Forum › How to Break a Triangle discussion

joined Apr 10, 2023

I think there’s a reason for that self loathing still. I’m still suspicious that Erika was somehow responsible for Aya disappearing in the first place. Not in like an active way, but I strongly suspect she made a tanbata wish for Aya to disappear…and it worked. She then, possibly, wished her back when she saw Koto couldn’t move on.

Same here, and if that were true, it'd say quite a lot about Erika. I mean, I'd expect she'd wish Aya back right when she realized these Tanabata work, not only when it's convenient for her.

I get why people love Erika so much, but it's such an ick for me looking at how she thinks of Aya. A lot of horrible things happened to Aya, but all she can think of is Koto. Aya is her rival, but they're still friends, it's not like they're enemy, but Erika has very little concern for her. It's sad Aya thinks of Erika as such a good friend, but for Erika, not that much.

You're giving Erika's negative self talk way too much credit wrt her feelings about Aya. She's very good friends with her, absolutely a better friend to her than Koto, she just also feels guilty about being in 'competition' with her because she's a "winning feels bad if it means someone else had to lose :(" kind of person.

joined May 28, 2018

You're giving Erika's negative self talk way too much credit wrt her feelings about Aya. She's very good friends with her, absolutely a better friend to her than Koto, she just also feels guilty about being in 'competition' with her because she's a "winning feels bad if it means someone else had to lose :(" kind of person.

Erika's negative self talk is actually what make her a little more likeable to me, and I don't talk about it. I'm talking about how Erika only tried to bring Aya back when she realized that Koto couldn't move on (give that the Tanbata theory were true). And also, when Aya disappeared, Erika only care about how Koto feels, she doesn't really think of Aya's safety. To her, Aya only serves the purpose to have Koto move on, she doesn't care about Aya as a person.

last edited at Jun 10, 2024 1:09AM

joined Oct 24, 2023

It's so hilarious that you see her this way. I'm not saying you are wrong but l hold the opposite opinions to you.

If anything, Erika loves competition because from the very start, she claimed she is gonna get the lead role and doesn't want to lose again. She hates to be a loser that's why she is so jealous of Aya, a girl who is ten times better than her in every ways and she never really catches up with.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Erika's negative self talk is actually what make her a little more likeable to me, and I don't talk about it. I'm talking about how Erika only tried to bring Aya back when she realized that Koto couldn't move on (give that the Tanbata theory were true). And also, when Aya disappeared, Erika only care about how Koto feels, she doesn't really think of Aya's safety. To her, Aya only serves the purpose to have Koto move on, she doesn't care about Aya as a person.

Ehhh this headcanon that Erika a) has in some way the power to make someone disappear and reappear and b) can be blamed for using it feels really off and not fitting how she's characterized. Even if she did make a Tanabata wish for Aya to go away, she'd feel guilty but rationalize it as an awful coincidence, because that's just how people deal with one-off supernatural-seeming experiences. And if she made a second wish for Aya to come back seven years later and THAT worked? I think it would be dominating her internal monologue over whatever else she could be thinking of, especially since Aya's unchanging age makes this hard to explain away. Since she's not going around thinking "what the fuck why do my wishes come true am I like a witch or something oh my God I ruined someone's life with magic powers oh god aaaaaaaaaa" I wouldn't expect her to have anything in particular to do with Aya's weird happening.

If anyone made a magic wish that resulted in Aya disappearing, it was Aya herself. They stress how much she wants to go away, when she's back she's relieved her grandad is dead, and she's emotionally dealing with what happened far better than anyone expected, which would make sense if she got what she wanted.

last edited at Jun 10, 2024 5:33AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

It's so hilarious that you see her this way. I'm not saying you are wrong but l hold the opposite opinions to you.

If anything, Erika loves competition because from the very start, she claimed she is gonna get the lead role and doesn't want to lose again. She hates to be a loser that's why she is so jealous of Aya, a girl who is ten times better than her in every ways and she never really catches up with.

Well yeah, everything changed when Aya disappeared. She saw someone experience a losing that was a prerequisite to her winning, and hated how that felt.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Looking back on the first few chapters, if you want an explanation or attribution for why Aya disappeared, the most likely clue we've got is the bell tied to Aya's left wrist. She's wearing it from the very first panel we see her in, with it having a "ding" sound effect to draw your attention to it, when she reappears it's announced with more dings, and she's continued wearing it all the way up to the most recent chapter. I'm not confident in what kind of cultural signifier that is and looking it up online is useless (like most searches these days ughhhh), but there's no way it's not important.
Also we see Erika in chapter 8 actually writing a Tanabata for Aya to come back, but she calls it absurd while doing so. Not sure she's even remembered doing it, because the far bigger absurdity in front of her lol. It certainly wasn't on her mind at the start of chapter 2, where she seems very openly baffled by seeing Aya, having to confirm with Koto that that really happened.

