Forum › Two people and three cakes discussion

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I guess this page wasn't enough for people to see that the knife was a visual metaphor. Mayu is not actually threatening to murder her girlfriend; the danger here is making her sad, which is being exaggerated for comedic effect.

She tracked down the baker. That is insane.

And even with the knife being just in the girl's head, that her mental state defaults to that imagery points to a huge issue with the relationship. A crippling fear of disappointing your girlfriend based on it happening it before isn't good.

Like, I get this is supposed to be played up for comedy, but I just don't find it funny. It's the same as me not finding abuse played up as slapstick funny.

As a matter of fact, we know that their first anniversary was almost a failure bc glasses forgot about it so all in all if she almost forgot that then one can understand her being very wary of any potential mistake sooooo yeah ill give the "supposed to be" yandere/toxic gf the benefit of doubt

joined Jul 6, 2022

maybe it’s because i have family that’s easily set off like this but that girl is scary asf. hell nah

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think we can say the knife was JUST in the girl's head.

I think we can. Her hands are full the entire scene with the tray, and the knife only appears in panels where Suu is imagining Mayu. When the art is normal, there is no knife. All of the exaggerated versions of Mayu are seen through Suu in either panels where the art changes or in memories although that could just be the nature of a comedy story.

Well, that's one interpretation. But looking at the first couple of instances of girl-with-knife, it does not look at all like that to me. To the contrary--Suu starts off by thinking about things, trying to figure a solution, then says something, hoping it will be OK, and then you get Mayu's reaction shot with the knife, which results in Suu going "Erk! Guess I got it wrong!"

So the "Mayu with the knife" images are very much GIVING SUU NEW INFORMATION ABOUT THE WORLD. So they're not imaginings or recollections. And yes, the art style does shift a bit--specifically, it shifts from simpler and smaller scale bits that ARE about imaginings and recollections, to the more detailed and stark Mayu-with-the-knife. If there is a shift, it's the knife bringing Suu BACK TO REALITY. And nowhere is there anything that looks to me like a signal that she's hallucinating; normally I'd expect that if the events shown on the page as happening are supposed to be not actually happening, there would be something to let you know.

So I really don't think the text supports the interpretation of the knife being in Suu's head.

I'd like to note that neither direction really has much impact on my experience/enjoyment of the story.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 7:06PM

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

No matter whether the girl was actually creppy or not, I think we can all agree that it's great that they celebrated the anniversary with three cakes rather than one cup.

Him
joined Feb 21, 2013

lol this sucks

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

...I liked it lol it was a fun read

People, y'all gotta stop treating comedy tropes so seriously. Sure, the comedy isn't anything to write home about, but there's a reason why the work doesn't concern itself with the real-life implications of brandishing a knife on your partner, and it's not because the author is a homicidal maniac lol

...At least that we know of.

Untitled%20(3)
joined Jan 7, 2019

this is just terrifying tbh

what would have happened if she hadn't remembered it on time?

Something other than the cakes would get divided into two or more slices

Hopefully their relationship would get divided into two slices

Is it just me, or wishing for a couple to split up, regardless if they have "toxic" relationship (in your PoV), in which BOTH of them doesn't mind and still love each other nonetheless, kinda weird, I still find it hilarious how people say "She/He deserve better" when the people in question wanted it in the first place, who are you to decide what's "better" for them? That's more toxic in my opinion.

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

this feels like a toxic relationship imo

Img_20201109_035833
joined Jul 24, 2020

Lmao this was hilarious. Good luck, Suu-chan XD

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Dump this massive red flag and RUN!

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

this is just terrifying tbh

what would have happened if she hadn't remembered it on time?

