asking.. for.. u know.. a friend...

Sure ya do

Untitled-1
joined Jun 11, 2013

I wonder why its only ch6 here, other web already reach ch31

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

Versions on here are cleaner and more well done. Yuri Project is currently going back through all the chapters and releasing them again as more finalized scanlations.

joined Jan 31, 2015

mazuus:

SaxonSun:

Versions on here are cleaner and more well done. Yuri Project is currently going back through all the chapters and releasing them again as more finalized scanlations.

Yep.

Here's what happened for the chapters that are not yet on Dynasty.

As the chapters came out, halmoni had done quick text translations of them, then Quick Cook Oatmeal (QCO) did roughs (rough typesets) for them and uploaded them to her Google Drive. QCO did the roughs for chapters 1-28.

(halmoni and QCO are part of the FF team on Yuri Project and before that, on /u/. There may also have been other people doing quick translations before halmoni started doing them.)

They made these roughs so that we can read the translated versions as soon as possible, before the final revised quality-checked versions come out, which may take a while.

Now, what "other web sites" such as MangaFox and MangaHere did is that they literally took those roughs and uploaded them as is.

I just checked for a more recent chapter, chapter 30. MangaFox just took the rough that somebody on /u/ named Cold made and uploaded it as is. As for MangaHere, they either did their own typesetting or got it from yet another source.

Now, yes, this is the Internet, and "information is free" and all that. But sites like MangaFox and MangaHere have ads. Not a few ads; loads of them. At least 4-5 a page. So scavenging for these roughs (made by random volunteers totally for free out of goodwill), uploading to their sites, then slapping ads all over them, hence monetizing them... well, you be the judge.

And even ignoring the whole "moral"/"ethical" aspect of it (because, once again, Internet), those sites don't really seem to care about quality. The roughs are exactly what they are: rough. The images themselves are not of the best quality. (In fact, the team on YP is in fact in the process of redoing all the chapters will high-quality cleaned raws.) The translations are preliminary; they haven't yet been quality-checked and revised. But what are the chances that those sites will update the chapters once final better versions come out?

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 5:56PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

And this is why you come to Dynasty: The Home Of Quality.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 6:06PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Okay, wow. Huge fucking image. Could you maybe resize it or something?

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I'm using my smartphone since I'm not home, so I didn't notice it was too big, is it possible to resize in the post or I need to use a smaller image?

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 5:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm using my smartphone since I'm not home, so I didn't notice it was too big, is it possible to resize in the post or I need to use a smaller image?

You'll need to use a smaller image. In general, you should use smaller images if you can, because they take up a lot of real estate in the forum and tend to break up conversations.

Or, y'know, communicate with words. That works too.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

You'll need to use a smaller image. In general, you should use smaller images if you can, because they take up a lot of real estate in the forum and tend to break up conversations.

Or, y'know, communicate with words. That works too.

I always try to use a smaller image if possible, later when I get home I'll put other there or delete that post, and words are overrated.

Sorry for the inconvenient Nezchan.

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 6:12PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

The sleazy ad deal and atrocious image quality on those two sites (which were the only ones I actually knew about at the time) are the entire reason that before I discovered Dynasty I simply avoided manga reader sites altogether. The only ones that don't seem to suck in some form are Dynasty and scanlation group specific ones. I'd say Dynasty is the best even ignoring the fact it has a bigger selection than any single scanlation group's reader though. The reader itself functions a lot better in general. Others just tend to put each page in full size and clicking takes you to the next page whereas Dynasty can resize the images or display them full sized and allows you to go back a page as well as forward to the next.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

The sleazy ad deal and atrocious image quality on those two sites (which were the only ones I actually knew about at the time) are the entire reason that before I discovered Dynasty I simply avoided manga reader sites altogether. The only ones that don't seem to suck in some form are Dynasty and scanlation group specific ones. I'd say Dynasty is the best even ignoring the fact it has a bigger selection than any single scanlation group's reader though. The reader itself functions a lot better in general. Others just tend to put each page in full size and clicking takes you to the next page whereas Dynasty can resize the images or display them full sized and allows you to go back a page as well as forward to the next.

