Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I also like the forum as is though if something was added, it would be an easier way to search posts and threads created and posted in. Currently, it's a bit of a hassle when trying to look up old posts.

I've seen rep/like systems get abused and sour relationships and the like on many a forum. Currently, I think it's fine and it's better getting to know each other through the content of their posts instead of vying for rep status and the like.

Yeah, reputation or promotion systems are way too open to abuse. A like button wouldn't be so bad if it was a cosmetic-only addition that didn't affect message placement or visibility, and was just there for funsies. Also, it would have to be both easy to implement and resource-light. I'm happy enough without it though.

joined Jan 30, 2013

The Recently Added page seems awfully unreliable lately. Works keep disappearing abd reappearing for no apparent reason.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

The Recently Added page seems awfully unreliable lately. Works keep disappearing abd reappearing for no apparent reason.

? I haven't noticed this myself. Can you specify any specific examples/screenshot it?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Just something related to the forum....(I've only read the first few posts, so I apologize if it's been asked and rejected): what about something to rate/like posts in the forum? Because some people really post insightful comments/contribute greatly to the discussion. It's such a shame to not be able to do anything besides say "Thank you".

Or perhaps a "reputation" function; so amazing users get additional "points" when someone hits the "add rep" button.

I think something like a thread subscription system or maybe even private messaging would be magnitudes more useful than that. (Also maybe a report post feature would be useful. Currently it seems that mods just have to luck out and stumble across things which is going to take up quite a bit of time.)

last edited at Mar 16, 2015 9:05PM

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Foot Print by Vivit Gray

minor mistake on pg 17, fixed page
http://voile.gensokyo.org/src/1426557279699.png

Miku_badass_svgexport-140
joined Sep 3, 2011

I just skimmed through the pages so I might've missed it, if someone posted something similar:

I would like to have a way to "fast-jump" to the first new post in the discussion to a chapter using the chapters release date. It's especially useful for new releases when I want to see what kind of responses people leave to the new chapter. Probably not useful for one-shots though.

Using the chapters date and finding the oldest post after that date should be fairly trivial, right?

Greetings
Me

last edited at Mar 17, 2015 1:44PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I think a way to navigate to the comments without actually clicking onto the manga might be good, I've seen people talking about how they were glad they checked the comments before reading it and thought the extra accessability might be appreciated. Unless I'm an idiot and there is already something like that in system.

joined Jan 30, 2013

? I haven't noticed this myself. Can you specify any specific examples/screenshot it?

About a week ago a one shot disappeared and reappeared after several hours. But I made that post because Casusby deleted the Madoka doujins but before he made the news post so I didn't know why they were gone.
In conclusion, it's probably because the staff did stuff but you'd know more about that than me.

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

I'd rather keep the forum simple.

I've seen rep/like systems get abused and sour relationships and the like on many a forum. Currently, I think it's fine and it's better getting to know each other through the content of their posts instead of vying for rep status and the like.

Yeah, reputation or promotion systems are way too open to abuse. A like button wouldn't be so bad if it was a cosmetic-only addition that didn't affect message placement or visibility, and was just there for funsies. Also, it would have to be both easy to implement and resource-light. I'm happy enough without it though.

Yes, I didn't know about that. If that's the case, then yes, it's probably better to not go ahead with it. I was more fond of a like button than a rep system, but it's just a suggestion! It's not like I'll spend my entire life promoting the cause, heh.

last edited at Mar 19, 2015 12:22AM

joined Jan 30, 2013

Are featured scanlators going to replace featured anthologies/chapters?

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Are featured scanlators going to replace featured anthologies/chapters?

No, any scanlator, anthology or chapter (probably artist, and all other tag(s) too) can be featured. Presumably next week will be a more typical choice.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I've seen a few discussions about what tags to include on certain stories based on the spoilers they provide, so what about a "Show Spoilers" function similar to VNDB? Now, I'm not an IT guy so I don't know if it would pay off considering the work you'd have to put in but I thought I'd just put that idea out here so there you go. I guess including that would require some changes to the seach engine (like the option to include or exclude those) so maybe not. I don't know.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

How about having a mod approve of comments before them being displayed?
Would stop spammer(s), you know who I am talking about.

joined Jan 30, 2013

That is both an awful lot of work and a reliable way to kill off a forum.

joined Jan 30, 2013

Someone ban him, quick. IRC is down because of him, presumably?

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

That is both an awful lot of work and a reliable way to kill off a forum.

Yeah, maybe too radical.

Mmm, other forums I'e seen use a "cooldown" of some sort, can only post 3 comments in the span of 15mins.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm definitely not in favour of comment approval. But throttling to deal with spam cases like this might not be a bad idea. 3/15 minutes is WAY too slow though.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Yeah, I'm definitely not in favour of comment approval. But throttling to deal with spam cases like this might not be a bad idea. 3/15 minutes is WAY too slow though.

Actually I think it's 5mins. Anyways, others I've seen go as low as 30 seconds to 1 minute. Or use captchas.. tho these tend to be really annoying.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

God, I hate captchas. Don't use those. 3 posts/5 minutes isn't too bad, maybe a system that removes that limitation after you've been around for a short time, so it only applies to really new accounts, which most spammers are. Like, first two weeks or even less.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

God, I hate captchas. Don't use those.

An alternative to the annoying captchas is that new(ish) one Google rolled out where it's literally just a tickbox and something about the way they made it manages to stop bots still.

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011

... 3 posts/5 minutes isn't too bad, maybe a system that removes that limitation after you've been around for a short time, so it only applies to really new accounts, which most spammers are. Like, first two weeks or even less.

Maybe define a new poster account as one that doesn't have any (or only has 1) forum posts older than 7 days? (Or 10? 14? 15?) Spammers can be banned before they ever reach that limit.

Tumblr_ndswy8zyst1tbrceao1_1280
joined Mar 17, 2015

I would like to suggest that it needs many Love Live and KanColle doujin and I would suggest a Love Lab doujin (pairing: Riko x Maki) because when I watched this anime I think it would be great to have a Love Lab doujin to make this website improve. I hope my suggestion is ok... ":)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh right I never gave an update on the site's speed: yeah it's all good now thanks!
Uh about the accounts thingy: an xp or rank system but I'm not sure how that would get implemented, have a post limit if you're under a certain rank. Or simply a post limit for new accounts.

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

A link to your past posts under your account drop-down in the top right would be rather useful. It'd help make it easier to track threads you've posted within in lieu of an actual thread subscription system.

Edit: Also while we're on that subject would it be possible to add direct links to your posts in your post history? Currently the only links there only link to the thread. In huge threads such as the one for Citrus that makes it a pain to find a post without inspecting the post history page's source and knowing how to format a link manually.

last edited at Mar 23, 2015 1:01AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.