Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

For what is worth JP players are starting to campaign on twitter about Ashley being added to JP, and the most recent datamines have found her files in the game, she is definitely coming, it is a matter of when, she might be the next girl released after this anniversary period is over, or it might take a year, though I will add that it is a shame that we are already on Semptember, cuz releasing Ashley on 4th of July would great... maybe next year's 4th of July.

And yeah, the decision to shut down servers had happened for a while, I want to say at sortly after Last Magia based on how things played out in hindsight, but perhaps even before that, but I don't even think that the pace was the main problem, a large part of NA MagiReco's lifespan was during a global pandemic that made people far less likely to spend money on frivilous things, which significantly reduced the number of mid-tier spenders that could've made a big difference, and while big name gacha like FGO and Dokkan always had so much revenue that even at a reduced capacity they still make obscene amounts of money, many smaller gacha are kinda hurting right now, as the corporate demands for revenue have not been even remotely reduced. But that's capitalism for you.

Another major problem likely was lack of advertisement, it was common to see new players commenting in the subreddit that they didn't even hear about the game until much much later, and recently we've got a lot of comments of people mentioning that nobody ever came across MagiReco ads, which likely exacerbated the issue of player drop off as few new players ever came into the game to replace them.

Regardless, I continue to push through story as hard as I can in JP, just cleared chapter 4 and moving on to 5, so that I can get my precious little Homu back from stamp card missions.

last edited at Sep 1, 2020 12:20PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Some insides on why NA got shut down, Apparently 5 persons made for 50% of the revenue

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I haven't missed a day to log in in over 300 days. Yesterday I finally let it go. I haven't completed all of chapter 10 yet even but I'm so irritated about the shut down I don't know that I will before it's shuttered. Rawr.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

I recommend saving your favorite stories/animations with a Screen Recorder app before you scatter the ashes.

As for what we never got: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWaPQ9Fbyl8

last edited at Sep 2, 2020 4:24AM

Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Some insides on why NA got shut down, Apparently 5 persons made for 50% of the revenue

I'm very skeptical of the authenticity of the person who's making the claims here. Since the user names are censored out on the screenshot of the post and there's no link to where it was originally posted I cannot verify if it's in fact true or not (I find it unreasonable to think that only 5 people gave a majority of the funds to this game). As far as I know it could be a person spewing lies and speculation. I mean sure Whales do make the majority of the money that F2P games like Magia Record make, however...

last edited at Sep 2, 2020 4:15PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Rayshift seems set on providing a MR translation. I don't know what their FGO work is like, but this can only be good news, since they're a stable group that can guarantee an output, instead of being a collection of random people who've never worked together before. They'll probably only focus on main story, not all events or MSS, but it's something.

You can always join Fate/Grand Order then.

Nah, have no reason to right now. FGO seems to require an absurd amount of reading which is of no interest to me if I have no investment in the story or in trying to catch up on the entire franchise. MR is special among the various gacha games I've played and I care about it the most. Stopped playing Arknights and Honkai the past few days because I couldn't muster up the will to invest energy in them.

directly replying under him(?)

Gender neutral pronouns like they/them work if you're not sure. I am female though.

I got Ren from the final selectable fate weave, which was great so I could finally watch her MSS. Started catching up on event stories, and started with "My Diary With You". Ren is... hardcore attached to Rika.

Rewatched a couple of main story segments also to compare with the anime. I forgot how much I enjoyed chapter three's ending, when Iroha doppels, and the impact her internal thoughts had. Yachiyo's fixation on Iroha saying she wouldn't die in front of her also makes way more sense now. During the first playthrough the context makes it seem like she's only bothered by it because of a similarity with Mifuyu saying she'd never leave Yachiyo, but in hindsight it's obviously more than that.

JP anniversary has been wonderful. Got Alina from the premium fate weave free 10x rolls and three of the four rate up memos I wanted. Still hoping to get RikaRen from the other rate-up.

Oh and for whoever's playing JP, don't forget to buy the 400 stones bronze pack in the shop. It's available for sale twice and it's ridiculously worth it. 400 stones for 10x ticket, 4* unlim girl, and other stuff like SE materials. The 4* it gave me was Hanna, ironic considering she was the last girl to be added to EN.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

To anyone making the move to JP and picking up translations on YT, make sure to watch Crimson Resolve and Green Jaspers Diviners, those two event stories are important for arc 2 and it introduces two out of the (currently) five major factions from arc 2, Kamihama Magia Union being one of said major factions, and the Neo-Magius plus the still-not-very-focused-on Folklore of Zero being the last two.

