Forum › Kimi to Tsuzuru Utakata discussion

joined Aug 6, 2023

Just 1 more chapter to go. It's kinda shame they couldn't say each other their feelings tbh.

They did. The last words is Shizuku's novel were "I love you," which was her way of confessing. Kaori understands this and replies with "me too" via text.

I know that. What I meant was to say they love each other not in written way but spoken.

last edited at Jan 8, 2024 7:23AM

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Just 1 more chapter to go. It's kinda shame they couldn't say each other their feelings tbh.

They did. The last words is Shizuku's novel were "I love you," which was her way of confessing. Kaori understands this and replies with "me too" via text.

I know that. What I meant was to say they love each other not in written way but spoken.

I kinda feel written makes more sense here, considering a lot of the plot revolves around Shizuku's stories. Reading "I love you" in Shizuku's book and replying via text is much more in line with the feel of the story than having that exchange through an oxygen mask.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Shizuku did tell her in person on page 30. The small bubble says "I love you" https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_to_tsuzuru_utakata_ch31#30

joined Aug 6, 2023

Shizuku did tell her in person on page 30. The small bubble says "I love you" https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_to_tsuzuru_utakata_ch31#30

Same reply, I know they did. What I meant is that it would have been better, for me at least, if they could have say it using spoken words rather than written words. I do get the point of written but it's not the same.

last edited at Jan 10, 2024 7:04AM

joined Feb 17, 2022

I came here to be sad and relieved that they managed to confess to each other and I read the damn stinkiest takes I have ever seen in relation to this work

As a tip for next time, transient and ephemeral mean something that won't last for along time, "were" is the past tense, and if a character has a terminal illness they're limited time is usually significant to the story

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm glad that at least the worst case of ironic tragedy was avoided (Your Lie in April), but the way Shizuku's confession is dragged out, like a can being kicked down the road, again and again, even though Shizuku knows Kaori is dying, still feels manufactured to me. An arbitrary twist of the knife on top of a tragedy that would be plenty sad on its own even if the leads had been allowed to at least see each other face to face during the confession.

After thinking about it a little, rather than pointlessly cruel, Shizuku dragging her feet with the confession feels like a shortcut; the creator pulling the reins back before the situation could get too complicated.

Imagine Kaori and Shizuku in the same room together, on the same page about their mutual feelings, yet Kaori's death still hanging over them. Having to figure out what to do now. Is that not worth a few chapters to explore? Would Kaori's death be less sad if the relationship progressed beyond pining before she died?

I still like the story overall, but I guess some people love painting any criticism here as "I didn't realize this was going to be a tragedy so now I'm mad", and I guess I can't do anything about that.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Imagine Kaori and Shizuku in the same room together, on the same page about their mutual feelings, yet Kaori's death still hanging over them. Having to figure out what to do now. Is that not worth a few chapters to explore? Would Kaori's death be less sad if the relationship progressed beyond pining before she died?

That is certainly one way the author could have chosen to write it. Usually when I think "Hey, that story could have been better if X had happened instead" I sit down with some paper and write a fanfic.

joined Jan 7, 2024

Once I swore to myself that I never would read angsty romances again, but here I am, crying my eyes out. With all my heart I'm hoping for happy ending, that whole manga is just a novel , that she writes from the first page and everything gonna be okay, but i'm realizing that newer happens.

03fca6214046e15b1cbd7ed7cd767b1a
joined May 26, 2020

I was silenced(by having me sob and almost spiral into a full mental breakdown bcs it reminded me of me and someone) at 1:35am, It's now 1:58m and I haven't recovered cus why they had to hit me w that line in this chapter

joined Dec 17, 2021

I needed to read something sad and here we are.

I have to say, I really enjoy the harshest moments in this story: Kaori crying while she asys she doesn't want to die and Shizuku not being able to talk to her after her confession.

joined Jan 24, 2022

tragicomic that their last texts went out like
- it's finished
- me too dies

I laughed way more than would have been appropriate here...

After all the laughing (and crying), once my mind cleared up, I realized this was probably done on purpose.

The novel was about Shizuku and Kaori's time together. As soon as the novel ends, Kaori's life also ends, signifying their time together is over.

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

To me, I like the fact that they didn't "progress past pining". It feels realistic, and on some level, I feel like it would have lessened how special everything that happened before was. Shizuku and Kaori don't need to shout their love for each other from the rooftops (that wouldve probably killed Kaori faster), the summer they had was enough.

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Same reply, I know they did. What I meant is that it would have been better, for me at least, if they could have say it using spoken words rather than written words. I do get the point of written but it's not the same.

The one on the linked page IS spoken.

joined Jan 18, 2024

Wish me luck soldiers

joined Jan 18, 2024

Its not going to end well, I dont really want to read this..

Yeah
joined Apr 14, 2021

lots of stuffs I wanna say but all I could think and say is that my eyes are puffy as fuck and I would never and ever recover from this

joined Mar 15, 2015

Volume 4 just came out in English.

Speaking of volumes, there are two bonus chapters that haven't been posted on this site. I'm including a brief summary of what happens in each- there aren't any spoilers, but they help flesh out some secondary characters.

Chapter 4.5 is a bonus in Volume 1. Shiori gives Kaori the morning glory seeds, and Kaori says she'll give them to her "friend"(Shizuku, obviously) whom Shiori knows Kaori has been seeing every day. Shiori is a bit worried about Kaori, but Kaori reassures Shiori that she's having fun. Shiori decides to let Kaori spend time with her "friend," but insists that Kaori spend time with her, too.

