Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Made me like Dragon Age 2 retroactivelly.

I thought I was crazy for thinking that too considering how Dragon Age 2 was hated on release.

I really disliked Dragon Age II at launch, but when I replayed it after playing Inquisituon (started a whole new DAO save too because its been years so I wanted to play all the DA games back to back) I really enjoyed it. In a trashy sorta way. I knew all the gameplay and map and story issues already, but this time I played it as a overblown story told by Varric and you know, it was enjoyable. Still really dumb (Anderd what did they do with you) but it was dumb fun and it played mostly like DAO while DAI plays too differently for me to enjoy it.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't so bad. Its main issue is that it was a rush job to release it soon after origin, which lead to corner cutting such as reusing an awful lot of the assets, especially the maps.

It had the benefit of finally dropping the Bioware narrative pattern of having a short intro, 4 "main" parts that could be done in any order, then one mission/quest that might allowed to ditch the last "main" one leading to the conclusion. They overused it for almost all of their games after neverwinter's nights that introduced it, so I was happy that they finally stopped doing that, it made their games kinda predictable.

The maps are the worst thing because they would use the exact same map for multiple different areas but just block off hallways with like giant slabs of concrete.

The gameplays is also too flashy. I liked the more methodical feel of DAO but DA2 isn't as bad as I remember it being.

DX11 mode is broken om Nvidia cards though so the game looks kinda ugly in DX9 mode.

last edited at Dec 2, 2016 11:43AM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

The one thing I liked the most about Dragon Age 2 was the change from a big epic story that involved your party moving around the map, into a much more contained one (in one city) but stretched out over years. Obviously this partly lead to the terrible overuse of the same assets, but I appreciated the new format. I felt somewhat closer to the party members since my character apparently were friends with them for...6 years, was it? story wise, Dragon Age 2 was the one that took up the most time.

And I swear Dragon Age 2 felt longer than Inquisition. There. I finally said it. Inquisition felt really short, it was like there was mostly padding in-between story missions that were at most around 5-7 hours when you stitch them together.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

As many have said before, the name hurt the game too. Calling it Dragon Age II instead of Dragon Age: Kirkwall made it seem like the game was going to be grander than Origins. II has a similar feel as Awakening did size wize and that was an expansion pack.

More games need to try the small conflict thing as it lets the story feel more intimate instead of everything being end of the world conflicts so sequels have to one up it with end of the universe conflicts.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

The one thing I liked the most about Dragon Age 2 was the change from a big epic story that involved your party moving around the map, into a much more contained one (in one city) but stretched out over years. Obviously this partly lead to the terrible overuse of the same assets, but I appreciated the new format.

Yes and no. Reusing the same textures decorations made sense, as you said, but the main issue caused by the rushing of the game is that they kept reusing whole maps, just changing the entry point, blocking and opening some path in some weak attempt to made them look slightly differents. Every single cave around Kirkwal had pretty much the same layout, with very few variations. It's kind of fine when you don't try to do most of the content, but if you do, it becomes painfully obvious that althoug you're supposed to go to some other place, it looks exactly like all the previous similar place you went.

If anything, DA2 is a perfect exemple of why level design is important and why it shouldn't be rushed. Had they took the time to make a few more layouts to add some variety and spread the repetitions a bit more, I think that there might have been a bit less complains about the game.

but like you, I enjoyed the fact that the story stayed mostly in Kirkwall and spanned many years, it was always nice to go have a chat with the party to learn what happened over the years. Plus, dating Merryl was awesome just to piss off the neighborhood. :D

joined Jan 8, 2016

Someone clench the cynic inside of me.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

I really wasn't a fan of the skipping years part of DA2, but I did appreciate the game itself more when I played it as it's own game and not a sequel to Origins. Yeah the repetitive levels were annoying, but I liked the world still, small as it felt. Inquisition was boring. Very, very boring. Just felt like a grind. I never even finished the game, put about 15-20 hours into it hoping for more and never got it. Main story was only a few hours, the awful real-time map missions, the characters felt hollow... Very disappointed.

I had a whole rant written out but... not worth it. Maybe I'm just left behind in video games. I've never played tabletop, might be the time to get into it.

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

The Last of Us 2 trailer has been announced.

Ellie is all grown up and looks badass. She is talking about some revenge.

Did someone kill her girlfriend?

I'm interested. Will they go canon lesbian way with her or change her to bisexual?

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

I'm interested. Will they go canon lesbian way with her or change her to bisexual?

They never said she was a lesbian, so they wouldn't actually "change" it. I doubt the game will have any romance though.
Anyway, it's probably my favorite game on the PS3, so I'm hyped.

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

They never said she was a lesbian, so they wouldn't actually "change" it. I doubt the game will have any romance though.

What i mean so far they have "shown" her as a lesbian. But yeah no romane was involved in first game so i won't mind if the second one also won't have it.

