complain about the 3rd volume, oh please, everything has been planned since the very beginning. Monty was the one planning it, and the current directors were trying to make it as how Monty wanted. Respect Monty and his wishes. If you don't like it then leave, there's no need to badmouth it or even persuade people not to watch it. So far, i love this series, the story has gradually become more amazing. It's not perfect of course, but it's not as bad as the haters say. I say even the 3rd volume which make me decide to stay.

joined Mar 25, 2013

People are entitled to say they don't like it, if you throw around the word 'haters' then you are 'fanboys' so really. Let the people say what they wanna say, and if you don't want a continuation of 'haters hating' then just don't respond to them. As for this is what Monty wanted, how do you know that? Because the RT team said so? Did they post the scripts and stuff? Yeah, I know it's a little far-fetched, but you really don't know if it's what Monty would've wanted.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

telamon posted:

People are entitled to say they don't like it, if you throw around the word 'haters' then you are 'fanboys' so really. Let the people say what they wanna say, and if you don't want a continuation of 'haters hating' then just don't respond to them. As for this is what Monty wanted, how do you know that? Because the RT team said so? Did they post the scripts and stuff? Yeah, I know it's a little far-fetched, but you really don't know if it's what Monty would've wanted.

Then we're entitled to defend it as we please right? you know... because we're "fanboys" anyway, this has become a pretty silly discussion, this isn't even the manga or animation is just a cute comic and I won't try to convince you or even quote you about how RT took the series from Monty and did whatever they wanted in a rush because come on... You didn't even watch it but here you're like a lawyer, like you really care.

Anyway, for people out there with doubts about the show (because, yeah the fandom can make you step backs from shows like this or steve universe and many others), just try the first season they're short episodes so there's nothing to lose

Tumblr_npkmdbqiwy1s7m7t3o1_1280
joined Jul 21, 2013

All I can say at this point is that almost everyone involved has pretty much killed my curiosity about this series. Or at least it's way down the viewing list. Maybe eventually.

RIP, it's a pretty good show, such a shame... Being butchered too heavily on this discussion. With the lack of spoiler tags too X(

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 10:08AM

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

Well and you said you were absolutely crazy about Penny. Don't forget that.

Hey, that's the joke =))) The sentence means that the only way someone can feel for Penny is if they like her just because a dumb one liner, which is why I like her, which is dumb. I guess it's my bad since the joke was too personal. Well joke on me then.

Let me make it clear, I don't care for Penny's death enough to shit on a show. I'm not that irrational. I was just pointing out the plot holes in the show. So it would be nice if we don't get personal and just regard each other's opinion as it is.

...Its an umbrella. It isn't hard to figure out.

You didn't really explain anything here. This umbrella is also Neo's weapon, which we saw in last ss how dangerous it can be. Ruby still use her guess, and Neo lost. One of the cliffhangers last ep built up was destroyed by a ridiculous resolve.

There was literally one one military ship left cause Roman and Neo had destroyed all the others.

No, there was the White Fang's ship too.

It's a fact that Ruby== killed off a mighty Grimm with a kick strong enough to change its flying direction, when she was on air, with no stable stance.==

Wait, so out of all the crazy shit on this show, thats what bugs you. Alright now I know your just nitpicking.

Excusing a flaw by saying the show is crazy isn't valid, because up until that point the show was very carefull with its action scenes. The characters always have proper stance to use forces and the impact they leave are logical. RWBY's charm is its action, so when an action scene with the cost of Ruby's life on the line was played out that badly, I have reason to be disappointed.

That's cause they didn't hack anything, they just boarded his ship and connected to an open terminal. I actually can't really blame you for this one cause thinking that taking over a computer requires "L33t Hakzor skillz" instead of just "find a PC that someone forgot to secure properly" is probably one the most common misconceptions about computing.

The computer would have a protection program, like most did. They would have to break through it. And since it's from the military, someone forgeting to secure the system, risking the robot going off killing people is unlikely. Cinder even had control over all of the news system. It's really convenient for the villains.

He explicitly states he wants to torture her. Can't torture a dead girl.

He said he wanted to destroyed everything Blake loved, starting with Yang. He said destroyed Yang, not tortured her.

He was established from the moment he was introduced to be a fanatic and extremist. People like that don't let go easily. You leave or betray them, even for good reasons and they'll move hell and high water to come get you and hurt you.

No, he wasn't established like that. He barely said anything that clearly show his personality (beside hating humans and crazy about revolution) up until the time he met Blake. Last time we saw him, he didn't seem that crazy about Blake when he tell his goons to "Forget it" and putting his revolution plan on first.

