Forum › Maki-chan’s Home Visit discussion

joined Mar 25, 2013

Didn't expect a continuation from the previous one. Still it's adorable. One could argue that it's yuri as well, cause there's a lot of blushing and stuttering xD

joined May 24, 2014

Hey, there it's DONKEY KONG from that donkey kong country series!

Untitled
joined Oct 4, 2014

oh shit, maki's mom is hawt

Purpletentacles
joined Jul 3, 2014

It's the leader of the bunch, you know him well...

joined Jul 2, 2014

Oh gosh, so much tsundere cuteness: Maki's happy face when she sees Nico on p 4, Nico getting embarassed about cooking a tomato dish for Maki.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Thanks for the cute short doujin! Although I saw a lot of suspicious lines behind some of the text

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Anyone would like share your pasta/spaghetti/whatever recipe?

Come to think of it, shouldn't this title translated into "Maki's Visit to Home"?

last edited at Apr 26, 2015 5:26AM

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

Anyone would like share your pasta/spaghetti/whatever recipe?

Come to think of it, shouldn't this title translated into "Maki's Visit to Home"?

The verb is searching and the noun is house/home (someone else's), it's kinda vague but i assumed it implied she was kind of looking for new house where she felt comfortable in, where she felt at home. I asked a couple other people and there really isn't many possible translations so i just went with this. Also i was sleepy to think too hard about it.

joined Apr 23, 2014

HE

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

... but i assumed it implied she was kind of looking for new house where she felt comfortable in, where she felt at home.

Your assumption is false. You need some sleep before re-reading page 03, which was done by yourself.

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

... but i assumed it implied she was kind of looking for new house where she felt comfortable in, where she felt at home.

Your assumption is false. You need some sleep before re-reading page 03, which was done by yourself.

As vague as it is, the verb is still "to search/inquire" and even after asking a native person to make sure of it, the only suggestion they gave was "home searching". Well i generally suck at translating titles and i could probably have twisted this one around a bit to fit the context, but i usually end up being literal so i didn't even think about turning it into visit, so this is how it came out in the end. I'm sorry for doing things half asleep, i'll try and pay more attention to context next timeヽ(_ _ヽ)彡 (read: i'll try to look for easy titles next time)

last edited at Apr 26, 2015 10:39PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

calm down

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Interestingly I'd actually kind of disagree with both of you!

探訪 to me feels more like the sort of visit a journalist pays to a place for a story or inquiries they would make (cf: kotobank, weblio thesaurus, and the fact that the two kanji are 'search' and 'visit'). It's a 'search', but not in the 'looking for a location' kind of way, but more in the 'going to a place to look for information' sense. You can particularly see this on weblio where all the synonyms to me seem more appropriate to be used in the context of a journalist or detective.

A quick Google search can also show you the way it's being used... seems to be to often be used in sites/blogs and such that are about people travelling around finding out awesome restaurants, sacred/historical sites, landmarks... I even saw one about a trip to go find some komodo dragons...

Not too easy to translate, really... Investigation? Feels a bit weird.

...Polite translation discussion is always better than being rude though~

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 7:06AM

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

I think the word here is used in a sense that's like a teacher visiting a student's home and having a talk with the parents. And skimming through the story, I think the title might be a little more appropriate if it's "Maki-chan's home visits" instead in my opinion.

Also nosebleed I thought you're doing this to improve your Japanese. If this is still true then instead of finding an easier title the next time, you could find a qc to help with creating a title that's more appropriate. There's no shame in getting things wrong. I just can't imagine you to be learning much of anything if you're not trying to challenge yourself and make a better effort to improve--translation or editing.

As for candy, he likes to complain and nitpicking everything. He's not the master of Japanese or scanlating so don't get all upset and scared just because he pointed out something he thought was wrong. It's not really constructive criticism, especially when all you're doing is bitching.