Something other than the cakes would get divided into two or more slices

Hopefully their relationship would get divided into two slices

Is it just me, or wishing for a couple to split up, regardless if they have "toxic" relationship (in your PoV), in which BOTH of them doesn't mind and still love each other nonetheless, kinda weird, I still find it hilarious how people say "She/He deserve better" when the people in question wanted it in the first place, who are you to decide what's "better" for them? That's more toxic in my opinion.

me when I read Kitanai Kimi ga Ichiban Kawaii

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

Shes VERY sensitive... holy christ...

joined Apr 17, 2017

This story unearthed traumatic memories from my own previous relationships. I kept looking at Glasses and seeing myself 10 years ago, 20 years ago. It's played for laughs in the story, but Glasses is internalizing an unhealthy level of self censorship and associated tension. She's unwittingly trained herself to cater tirelessly to her girlfriend's notably lazy and confusing attempts at communication, with a sort of masochism which Glasses herself seems unaware that she's placing on herself. Even if Mayumayu didn't torment Glasses and threaten her constantly--like a grotesque creep--Glasses' own self-abnegation has clearly damaged her psyche, and made her a nervous wreck. Glasses probably already operates with a higher degree of tension than is healthy, but she needs a more supportive partner, who doesn't weigh down celebrations and gift exchanges with catastrophic threats.

You can say that both partners here have agreed to this relationship, so no one should split them asunder, but Glasses is clearly traumatized here, and holding on for dear life. The relationship has been a long one, and Glasses indicates that this has been the status quo the whole time. I think of it a bit like the traumatized soldiers who come to feel more at home on the battlefield than off it; regardless of what the soldier thinks they want, it isn't a healthy attitude for them, and they generally need help to get rid of this subliminal programming––it's a defense mechanism kicking into gear to help them survive their trauma. It isn't who they are at a baseline level; it's the adrenaline doing the talking. Well, it's the adrenaline talking with Glasses, too. She's made it this far, and it makes her feel like she's achieved something, and she subliminally feels closer to Mayumayu as a result. It probably only rarely occurs to her how much the relationship is stressing her out--but it's very clear in the comic, and it's what makes the comic such an uncomfortable read. And even though the knife Mayumayu brandishes could be read as metaphorical, just what is it standing in for? Let's not forget, Glasses is so worried about not guessing the correct cake to eat, she is definitely––not merely metaphorically––doing self-harm, and buying herself extra time with her emotionally unstable girlfriend in order to hopefully get the answer to the question. Nonetheless, punching herself in the face is clearly standing in for some torment Glasses thinks her girlfriend would want her to suffer for not getting the riddle right so far. It's a pretty good indication that Glasses at least perceives Mayumayu's angry responses to her as coming with a measure of deliberate hurt attached. You might say all that indicates is Glasses' perception of the stakes of this game, but we see a lot of evidence that Mayumayu is playing along with it, and it certainly seems like the way the game is played in the story is the usual way the game is played between these two––with Glasses the put-upon one, expected to perform to prove herself worthy, and Mayumayu as the judge of Glasses' performance, and the one who doles out punishments and rewards.

To my mind, Glasses would do better with a more even-keeled girlfriend, who treated her like a partner in their relationship, rather than treating her as someone continually auditioning to be treated like a human being. And I think Mayumayu needs to be alone––at least for a while. She needs to learn to judge which of her expectations of people are reasonable, and she needs to learn how to handle disappointments with responses more appropriate to the nature of disappointment in question. Based on my own experience, I'm probably more naturally biased towards Glasses, but I have to admit that Glasses' own unacknowledged masochism has probably led her into this situation. However, that is, I think, a trait which might most often dissipate without the expectation by her partner to be constantly performing this masochism, as a demonstration of devotion.

Anyways, in spite of the pretty drawings, the story of this one really harshed my vibe. I guess it's a little funny, but it bothered me much more than it entertained.

last edited at Jan 5, 2023 9:34AM

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

No matter whether the girl was actually creppy or not, I think we can all agree that it's great that they celebrated the anniversary with three cakes rather than one cup.

Stop that lmao

Noodvatar100
joined Apr 13, 2021

Reading this gave me second hand anxiety.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

I want to read Dynasty comments ONCE without complaints about abuse or toxic relationships.

joined Mar 28, 2021

yandere gf is my dream gf fr

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

This story unearthed traumatic memories from my own previous relationships. I kept looking at Glasses and seeing myself 10 years ago, 20 years ago. It's played for laughs in the story, but Glasses is internalizing an unhealthy level of self censorship and associated tension. She's unwittingly trained herself to cater tirelessly to her girlfriend's notably lazy and confusing attempts at communication, with a sort of masochism which Glasses herself seems unaware that she's placing on herself. Even if Mayumayu didn't torment Glasses and threaten her constantly--like a grotesque creep--Glasses' own self-abnegation has clearly damaged her psyche, and made her a nervous wreck. Glasses probably already operates with a higher degree of tension than is healthy, but she needs a more supportive partner, who doesn't weigh down celebrations and gift exchanges with catastrophic threats.

