Forum › Posts by Meikakuna

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I feel like the ending with Makoto standing up for Yuuko against Miki read a bit like an r/thathappened story, but it was important for Makoto's development as a character and Makoto crying afterwards added a bit of realism. I quite enjoyed this manga and I hope the artist does more interesting manga about LGBT+ topics. I feel the best part was the bit about Makoto having to dumb down their speech. It was heartbreaking to read because the tears running down their face as they delivered it was so dramatically effective.

Overall the translation was pretty good. The only thing I was confused by was the pronouns, which may have been a translation issue. I get Miki referring to people using the wrong pronouns, but even Yuuko used different pronouns for Makoto in different panels and vice-versa. Maybe the former is to represent Makoto changing preferred pronouns as they come out, but I was left unsure about what pronouns to refer to these characters by (I'm using 'they' just to be safe).

Aside from that, this was really interesting. I liked the artwork too.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Could the site have an email notification when a manga is licensed, similar to the notifications you get when a new chapter comes out? It would be quite difficult for me to constantly check every manga I'm subscribed to or have read to see if one's been licensed.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I get an email notification when there's a new chapter from a subscribed manga/artist and I love this because it's simple and useful. I also like to buy manga when they get licensed and I'm glad that this website says a manga is licensed on the manga's page.

However, if I'm subscribed to a manga, I often don't know it's licensed unless I happen to see it in stores or specifically go on the manga's page here, the latter of which is rare unless I'm reading it at that very moment and am checking how many chapters there are. I don't know how it would be done, but would there be a way for an email notification to be sent whenever a manga gets licensed? It would be very helpful.

I hope this suggestion's in the right spot. If not, please lead me to the right category.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Only Yuri Hime survived. Probably thanks to maga popular Yuru Yuri.

There is also a new independent yuri magazine Galette. Launched last year.

I doubt Yuru Yuri is the only reason. In fact, Yuru Yuri entered in an undefined hiatus.
Yuri Hime is pretty popular nowadays, more than it ever was. They're trying to appeal to all kinds of yuri. Comedy, romance, fantasy, drama, action, etc.

Correction: survived at the time when Tsubomi and Hirari went down, so it was a few years ago. Of course it's only my speculation, but:
1: based only on rankings, number of copies sold, number of followers on Namori's twitter, Three seasons of tv anime, two OVAs and the third in the making. Nothing in Yuri Hime to this day could ever get close to that. Even Citrus is faaaaaaaar behind it.
2: Also, Yuri Hime since 2015 (the first japanese manga magazine in chinese) is aviable in chinese, which is a huge boost for them.
3: Oh, I almost forget about the former editor of Yuri Hime. As much as I hated that guy, his stubbornness and influence on Ichjinisha helped them survive.

But yeah, this year's Yuri Hime is much more interesting (thank you Pine!) than before. Maybe I will start buying this magazine again. This would be my third time :)

Oh yeah, sorry, I interpreted your comment wrong.

But yeah, I agree. It was a dark time for YH on that time. And it didn't get better with the NTR hate and the Yuri Danshi fiasco.
I started buying it since it became monthly and I have to say I wasn't impressed at first. It's amazing how much better the magazine became after they changed the editor. It's not just about having different stories, but they're actual good stories.

I still have problems with some series for lack of progress (TodoIto) or just because how stupid they are (Yume no Naka Kimi wo Sagashiteru). But overall the magazine is great now.

What was the Yuri Danshi fiasco? Are you talking about the Yuri Danshi manga? I thought it was entertaining. Did it get a lot of hate? Or are you talking about the old Yuri Hime slogan “no boys allowed”? I’m guessing you’re talking about the former.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I keep hearing about yuri manga magazines going out of business so I was wondering which ones have survived. The only ones I know of is Yuri Hime and perhaps Yuri Hime Wildrose. Are there any others? As great as Yuri Hime can be, I don't like the idea of one magazine having a monopoly.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

This was adorable! I loved the awkward moments and I feel like the characters had a certain chemistry between them.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I hope there’s a sequel and I hope Robert ends up with someone since they’re a really likeable character. I feel conflicted in saying this, though, since I don’t like the idea of a love interest being a ‘prize’ for a character being nice. This was really cute and there is enough characterisation that I can see these characters being developed in a sequel and being three dimensional.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

It’s back! I was worried this was dropped. And it’s adorable! I’m getting Hanjuku Joshi vibes with the themes of this chapter, such as the girls worrying about their love being a phase.

Meikakuna
Opapagoto discussion 15 Dec 02:25
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Did this manga just become Lesbian Food Wars?

