Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

joined Jun 25, 2017

Warning! Serious spoilers here!
The MC is not actually Oohashi Rei, she only thinks she is. The original Rei is basically a god that administers humanity, but she is going to try and kill everyone very soon, because her love for Claire is wearing off. Because of that, an AI that Claire created in the first Timeloop made a bunch of copies of Rei in an attempt to ceate a replacement administrator. The MC is the best of this copies and as such was put in this place at the star of the timeloop. This is also why some Rei look-a-likes will appear in the future. They are failed copies of the OG Rei that were given a place in the world.

What the heck? That sounds really bad. Like someone wrote a bad fanfic. What they were thinking?

Is this a joke?? Lol
I just read volume 2 (light novel)
And none of this happens.
In fact, what happens is super YURI and fantastic. I won't spoil it, because I don't how to cover spoilers. I'm a newby. Lol

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's no joke. It's quite the Xenogears sort of story

Doesn't that mean the entire point of this series is pretty much secondary to the world instead?

The romance is as relevant as it has always been. Which is to say, equal or secondary to the Revolution/politics plots. Politics hinges on the romance and vice versa throughout

For the record, the quality of writing has always been at fanfic level, it's just been a very popular series. The pacing is wild, conflict resolves as a matter of fact or because Rei is just Rei, everything always always works out so the stakes aren't really there, there are no literary devices or figurative language at all, conflict resolution is rarely something the reader can piece together beforehand and instead solved by things only the characters know, not foreshadowing much at all, etc.

And yet damn is it a fun read

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 12:59PM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Guys they're obviously joking

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Guys they're obviously joking

We're really not.

Here, see for yourself: https://jingletranslations.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/i-favor-the-villainess-231/
The above has massive spoilers, DO NOT READ IT UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO. It will spoil most of the plot up to that point. And a decent amount was planned out from the beginning. Those chapters will likely be toward the end of book 3 or the beginning of book 4. And don't forget to pick up book 3 in English this July!!

For the record, Rei also isn't joking at the end of chapter 6, if that's what you were referring to

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 1:05PM

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Lmao^

A3974806713_10
joined Sep 23, 2019

wtf these spoilers be making this story just stranger and stranger like some sorta odd fanfic, i just hope to see more cuteness and romance blooming between the two ;w;

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

I know people tend to get attached to the fan-translated titles that they originally got used to but it's becoming awkward seeing this series still listed as "I Favor the Villainess" when even the Japanese covers say, in English, "I'm in Love with the Villainess."

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

The MC is not actually Oohashi Rei, she only thinks she is. The original Rei is basically a god that administers humanity, but she is going to try and kill everyone very soon, because her love for Claire is wearing off. Because of that, an AI that Claire created in the first Timeloop made a bunch of copies of Rei in an attempt to ceate a replacement administrator. The MC is the best of this copies and as such was put in this place at the star of the timeloop. This is also why some Rei look-a-likes will appear in the future. They are failed copies of the OG Rei that were given a place in the world.

Wow, I was curious about what the spoiler was, but did not expect this.
I honestly have no idea how the author will pull this off. But it sounds like a lot of fun. And kudos to the author for just going ham with the storyline.

last edited at Feb 10, 2021 12:02AM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Wow, I was curious about what the spoiler was, but did not expect this.
I honestly have no idea how the author will pull this off. But it sounds like a lot of fun. And kudos to the author for just going ham with the storyline.

i'm so confused right now

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I know people tend to get attached to the fan-translated titles that they originally got used to but it's becoming awkward seeing this series still listed as "I Favor the Villainess" when even the Japanese covers say, in English, "I'm in Love with the Villainess."

You're falling into the trap of assuming that the English text on manga covers is (a) a translation of the Japanese title, and (b) accurate. Having said that, I'd go with "The Villainess Is My Favourite" myself.