Anyway, on JP, I finally finished clearing arc 1 nodes today, all the way up to Last Magia, Homura putting in a lot of work... also chapter 8 is goddamn gargantuan, I didn't feel it as badly when playing it through the first time since I was enjoying the story, but it is a ridiculous 64 stages, then chapter 9 is another 46 stages, counting chapter 10, I cleared 135 stages just today... arc 2 is going to be another trial, too, even to just clear it, cuz those chapters are stupidly long... at least Another Story is super short and I could clear it tomorrow very easily, so long as I have the AP for it.

The 4* it gave me was Hanna, ironic considering she was the last girl to be added to EN.

Who was your second one? each bag gives one ticket so you get two random Unlim, I got Hanna as well from one of the tickets, and Mami from the other, currently only missing Sayaka to have the full Holy Quintet already...

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 3:14AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Who was your second one?

Haven't gotten the second bag yet. Not enough stones, cause I've been focusing on EN more. And I'm not in much of a rush because there's still more than enough time left, especially with the anniversary login rewards. 20 stones per day, crazy.

One other minor upside to EN closure is that it's made me go over all the story content I've missed or didn't bother to do. Has also made me focus on all of the characters, both MSS and gameplay-wise, instead of just the ones I liked the most. It's a travesty I've neglected Hinano and Emiri this long. Think I'll do Asuka and Sasara's stories next, cause they're interesting in Emiri's MSS.

joined May 28, 2016

@Veya How did you get caught up that fast with a low leveled team? From what I remember NA with a ton of high leveled units was still super hard during the later chapters. Especially considering that JP doesn't give out as much free stamina as NA did or so I heard.

I'm assuming these "bags" require paid gems and not free ones? If so won't that mean being slapped with a foreign transaction fee?

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I got through it all with my 3 slot Homura, she practically solo'd the entire main story for me, with supports of course, the fight agains the three Magius in 10-3 was the hardest and actually took me a fair few tries, but I still got through.

And no, those bags are free gems, there are four different bags, Platinum for 750, Gold for 600, Silver for 300 and Copper for 400, for the first three, they take paid gems, but the Copper bags take 400 unpaid gems, and on top of that, they give a 10roll ticket along with the other goodies, meaning effectively pay 150, or 6 rolls worth of, farmable gems for a guaranteed 4-star, which is a ridiculously good deal. And you can buy it twice.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 8:04PM

joined May 28, 2016

Thanks but no thanks. Magical girls (especially limited ones) in Magia Record aren't as useful with only one slot unlike NP levels in FGO where most servants are perfectly usable with only one copy- In particular SRs and SSRs... although having higher NP levels does help with challenge quests. That and unless you're paying for me I don't have money to waste gambling on stuff that doesn't matter nor gives a guaranteed outcome.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I mean... okay? I thought you weren't even moving to JP so I was explaining just for the purposes of satisfying someone else's curiosity, I personally think it's an amazing deal, and even if these girls are going to be at 1 slot for now, they may come up again in future free rolls or spooks, or even can give you an extra slot to whoever you picked with your tutorial roll, plus there are plenty of unlimited 4-stars that are great even at 1slot, girls like Madoka, Mami(or anyone else with 100% Bind/Charm/Stun on Connect) or Yozuru are amazing even at 1slot, even if they get better at more slots, and other girls like Mitama are fairly useful at 1slot as well.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 1:35AM

joined May 28, 2016

Who knows if I might decide to give it a roll (the game not the gacha) sometime in the future. I mean I originally picked NA up on a whim after all.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Second copper bag 4* was Ryouko, who seems okay but not top tier. Anniversary rolls haven't been outstanding past two days. no rate-ups or anything else notable. I lament my luck with 4s Iroyachi has not carried over.

Am halfway through chapter 5. It's pretty sad how much less engaging the game becomes when you're skipping every cutscene and letting auto battle do everything. Oh well when I get to chapter 10 and maybe chapter 7 I'll rewatch them on EN.

