Forum › What is rape?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not upset at all, I'm actually in for making warnings on everything people are sensitive to. It's just that in this case it won't make much sense. A tag won't detract anything from the material itself so if you think it helps of course do it.

Well, that's what I was saying above. Anyone who doesn't need it can just shrug and keep reading, no reason the tag's presence should have much impact on them. People who do need it, well, they can decide whether to read or not with more info to base their decision on.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I do think the problem with tagging something with rape is that it makes you think of those really intense situations of forced and mindbreak. It might deter someone away who wouldn't have thought much of it if they read it.

I propose a kinda rapey tag. :)

I'm just kidding, but hey maybe something in the middle ground would help people who would like a warning for vague situations, but I think the drunk tag did that job for the Tsubahono doujin.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I know you said you were joking, but I could actually get behind something like that.

I would say that it'd be a very gray-area type deal that would attract a lot of arguments on whether a particular work is kinda rapey or just flat out rape, but we already deal with that when it comes to stuff like moderate amounts of sex vs. lots of sex.

last edited at Jul 29, 2016 12:03AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I know you said you were joking, but I could actually get behind something like that.

Yeah, it seems reasonable to cover the cases where it's not blatant but is Pretty Damn Skeevy.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Yeah, it seems reasonable to cover the cases where it's not blatant but is Pretty Damn Skeevy.

Knowing dynasty the tag will end up being Pretty Damn Skeevy

joined Oct 3, 2014

I think differentiating varying degrees of rape (not the best phrasing sorry) is a good idea as well. Maybe something like dubious consent?

AbyssalScepter
Kaga
joined Apr 23, 2016

Knowing dynasty the tag will end up being Pretty Damn Skeevy

That tag name sounds pretty great.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Moderate amount of rape

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Schrödinger Rape ?
Anyway, my two cents... Maybe avoid works with tags like Lots of Sex but without Romance because most of the times, is either kinky or forced

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

A lot of works that would deserve the romance tag don't get it tho, I guess that given that it's yuri, romance is like, by default, always varying between low key implied/sort-of-focusing-on-the-romantic-nature-of-a-female-relationship(s) to flat out love stories.
Like, ppl don't always think about that tag I mean. It's often "not there", so trying to sniff out potentially rapey works based on the absence of the tag isn't accurate at all. You do say it's "most of the time", not like a surefire way, but I don't think it's even that often either.
And absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Not having the romance tag isn't a likely (taking into account that you said "most of the time") indicator of forced sex either.
I feel like the romance tag could be applied to more works than it is actually used.
Right now, I'm just looking through some stuff with the sex tags, without the romance tag and well, yeah, a lot are either not rapey, or sort of romance inclined, just not tagged as such.

last edited at Jul 29, 2016 2:22AM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I honestly agree about the Kinda Rapey tag. It would help differentiate between stories like Buruburu Biyori, which is Kinda Rapey, and stories like Tsukasa and Tsubasa, which is No-Greyzone-In-Sight Rape.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Ex post facto consent

Should cover when she ends up liking it.

joined Jan 8, 2016

Might as well put everything that happens in the story in tags.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Right now, I'm just looking through some stuff with the sex tags, without the romance tag and well, yeah, a lot are either not rapey, or sort of romance inclined, just not tagged as such.

Indeed, I've been putting together a "NSFW Worth Reading" (from my point of view at least) reading list, and there's actually quite a lot that most people wouldn't chalk up as rape, even with the "no, stop" or "I'm so embarrassed" ritual phrases (see Chi-Ran's stuff for a lot of this). Because in most cases where they're used it's pretty clear that they aren't meant to convey any actual meaning.

But there are also ones where the "no, stop" and "I don't want this" are clearly not just something you're expected to say during sex as "flavour text", but aren't marked kinda rapey at the very least.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I wish I didn't see comments like this coming, but....well, I saw them coming.

joined Jan 8, 2016

Well, excuse me, if the "bit rapey" tag is already the last straw for them, what do they care if it was all okay in the end?

Whether or not how the story ends is something that I would like to see for myself, so what the hell?

last edited at Jul 29, 2016 9:36AM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Even though I brought up the kinda rapey tag, I honestly don't care about tags. They're a nice way to organize things, but other than a few I use to search for stories, I don't even notice them most of the time... but other people do.

I think it's nice to respect the feelings of others who might be triggered by something; especially something as sensitive as rape. Adding one more tag will most likely not do much to those of us who don't care for tags, but it could ruin someone's day by reminding them of a time they really rather not remember when all they wanted to do was enjoy their day reading fluffy stories about girls kissing girls (with consent of course lol).

joined Jan 8, 2016

Hey, I am still cool with the first suggestion, kinda like those yuri project (?) doujinshis that start on the first page with a nsfw warning (maybe food for thought here too?), but atleast leave me a little bit of mystery because I wanna see and judge for myself how a author resolves certain issues and form my opinion then and there.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Pretty sure you're thinking of Lililicious's NSFW pages at the beginning of lewd manga.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

So, stuff that starts as (flat-out) rape - into consent?
most recent example: Mira's tree girl pregnancy doujin or w/e

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Well, excuse me, if the "bit rapey" tag is already the last straw for them, what do they care if it was all okay in the end?

Whether or not how the story ends is something that I would like to see for myself, so what the hell?

But even with the tags you could see how the story end for yourselfe. On the other hand: ppl like me who what to avoit rape shit, can just skip the story without finding themself in this mess.

joined Jan 8, 2016

But even with the tags you could see how the story end for yourselfe. On the other hand: ppl like me who what to avoit rape shit, can just skip the story without finding themself in this mess.

Given what an effect tags alone have on clouding peoples judgement on here, its very much safe to assume that a tag which is basically spoiling the conclusion for most one shots is also a damper on my enjoyment, sure, I have no problem with the suggested rape tag because that shit better warned about, though I think a warning page like the NSFW page would work as well, but having a consent tag on top? Seriously?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm fine with either a tag or a warning page, although I think the tag would be a lot easier to implement

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

Has anyone considered implementing a dubious consent tag? It's a seriously outdated label and in no way do I endorse the term b/c its basically the same as rape, but for those that get bothered by the use of a rape tag for non-traumatic scenarios it might be more implementable?

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.