Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm honestly more curious about what Igarashi came for. Just to see how Chidori's doing, as she did seem to genuinely like the younger girl if nothing else? Try to clear the air between them, as those chocolates suggest certain regrets and the poor terms they parted ways on probably bothering her? Or is she actually insensitive (and/or desperate) enough to want to try and see if she still has a chance, since for whatever reason she apparently started having second thoughts about that rejection quite a while ago already and presumably has no idea Chidori's found someone new? (Mind you she'll probably clue in on what's up with Nanoha within minutes of her entering the room... and then fall hard for her given Nano's oft-demonstrated unsurpassed gay magnetism)

Guess we'll be learning that circa next chapter.

That is a very good question. We’ve seen this “graduated-ex/almost-ex returns to the cultural festival” trope many times before—sometimes it’s just a former school star revisiting the scene of past glories, except in this case we know that she’s specifically coming to see Chidori.

The second thoughts indicated by the Valentine’s chocolate is the primary clue at this point.

Most positive spin: she’s come to terms with her true sexuality and wants to make it up to Chidori.

Highly (not “most”—she could be a demonically-possessed serial killer) negative spin: she’s a player who can’t stand even a cutie she didn’t really want rejecting her, so she’s back for another go.

I loathe her so much I almost want to see the writing turn her into a sympathetic character somehow. Failing that, however . . .

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

Just because someone treat you nice and kind, doesn't meant there are some kind of love or like over that...
that's why heart is really vulnerable and a nice play thing..

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just because someone treat you nice and kind, doesn't meant there are some kind of love or like over that...

Of course, in this case it was easy for Chidori to get the wrong idea about the person who was treating her nice and kind when that person said, “Chidori, I love you” while kissing a strand of her hair.

2c8398570900c5e79edaf431f20173aa
joined Oct 9, 2018

“I’m trying to make you hate me for your own good” is always a dick move.

Laugh in Luminous = Blue

lmao you are such a genius

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Of course, in this case it was easy for Chidori to get the wrong idea about the person who was treating her nice and kind when that person said, “Chidori, I love you” while kissing a strand of her hair.

How could she possibly have misinterpreted such an obvious attempt to limit their relationship to friendship? Some people just read way too much into such everyday gestures.

last edited at Aug 8, 2019 2:19AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Ugh, straight girls.

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

F to pay respects

joined Sep 25, 2015

It's kinda Chidori's fault for misinterpreting it but it's also the ho's fault for being such a flirty ho.
So they're both at fault here.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's kinda Chidori's fault for misinterpreting it but it's also the ho's fault for being such a flirty ho.
So they're both at fault here.

Saying "I love you" is "flirty"?

Taking it seriously is "misinterpreting"?

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_ni_arashi_ch43#7

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

...just out of curiousity, I'd like to know the japanese phrase she used...
(I mean, if it's 好きだよ... then I guess, intent may have more weight than expectation..?)
((that aside, her actions spoke volumes, and even if her abroad studies had her act more casual, she should have known how her behaviour would be perceived... curse you, hairfetishist!))

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

好きだと。千鳥。

Like many things in Japanese, the exact meaning of 好き is contextual. But the context here.... Well, just look those pages. It's definitely "I love you", there's no way it could mean anything else.

There's nothing to misinterpret. Igarashi either lied to her or changed her mind.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

...just out of curiousity, I'd like to know the japanese phrase she used...
(I mean, if it's 好きだよ... then I guess, intent may have more weight than expectation..?)
((that aside, her actions spoke volumes, and even if her abroad studies had her act more casual, she should have known how her behaviour would be perceived... curse you, hairfetishist!))

Yeah, the context makes it pretty unequivocal that she's not saying it like the girly gang does when they're replying to that accidental group text.

Even if visually the affect is all Chidori's POV, that scene is way beyond anything I'd consider "flirting."

And then there's the "These aren't just as a friend" chocolates . . .

