Forum › Hibike! Euphonium *Spoilers* Discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I really want this ship to come true very badly, but KyoAni's history is making me incredibly nervous.

Examples? I've seen a bit of their work and I don't really get this one at all. Do Hyouka, KnK and/or all their pre-'09 series have a good deal of "bait?"

I won't let myself be fooled...
http://s28.postimg.org/5ikqyw9al/Hell_yeah_3cf07ff8f48e84ff1b7a825f94b647dc.jpg

Too perfect.

last edited at May 26, 2015 9:13PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

@Hylarn,
you think it could happen? because I sure would love it if they f**** do go for it as well as my views will change of them!! its risky hope we are putting our faith in a couple that might or might not happen. Could they be testing us? playing with us "once again"? or could they actually sit down together have a conference and once say "ok guys we have these many episodes left to make... we have seen these two characters have made a lot of progress together and seem to have a lot of chemistry. We all know we want them together can we make this happen?" or they can be major trolls...

last edited at May 26, 2015 9:15PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Don't let yourself have high expectations, keep it low.
It will probably never go beyond subtext.

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

Not gonna spoiler but the show is probably going to have an open end as far as ships go because it won't cover all of the novels. So enjoy the qt Reina and Kumiko interactions for what they are. Just don't expect them to become a canon couple.

I kind of wonder why the male love interests always have to be so bland though, that grates on me the most...

joined Jan 30, 2013

^agree with you on that lol, but then again isnt he just a normal guy? I've read many shoujo romances and the male of interest are always so exaggerated (same with female interests for male mains). ANYWAYS, they are either too sueske like or too naruto like (dumb example I know, dont judge). Or they are some delinquent with a heart or gold that is the "that only shows the soft side of him to the main female protag". Or the psycho "i want you all to myself, and anyone that comes next to you Ill kill." Or the super nice guy with the dark side and the list goes ON. So maybe in a way I disagree with you? I think he is perfect, he is a typical guy which is realistic in my opinion. What is wrong is that he doesn't get enough screen time. if the main point of the show is to bring him and Kumiko together have the show revolve around them more like they are doing with Kumiko and reina. Is dumb of them to do this sort of thing with Kumiko and Reina (leading the fans on to the wrong path) to then having "childhood-kun" and Kumiko together at the end; that would seem forced and Kumiko is just NOT showing any type of romantic feeling towards him. Because if they want them to be together at the end, stop with the crap and go for the (I call them cliches) Kumikox Chhildhood friend-kun and stop lying to your viewers to what we think could be a romance between Reina and Kumiko, because god damn it its frustrating! and it hurts the show later on lol So its not that he is bland its that they aren't putting enough effort to develop both Kumiko and "childhood Friend-kun". Therefore, making him more of a background character.
ps: forgot his name lol

last edited at May 26, 2015 10:29PM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Am I the only person that actually thinks they might ignore the source material and go for the yuri route? They've been doing a hell of a lot more to set up Kumiko and Reina than Kumiko and Shuuichi

yeah they ignore the source. just look at chuu2. dekomori wasnt even in the light novels and kyoani gave us deko x shinka.

but then again, they also gave us tamako love story.

joined Jan 30, 2013

^that profile pic and name lmao love it xD

9f884eb4-9edd-4d0a-a5a6-a97e2125366d
joined May 7, 2014

I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I really want this ship to come true very badly, but KyoAni's history is making me incredibly nervous.

Examples? I've seen a bit of their work and I don't really get this one at all. Do Hyouka, KnK and/or all their pre-'09 series have a good deal of "bait?"

I thought K-On!, Free!, and maybe even Tamako Market were good examples of this. I haven't watched Hyouka, and don't really have too much to say about KnK. KnK was set het from the very start.

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

Here's a little something extra to squeal about. They played a song called 愛を見つけた場所 (The Place We Found Love) for their duet.

I'm still trying to keep my hope low but it's so damn hard.

joined May 7, 2014

Here's a little something extra to squeal about. They played a song called 愛を見つけた場所 (The Place We Found Love) for their duet.

I'm still trying to keep my hope low but it's so damn hard.

;_;

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

How did K-On bait? Genuinly asking, I only watched the first season and read all the mangas.

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

How did K-On bait? Genuinly asking, I only watched the first season and read all the mangas.

I wouldn't call it bait, just pretty normal subtext, if only a little. No one got a relationship so no one was led on then surprised by some het. There weren't even any guys.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Ah okay, yeah. I didn't consider that bait so I was kinda scared for a second there. Thanks.

joined May 7, 2014

Hmm... well, straight to the point, I only watched the two seasons and the movie and I thought there was a sort of thing with Mio and Ritsu, but to me, Azusa and Yui stood out a lot more and could be a stronger example. Yui would constantly show big affection towards Azusa (hugging her, feeding her, calming her down, even suggesting a playful kiss at one point), would go out of her way to do very special things with her, and in my personal opinion, it seemed like Yui cared for Azusa much more than anyone else, and in a way that might be more than friends, but hey, that's just me. Azusa did seem to be much more flustered, moved, and influenced by Yui than anyone else as well. But of course, they never went farther than friends canonically.

Or it could all just be normal subtext and I'm over-thinking things.

I'm about to say something from the movie. Does that count as spoilers? Not sure.
Also, in the movie, there was a fair amount of implied gayness between Azusa and Yui, however, it was eventually a tease and a result of a "misunderstanding".