You can say that both partners here have agreed to this relationship, so no one should split them asunder, but Glasses is clearly traumatized here, and holding on for dear life. The relationship has been a long one, and Glasses indicates that this has been the status quo the whole time. I think of it a bit like the traumatized soldiers who come to feel more at home on the battlefield than off it; regardless of what the soldier thinks they want, it isn't a healthy attitude for them, and they generally need help to get rid of this subliminal programming––it's a defense mechanism kicking into gear to help them survive their trauma. It isn't who they are at a baseline level; it's the adrenaline doing the talking. Well, it's the adrenaline talking with Glasses, too. She's made it this far, and it makes her feel like she's achieved something, and she subliminally feels closer to Mayumayu as a result. It probably only rarely occurs to her how much the relationship is stressing her out--but it's very clear in the comic, and it's what makes the comic such an uncomfortable read. And even though the knife Mayumayu brandishes could be read as metaphorical, just what is it standing in for? Let's not forget, Glasses is so worried about not guessing the correct cake to eat, she is definitely––not merely metaphorically––doing self-harm, and buying herself extra time with her emotionally unstable girlfriend in order to hopefully get the answer to the question. Nonetheless, punching herself in the face is clearly standing in for some torment Glasses thinks her girlfriend would want her to suffer for not getting the riddle right so far. It's a pretty good indication that Glasses at least perceives Mayumayu's angry responses to her as coming with a measure of deliberate hurt attached. You might say all that indicates is Glasses' perception of the stakes of this game, but we see a lot of evidence that Mayumayu is playing along with it, and it certainly seems like the way the game is played in the story is the usual way the game is played between these two––with Glasses the put-upon one, expected to perform to prove herself worthy, and Mayumayu as the judge of Glasses' performance, and the one who doles out punishments and rewards.

To my mind, Glasses would do better with a more even-keeled girlfriend, who treated her like a partner in their relationship, rather than treating her as someone continually auditioning to be treated like a human being. And I think Mayumayu needs to be alone––at least for a while. She needs to learn to judge which of her expectations of people are reasonable, and she needs to learn how to handle disappointments with responses more appropriate to the nature of disappointment in question. Based on my own experience, I'm probably more naturally biased towards Glasses, but I have to admit that Glasses' own unacknowledged masochism has probably led her into this situation. However, that is, I think, a trait which might most often dissipate without the expectation by her partner to be constantly performing this masochism, as a demonstration of devotion.

Anyways, in spite of the pretty drawings, the story of this one really harshed my vibe. I guess it's a little funny, but it bothered me much more than it entertained.

Oh god, this also unearthed the traumatic memories I had just coming out of my recent relationship a few months ago, LOL.

Still, I can understand the characters and their relationship are both fictional and exaggerated, so this one-shot was alright, but I guess it also harshed my vibe a little for personal reasons.

__kuroki_tomoko_watashi_ga_motenai_no_wa_dou_kangaetemo_omaera_ga_warui_drawn_by_koma_neko__a89746e3c7c5c963021ed2b43eb5d032
joined Oct 16, 2021

yandere gf is my dream gf fr

same same

Dashing
joined Nov 19, 2018

Yanderes are The Best!!!

I want to read Dynasty comments ONCE without complaints about abuse or toxic relationships.

Tell me about it...

last edited at Jan 21, 2023 5:25PM

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

Okay? Well I don’t. I think it’s valuable for people to share experiënces and I enjoy reading people’s critical responses to and analyses of stories and art. I also acknowledge that not everyone wants to see that, and that’s perfectly fine, but you can just ignore them rather than criticize people for posting them. It’s not inherently harmful so I don’t see why you feel the need to complain about it.

Screenshot%202023-12-06%20155837
joined Dec 4, 2023

Two girls celebrating with a cup sounds really fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The yandere girl is so pretty, I wouldn't lowkey mind dating her (lmao shallow)

last edited at Jan 3, 2024 6:42AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.