Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

If it's about sending a lot of data at once, couldn't it be solved with scroll-based lazy loading? It would also solve the issue of manhwas that somethimes come in as randomly cut up vertical strips.

Yeah, I had the same thoughts. This is still a potential bandwidth sink compared to page-by-page horizontal reading, though. To load an entire manga in our current format requires a mouse click for every page up till the second to last page. To load an entire manga with a scroll-based mechanism, the user could simply scroll to the bottom of the page to initiate loading, then scroll back up and read as normal. I've no evidence that this is something the average user would do, but whenever I'm investigating shady scans on shady vertical sites, that's what I do, so I assume it's at least an ordinary thought that may occur. Would that be enough disincentive to not do it for bandwidth reasons? I'm not really sure, it's probably something worth looking into further.

What exactly does the "suggestion status" button in profile dropdown do? I would assume it shows status of the upload requests by the user, "received", "in review", "approved", etc. Doesn't seem to be the case, though.

Can you expand on this? When clicking the button, I get exactly what you seem to describe, I think? Slight difference in wording, though - Pending = Received/In Review.

I'd rather see "rejected because..." as the status than wait for the request to go through only for it to never do.

Unfortunately there's no feedback system at present, but it's definitely a feature I'd like to have.

Sample_0bc66a359c3af4a24555c4bef5b4c655
joined Oct 5, 2015

All I see is this. Which cannot be right, since I made an upload request today, then earlier this week. And even got one approved earlier, I'm even listed as the scanlator.

Your screenshot seems to list only proposed tag changes, by the way. I'm talking about upload requests.

last edited at Aug 9, 2019 11:57PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

All I see is this. Which cannot be right, since I made an upload request today, then earlier this week. And even got one approved earlier, I'm even listed as the scanlator.

Your screenshot seems to list only proposed tag changes, by the way. I'm talking about upload requests.

Ohh, yeah I glazed over the "upload request" bit, thanks. The Suggestions Status page is strictly for tag requests, and I think the functionality is probably self-evident at this point. Admittedly, its location, naming and design are all sub-optimal, it would seem.
As for upload requests, there's no way of implementing something like feedback into our current workflow, and to do so would require a significant overhaul somewhere along the way. It is non-ideal, but you're welcome to ping me on Discord anytime if you'd like to ask about any specific upload requests.

joined Oct 5, 2015

If not feedback, then at least under review/accepted/denied would be fine, similarly to what tags have. I mean, submissions go into the database regardless, so displaying submissions by user and their status should not be all that hard to implement.

Guess I'll have to keep track of that myself, since there's two-or-so submissions whose name I can't remember, so I don't even have a way to ask about their status.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I mean, submissions go into the database

If by "database" you mean "everexpanding trello to-do list". It would be hard to grab by user too since that's just a line on the description and not a tag or other sortable item.

joined Oct 5, 2015

Huh, I thought submissions are handled in some admin panel on Dynasty itself, had no idea you're using a Trello board for that.
Yeah, if it's all stored offsite I can see how it can be problematic.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ok, since you insist to use scanlation dates, can you at least make Recently Added button consistent? On main page it show you actually recently added works, but if there's more than it can show at once and you click on see more, it will show works using release date as well meaning, the works that were actually showing up on main page, won't be there and instead will show at their appropriate date, so if you add more than 5 chapters at once, you can't click on see more to actually see if there was more, because you have no way of knowing when they were released and where you're supposed to check. It makes it very easy to miss works with older dates if you aren't checking site everyday and even when you do, you can still miss them, because they will never show up on actual main page.

What I'm asking make Recently Added work like on Discord, so you can actually check what was recently added there. I know, you can just use Discord for that, but not everyone use Dynasty Discord.

EDIT/ Looking at it again, both releases on main page and recently added have some more inconsistency.

last edited at Aug 10, 2019 8:16AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

If by "database" you mean "everexpanding trello to-do list". It would be hard to grab by user too since that's just a line on the description and not a tag or other sortable item.

It's not hard to find by user with the search function, most of the time.

Which cannot be right, since I made an upload request today, then earlier this week.

Both of these are awaiting scanlator permission.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Ok, since you insist to use scanlation dates, can you at least make Recently Added button consistent?

I'm sorry to say, I'm a little bit confused by your post. So I'll take it one point at a time.

On main page it show you actually recently added works, but if there's more than it can show at once and you click on see more

So at this point, we're here:

Then we click "View more chapters" and we end up here:

it will show works using release date as well meaning, the works that were actually showing up on main page, won't be there and instead will show at their appropriate date, so if you add more than 5 chapters at once, you can't click on see more to actually see if there was more, because you have no way of knowing when they were released and where you're supposed to check.