I'm hyped too. Instant buy from me.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

So i finished Final Fantasy XV, kinda rushed a bit at some point to get through the story and i kind of wish i didn't do that 'cause messing around doing quests, going through the optional dungeons, fishing around and what-not is really fun, but the main story was reeeally poorly told, it shares the same problem as Type-0 of shit not being explained properly or shit just happening out of nowhere with no build up or any kind of leading into it whatsoever, really a shame
Fortunately i'm from a rare breed that plays games for the gameplay and on that front it only really disappoints is the lack of difficulty (Or should i say, the difficulty of the main stuff, 'cause today i've been through this cave and base invasion that complETELY kicked my ass)

So in short if anyone is still thinking about getting it, play it if you want a comfy time on the road with some bros, it does that really well! Don't play it if you're just expecting a story of epic proportions, it falls flat in that regard

last edited at Dec 5, 2016 4:01PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wtv posted:

There is a DLC where she is show to be lesbian and is flirting/kissing other girl. So for now she is canonically a lesbian.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Wtv posted:

There is a DLC where she is show to be lesbian and is flirting/kissing other girl. So for now she is canonically a lesbian.

Yeah, but they never said she's a lesbian, so she could be bi yet without "changing" anything.
I do believe she's a lesbian, though. There's a part in the main game where she looks a gay magazine with not interest at all. She even says she wanted to understand what's so interesting about that.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So in short if anyone is still thinking about getting it, play it if you want a comfy time on the road with some bros, it does that really well! Don't play it if you're just expecting a story of epic proportions, it falls flat in that regard

Wait, it's supposed to be an epic fantasy? From everything I've seen, I thought it was an advanced cooking simulator.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Wait, it's supposed to be an epic fantasy? From everything I've seen, I thought it was an advanced cooking simulator.

More like Fishing Simulator 2016, spent like 5 minutes struggling against this 2 meters 90 kilos badarse motherfucker that put my adrenaline into high gear
I need a cigar

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

and on that front it only really disappoints is the lack of difficulty

That framerate though. Since they actually talked about a PC port at one point, I'll wait and see where that leads to.

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Wtv posted:

Yeah, but they never said she's a lesbian, so she could be bi yet without "changing" anything.
I do believe she's a lesbian, though. There's a part in the main game where she looks a gay magazine with not interest at all. She even says she wanted to understand what's so interesting about that.

That was a straight adult magzine -_-

Not to mention she even said with disappointing that were boys and dresses only concern for girls?

So yeah thats that.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Wtv posted:

That was a straight adult magzine -_-

Not to mention she even said with disappointing that were boys and dresses only concern for girls?

So yeah thats that.

Uh, no, it was a magazine for gay guys. I'm not really sure what you're saying in your second sentence, but I would agree with Wtv that it's still entirely possible that she's bisexual and not gay. Though ND didn't really give us much info about that so it can really go either way at this point. I suppose that it'd be the exact opposite of all that bi erasure stuff happening nowadays.

last edited at Dec 6, 2016 12:40AM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

So I apparently was playing Dishonored 2 on a handicap the entire time. I only just now learned that being unable to 'hold' the far reach ability was a bug of sorts on my end. That inability made stealth much more of a pain since I can't plan out where to blink. Oh well. At least there's sort of a reason to replay this game again.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Wrong. They said in an interview that Ellie is in fact gay.

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Just completed Final Fantasy 15 main story.

It's so sad yet still bittersweet and epic :'(

Really nice to see play such an amazing game. One of fav. of all time behind Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

last edited at Dec 6, 2016 11:37PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Really nice to see play such an amazing game. One of fav. of all time behind Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

What picture did you choose?

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

the very first pic of us 4 with the car at Ciny's station

and here i was hoping Noct could marry Iris after devastated by Luna's death. Poor Noct and Ignis too :'(

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

and here i was hoping Noct could marry Iris after devastated by Luna's death. Poor Noct and Ignis too :'(

Saw a video of a guy who picked a photo of Iris, it was priceless to see Luna picking it up in the end
Also this is probably my favorite photo from my gallery, also the only one i got while using Arminger

last edited at Dec 7, 2016 1:06AM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Saw a video of a guy who picked a photo of Iris, it was priceless to see Luna picking it up in the end
Also this is probably my favorite photo from my gallery, also the only one i got while using Arminger

spirit of Luna looking at Iris and her husband ? Hahaha. I was going to pick up picture with Iris too. But then again I didn't want to pick up a fight with Gladios

Mine was somewhat close to this

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1542115/final-fantasy-15-group-selfie.png.

Arminger? Didn't fought him.

last edited at Dec 7, 2016 1:13AM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel is a 2D fighting game out now on steam if anyone cares. It has a lesbian playable character from one of Nitroplus' visual novels "Tokyo Necro" who is actually one of the two protagonists of that game.

last edited at Dec 8, 2016 1:15PM

This topic has been locked.