Forum › Addressed to Site Owners - Yuri/GL Main site or another mangadex/mangafox

joined Feb 8, 2016

I have noticed over maybe the last 6 months to 1 year, I could be off as I suffer from epilepsy and my short term memory can get off a bit, but there has been a steady increase in uploaded manga, such as "Everyday Monster Girls" which are an HET manga unrelated to any yuri or gl events in the series. It is basically a harem, fan service manga common on scanalation sites these days. It was noted in comments that the uploaded personnel knew it had been licensed and that chapters should have been taken down as was done with "First Love Sisters." The uploaded comment was that she knew of this but "shrugged her shoulders" and uploaded licensed chapters anyway. My points are twofold, 1) this is the height of hypocrisy to upload licensed manga chapters (again are not yuri/gl) and to delete licensed chapters of a strictly yuri manga volume, and 2) is this mainly a yuri site or not. I have been a member here for many years and the site has always been marketed as a mainly yuri/gl site with the only HET was that which was relative to a yuri or gl story. A commenter named "none" posted that Dynasty was never a yuri site.
I am not sure who is running oversight on this site, but I fear if this trend continues, you are going to lose the support of many diehard yuri fans. If this is a matter of funds needed, why not make an announcement with some different ways funds could be raised. I would personally rather pay a small monthly fee then have to slog my way through many HET fan service stories trying to find those with a yuri or gl tag to make sure I get to the kind of story I want.
As owners of this site, can you please answer us these questions: Is this a site that has and does cater mainly to yuri and gl comic fans? If not, will you remove those things used as yuri marketing tools, such as the little girl in the hat on the D on the header word dynasty?
Because if this is in fact not a yur I site, then I will have ti find another site to refer people to and actually for me to go to as well cause I like going to a site that had 99.9% yuri/gl works. I hope you can answer these for me and I thank you in advance for your time.
Jsrail

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Everything ok?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Just blacklist Het tag, i don't know why people complain about het being uploaded when they just can blacklist the tag and don't see the het doujin anymore.

I have been a member here for many years and the site has always been marketed as a mainly yuri/gl site with the only HET was that which was relative to a yuri or gl story.

Rule 2 of the Upload request : "You may suggest het if the story is good or the comedy is good."

There was never such a rule about het only uploaded if it's within Yuri.

I am not sure who is running oversight on this site, but I fear if this trend continues, you are going to lose the support of many diehard yuri fans.

There is like a 100 or more yuri works uploaded for 1 Het, talk about overreacting.

but there has been a steady increase in uploaded manga, such as "Everyday Monster Girls" which are an HET manga unrelated to any yuri or gl events in the series.

There is barely any increase in het only publication on the site and again, you can just blacklist the tag.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Please stop responding to this thread. There's a lot of misconceptions to go through, it's better for me to just do it. I'll reply soon.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

jsrail posted:

I have noticed over maybe the last 6 months to 1 year, I could be off as I suffer from epilepsy and my short term memory can get off a bit, but there has been a steady increase in uploaded manga, such as "Everyday Monster Girls" which are an HET manga unrelated to any yuri or gl events in the series.

Your posts would be nicer to read if you put occasional line breaks between large walls of text. I'm not intending offence, it's just a bit hard to read when it's all text with no extra visual indicators for the eye to parse with. Everyday Monster Girls was last uploaded in 2016, it is not a new addition to the site and it was dropped by its uploader (for reasons I do not know).

It was noted in comments that the uploaded personnel knew it had been licensed and that chapters should have been taken down as was done with "First Love Sisters." The uploaded comment was that she knew of this but "shrugged her shoulders" and uploaded licensed chapters anyway. My points are twofold, 1) this is the height of hypocrisy to upload licensed manga chapters (again are not yuri/gl) and to delete licensed chapters of a strictly yuri manga volume

Given that this occurred 8 years ago, I do not much wish to discuss the particulars. It was 8 years ago. The current policy for licensing is stated in the FAQ, and reads as such:

" Why is my favourite series still on the Reader even though it was licensed?

Any work licensed in the US will be removed at the discretion of the publisher(s) and scanlation team(s) involved. Works that lack a scanlation until after the manga has been licensed are not typically uploaded, but exceptions may be made."

First Love Sisters was scanlated by Lililicious, a group that always does its best to erase its scanlations from the internet after they have been licensed. 14-sai no Koi, a primarily Het series, was also removed from the Reader when it became apparent to us that the translator for the first few volumes didn't wish for it to be distributed any longer.

2) is this mainly a yuri site or not.

