Forum › Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid discussion

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

@Midnightgunner:
The thing about Vivid is that there are little to no stakes at most times, it's more about the slice of life side of a sports manga with some yuri than serious business with real risks and drama like Nanoha was when it started. But this is okay too, it may not be your cup or tea (or mine for the most part), but you have to consider too that Vivid and Force were supposed to run alongside each other, with the later being the more mature and serious take of the franchise to complement Vivid, but we all know how badly the other manga went.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

For a serious take just watch Vivid Strike! anime

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Kinda pointless battle, if only they had sex and La Pucelle join in a threesome.

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Can we just reboot the series at this point? Nanoha and Fate get almost no play anymore and I don't find the new kids outside of Vivio and Einhart interesting, and guess what that pair got broken by surprise NTR out of nowhere and the two aren't even really talking much anymore.

Just......vivid is a heap of wasted potential, force fucked the series hard and they keep banking on young Nanoha and Fate because they messed up badly.
Just reboot it or let it die at this point the series is limping around.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Aren't the new movies a way to reboot the whole thing? I haven't watched the new one because is divided in two so meeh I don't want a cliffhanger of an entire year!

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

Vivid suffers from the same problem a lot of shounen does late in the franchise: actions no longer have consequence, and the characters are no longer faced with any interactions that would change their outlooks or goals. Ein and Vivio were interesting back when their fights were underscored by the circumstances of Saint Kaiser and Hegemon Ingvault, each fight gave us an idea of what motivates them and what experiences they've based their values on.

These days, Vivio wants to be strong not out of lingering regret for a past she can't change, but because... you know... strength and stuff. Protect things. Sure.

There are no stakes in this any of these fights. If Vivio loses it proves she's not strong enough, and she continues training. If Vivio wins it proves she's strong, and she continues training anyway. Ein won't die dramatically in a lost logia implosion like Fate might have, Ix won't fade away like Reinforce, Muira won't have to rescue a brainwashed Corona from an evil scientist.

I get that it's a slice of life, but the majority of it is action. And actions have no weight when they don't have consequences.

I get that I'm mostly reiterating points that were already made, but I wanted to point out that we did have a plot back at the start of this, and I dislike the idea that 'slice of life shounen' can get away with lazy development by taking two disparate genres and taping them awkwardly together. You can't have your cake and punch it, too.

last edited at Jun 10, 2018 11:21AM

joined Apr 28, 2014

(I'm only like this because I'm watching Dragonball Super and having the exact same issue right now in that series, but that's a rant for another forum.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah... When you said things like "I'm able to protect myself now!" but in peaceful times like that and if you're not going to enter the .... Whatever is that her moms are working on, the armada? anyway! I don't see the point, she really doesn't need to be strong at all and even if she tries really fucking hard she's not even stronger than half of her team so it feels underwhelming.
I still of course want her to win and beat the shit out of Miura.
That credit page was another reason why this didn't get more anime seasons hahaha.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

What silly duel
´´I want to show that I can protect myself´´
From who? Is been year they confront a enemy and they probably won´t use fist

Will be better if they go full sex, specially with La Pucelle with Vivio and Miuna putting her tail between they crotch and having thigh sex.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Vivio's motivation has always been a bit swallow, she wants to be strong enough to protect her mothers, so she wants to defeat both of them in duel. She probably admires strong mages because she was raised by 2 of the strongest ones in the TSAB and was always surrounded by family friends that were similarly powerful, but that's never clearly stated.

joined Apr 28, 2014

Yeah, but the problem with that is that having Nanoha or Fate lose in a duel against Vivio would be dumb. Vivio can't even fly, as far as I'm aware, so Nanoha could literally just hover overhead and rain pink hellfire. Even if she didn't fly, we know that Nanoha is one of if not the single stongest character in the series. She can literally blast a hole in a warship designed to counter magic. Linking Vivio's character progression to an event they know will trigger fan outrage wasn't a smart move.

joined Apr 9, 2013

What silly duel
From who? Is been year they confront a enemy and they probably won´t use fist

I thought the same haha maybe her mothers will let her play till late without worries. I don't understand Vivio's motivations anymore. It would be great if she becomes a true mage like her mamas and their friends and work in protect people for real. This thing about martial arts is just a hobby, right? Hehe.