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Yupp, thanks you both.
I was just curious (already was on the same page with you either way), since people kept making a point about that bubble and I just wanted to know if there was any additional or less ambiguity in japanese :)

schuyguy's interpretation is very spot on.
But one could argue that this is why Chidori defended Igarashi in her own mind and "took the blame" (at least back then).

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

But one could argue that this is why Chidori defended Igarashi in her own mind and "took the blame" (at least back then).

I think the reason she went straight to "I must have misunderstood" is because that's kind of the only possible response to this situation. When someone says, "of course I didn't love you like that, how could I? We're both girls," then it doesn't really matter what happened leading up to that point. You can't say, "you lied to me!" when someone is gaslighting you this hard.

last edited at Aug 8, 2019 1:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yupp, thanks you both.
I was just curious (already was on the same page with you either way), since people kept making a point about that bubble and I just wanted to know if there was any additional or less ambiguity in japanese :)

schuyguy's interpretation is very spot on.

I've "taken the blame" in every relationship that's ever gone bad: "I was an idiot for getting involved with an asshole like you."

It's a form of humble self-reflection . . .

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Although, now that I think about it, she never says she didn't love Chidori. She really just says that they didn't have a relationship, which I guess isn't quite the same thing. So perhaps the misinterpretation is Chidori believing their love meant something, when to Igarashi it didn't come with any of those implications.

last edited at Aug 8, 2019 1:31PM

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I've "taken the blame" in every relationship that's ever gone bad: "I was an idiot for getting involved with an asshole like you."

Here's to hoping Chidori reached that stage by now and will watch on with a happy smile on her face when Nanoha smacks Igarashi up her face for what she did and whatever shenannigan's she came to school for. *cheers*

(I'll take it all back when it turns out Igarashi came to apologize to Chidori for traumatizing her and just leaves right after, hapy to know her kohai is now in good and caring hands...)

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Although, now that I think about it, she never says she didn't love Chidori. She really just says that they didn't have a relationship, which I guess isn't quite the same thing. So perhaps the misinterpretation is Chidori believing their love meant something, when to Igarashi it didn't come with any of those implications.

Igarashi: Love, yes.
Chidori: Love equals relationship!
Igarashi: Relationship... nope, nada.
Chidori: ...so... no love? ;_;

So... Then Igarashi can accept love between girls but sees no way two girls could have a relationship?

...meantime, I'm still hung up on why her bangs fell differently in that one singular panel. >.<

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(I'll take it all back when it turns out Igarashi came to apologize to Chidori for traumatizing her and just leaves right after, hapy to know her kohai is now in good and caring hands...)

Look at those eyes--you think that's what those eyes are up to? Lol

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

That "when" may very well be never ^_-
But I do kinda wanna leave the door ajar, for the fact it's all been Chidori's POV and ...as I mentioned before, for how the "End" chapter is framed / the style.

And, btw I am not kidding about that strand of hair. Author pays so much friggin attention to detail, that it's gotta mean something, right? Right!?!

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's how they were drawn from the start, mind. She has a pretty distinctive iris reflection for whatever reason. probably just to help distinguish her from Chidori in very close-up shots

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

probably just to help distinguish her from Chidori in very close-up shots

Chidori forehead is too huge to be unnotice even at close range.

last edited at Aug 8, 2019 2:09PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Thats the reason i feel bad for the senpai. Like, she probably did care deeply about Chidori, but due to society, she could never be what Chidori wanted. Her never looking for Chidori after she told the usual "bUt wErE bOtH gIrLs" excuse tells me that she felt bad afterwards and gave Chidori the space she needed. Seeing how this story has been light on the drama, her intentions are probably to give a definitive closure to their relationship.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

her intentions are probably to give a definitive closure to their relationship.

Didn't Chidori already did that when she give back the chocolates on Valentines ?

joined Jul 26, 2016

her intentions are probably to give a definitive closure to their relationship.

Didn't Chidori already did that when she give back the chocolates on Valentines ?

That was just a plain old rejection by default. Would assume that, if her intentions are wholesome, she'd like to talk things out so they can part on better terms at least. People can feel bad about wronging others quite literally for their entire lives after all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.