I am stoked, however, to max out my Iroha once again. This time there's even SE to work on. Regen passives are so satisfying.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Finished anime's episode 10. Some of the character development focus is impressive and almost outweighs the game in impact, like Felicia's end of episode 7 outburst of frustration at having to be the one to restrain herself when her parents are dead and Sana getting three episodes dedicated to her arc. I have to say the removal of Homura and Madoka from Endless Solitude really works when it comes to focusing on Sana. Tbh I don't even remember what originally happens.

But the pacing is still awful. Main story developments are shoved into the last few minutes of the episode, after the end credits? Alina and Mami joining the WoM not only come out of nowhere, but they're given zero introduction? Seriously? And Iroha remains impossibly passive. You can't just take away the one character trait she's demonstrated over and over in the game and leave her with nothing else to replace it. What sort of protagonist is that? And what sort of justice for Iroha is that? I'm infuriated on her behalf. XD

That aside, the yuri subtext gets cranked higher with the anime's more surreal and dramatic depiction of characters. Sana and Ai are one prime example of that. Yachiyo is colder to everybody than she is in-game, but more overprotective of Iroha it feels like. The Amane twins are definitely another example of that, although their eerie mirroring of each other is also a cheap way of sowing discomfort and making the WoM look even more insane. The chapter 5 scenes where the Feathers are finishing each other's sentences phrase by phrase were both creepy and exasperating as fuck. It's like an exercise in how cult-like you can make them and I found it ridiculous. I highly prefer the WoM when they're more morally ambiguous instead of outright crazy.

Despite all of my complaining I do still enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what the next three episodes and season two brings.

joined May 28, 2016

I just saw someone designing a board game based on Magia Record in 4chan's /u/ board. According to how I read it: Iroha wants a romantic relationship with Hazuki and Tsuruno, Yachiyo has a crush on Alina and Tsukuyo, Alina wants a romantic relationship with Tsukuyo, Rena wants a romantic relationship with Touka...

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

^Those are some crackships.

So, EN server seems pretty dead. Support points are way down, mirror battles are down, a growing number of my supports haven't logged in since the days following EOS announcement, and Discord is quiet on the EN front. But a good amount of people seem to have moved to JP, so the MR english-speaking community won't just vanish at least.

Playing NA MR feels sort of peaceful now. Like dust settling on the graves of the passed. Well that's a bit dramatic cause half of my supports are still playing, but I'm not unhappy with how things are. It feels a bit like when I first became enamored with MR, knowing nobody in the community but feeling sucked into the story and world of MR by its own merits. There's a gentleness to that loneliness.

I'm taking my time working through the remaining MSS and events, as well as rewatching certain main story parts. The Mikazuki Villa Christmas event had a really nice story. I'm glad they addressed Sana and Felicia's lack of family in it and I teared up by the end. Major plus that Iroha and Yachiyo were in their parent modes. Another point in its favor for having secretly excited Yachiyo as well as Yachiyo fangirling over Iroha.

I believe most people here have either moved to JP or quit entirely, but what are you all up to?

Edit: Oh and this method of preserving game snapshots is now a thing. Takes up a ton of space but it's cool somebody figured out any way of doing this.

last edited at Sep 8, 2020 9:31PM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I believe most people here have either moved to JP or quit entirely, but what are you all up to?

I just been focusing on my JP account, part of the thing is that... just it became rather upsetting to keep going back into NA after the announcemnt, it will be dead in less than a month, and I am reminded of it every time I as much as try to load the game, and I had almost no loose ends in that game anyway, the only thing I never finished was getting Ryo to Magia 5, and my current game plan is that once I am all caught up on my 5-star-able girls, Ryo will be the first non-5-star to go to Magia 5 to make up for that.

I got OG Homura to 4 slots, and Summer Homura to 2, I completed Another Daze in a day(and am currently farming the enitre freaking shop, I seriously need everything out of it...), and I am just going along for now, letting things rebuild over time.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I just been focusing on my JP account, part of the thing is that... just it became rather upsetting to keep going back into NA after the announcemnt, it will be dead in less than a month, and I am reminded of it every time I as much as try to load the game, and I had almost no loose ends in that game anyway

Ah having almost no loose ends does help. I'm still trying to get everybody to not even magia lvl 5 but just episode lvl 5. Think you'll login on the last day or leave it and delete it some time after? Or even some time before?

