Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

joined Sep 27, 2014

I had gyaru and ganguro mixed up for some reason, but now her characterization makes a lot more sense.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

You say it's just not possible to use the word "Gal" in this instance because the meaning is different in Japanese, but I don't buy that. You're already using a translator's note to explain the made-up word "gyaru". How is that any different than using a translator's note to explain the use of "Gal"? "*In this instance the English word 'gal' means..." etc etc. Not only are you more faithful to the text but you've also educated your readership, not all of whom will know that gyaru is a transliteration of gal.

I disagree with you entirely. You would have a point but there's a distinction to be made still. For someone who already knows the word "gal" in English they have to add a completely new definition to it meaning they'll more easily get mixed up when coming across the word since they'll have to figure out which definition to use. "Gyaru" on the other hand is not a word an English speaker is going to come across anywhere with a definition other than the one given in the translator note. Since they'll only be required to remember one definition for the word (as well as the word itself, but that's not all that difficult) it'll be easier for them to figure out what is actually meant.

I think it's kinda like how officially translated works tend to lose honorifics and try to use more natural English speech. It may be more accurate on a technical level but all it serves to do is make things more ambiguous for the reader since they can't easily tell just how close any two characters are now. (Honorifics of course being an extreme example of the point I'm trying to make but it's the same basic idea regardless.)

Chiaki
joined May 14, 2015

Morinaga blesses us mortals again.

Img_3902
joined Apr 18, 2013

so what happened to that other morinaga manga with that school girl cop?

Heard the second volume was licensed.

It was. Both are available in English now though. I bought both at Barnes amd Noble :)

Img_3902
joined Apr 18, 2013

is this mari's and akko's new reincarnation? :P

I sure hope not. Mari and Akko had better be living together in a huge mansion now with 2 adopted or science babies.

+1 Because this couldnt be truer

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

You say it's just not possible to use the word "Gal" in this instance because the meaning is different in Japanese, but I don't buy that. You're already using a translator's note to explain the made-up word "gyaru". How is that any different than using a translator's note to explain the use of "Gal"? "*In this instance the English word 'gal' means..." etc etc. Not only are you more faithful to the text but you've also educated your readership, not all of whom will know that gyaru is a transliteration of gal.

I disagree with you entirely. You would have a point but there's a distinction to be made still. For someone who already knows the word "gal" in English they have to add a completely new definition to it meaning they'll more easily get mixed up when coming across the word since they'll have to figure out which definition to use. "Gyaru" on the other hand is not a word an English speaker is going to come across anywhere with a definition other than the one given in the translator note. Since they'll only be required to remember one definition for the word (as well as the word itself, but that's not all that difficult) it'll be easier for them to figure out what is actually meant.

I think it's kinda like how officially translated works tend to lose honorifics and try to use more natural English speech. It may be more accurate on a technical level but all it serves to do is make things more ambiguous for the reader since they can't easily tell just how close any two characters are now. (Honorifics of course being an extreme example of the point I'm trying to make but it's the same basic idea regardless.)

I've been vacillating over this much of the day. But in the end, as Alice Cheshire points out, just because it's the way some official translation are doesn't necessarily mean it's the way to go. And so I've finally decided to leave it as it is, and continue using gyaru when in shows up in future chapters. After all, gyaru is already in common usage in many places, along with gal and kogal. Sorry I took so long to figure that out.

1a%20berserk%20jill
joined Aug 5, 2014
KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Morinaga Milk-sensei is back!!!!!! -pumped-

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Pretty cute. As long this doesn't has the pacing issued from Gakuen Polize or Secret Recipe I think is gonna be great

Fix_it_by_samanthadoodles
joined Jun 7, 2015

Morinaga Milk is back <3

last edited at Jul 3, 2015 8:11PM

joined Mar 30, 2012

No watches? I mean, as long as it's not a rolex or gold or some shocking pink plastic watch, it should be fine right? Then again, being Japan, they probably have clocks everywhere already.

Anyways, yay for more Morinaga.