It fits her character perfectly. She's a deconstruction of "manly aggressive" anime characters who charge in and attack people head on. What happened to her is simply what realistically would happen to someone who resolves every problem with "punching things". Sooner or later, you run into someone who you can't deal with by punching them, as seen when she gets framed by Cinder, Emerald and Mercury or when Adam mutilates her.
And what puns? The show never treats her wounds as anything less than serious. The puns I've heard have come from the fandom.

It isn't a deconstruction. What Yang did was trying to protect her friend, it's perfectly reasonable for her to barge in since she didn't know how strong Adam was and was really worried about Blake. The show can't cut off her arm because she did the right thing. It would be a deconstruction if Yang did something wrong by rushing into it without thinking. But as you can see, it wasn't, so the suffering Yang get was unreasonable for her, and didn't serve any purpose beside feels for fans.

The puns part was a joke about the fandom overflowing with arms puns.

...Cause he's an narcissistic ASSHOLE. Well, that and with Cinder's plan already in motion, its not like Ruby could stop it.

He was ordered by Cinder herself to stay low, and he resisted the order (which is out of character for him) just to scare Ruby and then did nothing to her when she was completely defenseless in front of him. He just left her there and went away. Why he showed up, risking Cinder's anger? No explanation.

None of the main characters get anywhere in vol.3. Yang still got her anger problem, Blake just got more mental torture and Weiss's problem is unresolved, Ruby don't even have a flaw. And the cliffhangers get really bad resolve in the form of deus ex mechina

Yang went from a proud, happy aggressive girl to basically a shell shocked war vet with PTSD, Weiss has continuously gotten less bitchy as the show has gone on to the point were she was willing to sacrifice herself to save Velvet. We also got to see her interact with her sister and after a fair bit of effort she finally managed to summon. Blake is still being all "Blakey", yes but now we now more about her past and also that she really does care about Yang. Like, a lot. And Ruby does have a flaw. She thinks she can save everyone. I'm just going to ignore your cliffhanger comment, as by definition cliffhangers don't resolve anything, so therefore your comment on "cliffhangers, bad resolve and deus ex machina" is irrelevant.

Becoming sadder isn't a character development, Yang didn't learn about thinking up ahead.

Weiss's problem in my book is her insecurity and her pride getting over her decisions (which the show didn't really touch in vol3). Being bitchy wasn't really her problem, but more like her gimmick. She just got new problem about summoning stuff. Nonetheless, I should have gave more details about Weiss here. If her summoning was her problem to you, then Weiss is ok. But since I liked RWBY, I expected more.

Blake's past in vol3 was all we have already know, she's with the White Fang, did missions with Adam, etc. Her caring about Yang isn't a character development though, it's not about her personality, it's about the shipping.

On Ruby's case, saving everyone is a good belief and can't be considered a flaw. It's a heroic trait. Unless she is acting all crazy about saving people, even if they don't need her help or something.

Cliffhangers are thrilling situations happening when the ep end. What I meant is that the cliffhangers at the end of an episode didn't get good resolves. The dangerous situations were solved by deus ex machina.

You are shitting on this show for petty reasons, half the shit on this list is just pointless nitpicking.
Look RWBY is far from perfect but doesn't mean you get to go around being dick about. Don't spread your opinion like its absolute fact and don't try discourage people who take an interest in the show simply because somewhere along the lines you decided you didn't like it anymore.
Maybe you didn't like it when Penny dies or maybe you really are as nitpicky and irrational as this list or yours suggests. I really don't care either way. Just stop being such a dick about it. Just say you disagree with where the show is going and leave it at that.

And I know you disagree with the way the show is going but others may not and they may not be finished watching the show so spoiler tag you shit.

Yeah, it's my fault for forgetting the spoiler, I'll go fix that up. I thought disarm can cover the spoiler since noone outside the fandom can really know what it means.

And I don't see what is the problem with warning people about what they would get out of this show, my list is backed with the scenes from the show. It's what happened on the screen.

My words are by no means full of rage. They are perfectly thoughtout and rational. Why I even listed all this was because you told me that I "liked Penny, she's dead, I'm mad and don't care anymore" and therefore nothing I said was true. I wanted to prove that I'm a rational person and should clarify why I said that, then I listed the flaws.

I see that you insulted me a lot. I don't insult you one bit, you know.

Anyway, I think I won't ever comment on this again. I have said all I need to say. This will be considered spam eventually so whatever is ok.

By the way, you are wrong all along because my one true love is Cinder Fall, the one and only. And I ship her with Penny (^o^)/

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 1:57PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.