Forum › Valkyrie Drive, New Multimedia Project by Senran Kagura's Creator

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/senran-kagura-producer-leads-ps-vita-game-for-new-valkyrie-drive-mixed-media-project

http://valkyriedrive.jp/

And here I thought that Lesbears was the weirder Yuri I've seen.

Yuri lovers that become weapons :v

Great designs and a weird as hell premise

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, the concept has been done before. It's just Soul Eater, basically. I'm a little worried about the ridiculous amounts of fanservice and I don't hope they just kiss cause they have to to become weapons (although it didn't look like it at least).

Not being ultra optimistic, but it's gonna be better than Cross Ange, at least.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Well, the guy helming the anime worked on Queen's Blade, Seikon no Qwasar and other fanservice anime so ridiculous amounts of fanservice is to be expected. Takaki for his part is most known for Senran Kagura and fanservice is also a big part of it but he also cares a lot for his product and makes sure that all of his games are the best they can.

In the end it comes on whoever is coordinating all the project is able to deliver a consistent tone between the three sections. The potential for something great is there after all.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I don't have anything against fanservice in genereal, I'm just a bit cautious when it's used with yuri because of the whole male-gaze thing. Like, I'm male but I don't want yuri to be treated as "Look, there's two girls making out. Yuri." I want romance and stuff.

Senran Lagura was pretty enjoyable, I kinda liked Queen's Blade cause it was too ridiculous to really make me dislike it but being behind Seikon no Qwaser is nothing to brag about.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

There's seem to be some hints of romance on the PV (like the blonde being protective or the bit with the lunch between the two purple haired girls) but since is meant to catch the eye of the biggets audience possible the PV is focused more on the action and the fanservice.

I guess we'll have a better notion of the concept when more detailed info is released.

I'm very interesting on the project but mostly because of Takaki's involvement. Senrna Kagura is one of my favorite series ever.

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine, do let us know of a release date for the anime, when there is one! I did enjoy Senran Kagura and Queen's Blade myself. Might be shocking, but for a heavy fanservice type anime, Queen's Blade does have a good amount of yuri shoved between all the 4 seasons, although it might not be to everyone's taste.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Interessting... will give it a shot when it airs I guess. Hope the yuri side is not mere fanservice, PV shows potential for romantic bits at least.

Anyways, slightly off-topic: Hows the yuri in Queen's Blade?
I saw... well, skimmed through Seikon no Qwasar just for scenes with Katja and Hana, tho I am kinda not glad with Katja getting a yuri-harem later on xD

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I keep reading the title as a street address.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Haven't watched the third season (which actually seems to have the most yuri from what I could gather) but it's pretty high in quantity, not as much in quality. There's subtext, there are one sided crushes but there is no real romance. Ah, and one of the evil girls tries to rape like every woman on earth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I can't help but smirk at the implications of kissing turning your lover into a weapon. I mean, it can't be fun to end cuddling with a sword or a pair of gauntlets. XD

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Not really a fan of over-sized, bra-less breasts, but this looks like it could be fun

Not too worried about the yuri just being for eye-candy. Senran Kagura is pretty gay

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I am kinda hyped about this show, even if its of the kin of shows that I tend to ignore.

Haven't watched the third season (which actually seems to have the most yuri from what I could gather) but it's pretty high in quantity, not as much in quality. There's subtext, there are one sided crushes but there is no real romance.

Aw, not even any thing along the lines of an actual couple? Mrrmmrmrm, I'll pass on this one.

Ah, and one of the evil girls tries to rape like every woman on earth.

Yea, kinda tired of the trope: evil lesbian sexually harassing any woman at any chance...

EDIT: The PV here, in case anyone didn't scroll down into the comments section.

last edited at Mar 21, 2015 10:59PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

giant boobs....urrggghhhh ..
dammit make proper yuri romcom for once!!!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Hold on flips QB: Rebellion is pretty heavy on the gay factor, Anelotte has basically a harem! btw you guys talking about Airi or Echidna? XD neither of them are evil. Oh right and Erina is EXTREMELY gay.

I'll check valkyrie drive when it comes out why not? who know it may turn out to be the best action+yuri ever.

last edited at Mar 22, 2015 4:31AM

joined Dec 7, 2013

Well, apparently the two purple haired girls in the trailer are twins, so I'll watch it and likely play it. You can't keep me away from that twin yuri.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Hold on flips QB: Rebellion is pretty heavy on the gay factor, Anelotte has basically a harem! btw you guys talking about Airi or Echidna? XD neither of them are evil. Oh right and Erina is EXTREMELY gay.

I'll check valkyrie drive when it comes out why not? who know it may turn out to be the best action+yuri ever.

I was talking about Merona (I think that was her name). That goo girl.
I was planning on watching Rebellion eventually but now that I know it's gonna be a harem, I'm not so sure anymore.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I see it has tons of episodes.. too lazy to go through it all just for the kind of yuri it seems to deliver.
Mind suggesting specific episodes?

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

@OriginalGengar: you don't like yuri harems? :(. I watch the series for the characters since they are pretty fun. Oh right I forgot she does that...but if you liked the other seasons I don't see why you wouldn't like Rebellion, Melona does something cool also shes not "evil lesbian" she just enjoys chaos.

