Forum › My Sister and Giant: A young lady is reborn in another world discussion

Untitled
joined Sep 8, 2017

Great story so far and really good characters, too. I'm excited for more updates. The only downside is that there's been three other girls who look similar to the antagonist and it has confused me a few times

I feel you, it's hard to differentiate Carla from Hidako at times with the close ups.

Easiest way to tell is to look for Junko’s upside down “hair horn” curl things, or, failing that, the eyes/eyebrows. Carla has more distinctive eyebrows.

Untitled
joined Sep 8, 2017

I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand, there definitely seems to be an issue where some of the ideas and design choices in the manga are ... not great. You brought up the use of indigenous aesthetics for "savage, bad giants", but there was also the line in chapter 11 where she says "Those who hold no beliefs, have no dogma or creed to follow, are in capable of treating other people as human beings!" which is incredibly similar to lines used by some religious groups to demonize atheists and agnostics in the real world.

I read that more as Hinako saying “If you have no personal philosophies or moral standards that you hold yourself to, you can’t possibly treat other people with basic human respect.” She even states before that line that she’s not talking about any specific religion or anything. She’s saying that if you don’t have ethics or a conscience, then there’s nothing stopping you from doing horrible awful things to people and treating them like trash.

Atheists are more than capable of realizing that it’s immoral to murder people. They don’t need a religion to tell them that. Hinako recognizes this. Her wording is probably kinda confusing since she mentions “having a God”, but we’ve also seen her define “God” as less of an established, definitive deity and more like some nebulous force of the universe. So I don’t think we’re supposed to be taking Hinako’s words as some sort of Christian crusade there. Just her saying “if you have no sense of right and wrong, you cannot possibly treat people right”.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand, there definitely seems to be an issue where some of the ideas and design choices in the manga are ... not great. You brought up the use of indigenous aesthetics for "savage, bad giants", but there was also the line in chapter 11 where she says "Those who hold no beliefs, have no dogma or creed to follow, are in capable of treating other people as human beings!" which is incredibly similar to lines used by some religious groups to demonize atheists and agnostics in the real world.

I read that more as Hinako saying “If you have no personal philosophies or moral standards that you hold yourself to, you can’t possibly treat other people with basic human respect.” She even states before that line that she’s not talking about any specific religion or anything. She’s saying that if you don’t have ethics or a conscience, then there’s nothing stopping you from doing horrible awful things to people and treating them like trash.

Atheists are more than capable of realizing that it’s immoral to murder people. They don’t need a religion to tell them that. Hinako recognizes this. Her wording is probably kinda confusing since she mentions “having a God”, but we’ve also seen her define “God” as less of an established, definitive deity and more like some nebulous force of the universe. So I don’t think we’re supposed to be taking Hinako’s words as some sort of Christian crusade there. Just her saying “if you have no sense of right and wrong, you cannot possibly treat people right”.

That's how I read it too. She basically just said "you need to have principles" and condemned opportunism.

9d94c4a9-d46e-49f0-a68e-0a44d27fedb6
joined Oct 22, 2021

I think matter transmission, space manipulation, and boundary sever would be optimal to grab based on what we've seen so far.

I think boundary sever has been given more hype than it deserves thanks to Junko. The weakness of most of those abilities is that the person who has them is a regular squishy human. Boundary sever may be great at protecting you from attacks, but only if you have the chance or ability to react to them. It offers no protection against your throat being slit in the night, or being shot with an arrow by someone hiding on a rooftop or in a tree. Having zettai offsets that, and lets Junko show off sever’s good sides

joined May 24, 2014

Ok then, now what?

joined Jul 4, 2018

hype from me. been loving this so far

joined Oct 8, 2017

This is great!!!

joined May 24, 2014

The Psycho ex girlfriend from hell has been contained, so I guess they're now after the church I guess?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Well I think their enemies just picked a fight they can't possibly win lmao

Fvwhfw_xoaawl_w
joined Feb 16, 2016

The gang's all got one arm

joined Oct 22, 2021

What is up with Hinako in that cover page. I feel like maybe she’s just a ghost, albeit an unusually powerful & corporeal one.

Also, I know they’re not going to just kill off the main character, but the fact that they just showed the bell and not her hand has me real suspicious.

last edited at Aug 21, 2023 11:02PM

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Mostly 'armless

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

Could someone kindly explain to me the train station scenes? Specifically the one with the third girl. The way I read it, made it seem like she pushed two people in front of the train but she only ever talks about Hinako

joined Oct 22, 2021

Could someone kindly explain to me the train station scenes? Specifically the one with the third girl. The way I read it, made it seem like she pushed two people in front of the train but she only ever talks about Hinako

The scene with Hinako, Munakata, and Shiori at the train station has Munakata & Shiori committing suicide by train in front of Hinako. She doesn’t push them into it like she does with Junko later on. The implication of Hinako’s dialogue with Munakata is that Junko has been tricking girls at their school into prostitution (or at least getting raped) through a so-called ‘social club’, with the girls committing suicide out of shame because of that.

The key takeaway should be that Junko is the worst.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

The scene with Hinako, Munakata, and Shiori at the train station has Munakata & Shiori committing suicide by train in front of Hinako. She doesn’t push them into it like she does with Junko later on. The implication of Hinako’s dialogue with Munakata is that Junko has been tricking girls at their school into prostitution (or at least getting raped) through a so-called ‘social club’, with the girls committing suicide out of shame because of that.

The key takeaway should be that Junko is the worst.

Wow, that is a lot more brutal than I realized. Thank you for the explanation!

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

Didn't know this was on Dynasty... Ig I should've expected it. Oh this was added recently.

last edited at Aug 29, 2023 6:56PM

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

This manga is as awesome as I remembered ~ sht dark but man does the bond between sisters light the darkness of the cruel world they’re in… except junko. Fck that Ho.

last edited at Aug 30, 2023 12:28AM

joined Jul 7, 2020

I think matter transmission, space manipulation, and boundary sever would be optimal to grab based on what we've seen so far.

I think boundary sever has been given more hype than it deserves thanks to Junko. The weakness of most of those abilities is that the person who has them is a regular squishy human. Boundary sever may be great at protecting you from attacks, but only if you have the chance or ability to react to them. It offers no protection against your throat being slit in the night, or being shot with an arrow by someone hiding on a rooftop or in a tree. Having zettai offsets that, and lets Junko show off sever’s good sides

That's a good point. My thinking was that it'd depend on how abstract a 'boundary' can get, and that it should at least save you from a fate worse than death. It's probably a little less valuable upon reflection.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Yen Press picked this one up

To reply you must either login or sign up.