Mig
joined Jun 25, 2015

Morinaga is the best.

Untitled
joined Aug 14, 2014

BRUH. Morinaga Milk's new series. Yeesss

[steam]yunocchi13
joined Apr 20, 2015

You can really tell how much Morinaga loved the look of Mari. A lot of the characters in her books look quite similar to her.
In fact, she's pretty much become something of an archetype.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

I'm getting some good vibes from this series. Apparently Gakuen Polizi wasn't as good as her normal works, so I was a bit worried that this series wouldn't catch my interest. It totally did though. Hopefully it sparks enough popularity among fans so it can see a publication from Seven Seas once it ends. With how popular Morinaga Milk is, I can't imagine her series will be in danger of getting cancelled. Either way, if scanlating goes well, maybe we'll get another awesome experience like Girl Friends. Waiting for scanlations to come out is a new experience for me seeing how relatively new I am to yuri and I'm rather looking forward to checking in week to week.

last edited at Jul 10, 2015 11:47AM

Image(098)
joined Jul 16, 2015

This is quite basic,but It Works as hell.

Morinaga's best work is when she sticks to the basics. Girl meets girl. They fall in love. Girl Friends and Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink are, to me, her best work and they're the most grounded of her stories. Hopefully this will have a similarly organic relationship.

They're both decent, but c'mon, Mare was her masterpiece.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

This is quite basic,but It Works as hell.

Morinaga's best work is when she sticks to the basics. Girl meets girl. They fall in love. Girl Friends and Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink are, to me, her best work and they're the most grounded of her stories. Hopefully this will have a similarly organic relationship.

They're both decent, but c'mon, Mare was her masterpiece.

I actually liked Mare. Not as fetish fap material, but adult story with sex and gore. I wouldn't call it masterpiece, but if you focus on plot instead of sex scenes, story was pretty good, similar to Elfen Lied (anime, manga sucks).

last edited at Jul 16, 2015 3:47PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I actually liked Mare. Not as fetish fap material, but adult story with sex and gore. I wouldn't call it masterpiece, but if you focus on plot instead of sex scenes, story was pretty good, similar to Elfen Lied (anime, manga sucks).

I also liked Mare and agree with what you said, except for the last part about Elfen Lied, I liked the manga more.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I also liked Mare and agree with what you said, except for the last part about Elfen Lied, I liked the manga more.

Latter half of the manga goes downhill. Anime finishes in better place and changes they did, were for the better. I could go into detail, but it's not thread for that.

Nina Crepaldi
Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

I like that her characters are drawn almost or exactly the same, this way i can never forget the old ones that i already read from her, and i really like Morinaga art.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I like that her characters are drawn almost or exactly the same, this way i can never forget the old ones that i already read from her, and i really like Morinaga art.

It can make it really difficult to identify characters at times though. For example I was reading a manga here on the reader yesterday (I can't remember which one though) and its cover had some art by Morinaga. My first though was that it was Akko and Mari until I realized they were wearing two different school uniforms making me think it was Hitomi and Nana but in the end I really just couldn't tell for certain.

Nina Crepaldi
Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

It can make it really difficult to identify characters at times though. For example I was reading a manga here on the reader yesterday (I can't remember which one though) and its cover had some art by Morinaga. My first though was that it was Akko and Mari until I realized they were wearing two different school uniforms making me think it was Hitomi and Nana but in the end I really just couldn't tell for certain.

Oh i can't identify the characters at all, i don't remember the names of pretty much any manga that i read of hers or any other, if is for me to identify them i can't do it, i just like the fact that they are pretty much the same.

I am this dumb!

Kyosaya_Bubbiline
joined Jun 21, 2015

Wait so does that mean it will be a monthly release now? If that is the case my heart became extremely happy.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Its so great to be reading Milk again...so far loving the character development! ^_^ I hope we get the next translation monthly ^_^

Gah1
joined May 25, 2015

Hurray for monthly releases (hopefully)

To reply you must either login or sign up.