Just keep in mind all of these things are from my perspective. I might be unintentionally exaggerating it, haha, so sorry for that. But, yeah, I hope you get the gist of it. Might or might not be bait to you. Wow, I just realized I totally went off-track form the original forum topic. Sorry for that as well.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Haha, no worries, I think that's just normal subtext though. The manga did the same, it even introduced a new ship in K-On! College with Yui x Akira which, by the way, is the better ship and never did anthing with it either. That's just how it always goes and I definitely wouldn't it against KyoAni.

BolbyNasution
Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

Hey hey guys. Check this out !
http://www.kitakubu.co/2015/05/the-hibike-euphonium-novels-were-also-yurilicious/

Yet again after giving you guys a delicious yuri material, i bring a bad news as well. It will be Het ending. Thats all. Ciao

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

You might want a source for that latter part.

As others have said, it's pretty doubtful the show gets there (this season, anyway).

Essay below

Haha, no worries, I think that's just normal subtext though.

I will say, what would be considered "normal subtext" nowadays wasn't quite so back in '09. Certainly this is at least part of the reason the K-On! yuri fanbase was/is so huge.

But, yeah, I hope you get the gist of it. Might or might not be bait to you. Wow, I just realized I totally went off-track form the original forum topic. Sorry for that as well.

Everyone has their own opinion about what is and isn't bait, and that's okay. Thank you very much for giving me examples and explanations! You're cool. I do think it's a bit unfair to hold K-On! and Free! against the studio given that they're adapting someone's work with a fair amount of accuracy, but that and their choice(s) of source material do play into your feelings (for lack of a better word).

Personally, I look at what the studio has done since K-On! and that gives me hope for the future. A gay character was treated with respect in Tamako Market - even if she "lost," her love for another girl was treated about as well as any such character in anime. They created an original character in Chuunibyo that is the epitome of homosexuality (yes, that's a joke), and expanded upon this in season 2. And now this??

Maybe they won't get together. Maybe there are dudes at the end. Maybe someone at KyoAni is sitting there writing up as many ways to troll that fanbase as possible for next season and all the seasons beyond because this is how they get off. I don't really believe that though. My optimistic viewpoint leads me to believe people at the studio care about and enjoy same-sex romance. Whether it's this season or the one after or even a year or two down the line, I don't think a canon same-sex pair is very far off.

You can just feel the huge set-up to disappointment I'm giving myself with this post, can't you? Even with the above post in mind, even with the supposed novel baiting in mind, I will hold the line.

last edited at May 27, 2015 11:14AM

joined Nov 16, 2013

^agree with you on that lol, but then again isnt he just a normal guy?

Well that was my point. He's average to the point of boring, even his character design is fairly bland. He's completely forgettable compared to Reina but will probably 'win' anyway just cause he's male.

joined Jan 30, 2013

^Theres nothing wrong on being a typical guy xD he should had gotten more screen time tho -.- because it makes him easy to forget its true. I don't understand tho if they plan on making him the targeted romance for Kumiko why not make him important from the very beginning? -.- As for his design, honestly he has better design than the guy with the glasses that is going out with the one chick. The guy with the glasses still outshines him lol, why? cause he appears more in the anime than childhood friend-kun lol.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Nothing wrong in reality, but regarding fiction? I's boring, and boring is bad for stories.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

As long as the anime ends with Kumiko and that guy not ending up together, I can pretend that she and Reina will end up in the future together.

Anyways this anime is pretty nice so far, especially since I'm in a high school concert band myself and the whole thing's pretty relatable. I can only hope that more and more subtext shows up in future episodes...

joined Jan 30, 2013

^+

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Guto (?) the guy with glasses is far more interesting that stupid Tsukamoto or whatever his name is, ¿why? I dunno at least he can carry heavy stuff and has a somewhat mysterious attitude, the blondie kinda Tsukamoto is just ... he annoys me, besides the fact that he may ruin a very nice ship xD

joined Nov 16, 2013

Nothing wrong in reality, but regarding fiction? I's boring, and boring is bad for stories.

Pretty much this, it's the reason why good romances are almost nonexistant in anime even though there's an abundance of romcoms. All the male leads are boring as **** and it's completely unbelievable that so many chicks are all over them. Most relationships in real life aren't that asymmetrical. I know less about shoujo but I think it suffers from the same problem in reverse.

joined Jan 30, 2013

KatzeDer,
I agree, at this point if Kumiko and him end together it would just feel forced -.-
As well as the guy with glasses is a major cutie pie. You saw the way blushed at the festible and he complimented his girlfriend; his ears were red that was a major + for them as a couple and I like those two because it!! See that right there was A GOOD COUPLE freaking adorable! Which is why I just can't see what's his face with Kumiko at the end they have no type of chemistry -.-. It feels more of a brother sister relationship than anything. Like an annoyed younger sister with her big brother. Or you know that other thing of (THEY ONLY FEEL AS JUST CHILDHOOD FRIENDS AND NOTHING MORE) it's like when your close to a real good friend that imagining you guys together feels like "eeeeeew no he or she is like a brother/sister to me hell no >:0". Hell my younger sister treats me that way -.- kids when they hit puberty get so distance agh
Lmao and I went off the topic lel

last edited at May 28, 2015 11:52AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.