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 10:14AM

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

I just never encountered the word 探訪 before, so i was quite at a loss on how to translate it, and given that all my dictionaries gave me journalism related stuff (apart from "searching"), I really couldn't make much sense out of it, unfortunately, even after asking a couple people for help. I do apologize for that (though I'm glad at least the rest of the story was fine :P (or at least I hope it was))
After reading through all the suggestions, I do agree with your take on it the most, kouhai, I believe "home visit" is the most fitting for the context at hand, I just really didn't make the connection in my head since I was unfamiliar with the expression.
If a moderator is able to, I would kindly ask to rename the title to "Maki-chan's home visit" if possible.
I'm not hurt or anything, I know i make blunders pretty often, so it's always good to learn! Thank you for the help with explaining this title, it was really confusing me.
Also the "finding an easier title" was just an expression :P I translate the things I find cute! That is the only criteria~
I'll try to have some other people look over stuff I do next time if I can (this was just something I found and translated at 4 in the morning in one sitting after working for 3 hours straight on a VN translation project haha)

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 11:32AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

If a moderator is able to, I would kindly ask to rename the title to "Maki-chan's home visit" if possible.

Gladly~

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

It's all good. AnonBlack recently posted a guide on splitting sentences and sounding natural, and I think it could apply here in the situation of a title:
http://translatoranon.tumblr.com/post/116924214270/part-two-this-time-im-talking-about-bubble

Another example is something we've released at the end of last year:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/deep_sea_blue_like_me

And can see here we've translated the title to Deep Sea Blue Like Me, when in reality the original title was Aoku Mizuiro Na Watashi as noted here in MU:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=118263

But as Shima has mentioned, sometimes it's just weird in English. In the case of "xxx na watashi" it's even more so because there is no real way to directly translate that. We've opt in for something that sounds a little better/natural to English speakers. So don't be afraid to change the title to something else that's not quite the same in Japanese, yet still retains the same meaning.

And sorry for turning this into a translation discussion, but I'm just a little excited to be nerdy here. I'm really glad you were able to be open minded about something like this!

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 11:49AM

Tumblr_nqv8vppgwy1qhzyd1o1_1280
joined Dec 27, 2014

This was really sweet, really starting to love this pair.
Cool DK plush.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

The first pair I liked in LLverse, then I moved away after s2 and all the screaming NozoEri and the wonderfully little hidden TsubaHono subtext. Now I'm starting to like it a lot again.

Funny how ships work in that way.

A tsundere babies, TOOO LOVELYYY~ >~<

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

As for candy, he likes to complain and nitpicking everything. He's not the master of Japanese or scanlating so don't get all upset and scared just because he pointed out something he thought was wrong. It's not really constructive criticism, especially when all you're doing is bitching.

I'd like to tell you - or should I put it with your expression, bitch(verb) - that I do scanlating - at least the translation part. And for the scan part, I believe every scanlation group should learn a thing or two from this one.
(While I admit I'm not a master of Japanese though.)

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 12:35AM

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

I just never encountered the word 探訪 before, so i was quite at a loss on how to translate it

You need to split the two characters at times like this, since you'll encounter thousands, if not hundreds, of words made up in such ways in East-Asian languages. Or Japanese and Chinese, to be precise, since in these languages words are frequently compound words like such. Knowledge on frequently-used phrases/expressions helps a whole lot on the word segmentation.
Now I'll bitch about learning another language. Generally speaking, learning through translation practice is a good approach itself, but don't do that in public releases. Instead, buy or find yourself some textbook / exercise book, do the exercises, then compare your answers against the given ones in order to learn from the differences on selection of words, order of word/phrases, etc. I taught myself Japanese that way. (Of course this won't make you able to "speak" another language with your mouth, but you can still seek aid from anims / games / drama CDs.)
Last but not least, keep yourself not-so-sleepy next time.

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 1:04AM

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

But as Shima has mentioned, sometimes it's just weird in English. In the case of "xxx na watashi" it's even more so because there is no real way to directly translate that. We've opt in for something that sounds a little better/natural to English speakers. So don't be afraid to change the title to something else that's not quite the same in Japanese, yet still retains the same meaning.

If I were you, I'd think of another example, since the something-weird-in-English here is the grammar/syntax structure of the phrase/sentence, not the meaning of single words.

joined Jun 12, 2012

The art looks kind of derpy.

joined Feb 15, 2016

^ sigh I know right ? :0

To reply you must either login or sign up.