Forum › Mistress and Maid discussion

Kobayashismile
joined Apr 7, 2021

god i love maid yuri

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

You know guys, I have a suspicion. The hints are really subtle, so I'm not certain, but putting the pieces together I've come to an earthshaking conclusion.

...I think Zanka might really like Maid x Mistress yuri.

joined Jul 26, 2016

You know guys, I have a suspicion. The hints are really subtle, so I'm not certain, but putting the pieces together I've come to an earthshaking conclusion.

holy shit

mind=blown

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Holy cow. That changes everything!

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

"She is living with just I, her maid"

Oh, grammer hard being!

I believe the sentence is grammatically correct.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Oh, grammer hard being!

I believe not, in standard English.

"She is living with me."

"She is living with him."

"She is living with them."

Not "with I", "with he", or "with they".

joined Aug 29, 2019

Oh, grammer hard being!

I believe not, in standard English.

"She is living with me."

"She is living with him."

"She is living with them."

Not "with I", "with he", or "with they".

Well... the phrase "It is I" instead of "It is me" is, at least in today's use, very stylized and formal, which alluding to may have been the intention here. I'm not convinced that "with I" can be correct, but considering creative license and how it kinda works for emphatic effect, I wouldn't fret over it.

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Well... the phrase "It is I" instead of "It is me"

Saying "It is I" is still wrong, and it only ever done to parody someone who is overly dramatic (like Leclerc in 'Allo 'Allo). The flub appears to have been fixed now though, but I would suggest they get someone to proofread the text before release.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Ahh saved the best for last. Older maid and younger mistress. Now that's the stuff.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Saying "It is I" is still wrong, and it only ever done to parody someone who is overly dramatic (like Leclerc in 'Allo 'Allo). The flub appears to have been fixed now though, but I would suggest they get someone to proofread the text before release.

To quote from this article on Merriam-Webster:
"While there was some heated debate about the matter in the 18th century—mostly a single It is me defender was quickly outnumbered by some influential It is I people—by the early part of the 20th century the majority of those who make recommendations about such things were acknowledging that it is me is perfectly fine, especially in informal use. Both forms have existed for centuries, with it is me tending to appear in more relaxed contexts even long ago."

Another explanation can be found on Thesaurus.org.

This does not mean, however, that the version used in the former edit was correct, only that what it seemed to allude to is.

Also yay for more lewd maid.

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 7:45AM

Imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-ydiwshq0rx
joined Jan 5, 2021

Now im intrigued, are there a similar manga/doujin like this but instead with male ? Doesn't matter if it's yaoi or het

joined Aug 29, 2019

Now im intrigued, are there a similar manga/doujin like this but instead with male ? Doesn't matter if it's yaoi or het

Do you mean with a male butler or male master? Or does it not matter?

Imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-ydiwshq0rx
joined Jan 5, 2021

^
anything will do ( ´◡‿ゝ◡`)

joined Aug 29, 2019

It's a bit less lewd, but you might enjoy Konbu Wakame's My Recently Hired Maid Is Suspicious. There's a webcomic version as well as a serialization, as I just found out - I only knew of the webcomic before now. The webcomic is in the form of shorts (4 pages or so per chapter) while the serialization is short to medium-length chapters (15-20).

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 10:14AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To quote from this article on Merriam-Webster:
"While there was some heated debate about the matter in the 18th century—mostly a single It is me defender was quickly outnumbered by some influential It is I people—by the early part of the 20th century the majority of those who make recommendations about such things were acknowledging that it is me is perfectly fine, especially in informal use. Both forms have existed for centuries, with it is me tending to appear in more relaxed contexts even long ago."

Another explanation can be found on Thesaurus.org.

This does not mean, however, that the version used in the former edit was correct, only that what it seemed to allude to is.

As you say, "It is I" is technically correct, although in usage notably formal. It sounds a bit more normal with a following phrase: "It is I who comes to see you today."

The manga example is grammatically incorrect; the preposition "with" demands the objective case: "me."

Usage gets confusing because of a very common overcorrection concerning dual pronouns. Having been scolded for saying things like "Him and me went to the store," which sb: "He and I went to the store" (i.e., subjective case) people end up saying "Mom went to the store with my sister and I," when they would never say, "Mom went to the store with I."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Excellent!

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 2:04PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

"It is I" is older and more consistent grammar.

"It is I who killed the butler!"

"It is she who killed the butler!"

vs. "It is me who killed the butler!"

"It is her who killed the butler!"

or "It is them who killed the butler!"

Relevant formal grammatical concepts are subject vs. object pronouns, and copula verbs ('is') vs. prepositional use ('living with')

Granted, if there isn't any trailing part, then "it is me." or "it is her." have come to sound more natural than "it is she" or "it is they." (ouch)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Once again, excellent! ^_^

Surely they studied a lot after this.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Once again, excellent! ^_^

Surely they studied a lot after this.

STUDYING INTENSIFIES

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Teenage girl hasn't left her house since she was born?

Reminds me of a girl I dated shortly after high school. She was 17 years old (I was 18, and only about 6 months older than she was) and she had never been further than five miles from her house in her entire life. Took her on a date to a nearby town, we got about 10 miles down the road, she started having a panic attack. Furthest she'd ever been from her house in her life. Had to turn around and take her back home.

Relationship didn't last much longer after that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

she had never been further than five miles from her house in her entire life

TBF this was par for the course for most country folk before about the mid-1800s. Social historians and demographers note that the advent of the cheap mass-produced bicycle later in the century substantially improved rural genetic health by roughly doubling the distance over which it was practical for men to seek spouses...

joined Jan 14, 2020

"But it's a big house!"

..no, still ridiculous.

TBF this was par for the course for most country folk before about the mid-1800s.

Without having a very good idea of the source data, I take all such claims with a big chunk of salt; I suspect a lot is people projecting what they think is reasonable, it's not like we have movement tracking data.

When 5 miles was like a 1.5-2 hour walk, it probably would not be a daily thing for most people (unless your fields or pastures were scattered.) But market towns, fairs, pilgrimages (even for poor people), and military service were all things that could pull one out of one's usual range, not to mention even just going for a long walk. So "most never went more than 5 miles" is a pretty strong claim, IMO.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Keep calm? You sure didn't keep calm last time...

And 14 is just adorable even if shorter than usual. ^_^

"But it's a big house!"

..no, still ridiculous.

Estate, not house. That implies quite a bit more than just staying in the house.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Ah, good point. I was responding to the comment, not to the manga!

Though even for a very large estate, like a square mile, that would still be more limited than the average peasant.

last edited at Oct 6, 2021 4:31PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

True enough. But also plausible enough.

To reply you must either login or sign up.