Forum › The Magician Who Loved a Fake discussion

Glsp3y3v_400x400
joined Nov 19, 2020

!!!! Ashiyama !!!

The Gensokyo of Humans is one of my favorite dj's! Alongside At Chirei, it's what I use to get my friends into Touhou! This is super super exciting :D

Edit: I wonder if there's gonna be a romance, with the title and all... fingers crossed for yuri as opposed to het, but we'll see...

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 6:57AM

Yeah
joined Apr 14, 2021

Bro this art is amazig

Plasma%20pea
joined Jan 26, 2021

Ooh, I love the art of this. This guy is also the one that made The Gensokyo of Humans? Guess I should read that as well soon

joined Jun 5, 2018

I mean, from the same author, so instant sub. Interesting premise nontheless, and I wonder if this takes after gensokyo of humans, before, or even in a different timeline? Can the translator say something more?

joined Apr 24, 2020

I mean, from the same author, so instant sub. Interesting premise nontheless, and I wonder if this takes after gensokyo of humans, before, or even in a different timeline? Can the translator say something more?

I don't have any secret insight, but being a big fan of GoH, I obviously wondered about that too. While GoH explicitly took place in "the future" from most Touhou stories' point of view (and even on a real-life calendar), until proven otherwise I'll have to assume that this one takes place in the same non-specific "present" as most do. However, unless there's some specific reference, it could also be afterwards; I would say the characters look younger here, but that could come down to art style changes, and it's not like they exactly looked "old" in GoH either.

Different timeline is more or less impossible to speculate on, but with GoH, I did think that some of its Reimu characterization for instance was made more fun by assuming it took place in the context of Ashiyama's other, previous doujins.

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 12:54PM

Ke_Zukulenzia
joined Jul 23, 2019

I only realized this was from the same person who made Gensokyo of Humans when I started reading. My bad. Should have checked the name of the mangaka before starting.
I never liked GoH so I'm gonna give this one a pass too.

joined Jun 5, 2018

I don't have any secret insight, but being a big fan of GoH, I obviously wondered about that too. While GoH explicitly took place in "the future" from most Touhou stories' point of view (and even on a real-life calendar), until proven otherwise I'll have to assume that this one takes place in the same non-specific "present" as most do. However, unless there's some specific reference, it could also be afterwards; I would say the characters look younger here, but that could come down to art style changes, and it's not like they exactly looked "old" in GoH either.

Different timeline is more or less impossible to speculate on, but with GoH, I did think that some of its Reimu characterization for instance was made more fun by assuming it took place in the context of Ashiyama's other, previous doujins.

Alright, I guess us keen readers will keep a lookout on any references. Do you plan on translating all their doujins - since you said there have been more than one.

joined Apr 24, 2020

Alright, I guess us keen readers will keep a lookout on any references. Do you plan on translating all their doujins - since you said there have been more than one.

I've translated two on Danbooru, but they haven't been typeset.
https://safebooru.donmai.us/pools/gallery?commit=Search&search%5Bname_matches%5D=ashiyama+yoshinori

They have a long, ongoing tengu series on Pixiv, which I shamefully haven't read most of yet, and which is probably a high hurdle to get translated due to its length - but it would be great to do, over a long time.
https://www.pixiv.net/user/782478/series/64086

Other than that, they have one longer book on E-Hentai (which is unfortunately one of the best places to find scans of SFW doujins too, but which I'm not going to link here) that would be fun to translate at some point.

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 2:30PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

Bro this art is amazig

The story isn't half-bad either.

Plasma%20pea
joined Jan 26, 2021

I was about to comment how Reimu didn't notice Marisa being missing before getting into the library, but Patchouli dropping that Marisa became the fully fledge Magician is... Oh no. Time to hope that Reimu just looks at Marisa in the eye and just goes "Eh, you don't live in the village. You get a pass."

joined Jul 12, 2020

Seem like the book enhance user magic capability. For those village it give them abilities to use basic spell and magic, but since Marisa is already a magician, it give her abandon food magic instead.

joined Feb 7, 2013

I like how Patchy just gets lazy and starts lounging in the air. It's so cute when she rolls over on page 23.

joined Jun 5, 2018

Seem like the book enhance user magic capability. For those village it give them abilities to use basic spell and magic, but since Marisa is already a magician, it give her abandon food magic instead.

Makes sense, but I would have thought that marisa has not performed the abandon food magic not because she cant, but rather because she chooses not to. Maybe she did it by accident in the basement? Like a reflex? And who bound magic books on the dogs? Flandre, you little shit

Edit: actually, never mind. Its not really inferred if marisa is capable or not. Patchouli stated about "one foot in the hole". That does not mean Marisa doesnt want to, it simply says she hasnt yet. I wonder if the author will follow the common belief that marisa doesnt want to become a yokai, or if theyll change it up.

last edited at Mar 31, 2022 8:29AM

Plasma%20pea
joined Jan 26, 2021

The artist's version of Byakuren looks weird to me. I really like it, she looks so comfy, but it doesn't hit my checkmarks of Byakuren

joined Mar 27, 2018

Byakuren laying down the instant smackdown and Marisa having an existential crisis. Great chapter

Glsp3y3v_400x400
joined Nov 19, 2020

Never enough dj's with byakuren throwing fists

joined Jun 5, 2018

The artist's version of Byakuren looks weird to me. I really like it, she looks so comfy, but it doesn't hit my checkmarks of Byakuren

Same, but I guess I can overlook such a little "blunder" by the staggering plot and worldbuilding that is presented here.

joined Feb 29, 2020

So with what we see to this point, seem like the books forced Magician State onto reader, and also seem to have some effect on their mind too, with how fake magicians are, and the sudden Marisa decided to kill a fake magician if Byakuren didn't stop him first.
Seem like interesting premise for now.

joined Jul 12, 2020

Is Marisa intend to kill that guy or just she too strong now that she unconsciously used too much power for the shot?

joined Nov 9, 2021

this is the first time ive read this guy's stuff (and reading similar in general) but i think this is really great cant wait for the next one (just read the previous two too,)

joined Jun 5, 2018

I wanted to reference the manga, which had Marisa temporarily become a witch by eating a "magic mushroom". But then the end of this chapter made me sad.

Btw, the dolls of the deceased witch remind me of pinocchio...

last edited at Jun 2, 2022 2:31AM

Index
joined Oct 21, 2021

love the atmosphere

joined Jun 5, 2018

Next time, they should glue the book on their hands before apprehending them, so they can actually interrogate them about the source. That is, if they can be interrogated.

joined May 11, 2021

This chapter teaches us that even Marisa who was disowned by her family can be disconnected from what others are going through. I liked what the author is doing here

Edito__fujiwara_no_mokou_touhou_drawn_by_heran_hei_mao__5b381032c7bc2dcdb68b33e9175a5ddc-min
joined Apr 18, 2021

Today I learn that Narumi is counted as a magician and not some jizo yokai, well you learn something new everyday

To reply you must either login or sign up.