I really don't think this story has any sort of villain, nor any sort of actual culpability. Just three people with flaws and traits, trying to do their best.

joined May 28, 2018

Ehhh this headcanon that Erika a) has in some way the power to make someone disappear and reappear and b) can be blamed for using it feels really off and not fitting how she's characterized. Even if she did make a Tanabata wish for Aya to go away, she'd feel guilty but rationalize it as an awful coincidence, because that's just how people deal with one-off supernatural-seeming experiences. And if she made a second wish for Aya to come back seven years later and THAT worked? I think it would be dominating her internal monologue over whatever else she could be thinking of, especially since Aya's unchanging age makes this hard to explain away. Since she's not going around thinking "what the fuck why do my wishes come true am I like a witch or something oh my God I ruined someone's life with magic powers oh god aaaaaaaaaa" I wouldn't expect her to have anything in particular to do with Aya's weird happening.

Yeah, which is why I have to state it everytime I make a comment about Erika: "IF that Tanbata theory were true". Again, she could still had done it and actually went around thinking of herself having magic, the author just chose not to show us yet for the plot twist sake, like how we know that Aya had a little meeting with Erika right before the festival, but what the meeting was about? Erika knows it, but we don't, it's not the time for us to know yet.

Tanbata theory aside, my opinion about how little Erika think of Aya still stands.

I really don't think this story has any sort of villain, nor any sort of actual culpability. Just three people with flaws and traits, trying to do their best.

I agree.

last edited at Jun 10, 2024 9:00AM

Username%20dyn%20tirkiz
joined Dec 23, 2018

Erika.
Why she is acting like she does, despite her own jealousy and envy?
Righteousness or redemption?

(redemption in case if she really made Aya disappear 7 years ago
and by it she collaterally damaged and f-up person she loves)

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I feel like Erika could be such a good girlfriend for Koto, if Koto could give her a chance. Erika strikes me as a very patient person, so she could tolerate Koto's selfishness. I enjoyed the cute date in the most recent chapter, and the lock screens :)

joined Sep 29, 2021

Why does everyone hate Erica so much? I’ve always found Koto to be the weirdest out of the three since she decided to be in a relationship with Aya when she is still technically 14-15 in both mind and body (everyone sees her as a teen, not as a college student she’s supposed to be according to the age she “time travelled?” to)

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Why does everyone hate Erica so much?

Everyone? Maybe it's just you're selectively reading anti-Erika comments? I feel like there's more comments supportive of Erika than critical of her.

I’ve always found Koto to be the weirdest out of the three since she decided to be in a relationship with Aya when she is still technically 14-15 in both mind and body

Yeah I wonder if this will come back around again. I recall when she first started spending time around Aya, Koto's initial thoughts were that she seemed like a kid (or something along those line) but then I guess that stopped being a concern for her?

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

Yeah I wonder if this will come back around again. I recall when she first started spending time around Aya, Koto's initial thoughts were that she seemed like a kid (or something along those line) but then I guess that stopped being a concern for her?

Given how ch12 ended, it has most definitely not stopped being a concern for her.

I'm glad ch12.5 happened and we get to see Erika just being gay. Needed a palate cleanser after 12.

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 12:14PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

After reading chapter 12.5 I want to kill Koto for ignoring Erika's feelings and being obsessed with Aya.

Ah but if I kill Koto then Erika would be heartbroken so I can't do it. Damn.

All I can do is keep hoping for the best. Aya obviously doesn't recognize the Koto she liked in this grown-up woman who wants to make her into a pet; she did the right thing when she ran away. She needs to meet more people, new people, find more places where she can belong (just like Erika said), not isolate herself from the world. Things between Koto and Aya can only go downhill from now on. Give it a little time and maybe Koto will start looking at Erika in another way.

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 12:57PM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

All I can do is keep hoping for the best. Aya obviously doesn't recognize the Koto she liked in this grown-up woman who wants to make her into a pet; she did the right thing when she ran away.

It makes me wonder if the author is intentionally telegraphing the start of Aya having a crush on Erika with the timing of events this chapter.
First Erika is responsible for one of the best things that's happened to Aya since she returned (reintroduction to acting) and then Aya has that terrible confrontation with Koto and is likely running away to Erika's apartment.

Give it a little time and maybe Koto will start looking at Erika in another way.

Don't know if that's likely with how obsessed Koto is acting.

Username%20dyn%20tirkiz
joined Dec 23, 2018

It makes me wonder if the author is intentionally telegraphing the start of Aya having a crush on Erika with the timing of events this chapter.

I was thinking the same. That way real triangle would be formed:
Aya into Erika, Erika into Koto, Koto into Aya
(I was also thinking that Aya left Koto and now goes to Erika)

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 1:55PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I'm surprised there are still people who want Erika to get together with Koto. It doesn't feel like that's where the story is going but who knows.

