Forum › Mako-chan And The Sea discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Faune Actually I think this is the only time I can recall the annoying 'I would date you if i was a boy' being answered with 'even if your not a boy its fine' !

Ec324dcc-cdf2-41b8-a84a-08270b64c8bc
joined Feb 20, 2019

So wholesome and sweet. That’s understandable to being curious about a taste of who you love

Bentoki Uploader
Vgz0nqk
Helvetica Scans
joined Jul 20, 2021

Er, so why was she teased and why did she have to tell the teacher how to say her first name? Am i misunderstanding something? Her first name is Mako right- written in katakana - マコ ? That is incredibly straight forward to read even for children. And pussy is omanko from what i remember - オマンコ.

They are calling her that even tho only half the characters are the same and are not even together? It doesnt sound that similar either?

Basically Mako as a name isn't normally spelled in katakana, but manko is (the "o" is optional), so it's easier to either misinterpret or make jokes about it. It's the same thing as the Wako/Wanko joke from The Two of Them, since both Wako and wanko are written in hiragana. An English equivalent would be how the number 40, written as "forty", might look a bit like "farty".

We never see her name spelled in the story, but is it possible that the original was actually Makko (マッコ)? That would make the transition to マンコ much more obvious, especially when hand-written.

https://i.imgur.com/S6ymVUu.png

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Wow that escalated quickly

Bentoki Uploader
Vgz0nqk
Helvetica Scans
joined Jul 20, 2021

the 3rd kanji, by itself is read as “man”
so it’s understandable ppl would read her name as MANKO instead of MAKO
which is why she started using katakana to write her own name instead of the kanji

https://i.imgur.com/2KAu888.png

last edited at Aug 23, 2021 1:51PM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

That was really sweet and uplifting ! Fairly true to life too, the representation of the general awkwardness of adolescence, burgeoning sexuality, etc. Even the ''trying to flirt with a person of the same sex but not knowing quite how '' part was pretty realistic. I actually have used the ''I would totally date you if I were a boy '' line IRL so that gave me a bit of a chuckle. Fun read all around!

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

It tastes like the sea

hilariously poetic and sweet even tho i'd never see the sea the same way again

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

which is why she started using katakana to write her own name instead of the kanji

Ah okay. That was kinda lost upon me since all the Japanese text got translated.

Bentoki Uploader
Vgz0nqk
Helvetica Scans
joined Jul 20, 2021

We were thinking of leaving it in or subbing it and explaining it but decided not too, guess that was a mistake

Covermonster_2
joined Apr 23, 2020

@elevown I know right ! I can't recall any other reactions than heavy silences™ and meaningful angsty looks™, except here. Makes this one, and its glint of relatable awkwardness, all the more memorable.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

That was kinda cute

Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

oh my god beautoful

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

This story has:
An awkward, relatable main girl who actually discovers she’s gay af, a cute genki girl love interest, meaningful gazes between the two, “you’ve got something on your cheek,” enamored hair touching, a successful confession, sex, and on top of that, they go to the sea and it’s not for some angsty reason. This might be the quintessential yuri one-shot.

Side note, when Shiina used that “I would date you if I were a boy” line, I was honestly pretty worried their love would turn out unfulfilled considering the drama tag. Luckily, Mako was quick to the draw and made this one of my favorite one-shots yet.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Do people really think pussy tastes like the sea? Never tasted that way to me.

joined May 25, 2017

oo i love this one, love the references to water and love mako's character design

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Beautiful oneshot, although I wish it was a few pages longer. Love Shiina's hair.

snoopy_from_peanuts
Tumblr_mrfzgkpani1rzp26no5_250
joined Aug 11, 2021

when you've been called "pussy" your entire childhood that it made you think about it and eventually become gay

Well, it's something I guess. It ain't the best way but...

they say you are what you eat, so i guess it kind of works on a meta level

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

"Your pussy taste like a sea"

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Having a high school yuri story with sexual themes that is frank without being leery is so incredibly refreshing.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Cool- thanks for that :) So when she said her name was written in katakana I was assuming that is how it was written on her family register by her parents but its NOT- she has taken to writing it that way herself to try to stop the comparison and misunderstandings and teasings. Its a nice little extra detail to the story.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

This one goes to my favorite list, it's so sweet. The stories about discovering one's sexuality are always nice.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Really great lettering

last edited at Aug 24, 2021 12:11AM

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

Hey sis, can I eat your pussy? No homo, of course.
Sure!
Would this work IRL?

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Does the author has Twitter or Pixiv account?? I find their art style cute

Bentoki Uploader
Vgz0nqk
Helvetica Scans
joined Jul 20, 2021

I couldn't find it, I don't even think that their other series "Isekai de Imouto Tenshi to Nani ka Suru" which is an adaption of a LN is on english databases

To reply you must either login or sign up.