Batoto and Kissmanga are the best readers, maybe also Ninemanga I'm not sure, they're the only readers that use the best translation and original size of the pages, the only problem is that they don't have resize, though Kissmanga have an advantage compared to others, you can open all pages together so you don't need to click in anything, just go down as you read them.

The other readers all use smaller images and not always the best translation, magahere/fox are probably the worst offenders in that and if you don't use adblock plus or something similar it's horrible to read on mangahere, the only good thing on mangahere are the tsukkomis and that they upload some licensed mangas or webcomics that you can't find in other readers.

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 2:25AM

joined Jan 8, 2014

Here, here!
Tho when I first started reading Manga I still hadn't found dynasty... it took me a couple of the well known series(you know the usual recomendations) then after those I went looking again, and I'm not sure but I think it was strawberry shake sweet that showed me the wonder of a fantastic reader, no need to mute the ads, and a forum to enjoy...
Yay for Dynasty-scans.com!
Thanks for existing an stuff ^_^

joined Jan 31, 2015

Alice Cheshire:

Ah yeah, I did forget to mention the quality of the reader itself as another reason to read it here.

You've got quick jump on the left (unlike a dropdown like on most other sites, which requires click, scroll, click), a quick resize toggle and even keyboard shortcuts for navigation. Plus the "click on left half"/"click on right half" to go to previous/next page makes so much sense that honestly, all readers should work that way.

Thiaguinho-sama:

[...] though Kissmanga have an advantage compared to others, you can open all pages together so you don't need to click in anything, just go down as you read them.

Yeah, actually, that is a nice feature. I actually wished Dynasty had this option, especially for a webtoon like FF. Korean webtoons normally don't have "pages"; a chapter would be displayed on a single continuous page.

The nice effect it has is that while you're reading, you just keep scrolling and scrolling downward. You don't have to think about changing the page once you've reached the bottom of the page. It's not a huge deal to have to change the page, of course, but a continuous page does make the experience even more seamless.

And if you think about it, the concept of "pages" only makes sense when you consider that manga is originally printed, so of course they would be on pages. But for something that originates from the Web, such as webtoons, it does not make that much sense to have the real world constraint of "pages", since webpages are supposed to favor scrolling over paging.

Maybe we should move this discussion elsewhere? (If this discussion is continuing, that is.) Maybe the "Suggestions for Improvement" thread or a new thread?

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 1:35PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

Question for OrangePekoe (the uploader):

Why is the "Chuseok Special" special chapter uploaded in the images section?
It's not really "just an image".

Why is it not uploaded as a chapter in the chapters section?
If it were, it would technically be chapter 5.5, as it was released between chapters 5 and 6.
(I see this convention of special chapters being numbered .5 in other series.)

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 3:02PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

And if you think about it, the concept of "pages" only makes sense when you consider that manga is originally printed, so of course they would be on pages. But for something that originates from the Web, such as webtoons, it does not make that much sense to have "pages", since webpages are supposed to make use of scrolling over paging.

Actually, the concept of pages is a big part of many comedy mangas since it prevents you from accidentally seeing the joke. I'm reading Cromartie right now and there's a ton of that. As an optional feature it would be nice, I guess.
But yeah pretty much every reader I can think of other than Dynasty is a total pain to use. Thank you, Dynasty IT guys!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

And if you think about it, the concept of "pages" only makes sense when you consider that manga is originally printed, so of course they would be on pages. But for something that originates from the Web, such as webtoons, it does not make that much sense to have "pages", since webpages are supposed to make use of scrolling over paging.

Actually, the concept of pages is a big part of many comedy mangas since it prevents you from accidentally seeing the joke. I'm reading Cromartie right now and there's a ton of that. As an optional feature it would be nice, I guess.
But yeah pretty much every reader I can think of other than Dynasty is a total pain to use. Thank you, Dynasty IT guys!

Pages also works because often times they take forever for my laptop to load, the entire chapter would blow the poor thing up.

Not to be that guy (totally just to be that guy) I don't mind Mangafox in the sense that if i had to do something amoral for money, I would do it. Well, not anything amoral, but I'd do what they did, so I don't blame them for doing it.

Yeah I know they're horrible to scanlators and generally disrespectful. Money makes morality mute.

