Forum › Stretch discussion

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Thank you, neversung. I must have Pollyanna goggles as well as yuri goggles. Honestly, I bet the "revenge for the plagiarism on all manga-dom" theory is true. We all have Shouholm Syndrome.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Honestly, I bet the "revenge for the plagiarism on all manga-dom" theory is true.

unless it's about grown men fucking lolis
Maybe we should just give in?

last edited at Jan 6, 2016 1:13PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Honestly, I bet the "revenge for the plagiarism on all manga-dom" theory is true.

1. He fucked up.
  2. He faced the consequences for fucking up.
  3. He was given another chance after fucking up.
  4. Said chance was well received.

Yup, a lot to get revenge for there.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

This Shou revenge bullshit is starting to get annoying, he's the one who fucked up, someone would have noticed sooner or later, it being discovered by yuri fan was just a coincidence, it's stupid to expect he would make an entire manga for revenge or trolling on a minority that is not even his main audience, he didn't made Prism and Stretch for us, he made because he wanted to, you guys are giving too much importance to yuri fandom, just because we're the main consumers of yuri that doesn't mean all yuri is made specifically for us, it's not all about us.

last edited at Jan 6, 2016 2:45PM

princeinquisitor
joined Oct 28, 2014

I agree with the previous two, Shou is not revenge on anyone, that's just the way he decided to finish Stretch, but it seems that it is customary in this forum crucifying an author for not giving what people wanted.

Now a few facts.

First of all, at no time I was mentioned officially that this series was yuri or Girls Love or nothing like that, simply described as a series that was about stretching and two girls living together, nothing more.

Second, Yawaspy is simply a seinen magazine and I know so far they have never published yuri or something like that. Prism on the other hand was published in Tsubomi, a magazine dedicated to yuri

Third, the way Shou ended Stretch is nothing new. In Gift, the first series of Shou, the main couple is separated at the end because the girl went to study abroad, besides that both series have similar style epilogues.

Fourth, if someone followed the rankings of the series in Yawaspy you may have noticed that most of the time Stretch occupied the first place and this implies that the series was well received.

Fifth, so I can understand it seems that the end of Stretch was received in a good way, based on the comments section of Stretch in Yawaspy or in some reviews.

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

I would just like to go on record as saying I never supported the "revenge" theory. I'm just here for the yuri and I like Shou's work. ._.

joined Jan 12, 2016

Pls tag tragedy.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Why are people still so angry with Shou? It's never tagged as yuri. It's our fault for keeping our hopes up and biting our own bait lol.

I'm just mad at myself for hoping throughout this series. Womance... WHAT?

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Why are people still so angry with Shou? It's never tagged as yuri. It's our fault for keeping our hopes up and biting our own bait lol.

I'm just mad at myself for hoping throughout this series. Womance... WHAT?

Why not? It was a bad ending, yuri or not yuri.

He never finished Prism, he didn't make Prism yuri, of course that I would not be happy with Shou.
At least I know to not bother anymore with series made by him.

joined Jan 8, 2016

I am pretty fucking sure that the revenge theory was tongue in cheek under the ones that first came up with it.

Seriously...? Revenge...? Teasing? More likely.

joined Feb 15, 2013

In another manga, there was a character who after sexually teased her ex-partner to the point of extremely arousal, then just leave said ex-partner on hang while she goes around to fool with another girl. It was done just so she can enjoy seeing the ex-partner all frustrated but unable to do anything about that.

DS community immediately described the former as a 'cruel bitch', 'f*cked up c*nt' or 'messed up nutjob'.

That is you, Show. That is exactly you.

last edited at Jan 15, 2016 10:34AM

joined Dec 8, 2013

In another manga, there was a character who after sexually teased her ex-partner to the point of extremely arousal, then just leave said ex-partner on hang while she goes around to fool with another girl. It was done just so she can enjoy seeing the ex-partner all frustrated but unable to do anything about that.

