Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

It's not a complete victory, but it's better than nothing.

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 3:41PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

MR was not able to live up to its full potential, which is an utter shame. The closure came out of nowhere given how active the community was and what could have been if the game had been managed a different way. You have a right to be salty haha.

The worst part is that considering how rushed the pacing was and that they even moved seasonal events from future years back, it really feels like they planned to milk as much as possible from the game and shut it down once interest fails enough from the start.

Here's my absolute favorite moment in the game (that will make sense to literally no one else).

Nah. I get it too. That's my favorite part of IroYachi too and pretty much moment that cemented to me the story as a great one. Iroha proposing to Yachiyo. What more can you ask for?

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 5:44PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Y'know what, after watching that video, maybe I should watch playthroughs of MagiReco on YouTube. Would certainly help me solidify my position as amongst the most knowledgable anime-onlys (if not the most knowledgable anime-only).

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Here you go almost 40 images just of YachiIro.

Niiice.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

The worst part is that considering how rushed the pacing was and that they even moved seasonal events from future years back, it really feels like they planned to milk as much as possible from the game and shut it down once interest fails enough from the start.

I want to have faith that it wasn't all a money pump scheme from the start, but we will never know either way unless somebody internal to the decision-making discloses. I feel like it wasn't though. The quality of content provided didn't start slipping until very recently.

Here's my absolute favorite moment in the game (that will make sense to literally no one else).

Nah. I get it too. That's my favorite part of IroYachi too and pretty much moment that cemented to me the story as a great one. Iroha proposing to Yachiyo. What more can you ask for?

Ha yes, that was pretty much my reaction too. Defining character moment for Iroha and the scene that made me fall in love with the game's story and characters.

Y'know what, after watching that video, maybe I should watch playthroughs of MagiReco on YouTube. Would certainly help me solidify my position as amongst the most knowledgable anime-onlys (if not the most knowledgable anime-only).

If you want to do that, definitely start with watching the main story chapters. As a warning, MR main story recordings are very messy. One person has recorded all of JP's Arc 1, with their own English subtitles, and some of NA Arc 1, but to date nobody has recorded all of NA Arc 1. There are people working on it though and once they're done with it, I'd recommend Muffinrecord for their videos. Muffin is aiming for a total archival.

It's still not going to be the same because some small details regarding the fights/enemies that show up will be lost, but for just getting the main story experience, it'll be pretty close. If you want to go deeper than the main story, it'll be an absolute catastrophe if you're watching things blind and out of order, so feel free to ask if you want pointers.

Of course once I get around to it, I'll be posting a few more videos too, but those will be catered to my personal preferences and not a complete archive by any measure.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Just keep in mind the NA version's a bit on the localized side(eg, as you saw in the video, they have Yachiyo calling her "Iroha" even when she isn't - and relabel "pantsu" as "socks" at another point).

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I wrote the first draft of a fanfic chapter. It is unpolished but I'm just happy I've written anything mildly complete.

The story is mostly introspective, not very action-heavy, and it's about how Iroha deals with her feelings for Yachiyo. Spoilers: Iroha's not very good at telling people what she thinks.

Link is here and I am actively looking for feedback on it! Doc allows comments to be made and of course I'll also read anything here. When I progress the story a few more chapters and have made edits, I'll start posting it on AO3 then.

As for actual game-related news, I do sort of miss NA tempo. XD But JP's significantly more relaxed speed and relative lack of pots does mean there's time to do other things now. Have also continued leveling up episodes for all of my units. Am very close to letting them all reach episode lvl 5.

Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I've been thinking about it. What do AP Potions taste like? Are the sweet like honey? Bitter like some real life medicine? Are they a magical equivalent of coffee?

joined Oct 22, 2018

joined May 28, 2016

Young Yachiyo and Mifuyu are sure cute. I really like Mifuyu's long hair here.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Is it just me, or is Yachiyo looking a bit smug in that image?

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Now we just need a Tsuruno and Felicia duo unit, Momoko and Mitama one, Masara and Kokoro, and Riko and Ashley one.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Regardless;

@riverFlower
So, I've watched what Main Story videos Muffin had released thus far, so what do you suggest next? Since I'm planning to stick to Muffin for now should I go to Another Story before watching each meguca's Side Stories?

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Regardless;

@riverFlower
So, I've watched what Main Story videos Muffin had released thus far, so what do you suggest next? Since I'm planning to stick to Muffin for now should I go to Another Story before watching each meguca's Side Stories?

Hmm. I would suggest watching Another Story whenever, but before you watch chapter 8, I would recommend watching the side stories for quite a few magical girls as well as a few events.

I'll list out the MSS I think would make chapter 8 more enjoyable. They're sort of ordered in importance, though I mostly just chose the ones that first came to mind: Rika + Ren (in this order), Felicia, Kokoro + Masara (in this order), Shizuku + Ayaka, Sana, Mitama, Mifuyu, Tsukasa or Tsukuyo, Tsuruno

Events: Breakpoint (very important for main story context), A Diary to Write With You (for Rika + Ren content), And So The Azaleas Bloom (this one isn't as essential cause it's so long, a summary should suffice for understanding Hazuki, Konoha, and Ayame), Reaching a New Best Day (for Kokoro + Masara content), Mitama's Special Training - Iroha & Yachiyo, Voices From Beyond

joined Oct 22, 2018

Regardless;

@riverFlower

Hmm. I would suggest watching Another Story whenever, but before you watch chapter 8, I would recommend watching the side stories for quite a few magical girls as well as a few events.

