Forum › Milady Looked Extremely Troubled When Her Engagement was Annulled, so I Stepped In to Help Her discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Yeah the plot was messy since it's a one shot and we aren't given much background, but the ending was sweet none the less

joined Jul 26, 2016

but the ending was sweet none the less

I don't recall seeing anything about the engagement being called off you know. So Milady's still scheduled for a political marriage to a vain, overprivileged idiot who disliked her to begin with and now doubtless outright hates her.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

I don't recall seeing anything about the engagement being called off you know. So Milady's still scheduled for a political marriage to a vain, overprivileged idiot who disliked her to begin with and now doubtless outright hates her.

Did you even read the title? "...Her Engagement was Annulled..."

joined Jul 26, 2016

It's what the dumbass prince declares.

Which is completely irrelevant if the King and the ducal family don't happen to agree, which is likely because lolpolitics.

joined Mar 16, 2018

I seriously want this anthology for my own copy xD

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

It's what the dumbass prince declares.

Which is completely irrelevant if the King and the ducal family don't happen to agree, which is likely because lolpolitics.

Milady Looked Extremely Troubled When Her Engagement was Annulled, so I Stepped In to Help Her.
"But You're Just A Random-Ass maid." They Said.
"Oh," I Replied, and Stepped Out.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Ignoring the fact that the author intends for Shelphie and the maid to be together and harping on about, "but it wasn't really annulled" seems kind of ridiculous. It was a short one-shot, probably with an agreed-upon page limit since it was an anthology, and the author either didn't feel the need to go into the specifics of the actual annulment or didn't have the space. I have no problem believing this is an alternate universe where Shelphie could just say, "I'm not marrying that man," to her father and his reply would be, "ok."

joined Jul 26, 2016

^reminder about explicit text around that topic. Take it up with the author for throwing that stuff in and then never having the King call it off.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

^ While I agree that the engagement was never textually called off, this page seems to suggest that there's nothing to be gained from it, and this one adds that the Prince will be punished. While I doubt he'll be disinherited or exiled, the fact remains that going through with the marriage would be both humiliating and pointless. The King, being a pragmatic and honest sort of fellow who isn't afraid to lose face by punishing the Prince instead of, say, framing the heiress, would probably see sense and try to arrange an alternate engagement.

Sure, you could suggest that once the Prince becomes King, he'll have the duke's daughter and her maid framed or tortured or publicly executed in revenge (assuming they aren't smart enough to leave the country by then), but seeing as this story is already chock-full of cliched tropes and contrived writing, we might as well do the author's work for them and toss 'generic happy ending' atop the pile.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Take it up with the author for throwing that stuff in and then never having the King call it off.

I won't, because it honestly doesn't bother me enough to care.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Ducal families weren't the sort of thing you pissed off willy-nilly even if you were a ruling King you know. Those guys were right below the monarchs on the aristocratic totem pole and more to the point before modern centralised states were more often than not practically minor kings themselves in all but name, who could go to open war against their nominal suzerain and win.

Shit - at least one (William the Bastard of Normandy, better known as "the Conqueror") went and conquered himself a whole kingdom on the side which resulted in some pretty complicated feudal relations down the road.

Which would be the "lolpolitics" I referred to earlier. By the sounds of it this match was arranged between the King and the Purpleices for strategic reasons and both oughta have a decent bit of political capital riding on it. The Heir Apparent publicly outing himself as a complete tool isn't particularly going to change the calculus, as his questionable intellect would be an open secret in the court anyway.

You might also note that on the same page Shelphie sighs and mutters about the Maid's "optimism" rather implying it's not nearly as simple as she claims. Something similar can be inferred from the fact that the Prince seems to find it necessary to level fairly serious charges (practically amounting to attempted homicide) against Shelphie in his harebrained gambit to get the engagement annulled implying he can't just nix it without serious leverage either.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

(◔_◔)

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

can we just say it was a sweet ending PLEASE? I need more positives in my life right now, not theories and realness that makes me feel worse

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Wow, there's someone here who's racist enough to mock Alaska Natives by appropriating totem poles, while unable to comprehend which part of the structure matters.

@DR2 Hajime Hinata: It is a good ending. There is no need to be fooled by someone who hides behind smart-sounding nonsense to get away with looking down on everyone else.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Wow, there's someone here who's racist enough to mock Alaska Natives by appropriating totem poles, while unable to comprehend which part of the structure matters.

It was a figure of speech. It's neither useful nor necessary to refer to another person that way.

This is seriously horseshit. Get some help.

This is never an acceptable thing to say. I'd highly advise you don't do it again.

last edited at Dec 8, 2020 1:51PM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I apologize for my anger. This does need to stop, though.

joined Jul 26, 2016

@DR2 Hajime Hinata: It is a good ending. There is no need to be fooled by someone who hides behind smart-sounding nonsense to get away with looking down on everyone else.

That's a lot of gratuitous ad hominems and absolutely zero arguments of substance. Your :contribution: has been duly noted, ignored.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

What your totem pole analogy literally says is that the king is the least important person in the kingdom, & dukes are slightly less unimportant than him. What do you mean by that?

joined Jul 26, 2016

What your totem pole analogy literally says is that the king is the least important person in the kingdom, & dukes are slightly less unimportant than him. What do you mean by that?

I can only wonder if you quite understand just how silly this vain attempt at smartassery is making you look...

Or whether you act equally inane around the numerous other similar figures of speech, of which I could rattle off a list of examples off the top of my head.

It's certainly only too apparent that you have neither anything approaching actual arguments nor anything of substance to contribute to the discussion.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

"Low man on the totem pole" is simply incorrect according to actual importance of characters on native pole carvings (when applicable) - coined by someone who had no idea what they were talking about. That being said, using a figure of speech, however incorrect it may be in regards to its origin, is never cause for accusing someone of something like racism. Please stop doing this.

last edited at Dec 9, 2020 1:29AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

All right, we're done here. Further posts revolving around the continued discussion of "totem poles" will be removed.

random, your follow-up posts seem meant only to further inflame an already tense situation. There is no excuse for this, and I would insist that you avoid doing so again in the future. This serves doubly when a moderator has already reprimanded other users in the exact thread in which you're following up. This serves triply when your conversational partners have already adjusted their posture appropriately.

Thank you everyone, and take care.

joined Sep 13, 2018

Cute

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

hnnnnngh, that fluffy ending. so satisfying. Need more villainess x maid yuri reeeeeeeeeeee

LOL worst assassin ever. "H-How did you...!" she says when accused.

just a little bit silly, you know!

To reply you must either login or sign up.