I got OG Homura to 4 slots, and Summer Homura to 2, I completed Another Daze in a day(and am currently farming the enitre freaking shop, I seriously need everything out of it...), and I am just going along for now, letting things rebuild over time.

Nice, you got 4s OG Homura back. I had shit luck with rolls, only one limited, 1s RikaRen, and I had to roll extra for them because I got spooked on the sixth day. Well MR will still be around. It's heartening to see multiple translation projects in the works.

Edit: Oooh I'm really excited now. Just looked more carefully over the translated content compilation a Reddit user put together. There's more translated works than I expected, including a complete translation of the recent third anniversary event.

last edited at Sep 10, 2020 3:07AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wow I was dead and in meantime stopped playing for many reasons other than pacing, but NAtempo definitely didn't help and now I learn I made right call cos they close game anyway? Wow. I can't say I wasn't expecting it, as I said multiple times rushing made no sense, because what happens once they catch up as well as it just doesn't encourage average person to spend money, when they can't save and even whales can't afford to spend money on every banner every week. Also perfect example why I hate gacha games, it's only playable when there's new content added. And even if you just want to play it for main story, once they shut down the server, everything is gone. Spending money on gacha games is very risky. And honestly it's all the issues of toxic, gambling-like monetary system, which honestly should be illegal, especially for game that supposedly kids can play.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I've been amusing myself with creating my own archives of personally impactful scenes as well as themed memo teams. They're as themed as I can make them anyway. Surprisingly, Iroha has no easily available passive memos that only feature her. She does have a bunch but they're all rewards for buying physical merchandise.

Have been recording both cutscenes and battles seamlessly, so as to replicate the in-game experience better. "Choreographed" the chapter 6-6-4 solo fight, as choreographed as it can get with only three turns of content. It's been fun! I think I'll upload any videos I end up recording to Youtube so they won't take up space on my computer.

I've also been following any serious archival efforts. MuffinRecord is the best I've seen so far. They're really serious about it. So much content, with the complete homescreen quotes being the most stand-out. They've already finished the IroYachi Final Battle lines just like what I was planning on doing. Bit worried if they'll finish the main meat of the story, namely main story, another story, and events, especially since their mental health has been taking a battering, but what they've accomplished so far is amazing. They've finished all of the MSS except two. Almost all 92 of them. Jesus.

At the end of the day, I switch between being content with how I'm making the most of things, and then sad at all the progress I'll lose, the specific combinations of girls and memos I enjoyed using. Part of me practically thinks that once the server shuts down and I completely move to the JP server, I'll just find something else to focus on story-wise anyway. The chances of me ever rewatching everything are almost zero. But for now, I'll let myself be attached. I've gotten bored and left plenty of gacha games before, but this is the first time one has been shuttered on me. Might as well enjoy what's left, while I can still call it “mine".

joined May 28, 2016

Here you go almost 40 images just of YachiIro.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

After I learned it was being canceled, I logged in a grand total of 2 more times. Just deleted it entirely earlier today. Won't waste my time on the JP version, and I doubt I'll try any other mobile games again. Yes, you could say I'm salty with a side of extra salt.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

last edited at Sep 13, 2020 7:07AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Those were cute. There can never be enough IroYachi.

After I learned it was being canceled, I logged in a grand total of 2 more times. Just deleted it entirely earlier today. Won't waste my time on the JP version, and I doubt I'll try any other mobile games again. Yes, you could say I'm salty with a side of extra salt.

MR was not able to live up to its full potential, which is an utter shame. The closure came out of nowhere given how active the community was and what could have been if the game had been managed a different way. You have a right to be salty haha.

Uploading videos on Youtube is much easier than I realized. Video editing and exporting is a pain, but I've successfully begun my documentation quest. It's hard for me to know what I'll miss most when the game isn't actually gone yet, so I just hope I won't overlook anything. Here's my absolute favorite moment in the game (that will make sense to literally no one else).

The phone I'm using has a homescreen bar appear every time the screen is pressed, which means an emulator would be best for aesthetic purposes/full immersion, but that's too much effort for me to figure out right now.

Mirrors Ranking is another thing happening right now, and it's intense. Only the tryhards are left so the thresholds are high. Pretty sure I have little chance of reaching S rank.

To reply you must either login or sign up.