Forum › Holy Girl Paradigm discussion

joined Nov 11, 2013

All of Morishima Akiko's comics are really confusing

New%20pic2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Also, I kind of knew the class rep. would have a girlfriend even though she said she was straight.

Yuri has the power to do that to people

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

I hope it doesn't turn out that most girls were secretly lesbians. The first chapter breaking the cliche a little bit was more intersting.

Still, I liked the serious approach it had towards a gay couple born inside a closed environment. Can it still survive when in the real world? There are a lot of mangas that just show the moment, a high school romance tha the author themselves make you aware it won't last, and it is quite frankly the most common scenario in real life, too. Personally, my favorite setting has at least a single last scene showing the couple continuing during adulthood (if it's the entire manga like Wife & Wife then all the better). I love to see the confirmation that it was something real, and luckily Morishima has provided quite a lot of these before.

last edited at Dec 22, 2013 9:27PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I hope it doesn't turn out that most girls were secretly lesbians. The first chapter breaking the cliche a little bit was more intersting.

Still, I liked the serious approach it had towards a gay couple born inside a closed environment. Can it still survive when in the real world? There are a lot of mangas that just show the moment, a high school romance tha the author themselves make you aware it won't last, and it is quite frankly the most common scenario in real life, too. Personally, my favorite setting has at least a single last scene showing the couple continuing during adulthood (if it's the entire manga like Wife & Wife then all the better). I love to see the confirmation that it was something real, and luckily Morishima has provided quite a lot of these before.

I know what you mean... now that you say that, I've noticed that my lists don't have much of that. School life with confirmation:
(Not counting one-shots, non-originals, nor really short stories...)

Notes From The Garden Of Lilies <- There is an extra that makes it all so good.
Cross Heart <- final chapters are after school life/graduation.
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter <- has one story of 2 who are working at the school.
Wife & Wife <- of course, this is the best! xD
+Most of morishima's works.

List is quite short...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I know what you mean... now that you say that, I've noticed that my lists don't have much of that. School life with confirmation:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter <- has one story of 2 who are working at the school.
List is quite short...

There's a brief post-graduation postscript in Sasameki Koto that confirms they stay together that you can add.

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

... Even though I want to see the post-graduation of Sasameki, I just don't feel like it since I didn't want za ending. Or perhaps, how it ended.

I guess I'll reread Zenryaku, Yuri no Sono Yori to kill some time and prepare myself into cramming lots of study materials in less than a week, finishing up all the homework, no Yuri or anything that's anime-related, and no League of Legends. Ah, such hellish week.

joined Jan 4, 2014

List is quite short...

Candy by Yuhuko Suzuki and of course Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk come to mind. And certainly seconding the Sasameki Koto comment as well.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Are... are chapters getting shorter with each new one?
Anyways, is it just me or is Morishima's art getting slicker and cleaner?

Lol, those 2 last pages.

New%20pic2
joined Jul 6, 2012

I wanna poke them too...

Luci%20skyline%20(icon%20200)
joined Feb 28, 2013

Are... are chapters getting shorter with each new one?
Anyways, is it just me or is Morishima's art getting slicker and cleaner?

Lol, those 2 last pages.

I've noticed Morishima's art has really been refined lately. I'm really loving it, plus I notice her characters are suffering less from same face syndrome than from her earlier work.

I reread the earlier chapters, and there's something that makes me grin like a goober in this (and in Lapis-Lazuli Blue Dream), the whole "synchronized activity" panels; the dancing in this, and the aerobics in LLBD. I don't know why I love it so much.

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

It has been a while since I last fangirl'd this hard.

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

I don't really like the "I used to live in America, so I'm fine with kissing my friends," thing. It's just such a cliche excuse, and not very accurate to boot. That kind of stuff is just not common.

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

Maria-sama was sweating cuz of school girls romance.
I laughed at the scene :D

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

I don't really like the "I used to live in America, so I'm fine with kissing my friends," thing. It's just such a cliche excuse, and not very accurate to boot. That kind of stuff is just not common.

ahh soooo agree!!! it is sooooo stupid! NOT ACCURATE AT ALL! lol. i grew up in the nw of US and i- NEVER see ANYBODY just kissing their friends like that. MAYBE a family member, and certainly between parent and child when they are young, you know, not even between siblings. it's always an adult to a younger family member. but still in my experience very very rare. It is SUCH an overused cliche to use as an excuse to have 2 characters kiss, so sick and tired of it. and tbh? downgrades my opinion of an author when i see it used :/

oh and, for starting out saying all of the girls are straight, there sure are a lot of couples starting to show up. way to go back on your word lol.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

ahh soooo agree!!! it is sooooo stupid! NOT ACCURATE AT ALL! lol. i grew up in the nw of US and i- NEVER see ANYBODY just kissing their friends like that. MAYBE a family member, and certainly between parent and child when they are young, you know, not even between siblings. it's always an adult to a younger family member. but still in my experience very very rare. It is SUCH an overused cliche to use as an excuse to have 2 characters kiss, so sick and tired of it. and tbh? downgrades my opinion of an author when i see it used :/

oh and, for starting out saying all of the girls are straight, there sure are a lot of couples starting to show up. way to go back on your word lol.