DS community immediately described the former as a 'cruel bitch', 'f*cked up c*nt' or 'messed up nutjob'.

Yo, can i get a link to the manga, or a name? thanks. <3

he didn't make Prism yuri

Prism was definitely yuri, rincewind. Even better, it dealt with realistic issues, and even ended (was cancelled) on a hopeful note. Knowing Shou, based on all his other works, if Prism continued, the couple would have ended up splitting apart due to geographical distance. It's his go-to ending.

last edited at Jan 15, 2016 9:38PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I think they meant this.

joined Dec 8, 2013

I think they meant this.

Thanks! I've been waiting until it was complete before I started reading it.

joined Aug 4, 2014

Cardinal rule: you don't toy with your audience's expectations. You either deliver or not. Nobody will convince me that continuous build up for Ran x Keiko was completely unintentional and it's all in my head. That was a pretty sly trick to gather attention of yuri audience and judging by this title's popularity here it succeeded. I mean bussiness is bussiness but it's still kinda assholish.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Actually, Show promised a slice of life manga with roommates stretching. He delivered a slice of life manga with roommates stretching (one that was going pretty well until he fucked up the pace at the end). No yuri was promised, Stretch wasn't ever tagged as yuri (or even subtext) here. I don't understand why people can't let go about that...

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Miharu posted:

Cardinal rule: you don't toy with your audience's expectations. You either deliver or not. Nobody will convince me that continuous build up for Ran x Keiko was completely unintentional and it's all in my head. That was a pretty sly trick to gather attention of yuri audience and judging by this title's popularity here it succeeded. I mean bussiness is bussiness but it's still kinda assholish.

Except for the fact that yuri fandom was never the main audience so your "rule" is useless, all the build up it had was that Ran was in love with Keiko, from the start this was never made for yuri fans because of the simple fact that it was published in a seinen magazine as slice of life and they never promoted it as yuri either, if anything some yuri fans are the ones being assholes here because they're all butthurt for expecting something that was never promised and they're putting all the blame on Shou when it's all their fault for forcing their expectations on the manga.

none posted:

Actually, Show promised a slice of life manga with roommates stretching. He delivered a slice of life manga with roommates stretching (one that was going pretty well until he fucked up the pace at the end). No yuri was promised, Stretch wasn't ever tagged as yuri (or even subtext) here. I don't understand why people can't let go about that...

Because some yuri fans think that anything with a little subtext or with lesbian character is made for them when it's pretty much always the opposite, it's easier for them to blame the mangaka instead of admitting they were wrong from the beginning.

last edited at Jan 15, 2016 10:06PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Queer baiting is a thing though

joined Aug 4, 2014

Miharu posted:

Except for the fact that yuri fandom was never the main audience so your "rule" is useless, all the build up it had was that Ran was in love with Keiko, from the start this was never made for yuri fans because of the simple fact that it was published in a seinen magazine as slice of life and they never promoted it as yuri either, if anything some yuri fans are the ones being assholes here because they're all butthurt for expecting something that was never promised and they're putting all the blame on Shou when it's all their fault for forcing their expectations on the manga.

Like I like to say: don't you even start, if you're not planning to finish. What was even the point of this build up? Should just make Ran confess and get rejected, end of the story. Higayashima played on Prism's popularity and that's the fact.

joined Aug 10, 2015

I reaaally didn't realize people were still upset about this manga? The emotional investment is real.

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Queer baiting is a thing though

True, but it's not the case here, it was always pretty subtle that Ran liked Keiko and that Keiko never showed the same attraction, if he wanted to bait he would be way more obvious, yuri fans saw only what they wanted instead of what it really was and that's why they got disappointed.

Miharu posted:

Like I like to say: don't you even start, if you're not planning to finish. What was even the point of this build up? Should just make Ran confess and get rejected, end of the story. Higayashima played on Prism's popularity and that's the fact.