So as I understand you, you're saying that the Front Page orders by release date (and time of that specific date), but the Recently Added page orders based on when a work was added to the reader, with no regards to release date. This can create some cases wherein what shows up on Recently Added is five chapters of Virgins' Empire, but once you click "View more chapters," you end up with a Recently Added page full of releases from the front page, with the Virgin's Empire additions nowhere to be found. Is that correct?

It makes it very easy to miss works with older dates if you aren't checking site everyday and even when you do, you can still miss them, because they will never show up on actual main page.

What I'm asking make Recently Added work like on Discord, so you can actually check what was recently added there. I know, you can just use Discord for that, but not everyone use Dynasty Discord.

Here's where I'm a little bit confused - I think it does already? From top-to-bottom, page-to-page, the Recently Added page (not its preview section on the main page) ought to show every addition to the site, in chronological order based on posting date/time. If you skipped out on the main page and only ever browsed Recently Added, you'd see every post we ever make to the site, and its functionality is pretty close to the Discord version...I think.

last edited at Aug 10, 2019 12:48PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

The recently added box on the main page doesn’t show recently added chapters that are also on the first page of recently released, so sometimes the order is different on the full recently added page.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm glad I wrote that, because now I finally understand how that damn thing works. It's a bit complicated to explain, so I might elaborate later, but short version is that because the way chapters are listed on main page and in recently added is identical, I assumed they both were segregated by dates. I never actually checked every new addition to see what date it has, so when I saw all added chapters in Recently Added under 10 August, I assumed they all had the release date of 10 August. So it was purely my mistake.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

I'm glad I wrote that, because now I finally understand how that damn thing works. It's a bit complicated to explain, so I might elaborate later, but short version is that because the way chapters are listed on main page and in recently added is identical, I assumed they both were segregated by dates. I never actually checked every new addition to see what date it has, so when I saw all added chapters in Recently Added under 10 August, I assumed they all had the release date of 10 August. So it was purely my mistake.

Gotcha. The distinction between Front Page and Recently Added is something that's been brought up to me a lot lately - along with that between release date and post date - so any thoughts one has to share are appreciated.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Could the site have an email notification when a manga is licensed, similar to the notifications you get when a new chapter comes out? It would be quite difficult for me to constantly check every manga I'm subscribed to or have read to see if one's been licensed.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Since i've not followed this huge thread (tho I think I made a suggestion ages ago) Im not sure if this has been suggested, but on a given chapter, when you are reading it, next to the group name, is the date the chapter was released and a little calendar icon by it.

I think it would be really handy if you could click the calendar and it took you to the first forum page where when this chapter was released start from. (so it wouldnt necessarily match that shown date if there was a difference)

Basically I think it would be handy to have an easy way to jump to where comments for a given chapter are rather than jumping through dozens of pages till you find them. I can't be the only one who quite often wants to see old comments on a chapter they have just reread. (Or are just now reading, long after it came out).

Dunno if it's possible- but given you have dates for forum posts, all you need to know is the upload date of each chapter i'd think- and to jump to the page with the first post with that date.

last edited at Aug 19, 2019 12:38PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Can we have a tag for Saaya x Mob-sensei?

For Siri x Alexa too. lol

last edited at Aug 20, 2019 9:08PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I don't know if this is really in its place in "Suggestions for improvements", but I feel like putting a more recently made forum into one of the 'pinned' forums, as per a comment I made in that forum.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

@elevown that is technically already doable, but only from the forum page. You just have to click the topic's title, but since there are a lot of mangas on the site and there's no search function in the forum. Being able to do it from the manga page/chapters like you can with the image page would be really useful.

Edit: a nopan/going commando tag would be nice too: https://dynasty-scans.com/images/13230

last edited at Aug 23, 2019 10:22PM

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011
OrangePekoe wrote:

The distinction between Front Page and Recently Added is something that's been brought up to me a lot lately - along with that between release date and post date - so any thoughts one has to share are appreciated.

I certainly appreciate the "recently added" list, and it's the way I keep up to date on releases (backlog, since I'm lazy).

In fact I can't think of how the "New Scanlations" list on the main page would be usable for anything but casual browsing. It certainly isn't if you don't want to miss any releases: a couple of months' delay in the post will make the chapter magically appear on page 20, where no one will ever spot it. It's only for series where, once a later chapter appears, you'd go hunting - for one-shots you'll miss the story entirely.

I have a few notes about B.G.M.R.S.P. by Kawai Rou:

It seems the part currently labeled "Chapter 5" is actually the extra "Chapter 0.5" from volume 1: it contains the afterword for that volume, as seen on the the last page.

