Forum › Posts by MattoMaindo

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Yo, guys! Long time no see. Hey, the video mentioned in this post is getting a sequel. Check out the premiere when it happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvX7R6vyWtU

EDIT: You missed it, guys! Either way, the video is out now so be sure to check it out.

last edited at Aug 20, 2020 12:05PM

MattoMaindo
C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but here's my two cents. I argue that the feels makes it reals. Just because we didn't get any action, don't mean the seeds weren't already planted. I've read so many Yuri and seen so many of the tropes this screams "not subtext" to me. Plus, here's hoping to a part 2? But then there's the argument that if there is a part two if that makes the first part definitively Yuri. Man it's like I'm a pundit for a high school debate lol.

last edited at Jul 11, 2018 5:13PM

MattoMaindo
C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

In regards to the song used, be sure to look up the version with James Taylor as well. That shit is smooth af. Mangaka's got some good taste.

last edited at Mar 15, 2018 5:54PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

I have a feeling that like maybe the mangaka got a lot of emails or comments saying like "This isn't yuri! Get this shit out of here!" and she responded by basically adding "NUH-UH, IT IS YURI, SHUT UP!"

MattoMaindo
C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

This is the brief little exchange I had with Komiya-san over the course of yesterday and today. I hope she can learn to have a bit more confidence in the future :).

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Got a new gaming rig, able to play GameCube games and stuff like Killer is Dead (as seen with my new profile pic). Must say, well worth it.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Keep in mind I haven't finished Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Space Dandy. Nor have I started Neon Genesis Evangelion, Welcome to the NHK, One Punch Man, etc.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Nezchan posted:

OriginalGengar posted:

Friendly reminder that my avatar is still the best in the forum.

I'm pretty sure mine is since it fits my general attitude like 99% of the time, lol.

I win because I have bread and because I said so.

I'm sorry, I just had to :P.

ALSO MINE IS THE BEST BECAUSE TRIGUN IS 3RD BEST ANIME

Proof:

Top 10 Best Anime List That Is Totally Not Subjective at All or Just My Opinion Because Fuck You That's Why:

1: Cowboy Bebop
2: AnoHana
3: Trigun
4: Golden Time
5: Kids on the Slope
6: Azumanga Daioh
7: Death Note
8: Your lie in April
9: Nagi no Asukara
10: Rec

jkguysiluvu

last edited at Nov 21, 2016 7:31PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Neko chan posted:

^ oi! Where is stranger things at! It's so good to watch it mate! X,D

LOL I was listing off movies, but I get what you're saying. I'm not much into horror, especially not sci-fi horror (that gives me the mega-creeps) so I'll have to pass.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Nezchan posted:

There's gotta be a genre of songs that focus on "we broke up, but y'know that was okay and everyone's fine".

I don't really know if she's okay. I hope she is. I have to see her in like a month anyway for Best Buddies. I'm letting things lie for a little bit (let her process it [I've pretty much already processed my side of it]) then I'll text her some time later this week and see how she's doing. I've just been lied to so much in the vein of not causing conflict or hurting feelings that I vowed to myself if that I ever got into a relationship, I'd end it as soon as I realized I wanted to and be honest about it. I might've been too honest though, and then I made the mistake of leaving her at a Barnes and Nobles, but then I called her moments afterward and laid it all out. Tried not to burn bridges, said thanks and tried to be a bit more positive while telling her what I should've done before I left. No regrets.

last edited at Nov 21, 2016 5:44PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

I watched some more movies on Netflix, here's what I thought of them (strictly opinion, mine not yours) :
The Duke of Burgundy: 9
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil: 9
Ambrosia: 3

Here's my rating system, for reference. If you have any suggestions on changes, be sure to tell me.
Rating Scale:
1: Abysmal
1.5: Quite Awful
2: Awful
2.5: Quite Bad
3: Bad
3.5: Amateurish
4: Lackluster
4.5: Subpar
5: Mediocre
5.5: Bearable
6: Passable
6.5: Okay
7: Fairly Competent
7.5: Good
8: Reasonably Good
8.5: Quite Good
9: Great
9.5: Excellent
10: Superlative

Now here's my top 18 (in reference to my 18-point rating system) favorite movies of all time (that I've seen):

1: Gone with the Wind
2: The Notebook
3: When Harry Met Sally
4: Shawshank Redemption
5: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
6: About Time
7: Monty Python and the Holy Grail
8: Good Will Hunting
9: Life Partners
10: Carol
11: Intolerable Cruelty
12: Rain Man
13: Philidelphia
14: Enough Said
15: Up
16: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
17: Primal Fear
18: A Scanner Darkly

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

HUZZAH AND SHIT!

