Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

I know we're all gonna jump to the pessimistic takes, this was a potentially risky move for Mitsuki: Aya might be disappointed or even angry, she might get in a fight with Chizuru, Chizuru hates the concert, etc etc. There are so many ways this can go wrong, but as an alternative, let me suggest a more optimistic possibility:

Aya goes to the concert with her friend, they actually have a blast, become closer friends, Chizuru learns to appreciate Aya's interest in western music, even if she doesn't really share it. Aya feels seen and validated, and when it comes to Mitsuki, recognizes the gesture for what it was and loves Mitsuki even more, but still sour she got stood up for her concert date she demands a date-date as compensation for the fakeout.

This would be great!!!

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I'd laugh if Chizuru being there is genuinely a coincidence and Koga is just running behind.

Probably not likely, I know, but would still be really funny.

joined Dec 13, 2020

Aya’s been tricked, backstabbed, and quite possibly… bamboozled

This has been the most enjoyable chapter in a long time. ^______^

In a manga that is non-yuri and only about the special friendship between two girls, these are the kind of shenanigans that make the mainstay of humor. This is how friends comedy is different from romantic comedy.

? Non-yuri? Sure m8

Like, Word of God, y'know.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

In a manga that is non-yuri and only about the special friendship between two girls, these are the kind of shenanigans that make the mainstay of humor. This is how friends comedy is different from romantic comedy.

? Non-yuri? Sure m8

Like, Word of God, y'know.

Citation needed.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

I know we're all gonna jump to the pessimistic takes, this was a potentially risky move for Mitsuki: Aya might be disappointed or even angry, she might get in a fight with Chizuru, Chizuru hates the concert, etc etc. There are so many ways this can go wrong, but as an alternative, let me suggest a more optimistic possibility:

Aya goes to the concert with her friend, they actually have a blast, become closer friends, Chizuru learns to appreciate Aya's interest in western music, even if she doesn't really share it. Aya feels seen and validated, and when it comes to Mitsuki, recognizes the gesture for what it was and loves Mitsuki even more, but still sour she got stood up for her concert date she demands a date-date as compensation for the fakeout.

I hope that's the case, less angst and misunderstandings is always good. Plus it'll progress the plot instead of dragging out a conflict for 10 chapters.

I would definitely see this as a possible scenario. and for Aya to have an excuse of getting Koga into another concert date.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

I'd laugh if Chizuru being there is genuinely a coincidence and Koga is just running behind.

Probably not likely, I know, but would still be really funny.

hmmmm. seeing how Agu (Arai) is good at putting us into suspense on every chapter, you might be on to something.

joined May 7, 2020

I do love how Aya is like, “wait why does koga-san hide her style and personality at school— she’s so hot??”

last edited at Jan 31, 2023 8:49PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I've been quietly watching the discussions about the last chapter but I CANNOT take it anymore. We are missing the most important point here, you guys:

Aya is wearing a conch piercing. When did she get it? I know you can buy fake ones but I think it's kinda interesting to see her put it on during her presumed first date (in a totally besties type of way) with Mitsuki. Now that gets me thinking...

When this "5 years in the future" art was released, we saw Aya with new piercings (including that one above) and a lot of people said it's because her very good friend rubbed off this aspect of her style on Oosawa, but apparently this ain't it.
I do like this fact a lot because Chapter 36 if compared to Chapter 10, the last time we see Aya dressing up to see Mitsuki (Onii-san), shows her style is quite different. Fashion is not a fixed set of rules but it is interesting how, if putting those 3 moments of Aya's relationship with Koga, she progressively starts matching the way the latter dresses, to the point they look awfully couple-like.

From chapter one we can see that their styles are quite different, specially if you are picky about your fashion subcultures.
One thing I'd like to point out is that Aya's outfit here comes from a fashion trend from the 90s that is very associated with Jennifer Aniston — which I would say somehow falls under the "mainstream" female fashion umbrella.
Meanwhile, Mitsuki's choice of style is your typical grunge/rocker teen in the 90s, in a boyish take. I don't want to put it in a box, but the fact is that yeah their styles are different at first.

Now, this was supposed to be just me pointing out she got a new piercing but after noticing this, I think going back to Aya's monologue this week is kinda worth it.