PD: Hope Miura wins.

last edited at Jun 12, 2018 6:42AM

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

"They both stumble back a step and then... They smile...!!"

I'm laughing... For fuck's sake, I'm laughing because this is so stupid... So, so stupid...

I imagine if it would be like this if a two loving hippies got into a brawl with each other... And the attack names are still ridiculous: "Hundred Lights"? Oh, so is Christmas?! Okay. I don't even care who won... This chapter was so cringy...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

You can always count with a good credit page :P
From what I've read in the spoilers I don't mind if the series ends here haha and we get a reboot after the movies, but of course I'm super glad with vivid translations

last edited at Aug 11, 2018 10:57AM

joined Jan 5, 2018

been waiting for this yes yes now go fight mamma <3 <3 <3

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

I'm laughing... For fuck's sake, I'm laughing because this is so stupid... So, so stupid...

I imagine if it would be like this if a two loving hippies got into a brawl with each other... And the attack names are still ridiculous: "Hundred Lights"? Oh, so is Christmas?! Okay. I don't even care who won... This chapter was so cringy...

You know? Being a real life black belt karateka I also thought this was stupid or unreal buuuuut then again, I remembered a few fights I have had, and even tho you dont act all "giddy" there are times when you do smile.
Sometimes because you are thinking " Here we go, bitch" and other times because you find the judging ridiculous xD

joined Apr 28, 2014

Vivio wins!

But... the plot refused to change.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

You know? Being a real life black belt karateka I also thought this was stupid or unreal buuuuut then again, I remembered a few fights I have had, and even tho you dont act all "giddy" there are times when you do smile.
Sometimes because you are thinking " Here we go, bitch" and other times because you find the judging ridiculous xD

Hey. I'm also a karate black belt. And I never smiled in the middle of a fight... Because that's kind hard when you have a concussion. And I get you, man. The judging is horrible sometimes...

The main problem that I have with this is that all this sweetnes is starting to get really cringy. And that proves that the stakes on the fights' results are minimal. If Vivio had lost, she and Miura would still be best buddies and everybody would still go back to their homes, eat their favorite food and go to sleep to wake up for another day with minimal consequences...

last edited at Aug 12, 2018 12:31PM

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Yep..... Still cringy....

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

They're living on some kind of infinite tsukuyomi jutsu where there's only peace, everyone is happy and smiling even when they beat the shit out of each others daily... I imagine the anime with inserted musicals like Disney movies hahaha.

I want to watch the new movies and the manga about the movies but I won't until I get my hands (or drive) on the second and last movie.

joined Jan 5, 2018

I'm so Glad that we are finally getting close to the battle let's just hope mummy does not knock her out within 5 secs lmao

joined Jan 5, 2018

Just want to make this clear Vivio does not want to beat her mother she wants to show her that she is strong now just like at the end on the ship when she stands up herself she wants her mothers to see that she is strong and she can do things herself which is what any mother wants to see for their children that they are strong enough to live on their own.

joined Feb 23, 2016

I’m not sure how i feel about this if vivio wins against nanoha...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Mimiyaah posted:

I’m not sure how i feel about this if vivio wins against nanoha...

Whatever the result is I know it already it doesn't really matter seeing as how they decided to reset the timeline anyways with the new movies, so there's no consequence in the events here, there's HARDLY a chance for a continuation after this.

joined Jul 15, 2011

Don't really care for the result. Just came to see some nanofate moment. Almost squealed (tbh, i did) when Nanoha called Fate, "my Fate-chan".

To reply you must either login or sign up.