@flips: right uuhhh...its kinda here and there in all the seasons and it's been a while since I watched it so you might want to watch bits an pieces if you don't care for the story. S1 has that ep introducing Airi(ep 6 or 7 I think) and...yeah, theres also strong subtext between Leina and Risty. Rebellion changed the protagonist and she starts to assemble a "harem" althought I think Lunaluna(late season to see how devoted she is) is the only one with an actual yuri crush. There's also a lot of domination like the girl winning the fight will tease the other one but I doubt you'll care about it. Finally the Elina moments in general she's super gay.

QB is ecchi then drama/comedy with some yuri here and there because it's a cast full of girls, I watched the 1st season before I became a full-time-yuri-fan so I can say it's not for everyone, but I do still enjoy it. Also at least 90% of the girls are gay only 1(Cattleya) is not and Nanael is at least bi. Wait isn't this topic about Valkyrie drive? lol.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

@OriginalGengar: you don't like yuri harems? :(. I watch the series for the characters since they are pretty fun. Oh right I forgot she does that...but if you liked the other seasons I don't see why you wouldn't like Rebellion,

Strangely enough, I like most yuri harems I know - Iono-sama, Earth Girls, YuriCam and I guess that harem battle manga is okay too. But that's because they are good mangas aside from having a harem or do something different with the theme or are ridiculously over the top with their tropes. Generally, if it's yuri or not, I enjoy harems a lot less and they need to be pretty special for me to rate them as high as mangas/shows without harems. I definitely have a higher tolerance for yuri harems than for het ones, though. the Monogatari Series is pretty much the only het harem I like.

Yeah, Shitsurakuen sucked. People are going to say it didn't, but it did.

Melona does something cool also shes not "evil lesbian" she just enjoys chaos.

I don't know, I just don't wanna see people molesting other people. It's uncomfortable, even for QB standards.
I'll probably watch it anyway, just later.

last edited at Mar 22, 2015 10:44PM

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

I'm really hyped with this. Those kisses in the promo doesn't make look like they're only kissing because they must.
Hopefully will be yuri without lame excuses.
The twins look amazing. And the part where they're eating is cute.

And about Queen's Blade... I really want to watch Rebellion, looks great with Anerotte and all. But I'm having an hard time watching the first season. I just watched two episodes when was released and was too much. Maybe I need to give it another try now.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

@flips: right uuhhh...its kinda here and there in all the seasons and it's been a while since I watched it so you might want to watch bits an pieces if you don't care for the story. S1 has that ep introducing Airi(ep 6 or 7 I think) and...yeah, theres also strong subtext between Leina and Risty. Rebellion changed the protagonist and she starts to assemble a "harem" althought I think Lunaluna(late season to see how devoted she is) is the only one with an actual yuri crush. There's also a lot of domination like the girl winning the fight will tease the other one but I doubt you'll care about it. Finally the Elina moments in general she's super gay.

QB is ecchi then drama/comedy with some yuri here and there because it's a cast full of girls, I watched the 1st season before I became a full-time-yuri-fan so I can say it's not for everyone, but I do still enjoy it. Also at least 90% of the girls are gay only 1(Cattleya) is not and Nanael is at least bi.

I'll note that down. Maybe will check it out once I stop getting bombarded with work.

Wait isn't this topic about Valkyrie drive? lol.

Well, other than expressing our hype there is not much to say since there isn't much info about it out there, it seems. We can always just come back to this thread once/if info is released.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Interestingly, there are already prototypes for the anime pairing's figures

https://twitter.com/valkyriedrive/status/579169455650930688

Also, the official twitter account of the project

https://twitter.com/valkyriedrive

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Looks kinda fun though if its by the Senran guy I'll expect mostly just fan service with minor romance bits but nothing too substantial.

One thing though - it would be kinda hard to be one of the sword girls lovers - no kissing or she turns into a sword?
That would suck - unless they have a method to kiss that DOSNT trigger it?
If they don't it means no real kissing involving these pairs in the anime/game/doujins except to transform :(

last edited at Mar 23, 2015 4:45AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Looks kinda fun though if its by the Senran guy I'll expect mostly just fan service with minor romance bits but nothing too substantial.

While I'll always advocate keeping expectations low, it's also not best to assume that a creator's new work is going to be just like their last. What we've seen so far is definitely pushing the yuri angle

One thing though - it would be kinda hard to be one of the sword girls lovers - no kissing or she turns into a sword?
That would suck - unless they have a method to kiss that DOSNT trigger it?
If they don't it means no real kissing involving these pairs in the anime/game/doujins except to transform :(

Well, are both weapons but don't transform at the same time, so that suggests that they can choose not to. But that's just speculation on my part

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Well, are both weapons but don't transform at the same time, so that suggests that they can choose not to. But that's just speculation on my part

In any show i've seen with this kinda premise, you have the 'users' who have the ability to activate & use them, (almost always guys before from what i've seen) and then girls who become the weapons.

Having both users and wepons as girls is a first (bar an odd exception), but I think it will still be the same idea. Just as guess though. And I hope they CAN control if they change of not when kissed by their 'user' - it will be a bit limiting if not.

To reply you must either login or sign up.