Anyway, I just read chapter 13 and 14 with the help of google translation. Hopefully we'll get a proper translation here soon so we can talk about it. Those two chapters are easily my favorite so far because a lot of stuff is finally revealed.

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 2:14PM

joined Oct 24, 2023

After reading chapter 12.5 I want to kill Koto for ignoring Erika's feelings and being obsessed with Aya.

WTF
There's just nothing wrong for not choosing someone YOU DON'T LIKE in romantic way.
It wouldn't be good anyways if Koto be with Erika but still not loves her.

Like l said before, Erika fans is blaming Koto for not looking in her direction, which is fucking ridiculous. Erika's inability of moving on from someone is totally Erika's fault.

But now YOU WANT TO KILL HER???
FUCK.
If there's anyone who should be killed, it would be Erika. I have noticed the storyline can be fine without her since Aya and Koto loves each other. There's no Erika fucking business so maybe she doesn't even worth to exist from the start.

Ah but if I kill Koto then Erika would be heartbroken so I can't do it. Damn.

I want to kill Erika now because she would be heart broken anyways, and I don't give a damn about her, just like your fucking logic.

All I can do is keep hoping for the best. Aya obviously doesn't recognize the Koto she liked in this grown-up woman who wants to make her into a pet; she did the right thing when she ran away. She needs to meet more people, new people, find more places where she can belong (just like Erika said), not isolate herself from the world. Things between Koto and Aya can only go downhill from now on. Give it a little time and maybe Koto will start looking at Erika in another way.

See. I'm right.
Erika's fans only see Aya as an OBSTACLE and all they fucking cares is when is Aya going to fuck off so Erika can finally have a chance.

Why does everyone hate Erica so much? I’ve always found Koto to be the weirdest out of the three since she decided to be in a relationship with Aya when she is still technically 14-15 in both mind and body (everyone sees her as a teen, not as a college student she’s supposed to be according to the age she “time travelled?” to)

If anything, l feel like l am surrounded by bunch of Erika's crazy fans in this forum.

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 6:51PM

joined Oct 24, 2023

I'm surprised there are still people who want Erika to get together with Koto. It doesn't feel like that's where the story is going but who knows.

Yeah, and it doesn't feel like Aya will be interested in Erika in any kind of that matters. Tbh, Erika is not good enough for my girl anyway.
On the other hand, Koto might be possessive but somehow I can see myself in her. I would at least give her a chance to get things right with Aya.

Anyway, I just read chapter 13 and 14 with the help of google translation. Hopefully we'll get a proper translation here soon so we can talk about it. Those two chapters are easily my favorite so far because a lot of stuff is finally revealed.

I like that two chapters a lot.
Aya's maturity is built up for some goddamn reasons. I really want to hug her now.
It also confirmed my theory why Aya would fall for Koto.
The girl obviously didn't have feelings for Koto at first but can't help being attracted to her after Koto's first confession, which l believe they are really made for each other.

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 9:00PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Calm down, this is just a manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is just my periodic reminder that back in school Aya had the upper hand over both of the other two: to Erika she was the rival (on multiple levels) who she could never beat, and to Koto she was the longed-for love object.

Obviously, on her return at first she was disoriented and dependent on others. But her framing and body language is increasingly becoming closer to what it was back in the day.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/how_to_break_a_triangle_ch12#23

joined Jan 14, 2020

Interesting!

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Since, it's implied that Aya was either being abused or at the very least had a bad home life. Even if Erika had something to do with her time skip and Aya found out, I think Aya might actually be thankful that Erika "saved" her from that situation. That's just a possible guess, in my opinion.

joined May 28, 2018

Erika's fans only see Aya as an OBSTACLE and all they fucking cares is when is Aya going to fuck off so Erika can finally have a chance.

Erika's fans: Koto is the worst, Aya should run away from her as fast as she can.
Also Erika's fans: Why couldn't Koto realize Erika's feelings and give her a chance? I'm so mad at Koto.

Since, it's implied that Aya was either being abused or at the very least had a bad home life. Even if Erika had something to do with her time skip and Aya found out, I think Aya might actually be thankful that Erika "saved" her from that situation. That's just a possible guess, in my opinion.

It's possible, but I doubt it. Her home life is the only good thing in this world. In her original world, she was the star of the school, having the upper hand over her rival (Erika) was a given, and she had a nice girlfriend. Now, most of the people she knows have become strangers, she is just a child compared to Erika, and her girlfriend became like... this.

last edited at Jun 14, 2024 4:38AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

You should try to hold out and wait for the high quality version Rehashed Scans is working on instead of settling for trash mtl.

joined Oct 24, 2023

I have to say unless you can read Japanese.
It's unavoidable that even high quality translation have its own comprehension from the translator sometimes. (Which is understandable)

But l do agree google translation is trash lol.

last edited at Jun 12, 2024 9:06PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.