The actual chapter 5 has been uploaded on Mangadex: https://mangadex.org/chapter/326859/1.

Furthermore, it seems the original Yuri Hime publication date for the actual Chapter 5 (from this page from volume 2) has been applied to that extra chapter. Since it's an extra chapter, it was probably never published in Yuri Hime.

The chapters should be divided into volumes thus:

• Volume 1: ch. 1 - 4 + extra 0.5 (currently labeled "5")
  • Volume 2: (the currently missing) ch. 5; ch. 6 - 8, extras 8.1 and 8.2.

last edited at Aug 28, 2019 2:43AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

The chapters should be divided into volumes thus:

• Volume 1: ch. 1 - 4 + extra 0.5 (currently labeled "5")
  • Volume 2: (the currently missing) ch. 5; ch. 6 - 8, extras 8.1 and 8.2.

Ahh this explains a lot. You're a gem, thanks so much!

I'm thinking that 0.5 ought to be placed later in the volume, around where a 4.5 would be, since it seems like it's meant to be read later(?), but I think I need to read the series to make that determination.

joined Apr 2, 2011

I think the order the chapters appear in the tankoubon is the correct one every time.

If you label it as "0.5", the reader can make an informed decision on whether to start with that.

last edited at Aug 28, 2019 3:06PM

joined Apr 2, 2011

In the series "Angel x Demon" by Shimmer, the recent image post (2019-06-11) is redundant, since it's already present as the opening page (#0) of ch01. Even the source links on both point to the same patch of 12 images on Pixiv (id=69854367 from 2018-07-25).

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 1:32AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

We'll be making a V4 of this topic with a more detailed FAQ and a thorough list of suggestions pretty soon. Not that anyone will read them, but I do so enjoy organizational work. If you've been dying to post a suggestion/question/whatever, now's your chance before we kill this version of the topic!

maco

I think the order the chapters appear in the tankoubon is the correct one every time.

If you label it as "0.5", the reader can make an informed decision on whether to start with that.

Agree, good point.

In the series "Angel x Demon"...

I knew that would happen, thanks.

juanelric

Edit: a nopan/going commando tag would be nice too: https://dynasty-scans.com/images/13230

We'll call it Saki. As for the other tag stuff, I'm not sure. Running behind on all those so I'll look over them when I get there.

BV

I don't know if this is really in its place in "Suggestions for improvements", but I feel like putting a more recently made forum into one of the 'pinned' forums, as per a comment I made in that forum.

This is the place for it. That said, I think it would be cleaner to just merge this with the existing manga thread of the same variant. There's no significant difference between the two, really.

elevown

I think it would be really handy if you could click the calendar and it took you to the first forum page where when this chapter was released start from. (so it wouldnt necessarily match that shown date if there was a difference)

This has been tossed around before, it's a great idea, not sure that it would ever happen tho.

Meikakuna

Could the site have an email notification when a manga is licensed, similar to the notifications you get when a new chapter comes out? It would be quite difficult for me to constantly check every manga I'm subscribed to or have read to see if one's been licensed.

This would be a great feature. We've talked a lot in the past about how to increase visibility for licensed works and how to better integrate that reality into the site. I'm afraid that e-mail notifications are a no-go at the moment, but we could attempt to build a thread of licensed work on - or previously on - the site, or something to that effect.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Something small that in all likelihood has been brought up pages and pages ago, but.... it would be nice if when using the quote feature that it would include a hotlink to the original poster name/profile too, perhaps even a timestamp, so it's not just infinite walls of quoted text with questionable origins...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

Something small that in all likelihood has been brought up pages and pages ago, but.... it would be nice if when using the quote feature that it would include a hotlink to the original poster name/profile too, perhaps even a timestamp, so it's not just infinite walls of quoted text with questionable origins...

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/7297-dynasty-reader-userscripts

joined Apr 2, 2011

OrangePekoe posted:

Meikakuna

This would be a great feature. We've talked a lot in the past about how to increase visibility for licensed works and how to better integrate that reality into the site. I'm afraid that e-mail notifications are a no-go at the moment, but we could attempt to build a thread of licensed work on - or previously on - the site, or something to that effect.

I'd be interested to find out about new commercial yuri publications even if they're not and have never been available on Dynasty.

You might even say it's more important to have it mentioned in a "Commercial English-language Yuri Publications" thread, if the manga doesn't have a presence on Dynasty otherwise. Otherwise you'd need to scour thru Amazon and all the various commercial web manga sites every other month or so. And Amazon's keyword system really isn't geared towards finding yuri manga.

last edited at Aug 31, 2019 1:52PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.