Forum › I Won 300 Million Yen in a Lottery so I Started Raising a Freeloader Pretty Girl discussion

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Mariya is a bit dim

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Spending $5000 a day, $3 million would last 600 days, less than 2 years. Spending $500/day would last 16 years.

Seconded, 300mn yen is about 2.3mn USD approx according to Xe currently. So we're looking at about 15 months at 5k USD a day. Worth?

These winnings wouldn't set you up for life but they would definitely give you a headstart. You'd still need a job but it could be something you want to do instead of something that pays the most. Just need to be financially sensible and not pick up random cute freeloading girls.

joined Dec 13, 2020

300 million aren't enough to support a Thot!!

&

300 million yen is less than 3 million dollars and rent is astronomically high idk if this money is going to last longer than five years

&

Nitpick: 300 million yen isn't quite enough to not work for the rest of your life in a city and also pay for a second person for that same time period unless you also invest it.

You reasonable, well-meaning people are missing an important point: the MC doesn't plan to live 40 or 50 years on that money. It's a plot point already established that she believes she has used up all her life's luck and thinks there's a good chance she will be struck down by lightning tomorrrow.... so she doesn't plan to save for her old age: she wants to SPLURGE and live high on the hog!
I'm certain that the role the 'thot' will play in this story is to help the MC spend money like an oil tycoon and enjoy the good things in life. As for how long the 300 million yen will last—and what will happen when the MC finds herself stone broke—your guess is as good as mine.
My guess: the two girls will fall in love, so thot-chan won't leave the penniless MC (and look for another sugar mommy) as would normally be the case, but will instead stick to her and the two will live happily ever after. Because romantic comedy, right?

How about this, the ho takes everything and scrams like the golddigger she is, then lottery woman finds a homely girl who really cares about her and deserves her love, and in this way she learns looks aren't everything.

Oh shit, run for the hills, everyone! The PC police is among us.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

You can BUY an apartment? Not a building, but a singular apartment?

And wow, since it cost anywhere between 10 and 90 million, that's a hefty chunk of her fortune already gone. Hope she's happy with the place 'cus she's definitely gonna have to stay there for a while at that price point.

last edited at May 14, 2022 2:22AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

What's with the top right not-panel on p.19 (2nd page of ch.2)? Is that supposed to be a reflection? There seem to be two bodies ...

joined Jan 14, 2020

You can BUY an apartment? Not a building, but a singular apartment?

In the USA we tend to call those "condos". I think "buy an apartment" is what's used in Europe, or maybe Britain and Ireland, since no one else would be using English for daily stuff.

And wow, since it cost anywhere between 10 and 90 million, that's a hefty chunk of her fortune already gone. Hope she's happy with the place 'cus she's definitely gonna have to stay there for a while at that price point.

10 million would be a small chunk, 90 million almost a third. Either way, it would eliminate her monthly rent (offset by some ownership fees, usually less than rent.)

These winnings wouldn't set you up for life but they would definitely give you a headstart. You'd still need a job

$2.3 million, spread over a life expectancy of 60 years (given that she's already 20+) is $38,000 a year. Not entirely "need a job", though it would be prudent.

last edited at May 14, 2022 3:30AM

joined Apr 14, 2022
  1. They live in Japan. 300 million yen is worth 300 million yen. There is no sense in converting to USD when talking about living conditions. The domestic price of rent and rice does not fluctuate by 10-20% on an annual basis like exchange rates do.

2. Purchasing property does not diminish your net wealth, because it is an asset you can sell, and usually at a profit as time passes. If you have cash, it's very financially prudent to do so, considering owning the roof over your head drastically reduces living expenses without the need to pay rent or a mortgage. Rather than her fortune being "gone", paying money into the black hole that is rent is what actually makes wealth disappear (a fact which massively contributes to generational poverty, I should note).

3. 300 million is more than enough to last you for life, if you invest responsibly in things like index funds and don't spend the seed money. A modest 5% annual return would provide you with 15 million in passive income per year, or even if she spent 1/3rd of the money on property, 10 million in passive income plus not paying rent plus the appreciation in value on her property.

last edited at May 14, 2022 4:56AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016
  1. They live in Japan. 300 million yen is worth 300 million yen. There is no sense in converting to USD when talking about living conditions. The domestic price of rent and rice does not fluctuate by 10-20% on an annual basis like exchange rates do.

2. Purchasing property does not diminish your net wealth, because it is an asset you can sell, and usually at a profit as time passes. If you have cash, it's very financially prudent to do so, considering owning the roof over your head drastically reduces living expenses without the need to pay rent or a mortgage. Rather than her fortune being "gone", paying money into the black hole that is rent is what actually makes wealth disappear (a fact which massively contributes to generational poverty, I should note).

3. 300 million is more than enough to last you for life, if you invest responsibly in things like index funds and don't spend the seed money. A modest 5% annual return would provide you with 15 million in passive income per year, or even if she spent 1/3rd of the money on property, 10 million in passive income plus not paying rent plus the appreciation in value on her property.