I have news for you.

I went on a 2nd date with the girl I mentioned, and I broke up with her. So there's that. It was very awkward, I don't regret it, I learned some things of what I want and don't want in a relationship, and overall it was a learning experience (to say the least).

I also received a smartphone for the very first time. I've been addicted to it, so that's probably why I've been MIA for a bit.

That's about it.

last edited at Nov 21, 2016 5:33PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Girl Friends did have a drama CD at least.

Of course you, who owns like every iteration of yuri on the planet, would know that ;P.

SF posted:

Im not the only one who thinks that user's on DR look exactly like their avi's in real life right ?

I had the same sort of haircut with the sideburns and the 5 o'clock shadow that my avatar has at one point and time. But as for the previous one, I did not, in fact, look like a pixelized cheetah.

@Everyone Leave it to Girl Friends to light a bright fire of passion in everybody's eyes. That's why I love this forum.

last edited at Nov 21, 2016 5:05PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Guys, let's ditch the whole idea of Netsuzou Trap and its translation. Instead let's focus on why there's NO GIRL FRIENDS ANIME!

There's no J-drama, no movie, no light novels, no audio dramas, not a god damn thing! That, my friends, is criminal and WAAAY more important than whatever any of you are talking about.

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 12:07PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Thought I'd go ahead and change my profile pic too. (I know it's a day late, but that's just how I roll). News with me: I got a smart phone for the first and have been addicted to it. That's about it. Kthanxbai!
EDIT: I forgot to say what it is. It's my favorite character from any anime, Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun. Ya needle noggin!

last edited at Nov 17, 2016 4:10PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

So... I went on my first ever date today. I didn't even realize it was a date until toward the end, but my mom kept telling me it was beforehand and I kept on getting embarrassed over it because usually, girls aren't interested. She happened to be right. So this girl is 25, I met her through Best Buddies Citizens, a program that pairs up neurotypical individuals with individuals who have social and behavioral disorders (e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorder, Downs Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). She happens to have ASD like I do. It was a conventional date with two unconventional individuals. We ate at a dine-in restaurant, and then we went to the nearby Target. Overall, I'd call it a success. We're planning on going to the mall next week for our next date. So there's plenty good coming my way as of recent. Things are certainly looking up for me.

P.S. That last part sounds like something at the beginning of a movie when the main character has all his shit together but then it all starts to crumble apart LOL. I hope that's not the case for me.

P.P.S. Amidst the He who shall not be named ordeal, I mentioned how I got a desk chair at Goodwill for 5 bucks after spending weeks on my futon or straight up on the floor/standing up. I felt like bringing it up again so none of you guys have to trudge back to find it. Also, I bought a full suit for $15 from Goodwill, you can check that out on Twitter (@MattMasterMind) if you want. I think I might've talked about Walking Dead some time ago, but I'll let sleeping dogs lie on that one.

last edited at Nov 13, 2016 5:27PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

I turned 19 yesterday :D. It was a pretty decent birthday. Yesterday I saw Jenny's Wedding (it's bad, wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a super-critic like me) Two days ago I saw Anatomy of a Love Seen (I thought it was quite good, though conflicting at first. Apparently it's quite the polarizing movie). I also saw Portrait of a Serial Monogamist two days ago (it was reasonably good, theming was a bit off, kind of odd in the way it was cut, but I don't know why people gave it such low scores), and finally, I saw A Scanner Darkly yesterday (An excellent movie. Not amazeballs, but pretty damn good to say the least. Loved the art style, the acting was superb, the script was interesting, and there were some decent twists in the movie). I have an interview on Wednesday, as well as several appointments throughout the week. I got a poster and a sticker with some money I got from relatives too. Overall, I had a string of two above average days and I hope to have another one today.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

So rather than stir the pot with political talk, I have a way more important announcement /sarcasm :

I FINALLY GOT A DESK CHAIR!