Yes, at school there is a clear distinction between the two: Gyaru x Plain girl. This shouldn't matter to any of them but oh well teenagers. Why Koga hides herself behind glasses and a meek facade when she's actually pretty stylish is something to be discussed (by the story) soon, but outside of school, where she feels she can express herself freely, we are seeing this gap between her and Aya get smaller as they become closer (best buddies), their styles are getting similar, they no longer are a different style — they are pretty alike each other. They were since the beginning, but outwardly pin-pointing similarities would be hard for outsiders at first, however, now we are kinda getting a visual representation of this closeness and similarity between the two, in the way they dress (aka express) themselves.
Mitsuki's style also changes a bit from her 17 year-old one compared to that future art, and you CAN see Aya's influence on her too, but since this progression is more obvious with Aya, let's go with that.

(Note: If someone gets on my case because of the Christmas chapter, I already have a rebuttal ready: it is different still. And that's before we see them getting closer and planning to go to the concert together. As for Chapter 28, I KNOW a person's style is not necessarily homogenous, I am just making a point that in general you can see such visual cues in character styling)

last edited at Feb 2, 2023 1:05PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^^^^^^^
I'm just gonna post it before anyone else does it

last edited at Feb 1, 2023 4:09PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

I read it! Interesting points, thank you.

Is there significance to a conch piercing?

last edited at Feb 2, 2023 12:23AM

joined Feb 1, 2021

I'm actually really impressed by the overall level of detail in the art, so thanks for posting that.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I read it! Interesting points, thank you.

Is there significance to a conch piercing?

As in if people get it to represent a specific thing? Not really, I think it’s simply a matter of styling just like any other piercing nowadays.

But in the story, perhaps it serves as a visual cue to their “styles” merging.

joined Aug 12, 2019

We are missing the most important point here, you guys:

you have reach a whole new level of analysis. clapping my hands to you

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

That's what happens after I finish college and end up having A LOT of free time. Got too excited here

joined Aug 12, 2019

That's what happens after I finish college and end up having A LOT of free time. Got too excited here

I can see that. and you do take your time on this. keep it up, girl!

joined Jan 31, 2020

WERE BACK! WERE FINALLY FUCKING BACK!

DYNASTY SCANS LIVES

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm glad to see her called out for acting on her own, without actually communicating in a functional way.

WERE BACK! WERE FINALLY FUCKING BACK!

DYNASTY SCANS LIVES

From the grave!

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

WERE BACK!!!, GO AYAA
Btw the song mitsuki is listening on the last page is called Don't Stop from Bad nerves, it fit so well lol
Lyrics
But it's alright, everything is okay
'Cause I got you and you've got me
Yeah, it's alright, everything is okay
'Cause I got you naked, never breaking up
How do I know? 'Cause I feel it in my soul
Then I knew I wanted to fall in love with you a second time
Then I knew I wanted to fall in love with you and kill this time
Kill this time

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Hoping for a “I like you, you dumbass!” confession.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I wasn't quite expecting Aya to immediately confront her like that, this is even better than how I was hoping it would go :O Also, Mitsuki in her loungewear is an entire dish isn't she ? If I were in Aya's place I would be all flustered in a freaking hurry seeing my crush like that XP

last edited at Feb 5, 2023 5:43PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Hoping for a “I like you, you dumbass!” confession.

If that doesn't happen then Sumiko is doing some world level mental gymnastics to create plot devices that make the story keep being yurin't

last edited at Feb 5, 2023 5:57PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Now the tickets are wasted, WASTED

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Ha! Nice...

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Guys, I think this chapter tells us that Mitsuki lives above the record shop, probably with her Uncle, or at least HE lives above the shop and Mitsuki has a bedroom for herself. A long time ago we got curious over Mitsuki's living situation after Chapter 8 and 11.
Although the room we see on this week's chapter (37) looks like the one we saw in both. I could be wrong.

Anyways, check out this sequence. I kinda didn't notice at first (when the raws came out)
1)Aya knocks on the shop's glass and Joe lets her in

2) This is either Uncle warning Mitsuki that she has guests or Aya already pissed off, I take it's the first because of (3)

3) Taking off her boots to enter the house

4) Frantically RUNNING upstairs to slap some sense into hunky loser

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Now the tickets are wasted, WASTED

It was RHCP, there might be a next time...

To reply you must either login or sign up.