Based. But Tenma is still supremely sus, and Mariya does not look like a person who makes good long-term financial decisions.

joined May 29, 2021

A modest 5% annual return

That's the problem. That's almost unheard of these days. Interest rates are way lower now. Also, yes converting to USD is perfectly fine for a baseline of understanding how much that is in general. Things aren't cheaper in Japan on average. The prices just have more zeroes because the yen is worth less than a dollar. In any case, that amount of money COULD set you up for life but not an extravagant one. You'd have to live like a normal person. Yes, a home is an asset (though I've never heard of "buying" apartment, so if she's just renting that's a net loss) but big shopping sprees are not. And the attitude of "I have tons of money so it's okay!" is exactly how lottery winners so often go broke. At the very least Tenma doesn't seem to be actively encouraging her to splurge (she's kind of doing that herself) but even still, this girl is gonna go broke in a few years at this rate.

last edited at May 14, 2022 5:52AM

joined Apr 14, 2022

That's the problem. That's almost unheard of these days. Interest rates are way lower now.

Not a savings account, investment. That's a completely normal return for investing in government bonds or something like the S&P 500, which are both very safe investments over the long term and will be for the foreseeable future, probably until the collapse of capitalism (in which case you might have other things to worry about than not getting your annual 5% return on investment).

Also, yes converting to USD is perfectly fine for a baseline of understanding how much that is in general

I wouldn't go further than establishing an approximate understanding that 1 yen = ~1 cent, in terms of domestic spending. My problem with using Current Moment exchange rates is how it seriously undervalues how far the yen will go in Japan; the yen fell by 20% against the dollar in the past year, but domestic prices most certainly have not increased by 20%, so it's pretty misrepresentative to convert to a number that's 20 or 30% lower. That's just always been a pet peeve of mine, that people treat yen like it's literally stapled to dollar bills and convert the price of daily expenses in Japan to a completely different number every month as it fluctuates. Especially when scanlators do it, putting an unnecessarily 'accurate' conversion for readers to see that will be especially inaccurate for people not reading the day it was uploaded.

You'd have to live like a normal person

For sure, it's nowhere near opulence money. But living like a normal person that doesn't have to work is a pretty dang sweet deal, I'd say!

Mariya does not look like a person who makes good long-term financial decisions
this girl is gonna go broke in a few years at this rate

This is probably true.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

300 million aren't enough to support a Thot!!

&

300 million yen is less than 3 million dollars and rent is astronomically high idk if this money is going to last longer than five years

&

Nitpick: 300 million yen isn't quite enough to not work for the rest of your life in a city and also pay for a second person for that same time period unless you also invest it.

You reasonable, well-meaning people are missing an important point: the MC doesn't plan to live 40 or 50 years on that money. It's a plot point already established that she believes she has used up all her life's luck and thinks there's a good chance she will be struck down by lightning tomorrrow.... so she doesn't plan to save for her old age: she wants to SPLURGE and live high on the hog!
I'm certain that the role the 'thot' will play in this story is to help the MC spend money like an oil tycoon and enjoy the good things in life. As for how long the 300 million yen will last—and what will happen when the MC finds herself stone broke—your guess is as good as mine.
My guess: the two girls will fall in love, so thot-chan won't leave the penniless MC (and look for another sugar mommy) as would normally be the case, but will instead stick to her and the two will live happily ever after. Because romantic comedy, right?

How about this, the ho takes everything and scrams like the golddigger she is, then lottery woman finds a homely girl who really cares about her and deserves her love, and in this way she learns looks aren't everything.

Oh shit, run for the hills, everyone! The PC police is among us.

hi it's me, the "pc police" police, that person was getting worked up about a woman being a "ho" and a "golddigger", what are you on about?

Ayuwaka
joined May 27, 2018

The hobo girl didn't really look that cute? She just want your easy money, silly MC.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

^^ and ^
Many seem to think Tenmakyun is a hobo and a ho.
Then the right term for her is... a hoboho or a hohobo? Which one is better?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

^^ and ^

"Hoboho" sounds too much like "Robocop" to me, so "hohobo" would be my preference.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

I like how the rich girl is trying to have some self control with the girl and I am curious to see how long she will holdout.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

The point of converting it is just to give non-japanese people a better idea of how much money is being talked about.

1. Purchasing property does not diminish your net wealth, because it is an asset you can sell, and usually at a profit as time passes. If you have cash, it's very financially prudent to do so, considering owning the roof over your head drastically reduces living expenses without the need to pay rent or a mortgage. Rather than her fortune being "gone", paying money into the black hole that is rent is what actually makes wealth disappear (a fact which massively contributes to generational poverty, I should note).