Practically speaking, yes. Yuri currently makes up over ~80% of our catalogue, and when including Subtext and Yuri Crush, that number easily balloons to over ~85% of our catalogue. Contrary to what some may believe, Touhou Project is actually significantly more common on the site than Het, even when controlling for other factors. Further, yuri-related content as a percentage of the site's contents has actually grown in the last six years, from around ~78% in 2014 to around ~87% today.

I have been a member here for many years and the site has always been marketed as a mainly yuri/gl site with the only HET was that which was relative to a yuri or gl story.

I do not know who marketed it that way, but to the extent that the team has opined on this, I believe most would say, "We upload what we like, and most of what we like is yuri." It's not really more complicated than that.

I am not sure who is running oversight on this site, but I fear if this trend continues, you are going to lose the support of many diehard yuri fans.

I do not deny that it is possible that some fans of certain genres will leave the site if they find themselves unsatisfied.

If this is a matter of funds needed, why not make an announcement with some different ways funds could be raised. I would personally rather pay a small monthly fee then have to slog my way through many HET fan service stories trying to find those with a yuri or gl tag to make sure I get to the kind of story I want.

I do not believe that there currently is, or will be in the future, a "slog" of Het stories to wade through to find the content you wish to find. To the extent that a change has been observed, it represents only a very small trend that in the long-run will balance out. The site is in good financial standing, whatever uploading decisions are made has nothing to do with that. We have not ever and will not ever seek funds from users, in any form or fashion.

As owners of this site, can you please answer us these questions: Is this a site that has and does cater mainly to yuri and gl comic fans? If not, will you remove those things used as yuri marketing tools, such as the little girl in the hat on the D on the header word dynasty?

I think that is up to the fans of those genres to decide, as we cater only to our own interests. I'm not sure what the girl has to do with yuri specifically, but she won't be removed. She's an icon.

Because if this is in fact not a yur I site, then I will have ti find another site to refer people to and actually for me to go to as well cause I like going to a site that had 99.9% yuri/gl works. I hope you can answer these for me and I thank you in advance for your time.

Thank you too, take care.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I'm not sure what the girl has to do with yuri specifically, but she won't be removed. She's an icon.

*chukles*

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I'm not sure what the girl has to do with yuri specifically, but she won't be removed. She's an icon.

*chukles*

That was a funny part of this mess, yeah... As excellent as my goggles are, even I can't see one girl alone being indicative of yuri.

And looking at the het tag itself, we've had only five chapters with the tag in the last month, two of them also being tagged yuri, hardly such a huge number to complain about.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

The site was literally never marketed as such. Ever. Anywhere. I am talking specifically about the "only HET was that which was relative to a yuri or gl story". This was never stated by any site staffer in any thread. This is literally something you made up and then head-canoned it as true because it sounded true to you or some such.

A commenter named "none" posted that Dynasty was never a yuri site.

This is disingenuous in the extreme. What none actually said was that "Dynasty was never a yuri site, just a site with lots of yuri". The other part of the quote makes it more than clear, plus, in a follow-up post none explicitly stated that "no mod ever "marketed" it as a yuri- only site", which is completely true. Dynasty was never a yuri-only site.

You yourself call Dynasty a "mainly yuri site", which is absolutely correct. Your problem, however, seems to be that you are using the term "mainly" as a synonym for "only", which should go without saying is blatantly wrong.

Peko has provided actual statistics, so I will simply give an example in regards to tags. The list of individual chapters tagged with Het is currently 93 pages long, the list of Yaoi chapters is 15 pages long, and the Yuri list is 718 pages long.

This is not a yuri- only site. This never was a yuri-only site. This is a mostly-yuri site, and there are no indications of this status changing. The problem you are seeing literally does not exist.

last edited at Apr 8, 2021 11:11AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is not a yuri- only site. This never was a yuri-only site. This is a mostly-yuri site, and there are no indications of this status changing. The problem you are seeing literally does not exist.

But the person's feelings exist, and isn't it that which makes us truly human--our feelings? Are we doomed to live in a world where our precious feelings are crushed beneath a juggernaut of facts?

Ah, well, if crushed we must be, at least those facts are massively predominated by yuri.