After so many weeks of sitting on my futon like 4 feet away or flatout sitting on the hardwood floor, I'm finally able to actually use the desk I have that holds my two monitors, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. Thank god for Goodwill. Some office's relocation or possible closure will not go in vein! Did I ever tell any of you guys I cobbled up a full suit (tie included) for less than $15 from stuff at Goodwill? I mean like an actual, interview-going suit. I have pictures to prove it. Just check it out on my twitter (@MattMasterMind... it's there somewhere). My mom also picked up some brand-new never used clogs for like $3.95 and we looked it up online and they cost like $119. Try to stay positive guys!

last edited at Nov 9, 2016 9:10PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Also. I'm considering majoring in English for college to possibly become an editor. I honestly feel it's a good fit for me, I think it fits my needs and can challenge me. I can start off with some sort of shadowing thing, maybe intern, maybe become an assistant and work my way into the editing gig. I feel that not only do I show a very high capability and skill with the English language, but that I also possess a very creative and analytical way of thinking that could prove constructive and beneficial to writers alike. Indiana's journalism scene is ever growing and booming, and if need be I can always move to another state. If I could, I'd love to either do editing for publishers, opinion pieces, artistic writing, or whatever. I think I got what it takes, and while I know it's risky, I'm willing to give it all I have to work from the bottom to the best position I can be in. OMG I just realized that last part totally sounded like some sort of anime protagonist's opening monolog in some wacky slice-of-life dramedy LOL. Either way, that is all.

last edited at Nov 8, 2016 5:34PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

2 points of topic I'd like to elaborate on:

1: I stopped watching the Walking Dead when they decided to kill Glenn. There were a lot of poor choices leading up to the season 7 opener that really helped put the final nail in the coffin. Honestly, I really felt Glenn should've stayed dead in the 6th season. That would've been one hell of a shocker that could've made season 7's reveal super crazy. The fact that they did what they did came more across as mean-spirited than shocking. While I loved JDM's performance (in my opinion nobody better could've played Negan), the reason why Glenn was killed and the previous teasing of it came across as a big middle finger to the fans. I felt the decision to redo Abraham's death due to the comic alternative being lackluster was commendable, but with the Wolves being completely overhyped, this constant straight-from-the-comics writing, and the way certain characters were handled (E.g. Morgan. Carol), I really feel that even just Abraham wouldn't have cut it. The only true equivalent to the loss of a massive fan favorite would be Daryll. But these writers would never have the gall to do that. The comics started from humble beginnings and Robert Kirkland established one rule and one rule only for the comics. Rick is the only person who cannot die due to being the central character of the plot. Everything else is fair game. But on the tv show, there's no way in hell they'd kill off the cash-cow that is Daryll, they wouldn't murder Judith (an infant) in cold blood, and they sure as hell wouldn't take nearly as many risks as the source material or even the first 3 seasons. After the premiere of Season 7, I was officially done. There's no way in hell this show will ever live up to its former half because it peaked a long time ago. The premiere had lame editing, terriby stupid promos top of the big reveal, so don't think that's the only reason I stopped. While television is at an all-time high in quality, declining viewership and ratings, a shift in media and technology, and our current market means that shit like this will always triumph over shows that don't take the easy way out.

RANT OVER

2: Christmas is a conflicting holiday to me. It's not necessarily a spiritual thing due to personal reasons, and I sure as hell don't appreciate Christmas commercials, products, songs and what not airing as soon as Halloween is over (I mean, what about American Thanksgiving, Guy Fawkes Night, Veterans Day/ Remembrance day, or anybody who has anything important that doesn't involve a holiday that is OVER A MONTH AWAY), but it's always been a happy time visiting friends and family and getting excited over what will be under our family's Christmas tree. I still believed in Santa for quite a while longer than others, and many of my family have experienced that likewise, so the magic certainly existed for a long time. Even then my family has certain traditions that we look forward to on the 25th of December that more than make up for that loss. But again, it's a very commercialized holiday, there's this unnecessary stress about what to get people and how to shop, there's the hideously handled Black Friday, and it seems more and more that stores set up for it sooner and sooner with every passing year. But I digress, I still celebrate it because it means a lot to my family, therefore it means just as much to me.

last edited at Nov 8, 2016 5:24PM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Me with political talk:

Basically, I'm a moderate and am frankly more concerned with my state's elections.
My pool of votes is all across the board.

What that details, I simply plead the 5th.

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Rina posted:

@Matto

Odd, I've never seen your rants before lol. But thank you for not starting a debate over this topic.

That may have been a bit presumptuous of me to assume you saw like my two or so posts like 75 or so pages ago. Plus, I kind of accidentally blended some of my chats with members one on one with this forum (although obviously with those I wasn't "comical" per se, but more genuine.)