Net wealth is "only" an estimate and can't be withdrawn from quickly in the event of an emergency.
If she needs money suddenly, a large net worth isn't worth anything at all to a normal person. Anyone savvy obviously wouldn't get to that point barring extreme circumstances, but given the way the MC is with money, I wouldn't put it past her to spend all her money without realizing it and ending up broke out of nowhere. In which case, her net worth wouldn't be relevant since selling the apartment wouldn't happen quickly enough to keep her off the streets for a few weeks. (At which point you've already "lost" even thought you eventually get the worth from the apartment back, and given the urgency to sell, I wouldn't count on getting full price.)

So yeah, while I think you have a point that buying a home isn't a "loss" so much as an "investment" in the long run, in the case of this MC specifically, I would very much consider it a reckless expenditure when she hasn't even made any plans at all for her economy yet.

1. 300 million is more than enough to last you for life, if you invest responsibly in things like index funds and don't spend the seed money. A modest 5% annual return would provide you with 15 million in passive income per year, or even if she spent 1/3rd of the money on property, 10 million in passive income plus not paying rent plus the appreciation in value on her property.

This assumes the person with the money is both savvy with money and has the disposition to get things done. I think you're drastically overestimating the average person's financial know-how and willingness to manage their financials. Most people would likely just try to hire someone else to handle everything pertaining to their economy for them.

The MC in this case is clearly not knowledgeable enough to do any of those things you suggested unless someone else explicitly gets involved and pushes her to do them. (Which might be where the sugar honey comes into things in the long run, but who knows.)

joined Jan 14, 2020

yes converting to USD is perfectly fine for a baseline of understanding how much that is in general. Things aren't cheaper in Japan on average. The prices just have more zeroes because the yen is worth less than a dollar.

Yes, but the typical exchange rate has been 90-110 yen to the dollar. Currently it's 130 yen, but that's an extreme, and doesn't mean that housing in Japan became 30% more expensive for Japanese people. Using a more average exchange rate like 100 would be more indicative of the non-import standard of living she can maintain.

I've never heard of "buying" apartment

I have! It is a thing that happens. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=buying+an+apartment+in+japan&ia=web

That's a completely normal return for investing in government bonds or something like the S&P 500, which are both very safe investments

Please show us where you can get 5% by investing in safe government bonds. US Treasuries are under 3%, and that's with inflation picking up. US inflation-protected bonds (TIPS) have a pre-inflation rate of 0.13%. Japanese 30 year bonds have a 1% yield now. 0.8% at 20 years, 0.2% at 10 years.

The stock market has been doing much better, somewhat unreasonably so IMO, but also comes with a risk of bad timing and losing half your money.

joined May 1, 2013

Yuri manga love interest: "You can totally have sex with me, if you want! I find you super attractive, and I can tell you like me! See, like, right now, I'm hitting on you so blatantly, it would be obvious to blind aliens. Do you want to go be naked in a room together?"

Yuri manga protagonist: "We've become friendly perhaps?"

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

This woman is going to go broke so quickly. Impulse-buying expensive stuff without a care is what wipes out lottery winners.

joined May 23, 2021

^^ and ^

Hohobo-ho Ho-hobo

kuroyurihime00
Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

How is Mariya so okay with this?? She's all give and I don't see her taking anything. I don't get how someone can be so okay with being used like this. She likes her face so she raises her like a pet and nothing else? Even if we take away any sexual favors, there has to be something else she wants in return, right? If it were me, I'd at least tell Tenma to cook my meals. Honestly, I'm more interested in how Mariya's brain works than in Tenma's background/story.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I’ve noticed that some people have a hard time understanding that characters in fiction are not them, and won’t always behave the way that they would behave if they were in the same situation.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

How is Mariya so okay with this?? She's all give and I don't see her taking anything. I don't get how someone can be so okay with being used like this. She likes her face so she raises her like a pet and nothing else? Even if we take away any sexual favors, there has to be something else she wants in return, right? If it were me, I'd at least tell Tenma to cook my meals. Honestly, I'm more interested in how Mariya's brain works than in Tenma's background/story.

Why do people have cats and dogs?

Because they're adorable and precious and we love them irrationally for it. Getting to see them happy and safe is the reward, pure serotonin!

Screenshot%202022-04-17%2012.01.52%20pm
joined Sep 21, 2019

I’ve noticed that some people have a hard time understanding that characters in fiction are not them, and won’t always behave the way that they would behave if they were in the same situation.

You've described at least 50% of the people who post in the Dynasty forums.

joined Jan 3, 2022

Why do people have cats and dogs?

Because they're adorable and precious and we love them irrationally for it. Getting to see them happy and safe is the reward, pure serotonin!

Thats not a good comparison tho...
Taking care of a human def gonna cost way more than a pet. And taking care of a pet would definitely be more rewarding.
Pets are innocent creatures, little, real life cinnamon rolls, with no hidden motives or agendas- of course we're gonna love em irrationally!
Plus, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on clothes for pets.

I get 300 mn yen is a lot, but the Mariya is also spending a lot, and isn't making ANYTHING so like, some point both Tenma and Mariya are gonna end up homeless.

To reply you must either login or sign up.