Forum › Anime season

joined Mar 23, 2013

Was expecting Ore Monogatari (its Het) to be the usual by-the-numbers romance anime, so pleasantly surprised that so early on it's already on the place where I find myself the most interested when it comes to romance. Where others anime/mangas usually end, when they become a couple. So glad to see this happen so early on. This should be fun (well it's quite fun already).

Also one of the VERY FEW times where I find the (male) MC interesting and love-able, more so than the female love interest. Could've easily been an empty self-insert shell or a generic cookie cutter character "male MC type A - A paragon male specimen that all of the girls want".

Male MC shoujo are almost always better than your average shoujo heroine because the author can't go for your usual shoujo heroine tropes. It forces the author to go for more than one dimensional character. The same thing applies to male demographic content with a female character.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

why yuri anime sucks?
why they can't just swapped toradora or nisekoi mc with a girl! and get yuri!
yuri anime is trying too hard to be different......
depression..

joined Mar 23, 2013

why yuri anime sucks?
depression..

Nisekoi with a girl would be the same, NN watching no progress harem for years.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

How is the subtext going in Kiniro S2 ?

There is no subtext, only text.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

why yuri anime sucks?
depression..

We need one with romance, like actual romance without second meanings or abstraction... Not a comedy that could make you think "Maybe they're just playing/teasing" / "Maybe they just want to be friends in a very nohomo way". Something like Oremonogatari but yuri could work (Atashimonogatari?).

What I hate from anime is that they all seem to like some yuri in their series, but fulfilling it? no! they like building it, teasing it, idealize it but just that... No more. Like they won't be able to denied it later if they push forward and that scare them. An anime that is labeled as yuri has all those traits, yuru yuri T-T where the ones who have powerful/indeniable love feelings, fall for those who are completely oblivious to the situation or choose to ignore/avoid it so nothing happens NEVER they just continue their "Friendship"... It sucks to think that avatar has cannon yuri but a yuri series doesn't.

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 8:35PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

why yuri anime sucks?
depression..

Unfortunately, it seems like that is not what the market wants... I get the feeling that the sudden popping up of yuri is more like "testing the waters". And so far, iirc, none has sold well... Just like in the past with all the soap opera-like yuri. Ya now, cuz yuri is for a niche audience. So making a yuri anime is pretty much an "economical suicide" by the magazines who get em made.

I think the best way to do it is to have yuri as side-couples (preferably with a decent amount of screentime). Have a slice of the pie for the niche yuri portion, while still aiming for a larger audience.

...Or, just hear me out, maybe over-the-top fan-service with actual (not shallow) yuri. Where romantic emotions are present... Is what some are assuming Valkyre Drive will deliver (we also have a thread on dynasty about it here)... From what I understand, the creator's Senran Kagura is quite successful and popular (anime(?) and games), maybe some of the success will bleed into this project (that hopefully will have actual yuri amongst all the bouncing breasts). Right now a single successful yuri series, no matter what it is, is a win for all yuri fans.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, apparently the way to do it is have lesbians have unrequited feelings, have them be psycho rapists, make them join some dude's harem or just kill them off before anything too gay happens.
Maybe CR will license some yuri manga for adaptation, the genre seems to be bigger outside of Japan. I doubt it but well... Hope and stuff.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

Unfortunately, it seems like that is not what the market wants... I get the feeling that the sudden popping up of yuri is more like "testing the waters". And so far, iirc, none has sold well... Just like in the past with all the soap opera-like yuri. Ya now, cuz yuri is for a niche audience. So making a yuri anime is pretty much an "economical suicide" by the magazines who get em made.

wait you're implying there are nisekoi like yuri? toradora like yuri?
monogatari like yuri? or any het rom com based yuri before??????
other than weird story, oneesama bs!!!

last edited at Apr 23, 2015 10:44PM

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I think Yurikuma is yuri alright... not for a wide audience maybe..it is a bit complicated at some points...

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I think Yurikuma is yuri alright... not for a wide audience maybe..it is a bit complicated at some points...

Problem with Yurikuma is that is a mouthpiece for Ikuhara's opinions, opinions that aren't the most straight forward, driving away a lot of potential audience.

In fact, I'd say that is the actual issue with yuri on current anime. The few yuri series that have been released are "gimimick" series that lack an endgame, they're just set pieces loosely connected to see girls being affectionate with each other. I don't believe we've had a true yuri series since Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

true yuri series since Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana.

And they didn't even have yuri endings.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Highly doubt that anything yuri-focused would sell well, no matter how solidly set it might be. Yuri never sells (only yuru yuri, which is due to it's comedy). Also, I don't think the magazines with highly regarded solid yuri stories have money to get anime adaptations. And stuff like Kase-san and The Real Her are off the table since the magazine they were published in is dead.

Best chances are probably yuri-side couples, instead of going full-on with it. For now at least.

On that note... Most of the reactions I see from ppl whenever a yuri character is introduced go along as: "At least be bi!" "what? Why a lesbian? lame!", "Pff, yuri pandering" <- last one makes no sense if you think about it a bit..

