Forum › Julia in the box! discussion

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Airhead princess my ass, her every move has been methodically calculated.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I know this isn't the first and not the last story to do it, but does this happen? Do people just get up to other people and grab them? And if so how often does that happen? I know I know, it was done to save time and jump right into the issue of this guy being a nuisance. But at that point just cut to Maki going back with drinks and show Julia in the distance looking distressed with a guy or two around her. I think social anxiety is common enough nowadays that it would be even more relatable to the viewers, really.

But that's just something that bugs me whenever a situation like this occurs in a manga. Otherwise, the story was cute as heck, and if this is this author's first uh... "official"? Professional? Release, then I can't wait to see more. I could even see this get a short serialization. We would just need enough "random, extreme situations" to put them into.

I don't know the full scope of things and how it compares to anime and manga but I've heard that there are catcallers who do that sort of thing too.

Of course it's harder for them, because cats are quick and elusive and hard to grab. Catcallers who first call the cat, and then sit patiently with a treat and wait for the cat to come to them are more successful.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I'm a sucker for this kind of couples, and the art's really cute.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Oh my golf, since is the first author work is nice see her beginning

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Maki's design reminds me of a vtuber. Her early discord dp also looked like that last picture, though the blonde girl has a short hair and I'm not sure who it was.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Gambling them tokens and at love.

The author has a great foothold for sure.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I know this isn't the first and not the last story to do it, but does this happen? Do people just get up to other people and grab them? And if so how often does that happen? I know I know, it was done to save time and jump right into the issue of this guy being a nuisance. But at that point just cut to Maki going back with drinks and show Julia in the distance looking distressed with a guy or two around her. I think social anxiety is common enough nowadays that it would be even more relatable to the viewers, really.

I had a moment of being unable to suspend my disbelief at it more in this story than usual because of where they were in this particular story too. A place where money is being won, and people start getting aggressive and grabbing random women? Security would have them out instantly.

And this is a great oneshot as a professional debut. Hope to see more of their work in the future.

Well to be fair you cant win money in a pachinko parlor- all the stuff in the machines is tokens so the only money is with the coin exchange counter/machine. I think pachinko parlours are pretty low maintenance/low staff.

But still - the tokens are not worth nothing- There'd be a shop across the stree that could exchange the prizes they buy for cash.

chaosOrchestrator
joined Jul 10, 2015

they're gonna get blacklisted from that place for sure

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I really thought rich girl was gonna ask "aren't we dating already?"
Perfect oneshot. Doesn't exactly leave you wanting more because the end is pretty nice, i.e., I wouldn't be frustrated if their story was left as it is.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

If they are so fidgety around each other in such an un-romantic place as a pachinko parlor, it's true love

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

Mans forgot to respect women

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

mans forgot to respect women

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Here's the mentioned Yuri Hime survey you can vote for this story in!

https://questant.jp/q/21LS96G5

Gotta say, we have legalized slot machines here and it sucks. They're everywhere

joined Jan 11, 2014

I know this isn't the first and not the last story to do it, but does this happen? Do people just get up to other people and grab them? And if so how often does that happen?

Naur this shit absolutely does not happen. It's just an overused plot device to create conflict cause human brains enjoy plot structure and we need our characters to experience challenges that make the rewards feel earned. Authors understand that so they add some external conflict in order to push the two characters together. It's a practical solution since it makes one character look good and makes their romance feel like it has a structural reason to progress to the next step (kind of like when the main character saves a cat in the beginning of the story or help an old lady across the street to establish they're a good person. They're all plot solutions using external problems)....

Not saying it's a good technique. It's incredibly cliché, feels out of place, and introduces useless characters that make the worldbuilding feel shallow. Most importantly, it has nothing to do with character conflict/desire/need. It's like fast food in writing techniques.

last edited at Apr 30, 2023 2:02AM

joined Aug 29, 2023

So, which one is the Prince(♀)?

Maki.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

The plot is predictable, the ending is cute.

To reply you must either login or sign up.