Forum › The Real Her discussion

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I wonder what kind of contract mangakas sign with publishing houses.
When the magazines just disappear because are considered not profitable enough, do they keep the manga's intellectual property rights?
So the mangaka cannot even continue publishing the rest of the story elsewhere?

That may be the case. When Morinaga Milk left Yuri Hime (I don't know why she left), she wasn't able to finish Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink until Comic High bought the rights to it from Yuri Hime.

last edited at Dec 29, 2014 9:59PM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

When the magazines just disappear because are considered not profitable enough, do they keep the manga's intellectual property rights?

The copyright model in Japan appears to be different; I don't know the details, but it does not appear that publishing houses take on characters and settings as their own IPs. They seem to just have publication rights to individual chapters.

Regarding Hirari (and this conversation should probably be in the Hirari thread), on the one hand you have at least one artist who was able to jump ship: Miman got her collected works in Hirari published by Yuri Hime Comics (an Ichijinsha imprint), and even had one of her Hirari chapters reprinted in a recent issue of YH. On the other hand, you have at least one artist who's just continued to release her series on her own: Takashima Hiromi has gone on to release Kase-san online, and Shinshokan (Hirari's parent company) still plans to release a third tank for that.

Incidentally, the Real Her also has a planned tank release in 2015 with Shinshoka, and with luck that will include a fair bit of extra content.

Also, why oh why is Yuri Hime the only yuri magazine that can stay afloat?

One word: Citrus

Two words: Yuru Yuri. I'm sure Citrus is doing quite well for itself, but even if you combine that and the other 2nd-tier series YH has (Yuri Danshi), I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue they bring in more revenue than yuri's ultimate cash cow.

I wonder about that. I suspect Yuri-Hime stays afloat because it has a built-in readership base, and that new publications fold because people who read yuri are already all buying Yuri-Hime and not enough of them can be enticed into buying multiple publications. Yuru-Yuri may be an important part of that, but I haven't been paying any attention to any of the popularity surveys or tank sales.

(Incidentally, I do hope that everyone who is bemoaning the collapse of yuri publications has been doing their best to support those publications by at least buying their tanks).

Edit:

That may be the case. When Morinaga Milk left Yuri Hime (I don't know why she left), she wasn't able to finish Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink until Comic High bought the rights to it from Yuri Hime.

That's interesting. I'd be curious to know why she left...

last edited at Dec 29, 2014 10:11PM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Two words: Yuru Yuri. I'm sure Citrus is doing quite well for itself, but even if you combine that and the other 2nd-tier series YH has (Yuri Danshi), I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue they bring in more revenue than yuri's ultimate cash cow.

I keep forgetting that Yuru Yuri is a yuri manga... Tend to look at it as just comedy since yuri-wise it is sadly not going anywhere =/

It has yuri as a part of it but it's way more comedy than it is yuri. Not that I'm complaining, I love me some good comedy. That and like Cyfer said I think community keeps it upright more than anything else.

But there's been a steady but significant increase in yuri in all parts of media since Sakura Trick aired...not sure if coincidence or not, but one way or another loads of people are starting to hop on the yuri bandwagon and I suspect any new magazine collections that crop up in the next couple years will fair far better than most others have in the past.

I think Hirari just bit off more than it could chew. Lots of well-established names in yuri together in a magazine that couldn't sell well enough to make payroll. It happens. Probably doesn't help the world economic implosion that happened a few years back.

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

can I eat now?

such inu.

joined Apr 19, 2013

I really want to know what Moe's dad looks like lol

AquarianDemocrat
Retry
joined Jan 23, 2012

The copyright model in Japan appears to be different; I don't know the details, but it does not appear that publishing houses take on characters and settings as their own IPs. They seem to just have publication rights to individual chapters.

Regarding Hirari (and this conversation should probably be in the Hirari thread), on the one hand you have at least one artist who was able to jump ship: Miman got her collected works in Hirari published by Yuri Hime Comics (an Ichijinsha imprint), and even had one of her Hirari chapters reprinted in a recent issue of YH. On the other hand, you have at least one artist who's just continued to release her series on her own: Takashima Hiromi has gone on to release Kase-san online, and Shinshokan (Hirari's parent company) still plans to release a third tank for that.

Incidentally, the Real Her also has a planned tank release in 2015 with Shinshoka, and with luck that will include a fair bit of extra content.

Also, why oh why is Yuri Hime the only yuri magazine that can stay afloat?

One word: Citrus

I wonder about that. I suspect Yuri-Hime stays afloat because it has a built-in readership base, and that new publications fold because people who read yuri are already all buying Yuri-Hime and not enough of them can be enticed into buying multiple publications. Yuru-Yuri may be an important part of that, but I haven't been paying any attention to any of the popularity surveys or tank sales.

(Incidentally, I do hope that everyone who is bemoaning the collapse of yuri publications has been doing their best to support those publications by at least buying their tanks).

Edit:

That's interesting. I'd be curious to know why she left...

I buy as much as I can afford in english-language tanks (not just Yuri... sadly not much Yuri has been published here in the USA...) but I don't know how big of a cut gets back to the magazine, let alone the mangaka.

As to Morinaga Milk, why do mangakas ever leave? She probably was unhappy with her cut or with editroial decisions (I'm more inclined to think it was the former, because knowing Morinaga Milk and knowing Yuri Hime there probably wasn't much conflict on the latter front.)

last edited at Dec 31, 2014 1:26PM

Ai,yo
joined Dec 24, 2014

Wow, The real Her, such a perfect gift!
Happy new Year to everyone!

joined Oct 12, 2013

Any news about the tank for this?

Arttumbsicon
joined Feb 10, 2015

This manga gives me life. Like I am both Moe and Yuuka depending on who I'm around. Probably more like Moe though. They are both so cute!

Sticker,375x360-9
joined Jun 21, 2013

I REALLY LOVE THIS SERIES, such cute masochist!!! i really into soft sm play, anyone know similar manga?

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

how many chapters have been already released in jp? or did it end at 11th?

Well baka-updates manga says it's not completely scanlated, so other chapters are released in Japan.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Aw, I want the rest. I like the dynamic between the two.

Yuuna
joined Jan 4, 2015

Are there anymore chapters? Where can i read the raw, if there are more?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Looks like Ch 12 is in QC right now over at Yuri Project so it should be uploaded here soon.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm cat person, but man, those bunny pajamas just look soooooooo cute I can't stand it and want one right now >///<

"What I don't want to know about her... I really... don't want to know!"

I think that quote sums that series pretty well xD

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

aw yiss

Hitoribocchi(3)
joined Jan 17, 2015

Just one more chapter and it's over. Why this great manga only have 13 chapters, WHY?

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

It's back! Hooray for all of this domestic fluff!

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Moe's butt sparkling made me laugh the hardest. xD

I missed this manga.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

Woke up way too early, was miserable, then saw there was an update.

I don't think I've ever experienced a mood swing that strong.

Obnoxious%20vi
joined May 27, 2015

That was definitely sluggifying.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

Woke up way too early, was miserable, then saw there was an update.

I don't think I've ever experienced a mood swing that strong.

my thoughts exactly!

Fc,550x550,white
joined Feb 22, 2015

I love this manga it never fails to make me smile, can't wait for more

21294649_1973051396268417_6602197588240236544_n
joined Jun 7, 2015

Can't stop laughing at the end of chapter! xD

Nozoav
joined Feb 28, 2015

This manga is pretty much perfect

To reply you must either login or sign up.