I wasn't going to use mute, but I wanted to keep the M train going.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Not to be that guy (totally just to be that guy) I don't mind Mangafox in the sense that if i had to do something amoral for money, I would do it. Well, not anything amoral, but I'd do what they did, so I don't blame them for doing it.

Yeah I know they're horrible to scanlators and generally disrespectful. Money makes morality mute.

Well, I work in SEO so... you know. I get that to an extend.
I honestly don't know how I would react if I had the chance to become rich by doing it cause I'm not a good enough person to straight up say I won't, but I sure am not gonna support it.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I honestly don't know how I would react if I had the chance to become rich by doing it cause I'm not a good enough person to straight up say I won't, but I sure am not gonna support it.

I spent my 13(ish)-15(ish) years creating an ethical system for myself to justify terrible stuff I might do. Ultimately, it depends on a distorted view of 'good' and rejection of the 'end's justify the means' mentality. If you're viewing ends as needing justifying, then you are limiting your capability to accept that an action does not make the morality of an end. This is why I hate that phrase as a description of Teleological ethics, because it's inherrent bias against it...

Summed, basically, 'good' is the financial security and relatively easy life I would lead by doing what seems an unethical action. This good as an end is acceptable to me because the good of the end is more important than the action. (Unlike most, the end for me determines the morality of the action, which is why I can see the immoral act as fine.)

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I spent my 13(ish)-15(ish) years creating an ethical system for myself to justify terrible stuff I might do. Ultimately, it depends on a distorted view of 'good' and rejection of the 'end's justify the means' mentality. If you're viewing ends as needing justifying, then you are limiting your capability to accept that an action does not make the morality of an end. This is why I hate that phrase as a description of Teleological ethics, because it's inherrent bias against it...

Summed, basically, 'good' is the financial security and relatively easy life I would lead by doing what seems an unethical action. This good as an end is acceptable to me because the good of the end is more important than the action. (Unlike most, the end for me determines the morality of the action, which is why I can see the immoral act as fine.)

When someone talks about ethic and morality, it always make me think of the excuse that justify ANY kind of action, "for the greater good".

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 6:05PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

When someone talks about ethic and morality, it always make me think of the excuse that justify ANY kind of action, "for the greater good".

For the greater good doesn't justify any action.

First must be determined what the good of the situation is.

Then it must be weighed against the bad of the situation.

The resulting difference in good vs bad, if in the favour of good is the greater good.

The greater good is, as far as anyone who believes in Teleological ethics, more important than the bad caused.

For example, Preference Utilitarianism defines good as the preference of those involved.

So if all preferences are considered equal, the preference of three outweighs the preference of two.

The preference of the three is then the greater good. This takes precedence over the wrong caused to the two.

Hugely simplified of course, but hopefully gets the point across.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

For the greater good doesn't justify any action.

First must be determined what the good of the situation is.

Then it must be weighed against the bad of the situation.

The resulting difference in good vs bad, if in the favour of good is the greater good.

The greater good is, as far as anyone who believes in Teleological ethics, more important than the bad caused.

For example, Preference Utilitarianism defines good as the preference of those involved.

So if all preferences are considered equal, the preference of three outweighs the preference of two.

The preference of the three is then the greater good. This takes precedence over the wrong caused to the two.

Hugely simplified of course, but hopefully gets the point across.

I didn't mean that it really justify any action, I was talking about how there's always someone to use that as excuse for horrible acts, normally in conflicts or wars.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I didn't mean that it really justify any action, I was talking about how there's always someone to use that as excuse for horrible acts, normally in conflicts or wars.

Oh right, sorry for the essay then. Yeah, it can be hugely misused. I personally accept an action done if it was with the greater good in mind, even if the end did not result so, because I believe something done intending for good can not be wrong. However the excuse of the greater good used ignoring any actual thought to the greater good is hugely annoying.

And I wasn't saying you thought that it justified any action, rather that you thought the greater good was only an excuse, and not an actual rationalisation.

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 6:25PM

joined Mar 23, 2013

I personally accept an action done if it was with the greater good in mind, even if the end did not result so, because I believe something done intending for good can not be wrong.

That's... An interesting stance.

To reply you must either login or sign up.