868e64eacaeed480084b005ae21b7c4c
joined Jul 19, 2018

I thought this was a strictly Yuri site at first too. I don't feel the need to point fingers at anyone or imply that there shouldn't be het, but I have been deceived (probably not intentionally) into reading a het due to lacking tags at the time of posting and some of them involved possibly triggering/sensitive themes. This happened five-six times, and I worry about others who have experienced the same, with less tolerance. It's not just het manga either, as some Yuri involved these hiccups, before a tag suggestion... I'm not trying to place judgement or responsibility on someone, or make it seem like it's the sites fault, since I love this site and all the features and freedom of reading here. I wouldn't say this site ISN'T specifically geared towards Yuri, especially given the comments above, nor would I say that it is strictly advertised as Yuri. Though, you open the site, and see the links or references, it's pretty much implied, this is a "Yuri site," and moreso than I've ever seen. This is the closest I can think of when asked of mainly Yuri content... That's why I'm sure (though, I don't have any concrete evidence to validate) that most are probably surprised, and confused when finding het content.

The fact that it's not one person's decision as to what content is posted is illuminating on many things I've seen on here.

For a possible solution to any negative feedback, would it be possible to potentially partition the site slowly over time, or maybe recommend based on search/read content on a user's profile? Since this site is bound to blow up in scale in the future, with more and more content being created/posted. Maybe a feature geared towards separating triggering/unwanted topics/tagged manga on an alt version of the site, like the switching from desktop to mobile... blacklisting is available, but it took me a while to notice it's usage, as a new user with an account. I understand that it is important to hold true the sites status quo, as it works. And, that personal emotions of the individual readers aren't always as important in comparison to the general desire to continue that status quo. But, many, like myself, come here as an escape from the consistent offensive/serious content shoved down our throats that we are told to put up with, at risk of being labeled off as "snowflakes."

Just because someone can tolerate and keep putting up with hard-to-read content, like myself; doesn't mean I WANT to. I don't like depressing content all the time, and will go out of my way to avoid it usually - y'know, sue me.

Again, that rant above wasn't aimed at anyone, but to give an example of some genuine concerns readers other than myself might have. While there is no need to cater to any one person, I've personally seen several comments from different individuals with this same concern.

Thanks for taking the time to read this disorganized comment!

last edited at Oct 14, 2021 6:48PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yurimage posted:

For a possible solution to any negative feedback, would it be possible to potentially partition the site slowly over time, or maybe recommend based on search/read content on a user's profile? Since this site is bound to blow up in scale in the future, with more and more content being created/posted. Maybe a feature geared towards separating triggering/unwanted topics/tagged manga on an alt version of the site, like the switching from desktop to mobile... blacklisting is available, but it took me a while to notice it's usage, as a new user with an account. I understand that it is important to hold true the sites status quo, as it works. And, that personal emotions of the individual readers aren't always as important in comparison to the general desire to continue that status quo. But, many, like myself, come here as an escape from the consistent offensive/serious content shoved down our throats that we are told to put up with, at risk of being labeled off as "snowflakes."

Sure, thanks for making it. Well, I'll get right to the real substance I'm able to reply to.

I'm sorry to say it would be technically infeasible, at our size, to offer separate versions of the site. More realistically, we do have some spoiler tagging options in the works that ought to fix many tagging issues, implementation pending. Related; an expanded tagging system and semi-automated tag suggestions will make our jobs a lot easier, the user experience superior and hopefully curb many unfortunate surprises. That is something I am actively working on. More along the lines of your suggestion, I could see there being expanded blacklist options or functionality in the future, but we haven't discussed this yet and it mostly depends on resource availability.

Also I'm not quite sure how or when, but I would definitely anticipate the FAQ, rules, and a lot of general site navigability stuff (including blacklisting) to gain better visibility. Users should at least be aware of some basic options and rules before browsing or posting, and I think the implementation of that will be quite manageable at some point in the future.

last edited at Oct 14, 2021 8:27PM

868e64eacaeed480084b005ae21b7c4c
joined Jul 19, 2018

Sure, thanks for making it. Well, I'll get right to the real substance I'm able to reply to.

I'm sorry to say it would be technically infeasible, at our size, to offer separate versions of the site. More realistically, we do have some spoiler tagging options in the works that ought to fix many tagging issues, implementation pending. Related; an expanded tagging system and semi-automated tag suggestions will make our jobs a lot easier, the user experience superior and hopefully curb many unfortunate surprises. That is something I am actively working on. More along the lines of your suggestion, I could see there being expanded blacklist options or functionality in the future, but we haven't discussed this yet and it mostly depends on resource availability.

Also I'm not quite sure how or when, but I would definitely anticipate the FAQ, rules, and a lot of general site navigability stuff (including blacklisting) to gain better visibility. Users should at least be aware of some basic options and rules before browsing or posting, and I think the implementation of that will be quite manageable at some point in the future.

I see, that sounds like a great idea and would really help with a lot of complications! Thank you for taking time to reply when you're busy with stuff like this!!

last edited at Oct 14, 2021 10:37PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.