Elixhono
joined Apr 28, 2020

Yeah the serious gets crazy later on, but still lots of fun to read, even though it can be anti-climatic at times.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Hey man, I'm down for craziness so long as we can still get some good romance along the way

I mean, I think Inferno Cop and Kung Fury are works of art, so that should tell you how easily amused I am lol

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

You're falling into the trap of assuming that the English text on manga covers is (a) a translation of the Japanese title, and (b) accurate. Having said that, I'd go with "The Villainess Is My Favourite" myself.

I didn't assume either. Localized titles aren't always direct translations, it's not at all uncommon. In fact, when a fan-translated title differs from an official localization, I assume the fan one to be more literal or "accurate." But that doesn't matter; what matters is the title the book is being sold as, and in this case, it's not "I Favor the Villainess" no matter what country you live in.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The artist is once again asking fans to vote for this series as "the manga series you want the most to get an anime adaptation" in the AnimeJapan 2021 poll

https://twitter.com/inori_narou/status/1362377767900209156

https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/

I Favor the Villainess is option 101

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I didn't assume either. Localized titles aren't always direct translations, it's not at all uncommon. In fact, when a fan-translated title differs from an official localization, I assume the fan one to be more literal or "accurate." But that doesn't matter; what matters is the title the book is being sold as, and in this case, it's not "I Favor the Villainess" no matter what country you live in.

At least for the English versions, it's pretty useful to separate the sanctioned fan translation web novel from the commercially produced light novel or the coming commercially produced manga.

last edited at Feb 18, 2021 12:50PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

The artist is once again asking fans to vote for this series as "the manga series you want the most to get an anime adaptation" in the AnimeJapan 2021 poll

https://twitter.com/inori_narou/status/1362377767900209156

https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/

I Favor the Villainess is option 101

We can do this!! You can vote from multiple devices too!

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

I just think "I Favor the Villainess" is a classier more interesting title

I voted for the villainess. I hope it gets the chance and if it does, hope they do it justice
and don't botch it. crosses fingers

Screenshot_2021-10-17-05-27-52-38
joined Jan 19, 2021

masochist x tsundere stories sure are great :)

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Thanks so much to Nyashi for allowing us to continue hosting this series! We'll once again be following the serialized chapters as they're released!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Thanks so much to Nyashi for allowing us to continue hosting this series! We'll once again be following the serialized chapters as they're released!

Oh, so did Gucci Gang officially drop this series? Oh well.

I've actually been really looking forward to chapter 7, especially considering how the ending's pretty different from what happened in the web/light novel. While the conversation with Rei saying she's gay is basically the same the scene with their other classmates gossiping about Rei and Claire dumping water on them was new to the manga.

The original ending was actually pretty depressing since it just had Rei asking if Claire hated her and Claire responding "Of course!" By adding the new scene in (even if it's a bit of a cliche), not only is Claire going through some (early) character development by defending Rei, it also flipped the original scene's dialogue into Claire being tsundere and Rei being delighted - a much happier and heartwarming ending.

Edit: The conversation about the Academy Knights and Rei's fantasies in chapter 8 were also new to the manga. The Academy Knights originally wasn't mentioned until a bit later, so them talking about it now is more build-up than anything else. Rei's fantasies, on the other hand, is more of an excuse to see Rei and Claire flirt some more (not that I'm complaining lol)

last edited at Mar 16, 2021 1:20AM

joined Nov 27, 2016

Lol, I just noticed the scanlation name

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Chapter 7 was unexpectedly accurate and mature at the moment of handling the topic of homosexuality. This series really is amazing.

Genbuakicon
joined Jun 27, 2015

Ganbatte scanlator, your work is not unappreciated.

t6e1mediumtank
joined Feb 9, 2021

Does anyone know if there is actual yuri later on? Do Rei and Claire end up together ? Just asking because chapter 7 left a bad taste and I don't want to waste my time with garbage

last edited at Mar 16, 2021 2:41AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.