Well, to be fair America is the whole continent. And in some places in Latin America is fairly common to greet people with a kiss. Even between males.
It's usually more a cheek to cheek but count as kissing greeting.
It's pretty ankward when one tries to kiss and the other tries to shake hands. Like when to people face each other in the street and both tries to sidestep to the same direction. =P

Anyways, lovely chapter!!! I love the extreme blushing of Masami and Midori. They're so cute!!!
I can't wait to read another chapter. This is cute beyond words!!
I just hope that Aoi doesn't make Riri suffer too much with the teasing!! Fighto Riri!!!

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Well, to be fair America is the whole continent. And in some places in Latin America is fairly common to greet people with a kiss. Even between males.

I live in Brazil and i can confirm that
Not the between male part though, that's news to me

Petit_yuri-hime_2010_cover
joined May 27, 2013

I live in Brazil too, and is pretty common for people to hug and kiss family and friends, sometimes even strangers , it's kind weird when you don't like to do these things.

last edited at Mar 14, 2014 7:59AM

joined Aug 8, 2013

downgrades my opinion of an author when i see it used :/

Because of anecdotal evidence you collected in NW Bumblefuck, USA? Yeah, I'm sure that's an accurate assessment of how 300 million people behave and justifies judging an author's writing when you yourself can't even manage proper capitalization. Grow up.

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

downgrades my opinion of an author when i see it used :/

Because of anecdotal evidence you collected in NW Bumblefuck, USA? Yeah, I'm sure that's an accurate assessment of how 300 million people behave and justifies judging an author's writing when you yourself can't even manage proper capitalization. Grow up.

Now now, no need to judge a person's personal experiences. They are the epitome of what shapes their view of the world after all.

Luci%20skyline%20(icon%20200)
joined Feb 28, 2013

I was raised and spent most of my life in Ohio, and my friends and I always do kiss greetings and farewells, even the straight girls.

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

I was raised and spent most of my life in Ohio, and my friends and I always do kiss greetings and farewells, even the straight girls.

I gave it a bit of thought later and came to the conclusion that what I dislike isn't really that it's wrong per say. I realized that there are differences in communities even in the same state. Case in point: I remembered meeting someone in college that told me about how all the girls back home would just casually go skinny dipping, take a shower together, and just be casually nude around each other (in the absence of males) and thinking that it was just bizarre. But, that seemed to be fairly normal for them.

What I really don't like is the generalization of it along with the cliche and convenience. First, as evidenced even in this thread, it's not very specific about where she was. We don't even know if it was the U.S., Latin America, or any other place on two entire continents (granted, the default does tend to be U.S. when saying just "America", but even with that it's a pretty big country.) Next, the cliche part is reason in itself. Sometimes I just find myself being inexplicably irritated with such cliches that I had formerly been perfectly okay with; I think it happens more with the more I add to what I've read, I'm subconsciously searching for more variance. The convenience part is similar to the cliche, it's a literary device that gets the job done. But really, when you go back to a different culture (especially one that you're familiar with) it's a bit difficult to believe that it'd just slip your mind that people don't generally kiss each other outside family or romantic relationships.

TL;DR: There are places where people do kiss as a casual greeting. This was just kinda cliche and it bothered me a bit.
Now off to bed with me, people shouldn't let me type things past 2 in the morning, just look at the result.

Ymir%20x%20christa%20portrait
joined Jul 26, 2011

I live in Brazil too, and is pretty common for people to hug and kiss family and friends, sometimes even strangers , it's kind weird when you don't like to do these things.

Argentina and France are some of the countries where the male kissing thing is not that rare.

last edited at Mar 15, 2014 5:32AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Adding onto everyone

Every time they say "America", I always feel like they're saying the "US". I wish I didn't think like that.
But anyway, I live in California (and close to where all the gay prides are at) but I haven't actually seen too much kissing or anything like that between close (female) friends. Hugging and saying "love ya" is very common between adolescent females though.

Still, it irks me every time authors use the "I lived in ____, so I do this and that". Especially when they get it wrong.

last edited at Mar 16, 2014 10:50PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Adding onto everyone

Every time they say "America", I always feel like they're saying the "US". I wish I didn't think like that.

http://youtu.be/29g57XTYgLE

Seems appropriate here.

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

Mother of kawaii~
The story is as cute as author's draw :o

To reply you must either login or sign up.