Forum › The Day the Cherryfruit Ripens discussion

joined Aug 18, 2015

Age gap is tricky. It can be uncomfortable depending on how it's done.

This one is well done and I don't feel the creepiness you are all talking about.

from the legal standpoint, the 41 years old woman would go to jail if they lived in the states. 16 years old is not mature to enter into a relationship with an adult.

Uh no. Age of consent is 16 almost everywhere (lower in some countries) and in most states anyway.

If she was under 16, yeah. But since she's over 16 and the relationship is not abusive (or exploitative), this is legal.

so I did a quick seach of age of consent in the States -http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/age-of-consent-by-state.html. it varies in each state. It appears the 41 years old would be prosecuted in almost half of the states. personally, I'd still feel wrong to date someone who is under 20

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Your feeling of "wrongness" stems from your culture, our era and your own prejudice. At some other times and places, it's perfectly ok.

I'm not someone who would deny the reality of someone's love based on some arbitrary number, or even based on their gender. A lower limit is necessary, but 16 is enough in most cases, if there's no abuse.

last edited at Jun 5, 2016 1:52PM

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

This one is well done and I don't feel the creepiness you are all talking about.

from the legal standpoint, the 41 years old woman would go to jail if they lived in the states. 16 years old is not mature to enter into a relationship with an adult.

Uh no. Age of consent is 16 almost everywhere (lower in some countries) and in most states anyway.

If she was under 16, yeah. But since she's over 16 and the relationship is not abusive (or exploitative), this is legal.

In Canada, the age of consent is 18, with exceptions for very specific circumstances. Effectively, the same is true of Japan (as laid out in the Children Welfare Act). Pretty certain it's very much the same in many other countries.

18 is high and pretty rare in the Western world. The age of consent in Canada isn't 18 either, it's 16. Exceptions apply the other way around and disallow sexual relationships if the older person is in a position of trust or being exploitative.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Gerontophiles like Rise have it good. Huge window of attraction, more wrinkles every day.
Now, if someone were to be specifically attracted to highschool-aged girls, they'd have only about 5 years before the specifics start wearing off and the girl is highschool-aged no longer. Theoretically speaking.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

In Canada, the age of consent is 18, with exceptions for very specific circumstances. Effectively, the same is true of Japan (as laid out in the Children Welfare Act). Pretty certain it's very much the same in many other countries.

Well, I'm surprised you wouldn't even know (or check) for your own country. It was raised to 16 in 2008 in Canada.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/other-autre/clp/faq.html

18 in japan is for "acts of fornication" (whatever it precisely means. Exploitation ?)

It seems to be legal from 13 and up, on the condition of "sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval)" as per wikipedia.

So I guess if the parents are cool with their 16 year old daughter doing "this and that" with someone 25 years older, then the law will probably say nothing.

And knowing Japan and the flourishing industry of enko, I doubt the "do nothing if you're under 18" thing is enforced really strictly.

last edited at Jun 6, 2016 12:30PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, I'm surprised you wouldn't even know (or check) for your own country. It was raised to 16 in 2008 in Canada.

It was raised from 14, which applied mainly if both participants were under 18. If anyone older was involved, they'd have to satisfy specific criteria, which a lot of adults wouldn't qualify for (this case would be legal, albeit frowned upon). The adult cannot be providing any financial or material support to the young person, nor can they be a teacher, youth leader, or in any way in a position of trust or authority over the young person (or, I believe, young people in general). Plus of course the usual restrictions about not being related to the young person. That cuts out the vast majority of adults who would be in a position to start an age-gap relationship in the first place, save for fantasy situations like this one. So an adult being able to have a legal relationship with a 16-year-old is a rarity, rather than the rule.

But I didn't expect you to know (or check, beyond a quick glance at Wikipedia) so I won't hold it against you.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, I don't think it would be that rare. They go clubbing, they are a regular customer in a shop (I don't think store manager counts as a "position of trust"), they go often to the same café, or whatever, and they get asked out. Whichever side the asking out comes from.

Anyway, the "window of opportunity" (between 16 ans 18) is quite short, so a responsible adult in mutual love with a 16yo should be able to wait that much.

And anyway, you just contradicted yourself. You wrote "In Canada, the age of consent is 18" which is clearly not what is written on the government site. It's even the reverse : age of consent is 16, except for some specific circumstances.

last edited at Jun 6, 2016 1:05PM

joined Aug 18, 2015

Your feeling of "wrongness" stems from your culture, our era and your own prejudice. At some other times and places, it's perfectly ok.

I'm not someone who would deny the reality of someone's love based on some arbitrary number, or even based on their gender. A lower limit is necessary, but 16 is enough in most cases, if there's no abuse.

first, u dont know me so dont assume where my feeling is stemming from. that's very unattractive.

what era r we living in? an era where it is perfectly peachy as long as it is legal? possibly to some. it is legal but that doesnt mean it is moral. some people tend to abide & live by a set of values, while other dont. that is why I said 'personally.' I didnt expect others to agree with me.