What you say is irrelevant, writers start and finish whatever they want, your opinion don't matter for that, there was nothing to be finished too because this was never a love story between them, Ran love was always one-sided, Keiko was played as straight from the start so it was obvious Ran would be rejected, if you don't like it that's your problem, and your so called fact that he used Prism popularity is not a fact at all because again from the start it was promoted as slice of life about stretching in a seinen magazine, we don't see any mention of prism in raw chapters when they were published online because that was completely irrelevant, unlike western fans the japanese fans know that if it's not published in magazine of that genre then it's not going to be that genre, not to mention that above all Shou is a hentai lolicon mangaka not a yuri mangaka, you say Prims was so popular but you're talking from western fans perspective, if you really think he needed to use Prism popularity then you don't know how those magazines work, if Stretch was not popular by itself it would never get this far and become four volumes, a few chapters of a cancelled yuri manga would never take him this far.

Nezchan, maybe you should put a stop to this? Because this is not a discussion thread anymore, it basically became a thread to complain about Shou and make up lots of lies to put all the blame on him instead of facing the truth that people expected something that was never going to happen.

last edited at Jan 15, 2016 10:45PM

joined Aug 4, 2014

Miharu posted:

What you say is irrelevant, writers start and finish whatever they want, your opinion don't matter for that, there was nothing to be finished too because this was never a love story between them, Ran love was always one-sided, Keiko was played as straight from the start so it was obvious Ran would be rejected, if you don't like it that's your problem, and your so called fact that he used Prism popularity is not a fact at all because again from the start it was promoted as slice of life about stretching in a seinen magazine, we don't see any mention of prism in raw chapters when they were published online because that was completely irrelevant, unlike western fans the japanese fans know that if it's not published in magazine of that genre then it's not going to be that genre, not to mention that above all Shou is a hentai lolicon mangaka not a yuri mangaka, you say Prims was so popular but you're talking from western fans perspective, if you really think he needed to use Prism popularity then you don't know how those magazines work, if it was not popular by itself it would never get this far and become four volumes, a few chapters of a cancelled yuri manga would never take him this far.

Nezchan, maybe you should put a stop to this? Because this is not a discussion thread anymore, it basically became a thread to complain about Shou and make up lots of lies to put all the blame on him instead of facing the truth that people expected something that was never going to happen.

Oh, writers start and finish whatever they want? So I can judge their efforts however I want, duh. Signalizing sub-plot and not pulling it out is always bad writing, no matter genre. So how about you don't fucking undermine my opinion by saying how "irrelevant" it is and how it "don't matter for that", huh? It happens that I'm a part of an audience AND potential customer so my opinion IS valuable even if I don't have slanted eyes. I said I see yuri hints, apparently I am not the only one and I know exactly their purpose. I'm not gonna throw rocks at anybody because of that but I can call it cynical play on audience's expectations. If you don't like it, well, I guess that's your problem.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Isn't this a case of people expecting something that Shou didn't promise? I agree the ending was unsatisfying, but not because of the lack of yuri. It was clear practically from the start he wouldn't do anything overt, and it wasn't published in a yuri magazine in the first place.

This is one big case of fan entitlement, and crying because your fantasies weren't fulfilled by someone who never said they would in the first place.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Much as I hate to do this, T-sama actually has the right idea. I'm cutting off the bullshit "Shou hates us, Shou is getting revenge, Shou is deliberately queer-baiting, etc." from here forward, and the same applies to people beating on those saying that stuff.

Like usual, y'all started this shit, but I'm finishin' it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

Isn't this a case of people expecting something that Shou didn't promise? I agree the ending was unsatisfying, but not because of the lack of yuri. It was clear practically from the start he wouldn't do anything overt, and it wasn't published in a yuri magazine in the first place.

This is one big case of fan entitlement, and crying because your fantasies weren't fulfilled by someone who never said they would in the first place.

I was personally just a bit disappointed that there was no yuri developments but that's not where any of my criticisms stem from at all. Even without yuri the story was still rather interesting up until those last several chapters which were just not very good at all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.