I'll list out the MSS I think would make chapter 8 more enjoyable. They're sort of ordered in importance, though I mostly just chose the ones that first came to mind: Rika + Ren (in this order), Felicia, Kokoro + Masara (in this order), Shizuku + Ayaka, Sana, Mitama, Mifuyu, Tsukasa or Tsukuyo, Tsuruno

Events: Breakpoint (very important for main story context), A Diary to Write With You (for Rika + Ren content), And So The Azaleas Bloom (this one isn't as essential cause it's so long, a summary should suffice for understanding Hazuki, Konoha, and Ayame), Reaching a New Best Day (for Kokoro + Masara content), Mitama's Special Training - Iroha & Yachiyo, Voices From Beyond

Thank you!

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Final week countdown begins, technically starts tomorrow but whatever. I'm ready for NA to be laid to rest. Moving on to JP and CN has helped a lot with that, and it is also somewhat infuriating just how bare bones and incompetent gallery mode is.

NA has still brought me lots of good memories, including on here, so I'm grateful for it of course. But I'm probably going to need that storage space it's taking up lol.

Got a few new, last-minute magical girls from the daily 10x tickets, and I'm stupidly also trying to bring them up to episode lvl 5. Because of lack of time, I'm sure I'll have to focus on recording the things I enjoyed most soon instead of doing that.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

it is also somewhat infuriating just how bare bones and incompetent gallery mode is.

Lol, indeed.

I haven't been on this website for a few weeks as I have been busy, but anyway here is some info:

https://xn--80aalyho.xn--p1ai/magireco/NAgitan/suffering // https://tinyurl.com/SaveYourGirls

• This function saves your NA server account data into a zipped folder.

• You must do this BEFORE server closure. Countdown to server closure can be found here: https://www.rumor.moe/

• You do not need ANY programming knowledge to execute this, just a transfer ID + password from the NA server.

• If you get a message saying "CORS disabled," follow the links provided in the error message to enable CORS on your web browser, then try again with the CORS extension running in your browser. Be sure to uninstall that extension after you get your data, it's not a safe thing to leave on.

• You cannot use this alone to download/run Magia Record. Think of this as rescuing your girls + memoria and putting them in an indefinite "stasis" until a method to recreate the game is successful.

• The program works completely on the client side, none of the information is recorded or stored on the owner's server. That means the person who runs the webpage can't see anything anyone types into the form.

• This method does unbind your account, so if you want to open the live game again before server closure, you need to reenter your transfer ID + password in the live server to "transfer" back over.

last edited at Oct 30, 2020 9:18PM by

The server currently has 5 hours 41 minutes left so you should be quick

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Some people were doing the file save at the very last minute, amusingly.

Gallery mode is now accessible even with wifi on, for me at least. It was previously unavailable unless I put on airplane mode. What garbage, I'm tempted to say, but it's clear they did have to rework stuff. Who knows why. If I'm being charitable, it's possible there were issues with keeping all of the original assets, font, etc. on player side. If I'm being not charitable, this is total garbage and they could have just given us the actual archive.

Anyway, because I'm too sentimental, I'm still tempted to keep the app since I have the storage space. Maybe one day when I have no attachment to it anymore, I'll delete it then.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

Some people were doing the file save at the very last minute, amusingly.

I figured there's no point. If the game will be ever back, NA will have our data. If it'll be private server, too much hassle and no real point.

Gallery mode is now accessible even with wifi on, for me at least. It was previously unavailable unless I put on airplane mode. What garbage, I'm tempted to say, but it's clear they did have to rework stuff. Who knows why. If I'm being charitable, it's possible there were issues with keeping all of the original assets, font, etc. on player side. If I'm being not charitable, this is total garbage and they could have just given us the actual archive.

I logged in yesterday to make sure i got all data so it will work and I was surprised that live model and all of art wasn't loading when I went into magical girl section of archive. I downloaded all the data and it was still working like that. I assume it was some kind of glitch, but i checked the "gallery mode" today and it works exactly the same. What a utter garbage. They didn't let us see our costumes or listen to voices, so art was like only other reason you would want to keep game on device and even that part doesn't work. It's literally useless, because at best only thing you can do in it is read girl's backstory. What a complete trash. Animeplex gave us middle finger.

And about letting us keep archive, I assume they didn't want to give us all necessary data so we can play it on our devices, because it'd give us access to their code or something and they were afraid of people getting access to game on other servers thanks to that knowledge. Or alternatively it was simply impossible to make game able to run on device or it'd take a lot of space. Whatever they case it was incredibly half-assed.

What I "love" the most is how greedy they were till the end, shutting down the game, but not shutting down ability to buy gems and making sure they can be used till almost the end? They really believed someone would still want to spend money once game was shutting down?

The worst part was that after logging first time in 2 months, I really did enjoy this game at start. If they weren't greedy asshole and just let us play at normal pace with 2 years gap between NA and JP, I bet this game would still be very successful. But that's capitalism for you. It's never ending upper ladder. Every time you cross new threshold on profit, anything bellow it, even if successful in its niche, is considered unprofitable and failure and cut down. That's why the bigger company is, the less creative and safer their investments are.

last edited at Oct 31, 2020 5:40PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Can someone please explain to me why are there so many TF2 comments on Arc 2 OSTs on YouTube?

joined Oct 22, 2018

So uhh...

I thought I'll be able to watch some of the stories from JP server, if not TLd then at least subbed, by following links from the Puella Magi Wiki...
But after finishing Mirrors and trying to move onto Another Story and Personal Stories I've hit a brick wall, and I have a sneaking suspicion something similar might happen if I try watching some Event Stories too. (I just hope Main Story doesn't have the same problem).
So uh... Can anyone drop me some recommendations on where to find TLd or subbed JP content?

To reply you must either login or sign up.