16 years old is not enough in any case when the other party is an adult. a high schooler = KID. does it normal to see a 40 years old man dating a 16 years old high school girl?

last edited at Jun 6, 2016 8:52PM

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Lets not go there, this can of worms is bigger than Arrakis.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So much righteousness...

A true sjw.

last edited at Jun 7, 2016 1:51AM

joined Jan 17, 2014

Wow first very far apart age gap manga I've ever read! Thank god everything went well in the end. :) But man, 25 years age difference is big!

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

This is really nice, I like this continuation. Continuations in and of themselves are rather rare, so, double nice.
In the first part I guessed Machi is between the ages of 35 and 45, 41 is more or less in the middle of that window. I like how Machi briefly took the initiative here, since it was Andou who was normally in the lead. And they ultimately stayed together. Three years would suggest a rather stable relationship.
Also, Shou is such an easy-going character. Seems like nothing fazes him. 'Bad grades, nah, I will have them back up in no time, so no worries'. I also found amusing, in a positive manner, that he goes to ask his mother about Andou when she misses school.
All in all, I liked this a lot.

last edited at Jun 8, 2016 6:39AM

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Also, Shou is such an easy-going character.

True, I didn't expect a highschooler guy to be so supportive of his mother's new romantic interest. Though maybe it had something to do with said interest being a young pretty girl .

last edited at Jun 8, 2016 8:05AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Interesting thread. jmv, I would suggest reading the first part of this story, if you have not done it already. While I do agree an age gap relationship where one party is rather young can be problematic from a variety of reasons, this particular piece manages to circumvent all of such instances.
Also, the "I just expressed my opinion and did not expect others to agree" is pure nonsense. You found this age gap to be creepy. Fine. Someone said they do not see it that way. Also fine. But then, instead of just saying it was your personal opinion, you went with legal standpoint. Legal. Standpoint. Followed by such lovely statements as: 16 years old is not mature to enter into a relationship with an adult. The adult should know better to not take advatage of the younger even though the younger is the instigator. (By the by, how is the younger one being taken advantage of, exactly, when she is the one doing the pursuing?) Those are statements. You did not say "my opinion is", you just stated these things as facts. Followed by: Imagine how the parents of girl feel abt the relationship, which is just an appeal to people's emotions, imagine-this, imagine-that, how-would-you-feel-if-you-were-a-parent. And then: well, everyone likes happy ending, & this is yuri. so I guess most people r okay with it, which is just a nice way of dismissing anyone who liked this, on the grounds "oh, it is yuri". But that was just not enough, so: it is legal but that doesnt mean it is moral, bringing morality into it when the legal standpoint failed (which again has me wondering if you ever read the first part, immorality is probably the one thing no one thought about when reading this story). some people tend to abide & live by a set of values, while other dont. Here, again, you were dismissive, even rudely so, with people who do not share your opinion. You did not say "I have values, they have different values". No. What you said sounds more like you having values, while they have none. Which is a negative thing to say about other people, since I am struggling to see how 'you have no values' could be construed as anything other than an insult. a high schooler = KID. But it is not just high school students, is it? You said "under 20", which also disqualifies quite a bit of the college population as well, since around half the college students are 18-20. You are free to set your own personal line wherever you want (provided all the usual legal and anti-pedophile principles are in order, of course, not saying any bottom line is acceptable), and that is perfectly fine, but I just wanted to say this was the first instance I saw someone dismissing college students on the grounds of age. 16 years old is not enough in any case when the other party is an adult. a high schooler = KID. does it normal to see a 40 years old man dating a 16 years old high school girl? See, I am again wondering if we read the same work. And this is the second time you are giving the "16 is not old enough, in any case". Combined with that pure addressed-to-yuri-fans-who-can-not-see-anything-wrong 'just imagine if it was a male doing it'. You are not stating your opinions. You are preaching. Since you started, discussions about the legal age of consent have replaced discussing the chapter itself. Not complaining, though, since I find these things to be fun, but there are better suited works for it than this particular manga, since basically nothing you said has any bearing on the actual work in question.

last edited at Jun 8, 2016 9:02AM

joined Aug 18, 2015

Interesting thread. jmv, I would suggest reading the first part of this story, if you have not done it already. While I do agree an age gap relationship where one party is rather young can be problematic from a variety of reasons, this particular piece manages to circumvent all of such instances.

I did read the first part...still cannot get over the girl is a 16 years old. If the girl was 18, I dont think I would find it creepy bc the girl would be an adult, not a HS student.

Also, the "I just expressed my opinion and did not expect others to agree" is pure nonsense.

