Forum › After Hours discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

It's just really funny how often romance manga will end with one character suddenly moving away in the second to last chapter, and the other character having to either go find them or wait for them, with them reuniting in the last chapter for the finale. I can think up 5 off the top of my head, but I bet I've read at least a dozen that do this. It's like this is just the default response to "Oh shit! Manga's cancelled, I've got 3 chapters to finish it!"

Rotfl yes, I totally understand what you're talking about and it always annoyed me. As if it was default way to end story on dramatic note. I suppose it is at least the easiest way.

last edited at Dec 16, 2018 7:11PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

screw license!!!!

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

screw license!!!!

Just buy the damn things if you want to read them so badly. You can get digital versions of all three volumes for less than $20.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This one wasn't even Noble Idiocy (lover suddenly disappears/breaks up, etc. because of some half-assed notion that it's "good for" the other person), but just "I could have told you but didn't because reasons." Shit, if this had ended with the scene in the bathtub it would have been fine. Everything after that was useless nonsense out of nowhere. Not sorry I read the first parts, though.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I guess I'm an anomaly who liked the whole series and didn't find the ending to be particularly bad or anything. Certainly not "bait and switch". The characters were believable and likeable, even if Kei made a massively bad choice at one point. The ending was consistent with Emi's character arc and indicated a positive ending.

Personally, I'm not really fussed that the big romantic finish happened a full chapter or so before the actual end of the story. A longish denouement surely, but not unenjoyable.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You like what you like, Nez, but for me the problem was not the outcome but just that the whole thing depended on people (or rather a person) not talking about things they had no real reason to not talk about.

"Emi steps up to be an equal with Kei" is a fine ending, but there were plenty of ways of getting there besides the drama-out-of-nowhere path the author took. I'd have much preferred more scenes of Emi actually coming into her own with the rest of the group rather than being shown the mechanics of "The Quest for the Inexplicably Missing Kei."

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I have to say that I didn't dislike the ending. I mean, Kei dissapearing without notice was more like "well, this person don't want to make a clear break up because it's still a little child in that side", like Emi was at the first of the serie. Is like Emi grow up, but also shows that the person who is supossed to be grow up isn't that much xD also that supportive uncle ♥ YES. Yeh, I can think in better endings and it seems veru rushed for me, but if it got cancelled, well... It's a classic ending in cancelled series xD

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not sure why we're spoilering since it's a series that was finished a while ago and isn't getting posted here.

In any case, I thought the ending itself made sense for Emi's character arc. I would have liked to see more of her learning more about the night life, the stuff Kei was teaching her remotely, her growth as a group leader and so forth, but what we got wasn't unsatisfying to me. It felt a little off on the first reading, but on successive reads it feels more natural, since I'm not going in expecting a different sort of story. Plus the little flashback-as-epilogue really does solidify how serious Kei's been about Emi all along.

I think the key really is re-reading it a few times. If I'd only read it once and walked away, I probably wouldn't like the story as much as I do.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Not sure why we're spoilering since it's a series that was finished a while ago and isn't getting posted here.

Exactly because it isn't posted here and just because it's finished it doesn't mean everyone read it or are ok with being spoiled just because series is old.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

So now I literally can't read it anymore. Wow, thanks. Guess fuck us if we're not Americans.

To reply you must either login or sign up.