I've always thought Yuri should preach love and acceptance, not bickering and flaming. We're all deviants in some form or another here. I feel like there's no better place to embrace our quirks and differences. Whether LGBTQ or whatever, we've all got one glorious thing in common. It's that love for the wacky archipelago with the moon language. In other words:

JAPAN!

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

And for the record, if anyone disagree with this, please don't reply to me. It's easier to just agree to disagree right off the bat than to start an opinion war that'll lead nowhere.

Side note: You guys have no idea how long I've wanted to get this off my mind...

I know many have seen my comical rants about subtext, but know that my "hatred" of it is purely satirical and hyperbolic. I've never had a problem with it, and I am all for endings that leave things to the imagination. I've seen too many of my favorite stories get bogged down with the need of an "all-encompassing ending" that leaves nothing unresolved. Sometimes it's nice to play with the what if and what could be. But for my sake, it's a simple matter of "not my cup of tea". Like threesomes/orgies or ghost romances or even certain genres as a whole like Mahou-shoujo or psychological horror, I can respect some of the amazing things they do, but I just don't want to read those sort of things.

last edited at Nov 3, 2016 10:22AM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

@Utoptia

Sorry to answer this question late, but the reason why I didn't enter college right away was for a few reasons.
First and foremost, I didn't want to rush into it like I rush into nearly everything.
The recidivism rate for those who enter college/university straight from high school in America is pretty high, and there're some things I really wanted to sort out before I delved right into a new world I didn't know. I seemed to be going so fast in high school with such a high-stress level, that the moment I could finally get away from the "just graduate" mentality, I wanted to take things slow and go step by step. I wanted to learn how to drive (something I couldn't do in high school due to immaturity and a tumultuous medicine change), I wanted to obtain and maintain a job, and I wanted to figure out a major and possibly a minor before applying anywhere.

So, a few new things with me.

• I went to a Halloween party as Elwood from the Blues Brothers and won the costume contest.
  • My brother celebrated his 21st birthday and my mom her 50th.
  • It appears I've upset a few individuals in one of my BTVA project's Discord groups because I got a vague warning from the project leader in a private message that I made people uncomfortable and my behavior was "inappropriate". In my defense, nobody spoke up once (so I'm assuming they told her in private to avoid conflict or something), the rules weren't even established until like 3 days ago and I can't imagine what I said to irk more than one person that quickly. I already struggle with social cues as it is, so imagine my dismay on this text-based chatroom with no intonation, body language, and with people of whom I barely know and have no inclination of their boundaries. The cool thing about the mods here is that the rules are crystal clear from the get-go, and rather than being vague and dramatic (It does not please me to tell you this, I am saddened to do this.etc.). Somebody like Nez is just like "Don't post that many pictures" or "Don't say that thing you said to so-and-so" or "Don't advertise for other websites". Plus I get warned right away, life goes on, I don't do it again and we're cool. So painless in comparison.

last edited at Nov 1, 2016 10:20AM

C8-h7dlw0aetesm
joined Jun 14, 2015

Sorry to hear about all your guys' woes. It makes me sad to see my buddies down in the dumps like me :(. Hoping to apply for a job at a convenience store next month when I'm 19 (state law says that's how old I have to be to handle alcohol). Because I decided not to go to college right away, I had to spend like over 6 months after graduating mid-term making phone call after phone call trying to get meetings set up. I guess I could've applied to somewhere right away, but I have benefitted greatly because of my job coach and my first job at Office Max. Basically what I learned is that retail is not for me. I have so many great advantages at my disposal due to my ASD diagnosis, but I have to deal with so many incompetent/overworked/busy as hell people that it drives me crazy. It seems like all I do is self-advocate. But I digress, it's too much to divulge into. Basically all I'm saying is that there's been way too much waiting on my part and staying at home doing nothing has been a bummer. It's kind of funny. The whole time I was in high school and middle school, I wished I could stay home all day and play video games and stuff. Now that I actually have a chance to do that, I'm on and off between miserable and satisfied. It's like I have to distract myself from being depressed.

EDIT: I realize you guys may not be "down in the dumps" per se, but some negative stuff is happening and I don't like that. Also, I made a post like 4 or 5 pages ago, but I get if you didn't see it. It's not like I put a giant exclamation differentiating it (something along the lines of HUZZAH! or something, I dunno I forgot). #sarcasm

last edited at Oct 17, 2016 6:29PM