You found this age gap to be creepy. Fine. Someone said they do not see it that way. Also fine. But then, instead of just saying it was your personal opinion, you went with legal standpoint. Legal. Standpoint. Followed by such lovely statements as 16 years old is not mature to enter into a relationship with an adult. The adult should know better to not take advatage of the younger even though the younger is the instigator. (By the by, how is the younger one being taken advantage of, exactly, when she is the one doing the pursuing?) Those are statements. You did not say "my opinion is", you just stated these things as facts. Followed by Imagine how the parents of girl feel abt the relationship, which is just an appeal to people's emotions, imagine-this, imagine-that, how-would-you-feel-if-you-were-a-parent. And then, well, everyone likes happy ending, & this is yuri. so I guess most people r okay with it, which is just a nice way of dismissing anyone who liked this, on the grounds 'oh, it is yuri'. But that was just not enough, so it is legal but that doesnt mean it is moral, bringing the morality into it when the legal standpoint failed (which again has me wondering if you ever read the first part, immorality is probably the one thing no one thought about when reading this story). some people tend to abide & live by a set of values, while other dont. Here, again, you were dismissive, even rudely so, with people who do not share your opinion. You did not say "I have values, they have different values". No. What you said sounds more like you having values, while they have none. Which is a negative thing to say about other people, since I am struggling to see how 'you have no values' could be construed as anything other than an insult. a high schooler = KID. But it is not just high school students, is it? You said 'under 20', which also disqualifies quite a bit of the college population as well, since around half the college students are 18-20. You are free to set your own personal line wherever you want, and that is perfectly fine, but I just wanted to say this was the first instance I saw someone dismissing college students on the grounds of age. 16 years old is not enough in any case when the other party is an adult. a high schooler = KID. does it normal to see a 40 years old man dating a 16 years old high school girl? See, I am again wondering if we read the same work. And this is the second time you are giving the "16 is not old enough, in any case". Combined with that pure addressed-to-yuri-fans-who-can-not-see-anything-wrong 'just imagine if it was a male doing it'. You are not stating your opinions. You are preaching. Since you started, discussions about the legal age of consent have replaced discussing the chapter itself. Not complaining, though, since I find these things to be fun, but there are better suited works for such things than this particular manga, since basically nothing you said has any bearing on the actual work in question.

so I see u misunderstood my comment. I didnt expect people to agree with me when I said personally I would still feel wrong not date someone who is under 20 (meaning when I am 41). I am in my early 30s now, I still wouldnt date someone who is under 20. To me, like I am taking advantage of the youngster. I know I am quite old fashion & overprotected -I am told quite often. So this's my opinion.

Now when it comes a 16 years old high school girl dating a 41 years old adult, it is a complete different issue. Moral & legal all come into play. I found it is wrong for a full-grown adult dating a 16 years old girl-whether it is legal or not. so, if I sounded preachy then okay.

last edited at Jun 8, 2016 9:36AM

Bleach_589___giselle_gewelle_alux-d7quz%20(1)
joined Dec 2, 2014

Did somebody else thought about how akward it would have been if Rises mother had come home? Like "Why is a middle aged stranger in our house?" "Yeah, she's my Girlfriend".

And yeah, I think the laws in those situations in germany are solved pretty good. Sex with 16 year olds is legal als long as it's not abuse, prostitution or some form of dependence between the adult and the teenager (like student-teacher or Boss-Worker, legal guardian and children) and even sex with 14 oder 15 year olds doesn,t have to end in conviction as long as the Teenager shows the ability for sexual self-determination. Such cases are investigated from case to case instead of saying "She was so and so old, you're a sex offender."

last edited at Jul 30, 2016 2:46AM

joined Aug 22, 2016

18 is high and pretty rare in the Western world. The age of consent in Canada isn't 18 either, it's 16. Exceptions apply the other way around and disallow sexual relationships if the older person is in a position of trust or being exploitative.

The age of consent varies in the US from 16 to 18 as the decision is left to the states, but there may be a federal minimum? I'm not sure. I think in all states that if that person is in a "supervision" position, like a teacher, counselor, church leader, and so on then the age of consent is automatically 18 across the country.

10 States - 18
8 States - 17
32 States - 16

There is nothing illegal about dating and where sex is obviously a sex act, kissing seems to be a grey area. It would depend on the court and the judge I think. However, after looking this up a little, I found that there are lesser charges such as committing a lewd act against a child.

I think some states have it set up where the age of consent may be 16, but the other partner must be under 18. So a 16 year old having sex with a 17 year old is okay as 16 is the age of consent, but a 16 year old with a 41 year old would be criminal, even though the 16 year old is at the age of consent.

last edited at Jan 27, 2017 2:01AM

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Machi-san is awesome! ♥

First panel, sooooooooooooo sexy !

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

As nice as this was, did anyone else find it a bit creepy that a 25 year age gap story has a title that talks about ripening fruit?

25 years difference is no problem bc like someone has said before age is just a number. However, I find it creepy when a 41 years old woman dating a 16 years old.

I do not

last edited at Sep 14, 2018 1:49AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This and the prequel were really nice, but you know what would be better? A serialization.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

This and the prequel were really nice, but you know what would be better? A serialization.

You're right! A Ghost tag would be perfect for the sequel, hopefully along with either the Insane Amounts of Sex or Ice Cream tag. Try to to picture THAT story

last edited at Aug 8, 2019 11:49PM

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Lmao the credits page

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

The amount of people excusing a blatant case of grooming is weird to me. She's under 18, she's still a child, at 16 she can't drive, drink or by drugs in a lot of countries, she also still requires parental consent for a lot of things. If this was a straight relationship I wonder how many of you would still be so keen to excuse it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.