Well, apparently the way to do it is have lesbians have unrequited feelings, have them be psycho rapists, make them join some dude's harem or just kill them off before anything too gay happens.

Valkyre Drive's fanservice is sounding so good when compared to this usual stuff.

wait you're implying there are nisekoi like yuri? toradora like yuri?
monogatari like yuri? or any het rom com based yuri before??????
other than weird story, oneesama bs!!!

Not what I was implying. Was just a general reply on the topic of yuri-focused anime.
Would be awesome to see a yuri Toradora (or any of the romance that it's grouped with).

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 2:21AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

On that note... Most of the reactions I see from ppl whenever a yuri character is introduced go along as: "At least be bi!" "what? Why a lesbian? lame!", "Pff, yuri pandering" <- last one makes no sense if you think about it a bit..

Ugh, don't remind me.

Being a huge fan of Senran Kagura I look at many places looking for a chance to talk about it. The fact that the girls are perfectly fine by the own and don't need the help of any man to succeed makes pretty logical for yuri to bloom (and the series is dripping with subtext and has two lesbian characters)

Well, try to talk about yuri and a lot of "fans" have MELTDOWNS about it

Wish the series would have a better fanbase :/

Valkyre Drive's fanservice is sounding so good when compared to this usual stuff.

I'm very interested for it, lots of potential. And petty from my part but how I wish Senran characters were DLC for the game, the breakdown on the fanbase would be AMAZING.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I've never been a fan of Senran Kagura, I can't handle these "ninjas".

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

You should give it a chance, there's a surprisingly good story underneath the fanservice.

This live blogging of the series depicts perfectly how it was my experience witht the anime

http://neandaffnet.tumblr.com/tagged/senran+kagura/chrono

joined Mar 23, 2013

You should give it a chance, there's a surprisingly good story underneath the fanservice.

This live blogging of the series depicts perfectly how it was my experience witht the anime

http://neandaffnet.tumblr.com/tagged/senran+kagura/chrono

It's not even about the fan service aside from the fact these bodies are not the bodies of ninjas.

It's about the fact that these girls insult the real ninja who served and gave their life for different causes in complete darkness not existing in history.
It's just that I'm a huge nerd for everything of steel and blades, I just can't do it. I can't handle this comedy in my serious world.

The history guy in me just can't.

TFW you are literally edge

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 3:09AM

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Highly doubt that anything yuri-focused would sell well, no matter how solidly set it might be. Yuri never sells (only yuru yuri, which is due to it's comedy).

Yuri can sell well if it is in a good anime. Yuri is not a genre. Romance, Cordey and Action are. Like you said, Yuru Yuri sold well because it is a good comedy/healing anime. A Yuri romance show can sell just as well, if it is good. But even most Hetero romance shows are just horrible, why should yuri be any better? Anime writer can't into good romance.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Highly doubt that anything yuri-focused would sell well, no matter how solidly set it might be. Yuri never sells (only yuru yuri, which is due to it's comedy).

Yuri can sell well if it is in a good anime. Yuri is not a genre. Romance, Cordey and Action are. Like you said, Yuru Yuri sold well because it is a good comedy/healing anime. A Yuri romance show can sell just as well, if it is good. But even most Hetero romance shows are just horrible, why should yuri be any better? Anime writer can't into good romance.

Why wouldn't yuri be a genre?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Girls in uniform yaaay http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-24/long-riders-cycling-manga-gets-anime/.87469 Looks like the manga is doing pretty good and I foresee lot of CGI for those bicycles

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Adding to what OriginalGengar asked: Do you also not think that yuri is for a niche audience? Cuz it is.

I'd like it if things were as you said, yuri blending in with Hetero romance as a genre, but it just isn't... You are coming off as somewhat clueless on the matter... I am inclined to ask: Are being sarcastic or not?

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 9:35AM

joined Mar 23, 2013

Adding to what OriginalGengar asked: Do you also not think that yuri is for a niche audience? Cuz it is.

I'd like it if things were as you said, yuri blending in with Hetero romance as a genre, but it just isn't... You are coming off as somewhat clueless on the matter... I am inclined to ask: Are being sarcastic or not?

I think that person is pulling out the "it's not genre but a demographic" argument here. I might be wrong but I think that's what he/she is saying.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I think that person is pulling out the "it's not genre but a demographic" argument here. I might be wrong but I think that's what he/she is saying.

I don't think he does. That only works for Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo and Josei. And it's true for those.

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 10:21AM

Blyat
joined Sep 12, 2012

I don't believe we've had a true yuri series since Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana.

We had Sakura trick didn't we?
How successful was it, though?

joined Mar 23, 2013

I don't think he does. That only works for Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo and Josei. And it's true for those.

Only way to find out is to wait for a reply.

last edited at Apr 24, 2015 10:29AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Isn't yuri more like a variation on the romance genre?

To reply you must either login or sign up.