Chapter 9.5 is the first time Ruri and Seri are shown after the flashback. Seri greets Ruri at the station, and it's mentioned in passing that the reason why they wear their uniforms is because they have club activities over the summer. Seri considers getting dinner with Ruri, but Ruri flinches when she sees that the place is a curry place, a "show don't tell" way of revealing that she's still traumatized by Shizuku's bullying (in the localization of Chapter 14, she says to Shizuku, "You made me hate something I liked," implying that curry triggers her trauma). As they walk away, they get a text from Kaori.

There are a few other bonus illustrations, such as Kaori wearing Shizuku's jacket, or the two dressed as butlers, with Kaori standing on a stool to be on level with Shizuku's head.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I came here to be sad and relieved that they managed to confess to each other and I read the damn stinkiest takes I have ever seen in relation to this work

As a tip for next time, transient and ephemeral mean something that won't last for along time, "were" is the past tense, and if a character has a terminal illness they're limited time is usually significant to the story

This is a good point about the titles. I'm personally a bit more fond of the localized title, since it sums up the timeframe of the story while hinting at Kaori's fate.

Incidentally, though, I heard that the Japanese title gets dropped in the final chapter. I don't know the context, although I'd guess it's the title of the story Shizuku wrote with Kaori.

Speaking of the final chapter, I personally think that the worst- Kaori's death- has already happened, and that the story will end on a bittersweet note, with Shizuku and the others who knew Kaori grieving her but ultimately moving on with their lives.

sikachu Uploader
Mimi-avatar
joined Aug 12, 2022

Speaking of volumes, there are two bonus chapters that haven't been posted on this site. I'm including a brief summary of what happens in each- there aren't any spoilers, but they help flesh out some secondary characters.

Thank you for reminding me about this. I guess the previous group didn't do volume extras, and I really forgot about them.

I'll check with the TL if he's against doing them, as I think it's best to have the complete version here as well.

Oh, and thank you for supporting the series :D

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

I knew what I was getting into when I started this series as it first updated but goddamnit I lost it at the last page of chapter 31. All the sadness buildup from the previous chapters didn't really do much, but this. This made me sit down and think for a bit yo.

last edited at Jan 24, 2024 11:08PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm glad that at least the worst case of ironic tragedy was avoided (Your Lie in April), but the way Shizuku's confession is dragged out, like a can being kicked down the road, again and again, even though Shizuku knows Kaori is dying, still feels manufactured to me. An arbitrary twist of the knife on top of a tragedy that would be plenty sad on its own even if the leads had been allowed to at least see each other face to face during the confession.

After thinking about it a little, rather than pointlessly cruel, Shizuku dragging her feet with the confession feels like a shortcut; the creator pulling the reins back before the situation could get too complicated.

I still like the story overall, but I guess some people love painting any criticism here as "I didn't realize this was going to be a tragedy so now I'm mad", and I guess I can't do anything about that.

I can understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, Kaori, who knows she doesn't have long left and doesn't want Shizuku to suffer, would probably pre-emptively discourage such a confession if she knew Shizuku was going to get to that point.

Spoilers for the final chapter:
Kaori explicitly says in her final letter to Shizuku that she wishes they could have had a real relationship, but she was afraid that if she told Shizuku that while she was alive, Shizuku would never move on from her death. She does reveal that in her letter, but with an apology and a request for Shizuku to live on.

sikachu Uploader
Mimi-avatar
joined Aug 12, 2022

Thank you for reading!

Here's the source for the last page's illustration: https://twitter.com/maymaymay7523/status/1747914249782141370

Since this is the last chapter, I hope you don’t mind me giving out some shoutouts here.

Thank you punpu from 8888 for initially picking up this series and make me aware of this amazing series. Thank you for connecting me with Yanagikaze and be an inspiration for myself to get better at editing. I still can’t beat those wonderful credit pages of 8888, that’s for sure.

Thank you Yanagikaze for trusting me with the project and staying as the translator with me through the end. It’s a cliché, but I can safely say I couldn’t have done this without you.

Thank you everyone who reads our scanlation works. Thank you for all the kind words of encouragements that let us keep going.

Thank you publishers around the world who pick up this series and make it easy for people outside Japan to show their support.

And lastly, thank you Yuama-sensei and everyone at Ichijinsha who work on this wonderful manga. It’ll definitely be something I won’t ever forget.

This isn’t a goodbye, as volume 6 will come out on February 17, 2024. We’ll be working on the afterword and cover, and any volume extras if any. Also, we'll be working on the missing extra chapters from the previous volumes as well.

You can pre-order the Japanese version from Amazon Japan or your local book store (Kinokuniya, etc.) If you don’t care about owning physical version, I highly recommend purchase digital version from Bookwalker as it’s the easiest way to show your support.

Until next time!

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

Don’t cry that it’s over. Smile that it happened.

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

no anime adaptation announcement in the last chapter, sad x 1000 :( :( :(

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Sure, Shizuku. Just cry all over that paper, smearing out the ink all over the place. If I were her I'd keep that letter in pristine condition for as long as I live. They'd be Kaori's last bits of handwriting after all.

Anyway, what a depressing story. Just what I needed in times like these.

To reply you must either login or sign up.