Meikakuna
Image Comments 05 Dec 01:44
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015
49941517_p0

It'd be awesome if someone did fanart of this couple in the old 70s style like they have at the start of each chapter.

Meikakuna
Beloved L discussion 07 Oct 12:51
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Meikakuna posted:

By 'barely 16' do they mean 'just barely 16' or '15'? If it's the latter, this comic did an amazing job of being engaging despite having a really messed up age gap. I'm looking forward to more of this since it kept me interested right from the start. I also like how the sexual scenes were done as they were hinted rather being exploitative, all while still being very clear as to what's going on. The art is gorgeous and the characters are interesting. I need more!

The way you say it makes it look like 16 it's okay but 15 = HOLY SHIT!!!! But I do love it, she wasn't interested because she was underage but because she found her beautiful

Except the way it's presented in the actual comic makes it 16, but she only had her birthday within the past month or so. So she's a lot closer to 15 than 17.

Oh. Okay. Thanks for the clarification!

Meikakuna
Beloved L discussion 07 Oct 12:50
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Meikakuna posted:

By 'barely 16' do they mean 'just barely 16' or '15'? If it's the latter, this comic did an amazing job of being engaging despite having a really messed up age gap. I'm looking forward to more of this since it kept me interested right from the start. I also like how the sexual scenes were done as they were hinted rather being exploitative, all while still being very clear as to what's going on. The art is gorgeous and the characters are interesting. I need more!

The way you say it makes it look like 16 it's okay but 15 = HOLY SHIT!!!! But I do love it, she wasn't interested because she was underage but because she found her beautiful

The age of consent in my country is 16 and while I give myself more leeway for accepting fictional age gaps with someone under 16, I feel less comfortable about a 15 years old or younger person being with someone over 30, even if it is fictional.

There's definitely a debate to be had about the age of consent and this is my perspective (I am aware of my own cultural biases, but they're kinda hard to escape). I also like that she liked her for her rather than just because of their age gap. That should also provide a lot of great drama in the future since the woman is worried about her feelings.

Meikakuna
Beloved L discussion 07 Oct 00:48
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

The characters don't look like adults (though the robot has an excuse), but the art style itself is really cute and I love the ending. This was adorable! I wish this was a series.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

The flute is a pretty good metaphor, and I like how the author didn't cram it down the readers' throats like a lot of other metaphors in yuri manga, which tends to make their metaphors super obvious.

I'm not a fan of the concept of love at first sight, but I still liked their relationship. I also liked the older woman's realistic reaction to being confessed to by a girl for the first time. It feels like this could really happen (aside from the love at first sight part, but that could be attributed to the girl's youth).

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I found myself really liking this one. The romance was sweet, and it feels sort of progressive for the 50s, what with the pre-yuri and the mother getting a job at a trading company.

Meikakuna
Trans Star discussion 06 May 10:10
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

The message about not caring about gender when it comes to love is really nice, but I don't like the implication that changing sex is the same thing as changing gender identity (if my body suddenly became male I wouldn't think of myself as a guy, for intance). Perhaps they could have made it clear that both change with this disease.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Does anyone want to talk about the ending to this manga? That was an unexpected turn for a yuri manga.

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

This was so damn sweet!! I love seeing outcast/bullied characters feel happy. :)

Page 12

Jesus Christ, Marie...

Also "talk about rocks" is now a euphemism, because I am a filthy perv.

Same here. If I asked a girl out by saying, "Let's talk about rocks," how do you think she would react?

This manga was so adorable. I hope to see more from this artist.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I can't decide whether Luka is a loveable dork or a smooth lady. I guess it doesn't matter since the result is the same: an adorable comic!

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

i loved it. as a transwoman myself, it's v comforting to find a manga or anything at all where transwomen are portrayed in a respectful manner. it also gave me 'honey & honey' vibes since it's also an autobiographical and educational manga about people in the lgbt community with a cute and simple art style

I thought the same thing. This made me happier, though, because of the ending of 'Honey & Honey' (I know that's what's going to happen when life has a sad moment and you're trying to be accurate in your autobiography). Both are great.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

I loved this! It was so cute and educational. I hope to see more of Chii's work on this site.

Meikakuna
Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Cute! I need more chapters!

Yya%20background
joined Feb 2, 2015

Kyouko is just.... a fluffy ball of snow or a polar bear.... I wish I was Sayaka so I could give this ball of adorableness a hug! (Though for me it would be a friendship hug since I don't have Sayaka's feelings for Kyouko, no matter how adorable she is)

This is a really cute story.